From: "rty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: make mp3 with linux
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:16:51 +0200

I just want  find a good mp3 maker on linux as L3ENC.
    could you show me one ? Thank so much
    bye!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: URGENT - sshd getpeername failed: Bad file descriptor
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:22:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The problem has been descripted in below...
>1/ I have a redhat linux 6.1 server with sshd and ssh installed.
>2/ A new window 98 with ssh client contact the redhat server and login
>as "root".
>3/ The window98 received a new key.
>4/ Inputed two times incorrect root password.
>5/ Inputed a correct root password at third time.
>6/ Login as root from window 98
>7/ Everything works fine, memory usage ok, cpu usage ok.
>8/ But an error appear in the /var/log/message file.
>
>Sep  1 21:52:44 solar sshd[28003]: log: Closing connection to
>163.70.127.240
>Sep  1 21:52:47 solar sshd[28502]: log: Connection from 163.70.127.240
>port 1425
>Sep  1 21:52:47 solar sshd[28502]: log: Could not reverse map address
>163.70.127.240.
>Sep  1 21:52:47 solar sshd[28502]: error: getpeername failed: Bad file
>descriptor
>Sep  1 21:52:48 solar sshd[28502]: log: Password authentication for
>root accepted.
>Sep  1 21:52:48 solar sshd[28502]: log: ROOT LOGIN as 'root' from
>163.70.127.240
>
>9/ Tried to login again from the window98, same error appears again.
>10/ Tried to login from another window95, same error appears again.
>
>Please help, what is the getpeername failed: Bad file descriptor?
>How to fix this error?

Fix your DNS so that nslookup returns a name for that IP from the reverse
lookup zone, or at least make sure that you have names for your Win95 and
98 IPs in /etc/hosts.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: cracker's file
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:27:42 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thomas Corriher <[EMAIL PROTECTED], abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>On 31 Aug 2000 09:33:38 +0100
>Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> People on comp.lang.c is starting to ask for the source of
>> "unix ping" now. I hope some other people are making
>> DoS-detection programs.
>>
>>Any comments Thomas?
>
>I will be happy to help them in their quest for knowledge,
>since some of us are not afraid of education.
>
>The ping source file is probably called "ping.c" and is
>definitely in the iputils package.  Linux source code is
>easy to find.  Here's some "hand-holding" instructions.
>
>Tell them to log into:
>
>  ftp.codemeta.com
>
>Then tell them to "cd" to the directory of:
>
>  /pub/mirrors/redhat/distributions/redhat-6.2/SRPMS/SRPMS
>
>and download the iputils-* package(s)
>
>If they use a normal Linux distribution, then they already
>have it and should not waste their energy.  Therefore, more
>than 95% of the people who could actually utilize the Linux
>ping code already have it.
>
>It is scary that knowledge passes freely over the Internet!!
>

>--
>  From the desk of Thomas Corriher
>
>  The real email address is:
>  corriher at surfree.
>  com

That's ok if you have Red Hat. I directed them to the Debian source
package 'netkit-ping'...

It'll take script kiddies ages to to sort that out.

/A

--
Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

------------------------------

From: DTRenwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrading Red Hat Linux 5.2 Deluxe
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:29:05 GMT

I have a copy of the commercial version of Red Hat 5.2 Deluxe, which
includes a great deal of extra apps. If I install the free version of 6.2,
will it only overwrite the existing files that are being upgraded, making
it a version 6.2 Deluxe, or would it completely replace version 5.2 Deluxe?
 In other words, would it upgrade to 6.2 Deluxe, or would 5.2 Deluxe
become freebie 6.2?
                            David Renwick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Subject: Re: make mp3 with linux
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:32:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <rty> wrote:
>I just want  find a good mp3 maker on linux as L3ENC.
>    could you show me one ? Thank so much

Sure, I use cdparanoia to rip Cds to wav, then bladeenc to create MP3s
from those.

Both work in batch mode, so they're handy for running overnight.

I got the recommendations from the MP3 howto at www.linuxdoc.org.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: pingoo
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:33:35 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pierre Puiseux  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>for communication about a new Linux distribution (cf
>http://www.univ-pau.fr/~artouste/) , i need the Linux pingoo image in
>high resolution (.tiff if possible)
>
>Someone to help me ?
>
>Thanks

If noone on the forum has the image (don't post it here!), then try
contacting the PingOO team. See
<URL:http://www.pingoo.org/English/contact.html> (or
<URL:http://www.pingoo.org/French/contacts.html> if you're French).
Use the info address...

/A

--

Subject: Re: Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:35:02 +0100

In article <loEr5.1711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert Clement <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone get a winmodem to work with Linux? Does anyone know of such a
>thing?
>
>--
>Click here for Free Video!!
>http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

Try "The Winmodems-and-Linux HOWTO":
<URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO.html>

/A

From: ya_hsiung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EC Software for linux?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:08:03 +0800

Are there any EC Software for Linux?
Please Inform me. Thanks

Subject: Re: EC Software for linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 13:30:12 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
ya_hsiung  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Are there any EC Software for Linux?
>Please Inform me. Thanks
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm but a poor Swede and I don't know what "EC" is... "European
Community", "Easy", "EduCational"?

One of the biggest software places for GNU/Linux is Freshmeat.
Try <URL:http://freshmeat.net/>.

Another good place is the Linux Metapage at
<URL:http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux-meta.html>.

/A

From: Craig Setera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Multi-session CD's without -eject (cdrecord)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:52:08 GMT

You are correct about the CD being able to retract the tray via script.
I have no trouble making it work, but I'd still prefer not to have the
tray be ejected.  The machine that does the backup is in a guest
bedroom... If I open and close the tray in the middle of the night, it
may wake up guests.  If I do the backup during the day, it may interfere
with other uses of the machine.

So.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to reload the TOC of the CD
without ejecting the CD?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: hda: lost interrupt
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:01:30 GMT

Hi all,

I have RH6.2 installed on a laptop equipped with TOSHIBA MK6015MAP, ATA
DISK drive. Kernel upgraded to 2.2.16-3. From time to time I get
following kernel messages:

Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: drive not ready for command

Usually the machine starts to behave badly, so I have to reboot.
Sometimes, it recovers by itself, reporting:

Aug 31 16:30:59 gplap kernel: ide0: reset: success

and then it works fine.

I've browsed the usenet but nothing I've found seems to be relevant.
Most "lost interrupt" reports regard CD-ROM drives. One was
about a HDD and the reply suggested to switch off (U)DMA for the
drive. But when I try "hdparms /dev/hda", it responds with:

 using_dma    =  0 (off)

dmesg shows:

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1100-0x1107, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1108-0x110f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

but I do not know exactly what does "pio" mean.

any hints would be appreciated.

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Subject: Re: part.table recovery
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:23:57 GMT

Milos Prudek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Somehow I lost partition table on non-root harddisk. The part.table
>contained just one partition spanning the whole disk. I do not know the
>precise CHS as reported by fdisk when it was still OK.
>
>- If I write and save the table correctly (using fdisk), will I be able
>to access my data again, or will they be lost forever?

If only the partition table is damaged, you will be able to access the
partition again if the entry is made correct using Linux fdisk.

Note that if logical partitions are lost (which is not reported in
this case), the extended partition tables must be made correct in
first attempt, since writing an extended partition table to a wrong
location can damage data.

>- BIOS specifies the harddisk as LBA, but Linux does not care. Linux
>kernel identifies the hardware geometry of 4096 cylinders, and
>consequently fdisk prints the well-known warning. Unfortunately I do not
>remember if it was the same when part.table was fine. Should I worry
>about this? Should I force Linux somehow to use the LBA translation?

The partition tables should be made using the same geometry
translation as the BIOS uses. You can set the translation for the
tables in the extra functionality mode.

If you want further help, you can get download Findpart at
http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm, boot to DOS, do

findpart all +fat fp.txt

and post the content from fp.txt
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Moroder" <andreas.moroder@se-nord.[nospam]provinz.bz.it>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: for in list     in bash
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:38:13 +0200

Hello i want to use the

for name [ in word; ] do list ; done

command in a bash script.

if i use

for myvar in *.log ; do
    echo $myvar
done

is there a guarantee that the list of expanded words is alphabetically
sorted ?
is there a way to set the sort order and is it sorted in any way ?

Thank you

Andreas

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hda: lost interrupt
Date: 01 Sep 2000 13:34:55 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski) writes:

> I have RH6.2 installed on a laptop equipped with TOSHIBA MK6015MAP, ATA
> DISK drive. Kernel upgraded to 2.2.16-3. From time to time I get
> following kernel messages:
>
> Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: lost interrupt
> Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: drive not ready for command

Do you ever hibernate (save-to-disk)?  I began to get this problem
after I started using the hibernation facility on my laptop (also RH
6.2, same kernel).  After hours of searching, I stumbled on a post by
someone who solved the problem - the solution is to uncomment
HDPARM_ON_SUSPEND and HDPARM_ON_RESUMS in /etc/sysconfig/apmd, which
sets all hard disk parameters to safe values before hibernating, and
wakes the disk up on resuming.

Of course, this solution isn't documented anywhere (at least, it
wasn't in any of the places I looked).  Moreover, the
/etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmscript that uses this variable doesn't
actually use the value of HDPARM_ON_RESUME that's set in
/etc/sysconfig/apmd; if you want to use any hdparm settings other than
the very safest ones, you'll have to modify the script yourself.

If your problem isn't related to APM then I'm afraid I can't help you...
--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 14:25:56 +0100
From: Holger Burde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Data coruption on IDE Drive

Hi;

I have a Tyan based System with IDE Drives which installs correctly. The

NIC in wrong recognized as 3c509 instead of
3c90x but this is easy to change. I have transferred several large Files

to this machine (verified that the archives are ok!)
and get CRC errors from bzip2 and gzip (linux kernel archives) . The
problem is that it's possible for one file to be correct (gzip
--test) and minutes later the same test fails. Sometimes it works
several times in a row sometimes it doesn't at all. I think its the
IDE transfer that corrupts the Data ...

PS
The install from CDROM seems ok - XWindows runs and no signs of
corruption are visible. I changed the IDE Cables and
tried to install from the 2nc IDE BUS. Same result. Solaris which runs
on the 2nd Channel , 2nd Disk works perfect - so the
Hardware seems ok. This may be be triggered only by 'fast' transfers (vs
CDROM to Disk) ??

--
Dipl. Inform. H. Burde - UNIX SysAdmin/Security - BCI GmbH
Tel:  +49 421 202 46 01  - [EMAIL PROTECTED]   - http://www.bci-bremen.de

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eggink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: for in list     in bash
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:51:47 GMT

In comp.unix.shell Andreas Moroder <andreas.moroder@se-nord.[nospam]provinz.bz.it>
wrote:
> Hello i want to use the

> for name [ in word; ] do list ; done

> command in a bash script.

> if i use

> for myvar in *.log ; do
>     echo $myvar
> done

> is there a guarantee that the list of expanded words is alphabetically
> sorted ?

Yes, it is sorted. From the manpage:

   Pathname Expansion
       After word splitting, unless the -f option has  been  set,
       bash  scans  each word for the characters *, ?, and [.  If
       one of these characters appears, then the word is regarded
       as  a  pattern, and replaced with an alphabetically sorted
       list of file names matching the pattern.

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Stratford)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Mail Server
Date: 1 Sep 2000 12:55:32 GMT

        Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am completly ammused by people pointing to sever SMTP MTA's without
> seeing the big picture (except for the last person).
>
> 500000 user accounts is almost impossible (specially on linux it stops ad
> user account 65535).
> Imagine the amount of diskspace you need and teh ammount of INodes.

The original poster just said he wanted to support a large
population.  He never said anything about them being particularly
active users.  If you have 500,000 accounts but the user-base doesn't
send or receive much mail, one machine is quite possible (although
having been through this sort of problem in the past I'd not want to
run it on anything less than 10 machines - and even that might be a
bit tricky to work reliably.)

> I think you are way out of your league with Linux. Now you are only
> talking about SMTP what about pop3 which is a real resource hog when it
> comes to collecting mail! 1 systems is not enough!

Again, we don't know what his requirements are, so POP3 may not come
into the equation (but if it does, you're quite correct.)

On the MTA front, I'd go for either Sendmail or Postfix.  Sendmail's
big and cumbersome, but it will do pretty much everything you'd need.
postfix is much smaller and easier to use, but more limiting with what
you can do with it.  I'd avoid Qmail if at all possible - it has
definite problems when things get that large.

    Chris.

--
Remember, a halibut is not a toy.

------------------------------

From: "Ross Goodley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:04:52 +0100

Well you could always;-
for i in $( ls | grep *.log | sort )
do
echo $i
done

man sort for options

    HTH
"Andreas Moroder" <andreas.moroder@se-nord.[nospam]provinz.bz.it> wrote in
message news:8oo4mg$5mi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...