From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (cLIeNUX user)
Subject: Dotted Standard File Hierachy in cLIeNUX
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:09:25 GMT

cLIeNUX is my little "distro". It's 34 meg and builds kernels. No X.
It's at  ftp   linux01.gwdg.de   in  pub/cLIeNUX .  The version with
the DSFH mentioned in the fallowing "seedoc" is in ../interim. I'll
be putting up a new one shortly that builds kernels from the DSFH.

seedoc for the Dotted Standard File Hierarchy
NAME D.S.F.H.
</em>
-- Dotted Standard File Hierarchy
DOC DATE </em>
19990615
DESCRIPTION
</em><br>
 There is a filesystem directory hierachy standard in wide use for
Linux/GNU, and most other unices are similar. It is known as the FSSTD.
The idea with such a standard is to allow various packages and
applications for Linux to make certain assumptions about where it can find
and/or put things when installed on any Linux box.  This is of course a
very good idea as far as it goes, and essential to a certain degree. The
kernel itself must find a couple things by thier filename or it can't
boot. What the kernel looks for must be broadened slightly in
../linux/init/main.c to support the D.S.F.H., and cLIeNUX has the
necessary tiny kernel modification.
 cLIeNUX addresses a couple problems with the FSSTD with what I call the
Dotted Standard File Hierarchy. Traditional UNIX directory names are as
cryptic as can be. "bin", for example, is meaningless to a new computer
user. These names hark back to a time when the brevity was well worth the
cryptic-ness, and when "the average computer user" was a genuine scientist
of some kind, but these names have persisted even into OSes that don't
claim or desire to be considered "unix". Things have changed. Shells have
filename-completion now, for example, and you are not reading this on a
TeleType Model 37 hardcopy 300 baud telegraph terminal. The FSSTD intends
to cast these venerable names in stone forever, in direct unavoidable view
of the user.  The D.S.F.H. also attempts to cast things in stone, but
modified slightly, and out of view of the user.
 What the cLIeNUX or D.S.F.H. user sees in a normal listing are the actual
directory names, while symlinked to the name the user sees is a variant of
the standard directory name, preceeded by a period for hiding, and with
the last character of the traditional name dropped. "bin" becomes ".bi",
"sbin" becomes ".sbi", "etc"  becomes ".et" and so on.  This allows
simplistic conversions of the old names to the new, even in situ in
binaries, because the strings are the same length. The conversion of
cLIeNUX Core from traditional names to a D.S.F.H. setup that could compile
a kernel took only a few days, which surprised me. Fortunately, the raw
odds of something like the byte-string "/bin/" occuring as machine code is
about one in a trillion, so a laughably simple conversion method seems to
have worked. That is, the configuration problems created were not a result
of "binary name clashes", as far as I'm aware. You can do...
 ls -a /
 sniff /.*
 to see the DSFH as far as the root directory / is concerned.
 This gives rise to another possible advantage of the D.S.F.H.;
internationalization. The visible name can be anything, in any character
set. In fact, the superuser can change fundamental directory names to
anything that they find suitable, as long as the requisite symlinks are
maintained.  The tradition-oriented D.S.F.H. user is perfectly welcome to
symlink /.bi to /bin, since there is no default /bin to interfere. If
there are other standards that mandate the traditional names, then I
consider such standards well worth ignoring, but they can be adhered to on
a D.S.F.H. box if you prefer. I happen to like /.sbi being a symlink to
/command/background. I find that the descriptiveness of names like the
above is amplified in full pathnames, and reduces the effort of
remembering things.
 The D.S.F.H. is rigid, but allows more dynamics in what a user sees.  The
D.S.F.H. is quite like many other things in non-computer experience, such
as for example, a building. The utilities are ever-present and immovable,
but mostly out of normal view.

SEE ALSO
 </em><br>
cLIeNUX was converted over to the D.S.F.H. with
also be used for installing sourcecode or binaries. <br>
standard Linux filesystem hierarchy manpage. D.S.F.H. directory symlink
names are derived from it.

I urge integrators of any systems with symlinks to consider the Dotted
Standard File Hierachy.

RIGHTS
 </em><br>
 This document is Copyright 1999 Richard Allen Hohensee<br>
 This file is released for unencumbered redistribution.
 Related documents or code in cLIeNUX may or may not be released
similarly.

I might also mention that cLIeNUX is fairly livable as is.
chow.

Rick Hohensee

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:17:20 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live and Linux

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Will the driver from Creative work with any Linux, such as Caldera 2.2
> or does it just work with Red Hat 5.2?  If not is there some way to
> fudge it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
Never tried myself, but a kernel module should work with every distro,
because they all use the same kernels (if with a few minor patches).

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Installing Apps from CD Prob
Date: 16 Jun 1999 02:34:54 GMT

On 16 Jun 1999 01:30:02 GMT, Harry MF Teasley wrote:

>I figured out it must be because the CD is read-only, and sure enough,

It's probably because the CD is mounted "noexec". Mounting removable media
with the "noexec" option is essential if you want non root users to mount
the media ( since otherwise, they could put in a CD containing a root shell
and run it )

>My question is: how can I install off a CD?  Clearly it should be possible.
>I'm thinking perhaps there's a mounting option I haven't provided.  Can

You could try providing the "exec" option.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Sean Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Databases are available for Linux
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:21:08 +0000

Alex Lam wrote:

> Oracle does give away free software. Like their Oracle server and client,
> and some other stuffs.
> Check out: http://technet.oracle.com/software/download.htm
>
> Alex Lam.

Make sure you read the OTN License Agreement _very_ carefully.
In legalese it *specifically* states that it is for development
purposes only. This is not the same as "free" database server
software.

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux-2.0.35 and 128MB main ram
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:58:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i have recently upgraded my memory from 64mb to 128 mb.  however,
> booting linux, it tells me that i have only 64.

This has been asked and answered hundreds of times.  Please
consider using a usenet search engine for things like this.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: How do I print manpage?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:36:11 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:01:04 -0400, Sergei Gnezdov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I usually print text files with command:
>
>       pr -l 62 -f file_name | lpr
>
>How can I print manpage with the same settings?
>
>Currently I do it this way:
>
>       man page_name > buf
>       pr -l 62 -f buf | lpr
>
>This way I get page formatting for the screen (date, name of the page and so on
>are in the middle of the sheet of paper).

I've been printing them with...

man man_page | pr | lpr

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Cameron Hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD copying
Date: 16 Jun 1999 03:24:07 GMT

Dupecheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Is there any CD copying software around for linux?

Not that I've found. Here's what I know of.

To read a CD you may have to use a combination of tools:
 - 'dd' for reading data tracks. This is a standard unix program that you
    can tell to read from /dev/cdrom. I believe that this will only read
    the first data track from a CD.
 - cdparanoid / cdda2wav for reading audio tracks. cdparanoia is slower but
    safer (handles less than perfect situations better). cdda2wav works
    well if you have a good player.

To write a CD use:
 - cdrecord will write audio discs in Track At Once mode
 - cdrdao will write audio disks in Disk At Once mode. Some of the docco
    for this says it will not write data tracks, but the README goes on to
    tell you how to do it! I have used it to write a mixed mode CD (data
    and audio) and it seemed to work fine.
 - cdwrite. I know nothing of this except it is referred to in the docco
    for the above two programs. I think it is old and no longer maintained.

The above programs are all command line programs. There are many graphical
front-ends available that ultimately call one of the above programs to do
the real work. These generally wont have any extra capabilities, but may
integrate features from more than one of these.

I have plans to write a generic CD copier program, just as soon as I figure
out Joerg Schilling's scsi library that comes with cdrecord.

You should be able to find the above mentioned programs on freshmeat.net

--
Cameron Hutchison ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) | Onward To Mars
GCS d--@ -p+ c++(++++) l++ u+ e+ m+(-) s n- h++ f? !g w+ t r+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.cdr.panasonic,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Re: Help with Cw-7502 and cdrecord
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:15:46 GMT

Hi Jacob!

I have the same CDR and the same kernel Version.
Have you got the SG Buffer patch?  If not you can
get the patch at
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha/

The file I pulled down was SG-2.2.tar.gz
After compiling this you will have to recompile
your kernel again.

This allowed me to write audio CDs without any
errors.  However, even though the process went
through a write and fixation, I still get no audio
coming from the disk even though the CD player
sees all the tracks and can index them ok.

So this might be another problem.  I'm using
CDRECORD 1.6.1 and XCDROAST to pull tracks and
write them.  Has anyone seen this problem before??

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Mike McMahon

In article <7j78bo$uvs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I recently bought a Panasonic cw-7502 and have
been trying to get the
> thing to write with cdrecord.  When I use the
-dummy option, everything
> works fine, but when I actually want to write
the CD for real, it chokes
> after about 500k.  For all I know the CDR is
defective, but I thought
> I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas why this
might be happening.

> I'm using:
> 4.17 firmware for the CDR,
> Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI adapter (newest
firmware)
> cdrecord 1.8a22
> Linux Kernel 2.2.9
>
> Here's the output from cdrecord (it gives me
this consistently):

> Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999
Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '3,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
> atapi: -1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 2
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   : SYNC LINKED
> Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
> Identifikation : 'CD-R   CW-7502  '
> Revision       : '4.17'
> Device seems to be: Matsushita CW-7502.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
> Drive buf size : 1044288 = 1019 KB
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: data  621 MB
> Total size:     714 MB (70:44.52) = 318339
sectors
> Lout start:     714 MB (70:46/39) = 318339
sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> ATIP info from disk:
>   Indicated writing power: 5
>   Is not unrestricted
>   Is not erasable
>   ATIP start of lead in:  -11640 (97:26/60)
>   ATIP start of lead out: 335100 (74:30/00)
> Disk type: Cyanine, AZO or similar
> Manuf. index: 3
> Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
> Blocks total: 335100 Blocks current: 335100
Blocks remaining: 16761
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write
mode for single session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1
seconds.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer
... input-buffer ready.
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:   0 of 621 MB written.CDB:  2A 00 00
00 01 20 00 00 10 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
73 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration
area error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 34.275s timeout 40s
>
> write track data: error after 589824 bytes
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00
> CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
2C 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence
error) Fru 0x0

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q3Test runs in Window..slowly
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:41:15 GMT

David Tansley wrote:

> I have a Creative Labs Banshee graphics card and I'm using the latest
> Banshee/Voodoo3 XFree server, and the Glide 3dfx drivers from
>
> http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html
>
> However, when I run linuxq3test, it runs perfectly well, but in a
> window, and is thus incredibly, almost painfully, slow.
>
> I've tried setting export MESA_GL_GFX fullscreen, but to no avail.
>
> Can anyone help?

Hmmm. I never could get that roleplaying game Majik to work fullscreen
either.
Do you other OpenGL Apps run fullscreen?
Also maybe it is just a typo or maybe it doesnt' matter, but I did
export MESA_GL_GFX="fullscreen"  or was that
export MESA_GL_GFX=fullscreen. I don't know, but I do know I had an
equal sign and not spaces.

While we are on the subject is there some trick to getting Majik to work
fullscreen, or getting Golgotha to exit for that matter, I had to
ctrl-alt-delete because golgotha wouldn't let me exit and I couldn't get
the Voodoo card to give control back to the ATI Rage card.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: kernel patch 2.2.10
Date: 15 Jun 1999 11:04:03 -0500

In article <7k5mbc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Lau wrote:
> patch: **** malformed patch at line 1764: \ No newline at end of file

Your version of "patch" is not new enough.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: General protection during access mem via kernel
Date: 15 Jun 1999 11:06:48 -0500

In article <7k5b5f$abk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Overmars wrote:
> I have wrote a system call to access the Linear frame buffer of Video
> card, but the following error appears when running:
>
> general protection: 0000
> CPU:    0
> EIP:    0010:[<00115748>]
> EFLAGS: 00013246
> eax: fe8be430   ebx: 00c92c0c   ecx: 00000000   edx: 00000000
> esi: 40006394   edi: 08048500   ebp: bffffa30   esp: 00493fb8
> ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
> Process tvsyscall (pid: 144, process nr: 33, stackpage=00493000)
[and so forth]

This stuff is specific to your particular kernel.  See
Documentation/oops-tracing.txt to learn how to interpret it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (cooter)
Subject: redhat website down?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:17:47 GMT

Is it just me, or is the redhat site unreachable lately?

------------------------------

From: Markus de Wendt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3D Programs
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:50:00 +0200

Walter wrote:

>     Does anyone knows any 3d software REALLY good for linux?( something like
> 3dmax...)

A very powerful thing is Povray, you can do everything ever wanted, also
Radiosity-effects!, but it is script based.
Another good tool may be Blender 3D.  It has an GUI, but might be less
powerfull, can't say, cause I never tried :-)

> and... softimage was primarely made for unix, does it run on linux?

I think it runs on IRIX, but not on LINUX.

Bye

Markus de Wendt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Denoire)
Subject: How to find out HD geometry data
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:54:45 GMT

I am trying to boot Linux (SuSE v. 6.0) using lilo, but I get a "LI"
and nothing more (otherwise, I can boot using loadlin). I have a
SCSI-System with an removable disk drive as /dev/sda, and a second
drive as a harddisk hosting Windows in /dev/sdb1 and Linux in
/dev/sdb4. Both partitions are primary partitions. Here are some ofmy
parameters from the lilo.conf file:

boot = /dev/sdb4
#linear
root = /dev/sdb4
prompt
label = 60

Calling /sbin/lilo invokes a warning telling me that the partition is
on the second drive (i thing this can be ignored since it is
practically the first drive, at least from the point of view of the
BIOS). That means that lilo itself is located on the root sector of
one primary partition on the second drive. I use a boot manager to
reach the Windows or the Linux partitions (i.e, the corresponding root
sectors).

Getting a "LI" means that at least the root partition code was
reached, but probably geometry data is needed for the
"disk = " - parameter.

So how do I find out these data?
================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fuctifino)
Subject: Re: Weirdnessess with windows downloading tgz files .... anyone else?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:32:31 GMT

On Fri, 14 May 1999 08:00:14 -0500, "Tim Kelley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been putting up with some strange weirdnesses for a long time now with
>NT ...  whenever I try to download a tar file with Netscape (4.51), first
>windoze feels it need to replace all the periods in the filename with
>underscores.  Second, Netscape sometimes does not download the file at all,
>but only downloads 1 or 2 kilobytes of it -- this happens a lot when a link
>points to a cgi instead of an actual file.
>
>The behavior with IE is even worse.  It can't understand the download cgi's
>at themes.org at all.
>
>Does anyone know of any tweaks to fix any of this totally braindead
>behaviour?
>
>(yes, I am forced to use MS at work)
>

>Tim Kelley
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

i found this problem, i was also getting badly mangled .tar files
occasionally regardless of filesize. after installing norton antivirus
as a plug-in to netscape, the mangling and half-downloading ceased
leaving only the underscores which arent really a major problem

------------------------------

From: Mohamad SALEH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: duplicating a whole hd
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:07:02 +0200

Sid Boyce a écrit :

> Using dd presumes equal sizes of HD, that is, if the HD you dd to is
> larger than the original, you end up with unuseable space.

Yes but it depends on the situation if this is a problem or not!

> My previous
> post suggests a guaranteed method that copies all the files and
> directories across from one HD to another without destroying the
> partitions that have been set up on the second HD.

Well, I would not defend dd against using tar or cpio to copy file systems. It
is cleaner to use "logical" copy than using "physical" copy with dd. But dd is
easier to use (You have nothing to do before a part connecting the disk to your
machine. The advantage of dd however is obvious when you have other systems on
the same disk and you want to copy them also.

Best regards
Mohamad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew)
Crossposted-To: git.unix.linux
Subject: Re: Multiboot question
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:52:03 GMT

Shaun Dishman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Here is my current scenario:

: /dev/hda : Maxtor 4 GB HD, Running Windows NT 4.0
: /dev/hdc:  Western Digital 6.4 GB HD, Running Linux RedHat 6.0

: I have currently come to the conclusion that, although I am happy at the
: fact that I am running 2 incredibly stable OSes, I have no outlet
: through which to play most of my games (besides Q2, that is).  So I have
: decided to sell my soul and put a small win95 partition on my computer,
: just big enough to hold all of the games I'd like to play.  Currently my
: system is being booted through the NT Boot Loader, and my question is
: this:  is there any way I can add a 95 partition to this system and not
: have to redo everything, thereby losing the games I have on there (and
: can't replace)?  I understand that one of the above would probably have
: to be formatted and split up to make room for a new partition (unless I
: use partition magic), but my problem lies in the fact that I'm scared
: that if I set up a w95 partition, it's going to overwrite the MBR and
: screw over the linux/NT partitions.  Has anybody done this, or have a
: viable solution?  Thanks...

I'm paranoid about destroying two OS's in one shot, so rather than dual-
booting, I bought some hot-swap boxes (www.promise.com) where the hard
drive goes into a caddie which is easily removed from the docking port
that you install in a 5.25" drive bay. Promise also sells ide controllers
that do raid 0,1 or 0+1 that you can use in conjunction with the hot-swap
boxes.

Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: How can I remove components from KDE?
Date: 16 Jun 1999 03:10:51 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:23:36 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>     I want to remove the newsreader from KDE (the KRM that came with
>the KDE).

shhhh ... the author often reads here (-;

>Can it be done without wrecking everything else?

Depending on your KDE installation, You'll need to either uninstall
kdenetwork ( in which case , you lose kppp, kmail, and the other net stuff )
or the kdenetwork-news ( or whatever it's called ) package ( in which case
nothing else will be affected ) If you have slackware, you can just nuke the
individual files and it wont wreck anything else ( just make sure you nuke the
right files !!! )

--
Donovan