From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: 16 Jan 1999 00:24:46 GMT

Excuse me Mr. Viro, but I must ask you a question.  Are you one of those
idiots who plugs in a new computer or monitor without performing
electrical safety tests on it?  Have you taken any electronics/electrical
courses before you plug your equipment into the wall outlet?  My guess is
no.

Since you are clearly ignorant in the field of electrical safety, I must
insist that you run your computers on an isolation transformer in a
fireproof rubber lined room until you grasp the fundementals of
electricity and electronics.  There are simple things to consider before
doing. Like, what things are dangerous. Or what things are safe. Or just a
general idea of WTF happens.

You might want to connect the soundcard of your computer to your stereo
system.  The outlet of your computer could be on a different circuit that
the outlet your stereo is plugged into.  Ever hear of a ground loop?  The
patch cable between could overheat and burst into flames.  Your actions
could result in your death, endanger the lives of firefighters, and if you
live in a dorm/apartment, the lives of the general public.  The risks of
causing a ground loop are even greater when you run network cable.  Are
you sure the electrical wiring between the two PCs are at the same ground
potential?

When you fire up a monitor that hasn't been used in a few years, do you
bother to reform the capacitors?  Hell.  Why the f**k should you care.
Your doing this at work.  You don't give a rat's ass if the place burns
down and people die.  You have no respect for others Mr. Viro.  You are
being one reckless bastard.

Since you are obviously clueless about electronics and electricity like
the other mindless consumer drones, I suggest that you ask the power
company for their permission before you plug in any new computer
equipment.  An overloaded outlet can easily wreck a havok without any evil
intents.  Ever see a large commerical fire?

Oh I suppose you sometimes use those 3 prong cheater adapters, and have a
bare light bulb in your closet space and never mind those non GFCI
outlets.  Get a dammed copy of the National Electrical Code and RTFM.  If
you don't know the NEC you don't have any business flicking a light
switch.  You shouldn't be using ANY electricity.

Some holier than thou college student who knows more than YOU!

------------------------------

From: Kryz Caputa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WP8 equations<->MSWord?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:26:32 -0800

Rod Smith wrote:

> [...]
>
> 1) An equation editor in the product itself.  Most "serious" word
>    processors these days include one.  Many people in the sciences prefer
>    LaTeX because of what they consider its superior equation editor.
>    (Don't ask me for details; I don't use an equation editor enough to
>    know why LaTeX is claimed to be superior, or even to have an opinion
>    on the matter.)
> 2) Import/export filters, and the ability to handle equations
>    specifically.
>
> Given that most word processors DO have equation editors, "giving away"
> the market to Microsoft, as you suggest they do, implies that file
> exchange with MS Word is necessary.  Is it, though?  For some people,
> certainly, for any of a number of reasons.  For others, no.  If you're an
> academician who writes a solo paper, you can use whatever you want; file
> import/export is largely irrelevant.  If you're writing a paper with
> co-authors, you can decide as a group on what to use.  There's no law that
> says you have to use MS Word.  Sometimes a publisher will impose such a
> requirement, but not always.
>
> > Couldn't someone come up with an external filter, not a word processor,
> > no GUI, just a command line filter, something like msw2wp or msw2fm -
> > similar thing for framemaker and latex? Sounds like a good term project
> > for a computer science student - or is there mort to it than that? Are
> > the equations protected with a 128 bit key or something like that???
>
> This goes far beyond equations.  Document conversion isn't easy, else
> everybody would have perfect import/export filters.  The internals of one
> word processor's files may have requirements that don't map well onto the
> requirements for another program.  How do you handle features that aren't
> exactly equivalent between programs?  Font names?  Modern word processors
> have so many features and are so complex that doing a good conversion job
> would probably be as difficult as writing a word processor.
>
> Now, as to why equations in particular seem to be handled so poorly, I
> don't have any insights.
>
> In general and IMHO, import/export filters are not something you want to
> rely upon for everyday use, at least not when the same file is going back
> and forth repeatedly.  Each conversion will introduce new weirdnesses, and
> sooner or later it'll blow up in your face.  The more features you use,
> the sooner that'll happen.
>
> If you'd post precisely why the ability to read MS Word documents is so
> important to you, perhaps somebody could suggest some sort of workaround
> -- a way to avoid using MS Word, for instance, or some way to achieve
> whatever your goal is without loading a Word file into a Linux
> application.
>
> --
> Rod Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Thanks for the clarification about the full version of WP8 for linux.
The need for exchange of MSWord documents containing MSWord equations
comes from the fact that papers are being written in cooperation between
people with macintosh/office98 and X11 workstations. With WP8 for linux
it is now possible to do wordprocessing on one of our linux hosts while
sitting at a HP-UX or IRIX workstation, however this equation problem
efectively prevents us from being able to cooperate in writing
scientific papers.

Actually writing a conversion filter may not be as complicated as it
looks first. Between the users of MSWord and WP it could be agreed which
features should be used and which fonts. The conversion filter could
create the simplest possible format of the other document that preserves
the textual content, font sizes, paragraph alignment and equations
dumping the rest of it.

What other choices do we have? Throw away powerful unix machines loaded
with software and get each member of our group a PeeCee with Office?
Splurge some more and get macintoshes? Where would we put these if we
still need our X11 screens to get the actual research work done? That
does not appeal to me as a sensible solution.

Maybe the Wine project? Anybody out there that managed to outsmart the
system and make the Office run under Wine on a linux box, displaing its
window on a multitude of X11 screens thus giving many users access to
MSWord?

--
Kryz Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: netscape.public.general
Subject: Re: Share netscape 4.5 files between linux and nt4
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:32:02 -0700

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:05:53 +1100, "Jesus M. Salvo Jr."
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have netscape 4.5 installed both on nt4 and linux on a single machine.
> >I would like to be able to use netscape on either os and use and
> >maintain the same inbox, newsgroup settings, downloaded newsgroup
> >messages, bookmarks, etc.....
>
> Hello !
> I have my bookmarks shared, it should work for the other entries too.
> Do the following:

How about sharing the inbox between NS 4.5 and the kmail client?  I have
messed with this a little but it didn't work out right.  I suppose
something along the lines editing netscape.jr as with sharing between nt
and linux NS inboxes?

patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Which is the best Linux Distribution?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 00:30:55 GMT

Slackware!

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fonts still microscopic on Netscape
Date: 15 Jan 1999 23:21:12 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have SuSE 5.3 and Netscape 4.5.  I couldn't compile xfstt myself
> (didn't want to behave) so I got a binary from a friend.  It worked
> fine.  I installed a bunch of ttf fonts and ran xfstt from .xinitrc
> and it works.  Netscape recognized all the new fonts I put into the
> correct directories, and they work. All the fonts *look* fine, BUT,
> they are super tiny!  So I changed ..xinitrc to run xfstt --res 96.
> No change at all.  I haven't tried starting X with -dpi ***, yet
> though.
>
> My screen is 1152 x 864 on a 17" monitor.  I would think that
> wouldn't bee too much of a deal...
>
> Can anyone help?

I had the same problem, with the default X fonts.  Solved it, by using
this font path order:-

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Loren Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 01:01:57 GMT

In article <77ofit$h87$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So true - what you use is what you like.  A foreign graduate student here
>was all frustrated with windows because he was used to UNIX and coudn't
>figure out how to grep in windows.

Can you?
--
"Besides, it doesn't take much creativity or courage to figure out that
something which reads 'Danger: Flammable' on the label might be fun to

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:29:02 +1100
From: Christopher Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gimp and EPS

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Christopher Dawson wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I've done my time trying to look it up somewhere. When trying to save an
> >image in EPS format I get the error dialog
> >
> >"Postscript cannot handle images with alpha channels"
>
> Flatten the image before trying to save it.
>
> Zach

Muchos Gracias, I feel a bit stoopid though  :-)

Chris

------------------------------

From: Athan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to connect X-terminal?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:09:45 +0000

Box 1 redhat Send X server
box 2 HP ?? Receive X server

Type in HP Xhost or xhost +XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX [ip of RedHat]
Telnet from HP to RH then type [In bash]
export DISPLAY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:0.0
                                    ^^^IP of HP
then xterm &

That is all

Athan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Crossposted-To: linux.samba
Subject: samba / NT permissions?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:53:21 GMT

I have a 2-system micronet.  One is NT 4.0, the other is S.u.S.E. 5.3.
These are connected via ethernet.

I can ping in both directions.  I am successfully doing the samba
mounts of 2 NT shares during Linux startup.  Of the 3 Linux users, all
3 can see files on both NT shares.  However, only root can
delete/create/modify files on NT.  Also when I click on Network
Neighborhood on NT, which shows my Linux system, it says "network path
can not be found".

So...

1)  When NT tries to look at network neighborhood, is it trying to do
a Linux login of some sort?  I have matching userids on NT and Linux
with matching passwords.  Does it use the current NT userid to attempt
to access Linux, or what?  Also I have set the registry "patch" for
plain-text passwords which is what I am using in the startup mounts.

2.  One of the 2 shares on NTis set up giving Full access, and the
other to give Read access, to all users in my NT Linux local group.  I
am mounting these shares on linux as /winnt/linux-port (full access
granted on NT side) and /winnt/linux-stuff (read access granted on NT
side).  The intent is for all my Linux users to be able to read from
both, or write on the linux-port share.  I've tried chown and chmod
against the mount-points but samba seems to override that.  Not sure
what else to try at this point.

Thanks for any clues on this.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: Chris Gushue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Eudora for Linux is a good idea - Use Balsa
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:08:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Wayne Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
: As soon as gnome is released i'm moving from Eudora to Balsa.

: It's going to be a very good graphical email client, and part of the
: excellent gnome project.

: Arthur wrote:
:>
:> Victor Wagner wrote:
:> >
:> > Chris Gushue ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:> > : Does anyone out there besides me think that Eudora for Linux would be a
:> > : Good Thing? There aren't really any impressive email apps that I have
:> > : found for Linux (Netscape's mail is terrible IMHO). Maybe this has been
:> > : suggested before, I don't know. Maybe a petition can be started up
[snip]

Wow, this thread I started is still around :)
Actually, that's what I am considering doing - give Balsa a try when Gnome
is released. I gave Balsa a try not long ago, but it didn't want to
compile. Not that I tried too hard to fix the problem, but I'll be content
to wait for a different version. Right now I'm still using Pine (after
trying countless other email apps).

| Chris Gushue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Slackware 3.6-current / AMD K6 233 |
|       8:34pm  up 18:41,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00      |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jc)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: System Reset !! Help !!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:52:02 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:17:17 -0600, Pramod Mulay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I had the system running, with all the features (X, apache, all
>deamons... etc). But due
>someones carelessness the machine was reset. The system restarted and
>now it does not
>recognize the hard disk ( I think that the FAT has been damaged).
Nothing will solve it unless you talk to the someone about not messing
linux up.

>I tried to use the rescue disk but it gives the following message :
>hda : no response (status = 0xf4)
>hda : non-IDE drive, CHS=1024/16/63
>Partition check:
> hda: status timeout : status=0xf4 { Busy }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xf4
>VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER
>It mounts the ext2 filesystem....in readonly mode....then..

>Unable to open an initial console.
>
>After this it just does nothing....
>
>Please give me some information how  I could revieve my system...
>The last alternative would be to install the system again... which I
>want to avoid.
I'm guessing it's wrong CMOS setup. Reboot & go there. Check the
settings. New mobos can auto-detect HDs and set 'em up. Save and exit.
Boot linux. Also, check the HD cables under the hood. I had the same
prob w/ a cd drive w/ loose cable and wrong jumpers

>Thanks in advance. Any help would be highly appreciated.
no prob.

------------------------------

From: Evan L. Schemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suid to change cd?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:37:41 GMT

I was successful in using suid to get pppd to run as anyone, and thought it
might be useful to do something similar for changing the cd.  In order to
do that, you have to umount, then mount after swapping.  So, I wrote
two little scripts:

catnip> more cdon
#!/bin/sh
mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /cdrom

catnip> more cdoff
#!/bin/sh
umount /cdrom

Then I did  chmod 4755 for both of them.  Then I tried cdon as a regular user,
and got this:

catnip> cdon
mount: only root can do that

The files are stored in /usr/local/sbin.
catnip> ls -lag
total 4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin          1024 Jan 14 18:24 .
drwxr-xr-x  16 root     root         1024 Nov 18 12:49 ..
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root           24 Jan 14 18:24 cdoff
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root           43 Jan 14 18:24 cdon

Is it not possible to do this with mount?  Have I missed a step?

Thanks
Schemm

------------------------------

From: Alan Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:41:10 -0600

Lou wrote:

> Want to play quake and make it look like glass, get a wintel with all
> the tricks and have at you!  Or wait 6 mos to a year for Linux ports
> to be written by benevolent souls who take their spare time and write
> this stuff.  Don't expect the guys at ID to have a Linux crew hard at
> work, they have their hands full trying to get Quake to load with a
> 640k barrier.

You are aware, aren't you, that id released the source to Doom.  The
Linux version that is.  AFAIK they have not released the DOS version of
the code.  When they released it, someone at id (Carmack?  Romero?) said
something like "We don't make any money from this, but it gives me a
woody."

Quake and Quake2 executables are available for free download for Linux.
You still have to buy the Windows version to get the data files though.

Quake3 will be released for Linux the same day as the Windows and Mac
version are.

id was the company rebelling again Direct-3D (or Direct-X, whatever it
is) and supporting Open/GL instead.  I'd say that that is one company
that supports Linux.  I just wish there were more.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (djb)
Subject: Re: Install KDE
Date: 16 Jan 1999 01:39:43 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:40:12 +0100, Ulf Bohman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ehonda wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>>                I got RH5.2 CD from CheapByte.I have successfully
>> installed the program and please advise how to install the KDE which
>> is not in the RPM directory.
>>
>> When i use the command rpm -i kde it comes out can't open the file
>> Thanks for your help.
>
>KDE is not just one rpm-file you have to install. It's a bunch of
>libraries and apps.
>Go to http://www.kde.org to find out what you need to do -  it's all
>there. I don't think KDE is on the RH5.2 CD, so probably you'll have to
>download it.
>
>KDE can be good to start out with if you're new to Linux. It includes a
>bunch of good apps that makes it easier to get you started.
>
>Good luck.
>
>/Ulf

KDE is on the Redhat 5.2 cd from Cheapbytes (or it was on the one I had
delivered last week).  The rpms are buried deep beneath the kde directory
(<your-cdrompath>/kde/distribution/RedHat/i386/binary).  You have to install
the rpms in a certain order - this is given in the file README-2rh51-rpms,
which is in the same directory.

The same file will point you to further directions for post-installation.
It was actually a relatively painless installation, but you have to follow
the instructions carefully.

Hope this helps....

David.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chetan Ahuja)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 and cable modem configuration
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:59:44 GMT

Steve Sanyal ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,

: I've been trying to set up my Rogers Wave @home service with Linux 5.2,
: which I just installed on my system earlier this week.  I am very new to
: UNIX and Linux - I'm currently learning UNIX in a course at university.

: The HOWTO docs appear to describe the setup for a static IP setup, but I
: know that Rogers uses DHCP these days.  I suspect that the document is from
: an earlier time, but this has left me a bit confused.

   Note: Following assumes that your network card is setup properly and
functioning as it should.

   I have setup a cable modem connection from  TCI and my setup was as
easy as it gets. I just asked RedHat install to run dhcp deamon at bootup
it automatically sets up the IP address/subnet mask etc.

: I have set up my DHCP client in Linuxconfig and I originally set it up when
: I installed Linux.  That worked fine.

   Well make sure the deamon is actually running.... if you are on the
machine now, just run 'top' and look for the process named dhcpcd. If dhcpd
runs at startup it normally  shows some messages that tell you  that
its trying to get the IP address... it usually takes a few seconds so
you should be able to catch it if its actually working... . If you don't
see it running, don't fret... make sure you are root and type 'dhcpcd -d'
from the command line ( do man dhcpcd to see what that means).
If this succeeds then you are simply not starting the dhcpcd on bootup.
See below for how to do that.

  If you see the process running... and 'ifconfig' shows eth0 connected
to a valid looking IP address ( that you didn't assign statically... don't
do that if you want to run dhcpcd ) then the problem almost surely
is that your cable connection is down at the moment. I must mention
here that I have tried @home service ( it is distinct from the TCIMET
service here.. one can choose between the two) and their network is
pathetic. The two weeks I was on @home.. I spent most of my time
pulling my hair out of my head. I promptly switched back to TCIMET
( which is better but still leaves a lot to be desired in 24 hour
availability dept.)

  So your problem could simply be that your

: In Windows NT (my other operating
: system), all I had to do was say that my DHCP would assign an IP address,
: and it took care of the rest.  I have a device called eth0, which has set up
: my ethernet card, and it is activated (as I can see in the network
: configuration parameters in Xfree86).

: However, I cannot connect to the net.  I've tried setting up the IP address,
: the default gateway and subnet mask (which I obtained using the ipconfig
: program in Windows NT)  manually as well when Netscape didn't work, and it
: hasn't made a difference.

: I set my hostname value to CRxxxxxx-A which is the same hostname I use in

    Your hostname shouldn't matter. I know netscape says something like
" 'your host name' was not found... this could be DNS problem etc etc"
but that is netscape just trying to act a little too smart...

: Windows NT.  Netscape simply says that any address I enter does not have a
: DNS entry, which I realize means my TCP/IP has not been set up correctly.

   If dhcp is configuring your system , you should not have a
DNS problem.. dns numbers are setup as part of the dhcp configuration process...
in fact if dhcp is running and  has been setup correctly at the ISP end,
you should not need to fiddle with ANY network settings.

: I'd really like to get this up and running, as well as my mail account, so I
: can start using Linux more regularly.  Are there any good sites that would
: be a useful guide to a novice such as myself?  I also want to make sure that
: I don't leave my computer open to hackers!

    well.. try running  the command 'setup' from command line. This
I think is the easiest and clearest way to setup some of the things (specially
 system services ) in the RedHat distro. Make sure dhcp deamon is selected to run
at bootup and if you want absolute security, don't select any of the internet
deamons like ftpd,httpd, telnetd ,inetd , smbd etc...These are all servers and
you won't need them unless you are serving web pages or ftp files
from your computer to the outside world. ( although most of them,  especially
smbd will be useful if you have other computers in your internal network)

  All the best
 Chetan

: Thanks

: Steve