  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Jack Troughton)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: 16 Jan 1999 06:08:05 GMT

[someone wrote this, but their name was clipped by the time I got to it)

>>The Mac's GUI is *still* the GUI to beat.

No. NeXTSTEP is *THE* GUI to beat. ;)

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself  the
 difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: 15 Jan 1999 23:10:08 -0800

    >> It's correct to take responsibility for one's actions (usually
    >> this assumes some degree of knowledge) but it's clearly
    >> impossible to make progress without taking chances.  You learn
    >> more from your mistakes

    Alexander>  Hey, if you are taking chances - don't complain if you
    Alexander> lose.  You can't have it both ways ;-)

I don't complain.

    >> than you do from doing things right.

    Alexander> As an old saying goes, the difference between foolish
    Alexander> and smart being that fool learns on *his* mistakes ;-)

"If a fool persist in his folly, he shall become wise." -- William
Blake

    >>  I don't use Really Horrible, myself.  I'd rather switch than
    >> fight -- I run Slackware.

    Alexander>  Hmm... Slack + Debian + FreeBSD + Slowlaris here. I'm
    Alexander> not running RH - too alien for my taste, so it's not a
    Alexander> matter of switching. If Debian or Slack got the same
    Alexander> attention we'ld see the same picture with them. BTW, I
    Alexander> don't think that switching is the right thing -
    Alexander> otherwise I'ld have to switch to FreeBSD. It's a nice
    Alexander> system and it got less harrasmen^Wattention, but I like
    Alexander> the Linux kernel. And hacking on VFS is fun. Wish I had
    Alexander> a time machine and could shoot the bastard who invented
    Alexander> this zero-admin snake oil *before* it was

Actually, I came to linux by way of FreeBSD, sort of.  I tried to do
the FBSD "install over the 'net" and it hosed my system.  That freaked
me and then I didn't do anything for about 4-5 months.  Then I was
getting ready to take another stab at it & I happened to see an
article in a local computer rag about linux.  Went down to a local
shop and bought RedHat 4.2.  Then, some months back , I tried to
upgrade to RH 5.1 & <it> hosed my system (the sign of progress).
Fortunately, by that time, CDs of linux were easy to find and I picked
up Slack.

Maybe someday I'll launch FreeBSD just to take a look.

mp

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

- --
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org
                         Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IPX PrinterServer and RH 5.1
Date: 15 Jan 1999 06:30:18 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:04:01 -0500,
 Ryan C. Payne
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> brought forth the following words...:

>Hello there...
>
>    I am running RH 5.1 and have a HP 4L printer on the network which
>uses the IPX protocol. Is there any way to print to this from Linux?
>
>    Unfortunatley the print server does not support TCP/IP.
>
>    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
>        R.C.
>
>--

RH 5.1 came with ncpfs. verify that it is installed

rpm -q ncpfs

There are a bunch of commands that are included in that package. But
the two you are probably interested in are slist, which gets a list of
servers (file and print) on the network, and nprint, which is pretty
obviously the printing part.
 I am going to assume that you have your ethernet card up and running.
To configure IPX, hopefully, all you will need to do is set auto-primary
and auto-interface on

(this may allready be done, check with ifconfig and see if there are
some lines in the eth0 listing regarding IPX.)

setup the interface

bash> ipx_configure --auto_primary=on
bash> ipx_configure --auto_interface=on

rerun ifconfig after a few seconds or so, to give the interface time to
configure. Assuming that IPX is now up and running, you can get a list of the
servers

bash >slist

picking whichever one is your novell printserver

nprint -S servername -U username file_to_be_printed

you will be prompted for a password, if any, and then the file should print.

note:

A standard unix textfile will probably come out stairstepped, read the
printing-HOWTO for ways to fix that. I cat the file through a filter
(the filter is int he HOWTO, a simple perl job, awk, sed, and probably tr
would be able to handle it also.)
 There's a primer, hope it helps, there is an IPX-HOWTO in the /usr/doc/HOWTO
recommend you read both the printing and ipx howtos, they will be invaluable
to you in integrating linux with the novell system. The above instructions
are pretty crude, there are more elegant ways to do it I am sure, this is
Linux after all :)

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:47:01 +0200
From: Jaanus Kivistik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Muliprocessor Linux

Mike Werner wrote:

> As I understand it, all of them can do it.  There's a line in the top
> level Makefile that needs editing - uncomment the line that says SMP=1
> or something along those lines.  This is for intel stuff - never looked
> at the PPC stuff.
Linux supports SMP only on intel and Sun4m. Has someone tried the Sun4m
SMP?

Jaanus

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Problems with 'make'
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:47:51 -0500

That sounds like the error I got when I ran make in the wrong
directory.  Make sure you are in /usr/src/linux (or whatever the name of
the directory is that the kernel source is installed in - you *did*
install the kernel source, right?) when you run make.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: R/W CD as backup option?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:53:56 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kerry J. Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My boss approached me the other day concerning our current backup
>protocol.  He's considering using a Read/Write CD to backup our
>servers.  We use all Sun machines using Solaris 2.6.  What we're
>thinking about doing is setting up a fast PC, i.e. 350-400 MHz and
>putting a Read/Write CD on it and then using it to backup pertinent
>data.  Right now we have a tape backup that works fine under the Sun
>machines.

It is hard to beat tapes for full system backups but it takes a
long time to find and restore individual files.  CD's have the
advantage of random access and you probably already have readers
on a lot of machines.  If you generate archive or logged data
where having quick access directly to the files on CD would be
useful it would make sense.

>Has anyone else tried this?  Any input on what might be involved in
>getting somethig like this to function?

You just need enough holding space on a hard disk to make the iso9660
image plus the drive itself.  There is a free package called
xcdroast that gives a nice GUI interface to the process.

  Les Mikesell

From: Vegard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE install ?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:01:47 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>         I am trying to install SuSE.  I have the boot disk and
> everything goes fine until I have to select the source directory on my
> source install which is /dev/hda1 & the directory is /suse.  Then the
> setup program says it "cant find the image" and to check the directory.
> the directory is correct and is a fat{not fat32} filesystem.

Make sure you have the setup-directory in the same level as a1 and ap1
etc...
See ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE-Linux/5.3/docu/book.txt chapter 3.8:  "S2:
Copying packages onto the HD in the case CD-ROM drive not supported" for
more information.

- Vegard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:08:00 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Arthur says...

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  Really, it wasn't until 1990 and later
>> that PCs have had the actual capacity to comfortably run Linux.
>
>I'm pretty sure AT&T was shipping Unix on their x86
>boxes as early as 86/87 (and that might have meant
>286's) - I might be wrong there,

I bought my first PC in 1986. it has Unix on it. 5 MB of hard disk!
and 64K RAM !!!! it had a C compiler on it for $1200 at the time.

dont know what Unix that was. I was just wanted to learn Unix so I bought
the PC.  I wish I kept that PC, it would probablu be a collector item
now. I have no idea what I did with it. I must have thrown it away
when I moved.

Bob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: redhat 5.2 server make risky partition
Date: 16 Jan 1999 07:46:39 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Wray) writes:

]Mark L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]>I installed redhat 5.2 and choosed sever and not custom. It installed
]>with many default setting. After installation, I found it placed root
]>partition on the bottom which is beyond 1024 cyclinder of my scsi hd.
]>And also I got a warning message when I run fdisk. What I know is we
]>need to place root partition within 1024 cyclinder for scsi hd and 512
]>cyclinder for ide hd. Is linux no need to care about this anymore
]>because the latest kernel or something was made to improve already?
]>
]>Also, they made a /boot in the seperated partition and placed at the
]>first part. I was usually let it with / partition. Is there any purpose
]>to do it?

Linux itself does not care about those cyl limits. The only thing that
cares is the boot loader in the bios. What it has done is to place th
eboot stuff into /boot, which is below the limit. That means that the
bios can boot linux. Once the kernel is loaded, it is quite capable of
mounting the / partition from anywhere. Have you tried it? Does it
work?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Date: 15 Jan 1999 07:03:34 GMT

On 15 Jan 99 04:29:25 GMT, Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>In article <77ma2j$usm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:17:58 +0000, Kerry J. Cox
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>My boss approached me the other day concerning our current backup
>>>protocol.  He's considering using a Read/Write CD to backup our
>>>,,,
>
>>- You're obviously limited to about 660MB of data, which may be an
>>issue.
>
>Well, don't forget that Gnu tar does do compression, so you could
>probably count on backing up a Gb per CD.

...I could be pedantic, play information theorist, and suggest that it's
still 660MB of data, according to Shannon...  And get beat on the head
because users won't be able to tell the difference...

More practically, an unfortunate effect of tgz'ing things is that it becomes
a "stream" of information, thereby "nuking" the ability to do random access.
'Tis attractive to be able to actually read data off the CD without having
to treat it as if it were a big long tape...

>I've got some CDRWs, but
>their such a pain (can't be read on a couple of my machines), etc.
>Other than using them for very temporary storage, I've not found them
>very useful... especially with CDR blanks down to $1. (well, 50 for
>$50.)

If there are issues with reading CD-RWs, that more clearly establishes the
*superiority* of the apparently inferior technology of CD-Rs.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Leblanc)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc
Subject: Multi booting
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 05:00:19 GMT

I'm working on installing Windows98, Windows NT, and Linux on the same
hard drive.  I would also like to use the boot manager that I have,
which requires a partition.  Is there a way to do this?  My windows 98
drive is Fat32, and NT is running on NTFS, and Linux will be running
ext2.  Is there some way to do this, or do I need to get another hard
drive?  Thanks,
        Greg.
Greg Leblanc
Network Admin
Concordia University Portland
gleblanc at cu-portland.edu

------------------------------

From: "Wolferl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:41:56 -0700

I remember PC/GEOS... running it on an XT could outperform Windows an a
386....  but there were no third party software developers so it died.......
The same thing happened to GEM for the PC a couple years before.  I'm
certain Microsoft used their weight to kill those GUI's.

------------------------------

From: Chris MacKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rights on dos-partition
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:57:23 +1100

Konstantin Seiler wrote:

> When I mount my Win-Dos partition only Root can write on it. but I'd like to
> allow it to other users, too. How can I change this?

Try something similar to this in /etc/fstab

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win95 vfat
exec,dev,suid,rw,conv=auto,uid=500,gid=500,perm=777 0 0

you will of course need to change the /dev/hda5 to whatever your win95
partition is and you will also need to change the default gid and uid to
match the user's.

--
Rgds,
Chris MacKenzie

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes.  I get stranger things than you
free
with my breakfast cereal.
                -- Zaphod Beeblebrox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Troughton)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:59:31 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:02:29, Jerry
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If one uses "Java speed", either Windows NT or Windows 95/98 (I forget
> > which) is all-out tops of every platform out there.  Even
> > Solaris!
>
> Bullshit !! No MS software supports Java under any version of Windoze -
> only MSes pathetic attempt at implementing Java - of course it runs
> quicker under Windoze - MS hacked Java, took out the security features,
> made it non-standard and you quote this against "true" Java - lets see
> how quick an official Java release runs under Windoze and then compare
> it to other platforms....

Besides, at this point, the 1.1.7 JVM from IBM for OS/2 Warp is the
fastest... go look it up on infoworld; it runs significantly faster
than the fastest MS JVM under either NT or 9x...

I'm using it now and it's quite quite fast indeed...

Jack Troughton   ICQ:7494149
http://207.96.209.68:8000/
jack.troughton at videotron.ca
jaft at adan.kingston.net