From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Hill)
Subject: Re: Can someone help me make my Laptop life easier?
Date: 24 Mar 1999 06:44:15 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have installed RedHat 5.2 on a laptop and I am using it to connect
>to 3 different networks (not at the same time 8^) ), the one at my
>office, one at a client site that I am at frequently and my home
>network. Is there an easy way to set things up so that I can choose
>which network I'm trying to connect to?

There is a package called 'netenv' that will supposedly do what you need
(you pass the network config by name at bootup and it writes the proper
info from a "here's all my configs and their names" file into the proper
places).  I have only just begun twiddling with this problem myself, but
here's a pointer to it:

www.uni-bielefeld.de/~portgym/net/netenv.html

Hope this helps.

Jim
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/

                  "Visualize world peace...good.
                Now wake up and smell the coffee."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:18:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  David Frye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In his obvious haste, David Frye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
> > : We have one of the best OS's going in this day and age. We have NO
> > : applications (of the windows sense for the average Joe) that are polished
> > : enough to stand up against the Windows World and be practical for every
> > : day usage.
> >
> > Welll... Apart from GIMP and Wordperfect 8...
> > (I'm not putting StarOffice into the same class.)
> >

> WordPerfect 8 on Linux is the most crippled, sick piece of software
> that I have seen. Corel couldn't sell it to the windows crowd, and
> now they are trying to push it off on the Linux users.

What do you consider good? WordPerfect isn't all that bad at all... I'd like
to see some inprovements, but, honestly, this plain Joe user doesn't need any
more than WordPerfect has to offer.... heck, knote (or is it kjots) is plenty
for me:-)

Your not talking about plain janes... I'm not sure what your talking about.
(corporate America maybe?)

> Gimp is very good, an outstanding piece of work, but mimic's the
> poor Adobe interface

I've got to say, I like Adobe photoshop SOOOOO much more than GIMP or Corel
Photopaint, and I've tried all the versions of them all and many other apps.
AdobePhotoshop4 just smokes them all.... and 5 has no competition. For me,
gimp is it's competition only because of platform issues. I wouldn't say
Adobe's interface is poor at all. I would say, if Gimp mimiced it more to the
letter, it'd be in a much better standing in my book. I like the Gimp though,
and I'll probably continue to use it for a long time.

> StarOffice SUCKS, but it does do a better job than WordPerfect on
> importing/exporting Word 97 docs. The spreadsheet also does a fairly
> good impression of Excel, not that Excel is any good either.
>
> By the way, do Corel and StarDivision remind anyone but me of those
> drug pushers that hang around school yards giving their wares away
> for free until they thinked that they have them hooked, and then
> start charging outrages fees for the crap?

Isn't the linux moto something to the effect of "do it yourself"

There have been some pretty great apps brought over to linux in recent
times... I'd like to see more because I can't do it myself. I'm not a linux
developer, I'm just taking all the free stuff, but I'll support companies
like Corel and StarDivision as much as I can because their apps are helping a
lot of people... and because of that, more and more linux people are finding
linux more usable. (that and the whole desktop thing and install thing and so
on and so on)

There more people and companies linux has supporting it... the more companies
will swing this way. If there's a market, they will come :-)

Linux is on it's way to the corporate desktop and user desktop... and moving
faster than anything else out there. Saying xyz app sucks won't help,
especially since the don't suck, they're just not everything you desire them
to be.

"it SUCKS" "the most crippled, sick piece of software"... that won't help. It
won't help their developers to figure out what you need or want, it won't
help get the job done, and it won't help anyones image. At the very least,
state what it is that you don't like about them. You didn't even say which
apps out there DO fit your needs in word processing/spreadsheet...

BACK to the subject... I haven't tried gnome yet. I find kde to be really
nice though. I've now got an intuitive desktop configured to work the way I
work (I've got the mac theme on it, which isn't 100% mac-like, but I feel
it's what the mac should look like). I've got easy to use small fast apps
that increase my productivity (k's callendar, post-it notes thing, kedit,
netscape4.51, a nice file manager that's web enabled, a quick tiny graphics
editor, gimp, kmpg gqmpeg and mgp123, xcdroast... ). The things I'm missing
don't seem to be very important to the majority, but hopefully they'll move
over to linux or be developed for linux soon someday (a good vector editing
program, animation and video editing suites, and I haven't found an html
wysiwyg editor I liked yet- the only windows one I really like it HotMetal
Pro... I'm just too picky there).

I fully expect the things I still need to cost me money. They're professional
tool for a minority of computer users. Ones exist on other platforms that I
really like, I'm just hoping they'll move this way someday... and I don't
think they have anything to do with a good desktop environment.

From: Eric Leblond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: use two "scsi-hostadapter" with kmod
Date: 24 Mar 1999 12:39:38 +0100

I have a Zip parallel port who use the ppa module
and a card aha1505ae (for my scanner ) who use the aha152x
module.

I'd like to use both in the same time with automatic
 load of the modules.

The problem is they are both declared as
 scsi-hostadapter( alias scsi-hostadapter ppa...
 in /etc/conf.modules ).
What should I do?

I try to use char-major but it does not work.

--
Eric Leblond
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Karl Soar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Yet another pppd/modem problem.....
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:19:40 +0000

Dear Gurus,

Installed Red Hat 5.1 recently on an old 486 'project machine' (see
spec at foot of this message if interested)

All seemed to be going swimmingly, XF86_S3 sorted, kernel rebuilt OK
for ethernet, SCSI, soundcard support etc, but when I try to set up
a PPP (with PAP) [module (?) = ppp0]  to my ISP, the modem just won't
dial out...

A few flashes from the TR LED on the modem (CS stays lit throughout),
then
Network Cnfigurator reports the interface is alive...hooray I think...

But trying to ping my ISP I get no response, and ifconfig reports only
the loopback
device running.  (dmesg output is also shown below)

So I added in debug support and here's some sample lines from my
/var/log/ppp-log (over a 1-2 second period):

pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/cua2 at 9600
pppd 2.2.3 started by root, uid 0
tcgetaddr: Input/output error(5)        ( <----- HMMMM....curious.....)
Exit

So then I tried playing with minicom, but strange things happen when it
tries to initialise
the modem...

The Init string characters are echoed to the console   v  e  r  y    s
l  o  w   l  y   indeed
(maybe one every 10-20 secs) getting progressively slower until nothing
appears to
happening at all and I usually end up killing the process...

Can anyone shed any light or point me in the direction of some
enlightened soul
before I tear any more hair out and admit defeat (2 weeks or
investigation with little
prior Linux experience)

Many thanks in advance,
Karl Soar

Output from dmesg
==========================
modprobe cannot locate module ppp0      (  <--- This had me
wondering.....)
PPP: Version 2.2.0
TCP Compression code etc...
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code etc...
PPP line discipline registered
SLIP version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY
CSLIP code copyright etc...
SLIP linefill/keepalive option

Minicom Strings
======================
INIT : ~^M~AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0^M
Dialing Prefix #1: ATDT<myISPnumber>
Dialing Prefix #2: ATDP

System Spec
=================
8mb RAM, Quantum Pioneer 2.1GB IDE HDD,
Adaptec 1542B on IRQ11 (base: 330),
'Old Faithful' Micropolis 135MB(!) SCSI HDD,
Miro 10SD w/GENDAC (VLB),
Mirosoft compatible serial mouse on COM1 (x03f8, IRQ4),
USR Sportster 14.4 external modem on COM2 (x02f8, IRQ 3),
SMC/WD8013 ethernet card (base 280, IRQ 5) (kernel module:eth0),
Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 (s/b compatible) (base: 220, IRQ7)

------------------------------

From: "Jim Seymour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I determine the number of messages in my mail box?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:27:05 -0800

I need to know the number of messages in my mailbox from a shell program.
Any simple way to do this?  I'm running RedHat 5.2.

Here's why:  A friend cobbled together a single-digit LED wired to a
parallel port.  I have a shell program which will send the appropriate byte
out /dev/lp1 to light the various segments of the LED.  I'd like to use it
as an external indicator for mail.  If the LED shows no messages, there's no
point in powering up my client machine to read my e-mail.

The second phase of this little project will be to chain into the mail
delivery and mail pickup somehow.  I'm reasonably sure I can do the delivery
portion via the /etc/aliases file (ie: When mail is delivered to me, I will
use an alias to trigger some program).  However, I collect mail via POP from
another machine on my network and would like to be able to have the LED
cleared when I download my messages (without using cron - which seems
inelegant).

-Jim Seymour

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: How can root get Permission Denied?
Date: 24 Mar 1999 04:24:40 GMT

One way is if the /etc/fstab contains the "noexec" option and you
don't override in on the mount command. If the cd is mounted on
/mnt/cdrom, then try "mount /mnt/cdrom -oexec,setuid" This allows
you to run programs (exec) and honor the setuid, if specified.

John

------------------------------

From: David Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: EGCS and KDE/Qt
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:42:01 -0800

Johan Groth wrote:

> Try the following ftp-link:
> ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/i386/RedHat/RPMS/
>
> You will find egcs-1.1.1 (not the newest but newer than the one you
> have; the newest is 1.1.2), kde and qt-1.44.

Don't try that link.  Most likely, they won't work on your system
without some other serious changes to glibc.  All the RPMS on rawhide
are compiled under glibc2.1, and Redhat5.2 used glibc2.0 which aren't
always quite compatible.  Use ftp://contrib.redhat.com instead.

-Dave

------------------------------

From: Gwyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem upgrading util-linux
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:16:28 +0000

Hi, I may be completely wrong, but I think the problem you are having lies in the
filesystem. Basically I remember seeing something similar to this which was
related to a filesystem problem and required hacking around in the filesystem to
fix ... alas I can't remember how. I suspect if you describe the problem to
someone who understands the ext2 filesystem (assuming thats what you're using)
they may be able to help. Sorry I know thats not much help. Good luck

Adrian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
Subject: Re: DHCP and name resolving
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:53:27 +0100

Ron schrieb in Nachricht <7d9072$nhi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>As far as I know it doesn't...
>I'm currently looking at some scripts somebody mailed me.
>
>Basically, what it does is, pulling the ip-numbers and hostnames form
>dhcpd.leases and making them available for DNS.
>
>If you're interessted i could mail the scripts;-)
>
>Another thingy is DyDNS, found it through:
>http://www.win.net/~utumno/features/dyndns.html
>
>Good Luck
>
>>How does my nameserver know which IP-address (assigned through DHCP)
>belongs
>>to which computer. How does DHCP and DNS work together.

Hello Ron,
could you please mail me the scripts ?
I've been looking for something like this, but did't succeed yet.
So - as a workaround - I gave fix IP-addresses to my machines.
Do you perhaps have a script for converting dns-host-table to reverse?
I'm using Suse-Linux with bind 8.

Bernd

------------------------------

From: "Chris Kerslake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: gmake exhausting virtual memory?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:57:14 GMT

I have been trying to install mico (2.2.4) on my Redhat linux 5.1 (2.0.34
kernel) and part of the way through the gmake I get the message:

"virtual memory exhausted"

... whereupon the make stops...

The system has 16 mb of RAM, and a single 16 mb swap partition...

1. How do I determine my virtual memory size (I assume it's 16 mb)?
2. How do I increase my vm to allow me to complete the make?

thanks,
Chris

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash version question
Date: 24 Mar 1999 01:01:30 -0800

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: csh scripts won't run
Date: 24 Mar 1999 00:55:18 -0800

------------------------------

From: Paul Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.9 - error in rpm:  cannot open /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc   ???
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:58:13 +1100

michael howard wrote:

> I get the same error.. and how do you install rpm manager.rpm when you
> cant install an rpm...hehe ... can you say loop hole??

Assuming you have a valid RPM file ("rpm -K --nopgp rpm_file"), you
could try converting it to cpio format with rpm2cpio.  I learned this
the hard way after trying to install a corrupt copy of the 5.2 RPM package;
rpm just core dumped, so I couldn't reinstall the old version.  Fortunately
rpm2cpio did work, which got me out of this mess.  I always test the RPMs
before installing them now.  :)

   Paul Taylor                                  Veni, vidi, tici -
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        I came, I saw, I ticked.