Linux-Misc Digest #654, Volume #18               Sun, 17 Jan 99 06:13:07 EST

Contents:
  New Linux Distributor (UK) ("Darren Mallinson")
  Re: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk (Huib Verweij)
  Re: NetComm Internal Modem works with Windows 95 but not Red Hat Linux 5.2. (Rob
Clark)
  X-terminal setup for remote clients on Linux? ("Steve Sanyal")
  Re: lilo says /vmlinuz too big.  Now what ??? (Tom Rogie)
  Re: Linux und Creative RivaTNT ("Jon Ballinger")
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
(Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (David Kastrup)
  Re: Message Queue Middleware for Linux? (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: IPX PrinterServer and RH 5.1 ("Ryan C. Payne")
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ("Joshua Schaeffer")
  Re: My partition choice (Frank Hale)
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
(Gregory Loren Hansen)
  Navigator + Apache (Matt Cobley)
  'sync' mounted filesystems
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Bill Anderson)
  Re: R/W CD as backup option? (Frank Hale)
  Re: no users (Tamas)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Matt Foreman)

From: "Darren Mallinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Linux Distributor (UK)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:15:52 -0000

Visit THE LINUX SOURCE at http://www.mallind.demon.co.uk/ for Linux
distributions on CD, Linux books and more!

We carry most of the major GPL distributions such as Red Hat, SuSE, Caldera,
Debian and Slackware, with commercial / official versions to follow.

We are also an associate of Amazon.co.uk, the online bookseller.

We are aiming for our site to be a resource for Linux and Linux related
information.  If you have any suggestions, book reviews, Linux related
links, advertising enquiries or any other information that you would like to
submit, please contact us through our site.

--
The Linux Source
http://www.mallind.demon.co.uk/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:10:25 +0000
From: Huib Verweij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: format a zipdisk and make it a linux disk

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Onion Ok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi (again),
>
> Another question:
>
> How can I format a zipdisk onder linux and make a linux native partition
> on it.
> I tried with fdisk /dev/sda4 but this didn't work. Can someone tell me
> how I can do this?

Shouldn't it be fdisk /dev/sda?

Huib.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: NetComm Internal Modem works with Windows 95 but not Red Hat Linux 5.2.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:13:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Minto  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    pppd can't initialise modem or communicate with ISP, however, I am
>able to communicate ( albeit, rather slowly ) with the modem using the
>'Minicom' program. Can you tell me if this modem has known problems when

If you can communicate with the modem in Minicom, then compatibility is
not as issue.  Most probably, you are using something other than "COM 3,
IRQ 4" in which case you would need to use setserial in inform Linux of
that fact.

This is the primary cause of very slow modem operation in Linux.

Once you get the modem working properly in Minicom, you can tackle your
pppd problem.

Good luck!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: "Steve Sanyal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: X-terminal setup for remote clients on Linux?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:38:04 GMT

I often telnet to my school UNIX account, and when I run Windows NT, I use
MI/X as an X-terminal.

Redhat 5.2 came with Xfree86, which is up and running, however, I am trying
to figure out if I can also use Xfree86 as an X-terminal for my school
account?

When I try to do the following from my UNIX account:

setenv DISPLAY ipaddress:0.0
xterm &

I have no problems in Windows NT (it sets up the X-terminal), but with
Xfree86 in Linux, my UNIX account tells me that the connection was refused.
This makes sense of course, since it would not be a good idea to let remote
hosts so easily use my X-server as a terminal, however, is it possible?

Can I run remote programs, etc., using my Linux X-server as an X-terminal?
How can I set this up, or where can I find out information that will help me
to figure it out?

Regards

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Rogie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: lilo says /vmlinuz too big.  Now what ???
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:09:01 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:53:58 -0500, Bryan Halter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nick instead of using make zImage use make bzImage and after make modules_install
>run make bzlilo
>
>Bryan ;-)

That won't solve the problem!

Instead copy:
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/vmlinuz.gz to /vmlinuz

that's the compressed kernel. Not /usr/src/vmlinuz!

      ,*,        |               Tom Rogie                  |        ,,,
     ( **)       | email: TOMdotROGIEatVILLAGEdotUUNETdotBE |       (** )
-ooO--( )--Ooo---|            Life's a beach !              |--ooO--( )--Ooo--
Please remove .com at the end of my emailaddress when replying to this message

------------------------------

From: "Jon Ballinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux und Creative RivaTNT
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:23:23 -0000

I need help here.

I am doing this... but only get 8 bit colour.... what is the highest
achievable res with a TNT 16 meg? And how to get that?

Jon Ballinger

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 13:29:40 GMT

Newsgroups trimmed to comp.os.linux.misc alone.

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jedi:
|> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:30:48 -0800, Kevin:

[Snip...]

|> >I guess my point is, what is the goal of users of the Linux platform, anyway?
|>
|>      Commodidize the OS.
|>      Commodidize the APIs.
|>      Commodidize the DataFormats.

[Snip...]

And don't forget what Linus himself might add (drumroll, maestro)...

        "Total world domination"

Anything less would be so unamerocentric...     :)

Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens)     ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **

1. As antispam, I have completely disabled my "adam" email account.
2. Please vent inconvenience at Cyberpromo and their Satanic spawn.
3. You might try finding (wyrd) at ti, dotted with com. NO UCE/UBE.
4. I detest UCE/UBE. I support CAUCE; http://www.cauce.org HR 1748.

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions alone and not Raytheon TI Systems.

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 17 Jan 1999 10:39:05 +0100

Ambassador KosH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> who gives a rat's ass what the public thinks? the majority of the
> people polled (not necessarily the general public) think clinton
> shouldn't be removed from office, but he still commited crimes that
> would get the average joe around 5-15 years or more in jail under
> federal law. Just because part or most of the public likes the
> person on trial doesn't mean that the law should overlook the issue
> because they are popular.
>
> Netnerd wrote:
>
> > The latest consumer poll shows that 81 percent of consumers think Microsoft
> > has been good for consumers, and 52 percent think the case was brought to
> > help Microsoft's rivals.
> >
> > The poll also shows that 76 percent of consumers think U.S. District Judge
> > Thomas Penfield Jackson should find Microsoft not guilty of violating the
> > Sherman Antitrust Act when the trial concludes sometime in the next two or
> > three months.

One should be careful about believing polls too much.  In this case,
it turned out from internal Emails that not only Microsoft paid for
the poll, but that Bill Gates also specified the percentages he would
like to hear as results of the poll.

It was somewhat embarassing for one of the independent witnesses of
Microsoft to hear where this results he was citing were coming from.
They should at least have informed him instead of letting him
embarrass himself and them in that way.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Message Queue Middleware for Linux?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:19:25 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:09:21 +0100, Anders Östling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>Level8 Systems has ported their FalconMQ library to Linux. FalconMQ is
>a multiplatform version of MSMQ. Runs on several Unix'es, OpenVMS and
>MVS. Check www.level8.com

That's not what they say; the nearest version is a SCO release...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

From: "Ryan C. Payne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IPX PrinterServer and RH 5.1
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:18:17 -0500

I appreciate your help, however I am not trying to print to a novell server...
The device attaches to the centronix port on your printer and takes a RJ-45 cable
on the other side. Specs are at
http://www.svec.com/graphics/product/printservers/pn6125.htm.

It works rather nicely for the Windows machines that I have, but now that I have
added a Linux machine, I would like to be able to print from that, too.

Thanks again!

    Ryan

--

==================================
Ryan C. Payne, MSIS, BSN, RN

------------------------------

From: "Joshua Schaeffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:45:15 -0500
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy

>>The difference is that the time it took to boot up that word processor on
>>the C128 was likely long enough to permit you to make a sufficient stop at
>>the bathroom with a few moments to spare.
>
> That was primarily an I/O limitation less dependent on
> how slow the CPU was and more on how slow storage was.

But it was a limitation nonetheless.

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: 17 Jan 1999 07:31:11 GMT

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I have 128 megs of ram and I have never got it to use the swap and I
> >usually a ton of apps opened.
> >

> Play around with editing images a little, and watch it go to work!
>
> Gimp or Imagemagick are both quite capable of checking out your swap
> for you.  Xv probably won't do anything that goes over 100Mb though,
> so you could use it all day long and with 128Mb of RAM and probably
> not start swapping unless  you view a dozen images at once.

Works great for what I do and I do grafix on Gimp all the time. You
should see my NT box at work I swear that stupid things HD just spins
all day long swapping data. Well it spins until I have to reboot it
cause it crashed. But thats another story......

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

"Excuse my english I went to a US public school"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Loren Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
idiot-friendly?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 16:01:06 GMT

In article <36a10353.9119122@News>, George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:49:30 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
>wrote:
>
>>On 16 Jan 1999 01:01:57 GMT, Gregory Loren Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>>Can you?
>>
>>      Is there anything outside of a ported unix tool
>>      that does regular expressions in Windows?
>
>Is there some reason why it would matter if it was ported or not?
>If the tool is available, what difference does it make?

If it's not on the Windows installation disk, a foreign graduate student
isn't likely to find it on the computer in the school's computer lab.  And
possibly won't be allowed to put it there if he does find it.

--
"Besides, it doesn't take much creativity or courage to figure out that
something which reads 'Danger: Flammable' on the label might be fun to

------------------------------

From: Matt Cobley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Navigator + Apache
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:03:31 +0000

I've got a RedHat 5.2 system and Win95 on the same box. I have a web
page that I designed under Windows, when Netscape Composer saved
filenames with teh extension .htm . Now I tried to use that under
RedHat, but all it comes up with is text showing the html source. If
however, I rename everything *.html then it works fine. Is there any way
I can get it to recognise .htm files as being valid html?

    Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: 'sync' mounted filesystems
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:37:14 GMT

Anyone know what mounting a filing system with the 'sync' option is
actually supposed to do ?

I mounted a floppy 'sync' but when copying files to the floppy
some stuff is written, the copy returns, and then, after a few
seconds, more stuff is written. I thought the copy wasn't meant
to finish until all writes were complete :-(

TIA

|  Peter Horton   -   software engineer   -   Linux 2.2.0-pre7 |
+---------------------------+----------------------------------+
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.berserk.demon.co.uk  |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  http://www.colonel-panic.com    |
+---------------------------+----------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:53:14 -0700

"Omni²" wrote:

> whats the point of that?
> if i learn to do what you suggest
> I may as well stick with the linux commands

If you are referring to alias, it is *very* useful.

take ls for example.

ls will display a certain way, and has options you can pass to it. Like
'ls -l' fo ra long listing, or 'ls -a' for a listing of every single
file in the directory. Personally, I prefer to "alias ll='ls -l'" so I
can type 'll' and get the long listing, This is but one axample. Other
programs will perform different actions depending upon how they are
called.

'man alias' for more info.

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: R/W CD as backup option?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 15:44:19 GMT

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Christopher B. Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >If there are issues with reading CD-RWs, that more clearly establishes the
> >*superiority* of the apparently inferior technology of CD-Rs.
>
> The issue is just that some drives can't see them at all.  Most newer
> readers are 'multi-mode' and have no trouble, and of course all
> CD-RW drives can read them back.  I don't think they are any less
> reliable, and this wouldn't matter much in a backup/restore situation
> as long as you have the right equipment.
>
>   Les Mikesell
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One bad thing is on my CD-RW when I format a cd-rewritable it becomes
like a 500 meg floppy. It looses 150 meg if I use it to rewrite too. Its
good if your going to use it like a 500 meg floppy and archive small
amounts of data. But for gigs of backup cd-r's and cd-rw's I don't think
will cut it they are just too small. Its perfect for me cause I never
back anything more than 650 megs at a time.

From: Tamas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: osu.sys.linux
Subject: Re: no users
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:38:27 -0500

Hi,

Thank you, I tried it but it did not work.  I am clompletely clueless.

Tamas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Foreman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 16 Jan 1999 16:33:34 GMT

Omni² ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: sorry buddy
: but I dont pretend to be a PHD in english lit
: and I dont make out to be a fake
: by using a spell checker
: I'm an individual
: if ya dont like it
: go fuck urself

You misspelled 'inDUHvidual' Hope this helps.