Linux-Misc Digest #639, Volume #18               Sat, 16 Jan 99 10:13:24 EST

Contents:
  win95/linux (red hat 5.1) ("Butch")
  Re: The most threads I've seen... (David Steuber)
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
(David Steuber)
  Re: Fetchmail Stops Fetching: Why? (David Steuber)
  Re: Linux Free (Steve Emms)
  Re: Reference library (Ian Briggs)
  Re: Help needed: corrupt mbr (John Hasler)
  format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk (Onion Ok)
  Re: libc5/libc6, WindowMaker, and segfaults ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Fetchmail Stops Fetching: Why? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Inhibition Computer Systems Linux Box (Ancipital)
  Re: Star Office Installation help needed ! (Jim)
  Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do? (Student)
  Re: Processes accounting...reading file. (Rob)
  Re: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk (Ashok Aiyar)
  Processes accounting...reading file. (Rob)
  Re: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk (Rod Smith)
  Re: rights on dos-partition (Chris MacKenzie)
  Re: Rebbot remote server (Steve Emms)
  Re: kde and ppp problems (Francesc Guasch)

From: "Butch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: win95/linux (red hat 5.1)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:43:29 -0500

    I am trying to network my 95 & r.h. 5.1 boxes with tcp/ip. I bought a
10mbps hub and two straight through patch cables. I hooked it up and when I
plugged the 95 box into it, at times I would get a little activity. On my
linux box, after I reinstalled linux, I plugged it in to the hub and when I
boot up, I get these messages:
SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
    For grins and giggles I tried to ping linux but got an ICMP write error.
I went to my (95) tcp/ip protocol properties and added the ip address of
linux in the DNS configuration.
    If anyone can help me from this point I would really appreciate it.

        -- Roger W Dickey, Jr --

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The most threads I've seen...
Date: 15 Jan 1999 21:13:52 -0500

I agree, Joseph.

Now to be mean.  Could you pleas avoid such long paragraphs?  They are
hard to read.

Also, I think this topic is best kept on just the advocacy group.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 21:42:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry) writes:

-> you can even write a little script for each one of these if that's
-> too much typing for you. Name 'em cdin and cdout or even ci and co
-> or just m and u.

DON'T name them co and ci.  Those are commands used by rcs to check
out and check in files.

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fetchmail Stops Fetching: Why?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 20:44:26 -0500

I haven't tried it in daemon mode.  I put it in a crontab instead.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Emms)
Subject: Re: Linux Free
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:50:20 GMT

Try

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/

That will give you a choice to choose from *g*

Regards
Steve

>Is there anyone who can help me to find a free Linux Operational system? Is
>that true its a freeware soff?
>
>Please help me!!!

==========================
The #1 Linux Directory
http://www.linuxlinks.com/
==========================

------------------------------

From: Ian Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reference library
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:09:38 +0000

MalkContent wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a few good reference texts to aquire.:
>
> I don't really care that the man command has info, I need it translated back
> into simple english until I'm up to speed.
>
> Thanks all.

I find "Using Linux" by Bill Ball pretty basic and user-friendly.

Good luck!

-- Ian --

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help needed: corrupt mbr
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 05:03:13 GMT

Duncan Clarke writes:
> Is there any reason this functionality has not been included in the Linux
> versions of fdisk?

Because it would duplicate the functionality of 'lilo -u'?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Onion Ok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,nl.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux,redhat.general,linux.redhat
Subject: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:35:26 +0000

Hi (again),

Another question:

How can I format a zipdisk onder linux and make a linux native partition
on it.
Cause if there is a msdos fs on the zipdisk I'm not able to copy
symlinks and I get some other errors.
I tried with fdisk /dev/sda4 but this didn't work. Can someone tell me
how I can do this?

Greetings,
                        Jurrien

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: libc5/libc6, WindowMaker, and segfaults
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:57:07 GMT

Hi Dave,

Arkeia GUI requires libc5.  This will change with version 4.1 of Arkeia where
it will use libc6.

Sam Siegel
Knox Software

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:04:47 GMT

Well not much help but my current fetchmail has been running for 20
days straight.

I have noted on occasion that my isp pop box gets a date that is early
than the real date. This causes fetchmail to think it has collected
all mail. There is an option -a -K to fetch all mail regardless. I use
these options now.

hth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ancipital)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,computer42.mail2news.linux-alert,cz.comp.linux,cz.comp.linux.czman,cz.comp.l
Subject: Re: Inhibition Computer Systems Linux Box
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:58:29 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:35:36 -0500, "Inhibition Computer Systems"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Inhibition Computer Systems is looking to release a cost effective Linux
>system.  Currently it utilizes a Celeron 300mhz A type processor.  If their
>any types of software, or if anyone has any suggestions as to what hardware
>would make an excellent Linux box (Red Hat, if your wondering) I'd
>appreciate the input.  Just mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks for
>your help (it should cost around 699 to 799)
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Linux Team, Inhibition Computer Systems

This would in fact be spam. Feel free to join me in mailing a copy to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] :)

Ancipital- Inedible Buddhas reality control #1
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.

To unmung email addr, remove all instances of "aremadeoffish"

"I'm not crying victim, but I am stating that a lot of spammers
are genuine scumbags." -Sanford Wallace

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Crossposted-To: jaring.pcbase
Subject: Re: Star Office Installation help needed !
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:32:52 GMT

"goolias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Won't work in console. You have to be in X to run the setup. Type
startx to start your X server. Start xterm and change to the correct
directory and type ./setup

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Student)
Subject: Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 13:29:01 GMT

Rachel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) tried to convey the following message:
: Hi - What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do?

Uhm... Try it. Who does nothing but state who is currently logged in (IIRC)
and sort sorts input.

Greetings,
der Joachim
Computational linguistics student at Tilburg University,
The Netherlands

http://pi0959.kub.nl/Haterd/index.html

One question: How come the .44 magnum is the worlds only usable point and
click interface? (Alan Cox)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob)
Subject: Re: Processes accounting...reading file.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:55:57 GMT

Hello again.

Its ok, ive sussed it now.

sa and lastcomm were what I was looking for.

Cheers

Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashok Aiyar)
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk
Date: 16 Jan 1999 14:16:34 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:35:26 +0000,
    Onion Ok ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Hi (again),
>
>Another question:
>
>How can I format a zipdisk onder linux and make a linux native partition
>on it.
>Cause if there is a msdos fs on the zipdisk I'm not able to copy
>symlinks and I get some other errors.
>I tried with fdisk /dev/sda4 but this didn't work. Can someone tell me
>how I can do this?

a) use fdisk on /dev/sda (if that is your zip drive) to delete
   the existing MSDOS partition (partition 4)
b) use fdisk on /dev/sda to create a Linux native partition (type 83)
   (partition 1)
c) write the new partition to /dev/sda
d) run mke2fs on /dev/sda1 (mke2fs -c /dev/sda1)

Cheers,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob)
Subject: Processes accounting...reading file.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:41:33 GMT

Hello all.

Ive just turned on process accounting, but how to I read the file it
creates (/var/log/pacct).  If I cat it, I can see the commands run,
witha few bits of binary data in there.  Is there a special viewer for
it?

Also, does it contain user information (ie the date and user which run
the command)

Cheers

Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,nl.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 16 Jan 1999 14:24:09 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

[Newsgroups trimmed; Followup-To specified]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Onion Ok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi (again),
>
> Another question:
>
> How can I format a zipdisk onder linux and make a linux native partition
> on it.
> Cause if there is a msdos fs on the zipdisk I'm not able to copy
> symlinks and I get some other errors.

There are a number of ways to do this.  My preferred method is:

1) In /etc/fstab, make sure that the entry for the Zip disk lists the
   filesystem type as "auto".  This will ensure that Linux will
   auto-detect the filesystem type, so you can just insert a disk and
   issue a mount command and not have to know what filesystem it has.
2) Insert a disk that already has a FAT filesystem on it (created from
   Windows, say).
3) Type "mke2fs /dev/sda4" (I'm assuming this is the first SCSI drive,
   given your identification below.
4) Type "fdisk /dev/sda" and change the type of partition 4 to "Linux
   native."  This is done with the "t" command.  This will keep Windows or
   other OSes from trying to read the disk and possibly trashing it.

Other people prefer to either create a partition with a different number
or not partition the disk at all, and create separate mount points for FAT
and ext2 Zip disks.  This is generally less convenient, but would make it
more obvious what type of disk you're using, which could be useful in some
cases.

> I tried with fdisk /dev/sda4 but this didn't work. Can someone tell me
> how I can do this?

The fdisk command is used to PARTITION a disk -- that is, to split it up
into big segments that will be mounted via separate mount commands or
lines in /etc/fstab, or which will appear with different drive letters
under DOS or Windows.  This is entirely separate from CREATING A
FILESYSTEM ("formatting" in DOS or Windows, though "formatting" has
another meaning, too, which is why it's not used in this context in
Linux).  Creating a filesystem lays down the data structures WITHIN a
partition which allow it to store data.  What you describe as your goal is
creating a filesystem, not formatting.  Also, fdisk is given the name of
an ENTIRE DISK as its argument, not one specific partition, as you've
specified.  In Linux, you DO need to use fdisk to change the partition
identifier when you change the filesystem type on a disk, but other than
that, creating a filesystem doesn't use fdisk.  (In fact, Linux itself
mostly ignores the partition type, so my step #4, above, is unnecessary if
you're sure the disk will never be used in any OS but Linux.)

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris MacKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rights on dos-partition
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:25:39 +1100

Chris MacKenzie wrote:

> /dev/hda5 /mnt/win95 vfat
> exec,dev,suid,rw,conv=auto,uid=500,gid=500,perm=777 0 0

The above should be all on one line.....

--
Rgds,
Chris MacKenzie

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes.  I get stranger things than you
free
with my breakfast cereal.
                -- Zaphod Beeblebrox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Emms)
Subject: Re: Rebbot remote server
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:20:46 GMT

try /sbin/shutdown

etc

Steve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linuxlinks.com/FreeStuff/

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:36:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am fairly new to linux, and i have a simple question.  I telnet to
>my Linux server and SU to root but when I try running "reboot" or
>"shutdpwn" it says command not found.  Is there anyway, to fix this ??
>
>GS

==========================
The #1 Linux Directory
http://www.linuxlinks.com/
==========================

------------------------------

From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kde and ppp problems
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:48:14 +0100

Larry wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:43:12 +0100, Francesc Guasch
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Peter Polman wrote:

> This IS strange. I run my slip account without any problems, even booting in
> and out of KDE from the command line doesn't affect my connection to the
> net.
> Are you getting any errors? Are you using KDE under a different user name
> than what you start your ppp account with?
>
> This is a strange one. I'm afraid I can't be much help. Good luck.

That behaviour was witnessed by me , but it could
happen that there is no relation between X (or kde) and ppp.
I live in spain and the phone company is changing its
internet connectivity system. It's a pity and a mess.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie