  Re: caller id program for the computer? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mayor Of R'lyeh)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:01:35 GMT

On 18 Jan 1999 18:24:27 +0100, David Kastrup
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> chose to bless us
all with this bit of wisdom:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mayor Of R'lyeh) writes:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:30:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stephen)
>> chose to bless us all with this bit of wisdom:
>>
>> >Also, ZDNet's Charles Cooper says Boies is much more effective than
>> >his
>> >opponents from Sullivan & Cromwell.
>>
>> And what is it that makes his opinion so important?
>>
>> >  (Of course, they have the
>> >disadvantage
>> >of having a guilty client.  :-)
>>
>> I wasn't aware that the trial was over. Of course even after Microsoft
>> is cleared of all charges you will, doubtless, still consider them
>> guilty.
>
>Anybody that has not by now noticed that they are playing the part of
>a real messy, ugly and mean bully using all sorts of dirty tricks in
>order to smash their opponents in the software industry with a
>vengeance while not just relying on the renowned high quality of their
>products should have his head examined.

Anybody who hasn't noticed that's how big business is done everywhere
needs to get out more. Microsoft wasn't as nice to their competitors
as they could have been. BFD! Who is?

>They are clearly guilty of that

So is everyone else you can name.

>, and the outcome of the trial does not
>change it one bit.  Whether they are more guilty of it than several of
>its important opponents would be a different question.  It is my
>opinion that they are, but there might be different opinions.
>
>It is not the purpose of the trial to figure out about either of this.
>It *is* the purpose of the trial if their actions have not only been
>loathsome, but illegal according to the laws of the United States.
>This, of course, is a matter for which opinion polls cannot provide an
>answer.

Well, except for the loathsome remark, we agree on this much.

>For this reason, Microsoft tries to make up all sorts of fantastic
>claims about its ground swell support and is laughing in its fist if
>its opponents try focusing on that argumentation.  If the trial will
>mostly focus about public opinion instead of the law, Microsoft will
>have an easy play in the higher courts in order to have the decision
>thrown out.

They aleady have an easy path to an appeal. Judge Jackson has been
overwhelmingly prejudiced against them in the past. That's all it
would take if he found them guilty in this trial.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
 And with strange aeons even death may die."
- Abdul Alhazred, Necronomicon

------------------------------

From: Chris Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:06:04 -0500

Chris Allen wrote:
> Have you looked at Technet for a possible solution for your problems?
> Have you looked anywhere?  One the first two problems, I'm sure they can
> be fixed.  Most of my developers use Netscape.  If Dr Watson generated
> errors that often with it, I'd hear about it, a lot.  As for the Win95
> share issue, that's another one I'd get pinged on since many of my Win95
> users like to create shortcuts to shares on their laptops and
> workstations so they can copy docs back and forth.

I seriously doubt the problems are wide-spread, none of my other
machines do it either. So my point is not that Windows == crap, my point
is that Windows can be destabilized with very little effort, and then
the 'user friendly' fades in importance.

And no, I have done nothing to fix it. If it gets any worse I will move
the rest of my documents onto another partition and do a clean install.
For the moment, drwatsn32.log is passing 350K :)

> Let's face it, if
> these problems were occuring under linux (Netscape would crash Afterstep
> 1.0 on my box rather often, StarOffice's install locked up the keyboard
> and X every time I tried it), you'd be looking for patches or bugfixes.
> However, since it occurs under NT, it's OBVIOUSLY NT's fault.

Let's face it, if these problems were occurring under Linux, there would
be a patch, or a bug fix, or a config file that I got something wrong
in. Every problem I've hit so far was either the third, or not worth
worrying about.

Under 9x Netscape crashes left and right. Even the elementary kids get
trained to press Close on the error message and restart Netscape. There
I blame Netscape and/or Netscape's interaction with Windows.

My IDE leaves Java processes open on occasion. There I blame the IDE
and/or the IDE's interaction with the JDK and/or the IDE's interaction
with Windows.

When I get a Windows install working, change nothing for months, and
then all my apps start crashing at the same point, I blame Windows. And
when the explorer crashes with nothing else running I blame Windows.

> I get really annoyed at this attitude that Windows is crap while Linux
> is golden.  I have too many stable windows boxes to believe that.  I've
> had problems with linux that I never had under windows.  Does that mean
> the OS is at fault? No, it means I've missed something, somewhere.
> Windows has it's faults, and stability is one of them.  However, it all
> rests on the ability of the person maintaining the system.  Even Win95
> can be stable.  I have a Win95 laptop (P90 16megs of ram) running as a
> network virus scanner.  It hasn't been rebooted in two months.

How about a hard drive set with partition 1 = NTFS, 2 = Linux, 3 = Linux
Swap, 4 = FAT16. Partition Magic could force NT to map to the FAT16
drive, and it worked perfectly, but every time the machine got rebooted
it lost the drive. Solved by moving the FAT16 to #2.

Or the Windows 98 machine that had IE forcibly removed, and then could
not paste to the desktop, though everything else worked... Solution A)
rebuild a nicely undocumented registry, Solution B) reinstall.

I have seen quite a few Windows machines that worked perfectly, and that
lived through years of usage by students, with no appreciable support.
There are the proxy servers in the schools, which get left on 24/7 for
months at a time, all Windows 95, all work. When Windows works, it's
good. When Windows fails, format and rebuild normally takes about two
hours.

Windows != crap

Windows < stable --> Linux > Windows
read: Windows being less than stable implies that Linux is greater than
Windows

Chris

------------------------------

From: Marco Anglesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:24:21 GMT

In alt.os.linux Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Look at PC/GEOS as well for some amazing stuff on XT-class hardware.
> (That's GeoWorks Ensemble 1.x for those that remember)

GeoWorks was pretty damn nice. I think that I had the last version and ran
it on an early 486 - it was zippy for the time and the UI was quite
sophisticated.

marco

--
Marco Anglesio                                    Like Captain Idiot
mpa at the-wire dot com                 in Astounding Science comics

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:54:33 +0000

Christopher Browne wrote:

It just doesn't matter. That is forty years from now (OK 39), think
about what computers were like 40 years ago. In the fifties, what we
think of as computers did not exist.

40 years from now, supporting 32 bit computers would be like trying to
support vacuum tube computers today. If any of the systems we use today,
are in use 40 years from now, the world has suffered a nuclear war.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (zentara)
Subject: Re: SB 32 PnP w/out OSS?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:00:14 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:48:19 +0100, Daniel Dui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a Sound Blaster 32 plug-and-play.
>
>Some time ago, i managed to make it work (fiddling with isapnptools)
>with .wav files and CD, but never with MIDI files.
>
>Now I have installed OSS and everything works fine.
>
>I wander if it is possible to make everything work without using OSS.
>
>Last thing: I still don't understand how to load/unload in memory
>soundbanks
>either with or without OSS.

You can make it work without OSS.
Since you have it working under OSS, I guess
you have your isapnp.conf working properly.

Then you need to apply the AWE kernel patch to the
kernel source, recompile sound as module, and "enable low-level
drivers" in the kernel menuconfig.

I have done this with Suse, but when I tried to do
it with Redhat5.2, the kernel menuconfig keeps
"forcing me" to use OSSFREE, and I can't
do the sound module properly.

You may have better luck.

If you get the above method to work, you
load soundfonts with the "sfxload" utility.
A command like "sfxload synthgm.sf2" will
load the synthgm.sf2 soundfont.

The kernel patch can be obtained at

From: "Oliver Graemer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation via nfs fails!!
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:55:13 +0100

Hi,

I have installed Debian 2.0 on one of my computers. The nfs is compiled as a
module in the kernel. I tryed to install Debian on the second computer via
nfs, but I got the
message:

mount: RPC: Program not registered

How can I solve this problem?

thx!
Oliver

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux on Mac...
Date: 18 Jan 1999 20:57:17 GMT

what about the lack of the second mouse button?  how do you deal with
that?

Perry Fecteau
Milhouse Consortium
http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto

------------------------------

From: Phil Adamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Which is the best colour printer for Linux?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 17:30:46 GMT

In uk.comp.os.linux Phil Adamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In uk.comp.os.linux Phillip Deackes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: : Is there an affordable colour postsript printer? Would postcript
: : printers necessarily give better quality printing? Is there any printer
: : manufacturer actually considering producing a Linux printer driver?

: If you get a colour postscript printer, then the quality will be all down
: to the printer - there won't be any OS dependencies or ghostscript
: colour-isn't-quite-right problems, as you just send postscript to the
: printer, and it deals with it.

: Whether there are any affordable ones rather depends on your defenition of
: affordable. You won't pay less than four figures for one though.

Hmm. My brain appears to have inserted the work 'laser' where it wasn't
present. You can get colour inkjets that do postscript for three figure
sums.

--
   _/_/_/  _/  _/ _/ _/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  U Sussex / MINOS
  _/   _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/     You can use the latest toothpaste

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Malthouse)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.x,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:50:18 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

} > Also, the manual I got with RH 5.0 and RH 5.1 both give good ideas
} > as to partitioning.
}
} I don't agree; it gives a lot of suggestions, but they aren't
particularly good
} ones, and the fact that it has to go into such detail indicates a
relatively
} poor installer in the first place.

Solaris will auto set the partitions acroding to what it thinks are good
ideas with what disc space you have and what you've chosen to install.

I've never yet done such an install without customising Solaris' scheme;
usually by deleting all and setting them from scratch.

I'd agree that the reasoning behind partitioning can be a little obscure
for the newbie - it's tripped me up more than once - but it isn't so
difficult that it can't be done.

Matthew

--
   "Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto"
http://www.calmeilles.demon.co.uk/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 18 Jan 1999 22:11:01 GMT

Matthias Warkus allegedly wrote:
>It was the 17 Jan 1999 20:45:13 -0800...
>..and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> i am more red nick than you 100 times over.
>> i am from the mid west,
>> i spend my time working on my car.
>> and stay on ther subject at hand next time, will you?
>              ^^^^
>:->>>>>
>
>Ah hope yer put some all in yer pickup truck so it won't catch far.

Now now...nobody puts all in their truck, it's erl ;)

[SNIPlet]

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: John F. Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: PROPAGANDA - A Message From President Kennedy
Date: 18 Jan 1999 17:37:10 GMT

|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                        P  R  O  P  A  G  A  N  D  A                       |
|                       http://shycgf.chem.arizona.edu                      |
|                        http://www.primenet.com/~bjp                       |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
| President John F. Kennedy                                                 |
| PROPAGANDA HQ                                                             |
| Tucson, AZ 85716                                                          |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
| My fellow Americans,                                                      |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|    In the past, this information had been supressed -- But now it can be  |
|                                                                           |
| told. It is time you learned THE TRUTH ABOUT MENUDO, and their strategic  |
|                                                                           |
| importance to the Linux movement.                                         |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|    For the past twenty years, Menudo have been ensuring the overthrow of  |
|                                                                           |
| the enemy - while cleverly concealing their true mission by performing    |
|                                                                           |
| as international pop star sensations. Take a deep breath, prepare         |
|                                                                           |
| yourself for the truth, and visit PROPAGANDA HQ to learn about the        |
|                                                                           |
| details of my 20-year involvement in THE MENUDO CONSPIRACY. The future    |
|                                                                           |
| of Linux depends upon the decision you make today.                        |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                              Your President,              |
|                                                                           |
|                                              John Fitzgerald Kennedy      |
|                                                                           |
|                                              January 18, 1999             |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
 For more information about PROPAGANDA, visit http://shycgf.chem.arizona.edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:56:51 -0800

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:01:35 GMT, Mayor Of R'lyeh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 18 Jan 1999 18:24:27 +0100, David Kastrup
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> chose to bless us
>all with this bit of wisdom:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mayor Of R'lyeh) writes:
>>
>>> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:30:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stephen)
>>> chose to bless us all with this bit of wisdom:

>>> And what is it that makes his opinion so important?

>>> I wasn't aware that the trial was over. Of course even after Microsoft
>>> is cleared of all charges you will, doubtless, still consider them
>>> guilty.
>>
>>Anybody that has not by now noticed that they are playing the part of
>>a real messy, ugly and mean bully using all sorts of dirty tricks in
>>order to smash their opponents in the software industry with a
>>vengeance while not just relying on the renowned high quality of their
>>products should have his head examined.
>
>Anybody who hasn't noticed that's how big business is done everywhere
>needs to get out more. Microsoft wasn't as nice to their competitors
>as they could have been. BFD! Who is?

        That doesn't make Microsoft any less reprehensible.
        It just means that Billy doesn't have nearly as big
        a fin as he thought he did. In the end, he may end
        up taking his more adept colleagues down with him
        as more people become aware of everything ELSE that
        goes on.

>>They are clearly guilty of that
>
>So is everyone else you can name.
>
>>, and the outcome of the trial does not
>>change it one bit.  Whether they are more guilty of it than several of
>>its important opponents would be a different question.  It is my
>>opinion that they are, but there might be different opinions.
>>
>>It is not the purpose of the trial to figure out about either of this.
>>It *is* the purpose of the trial if their actions have not only been
>>loathsome, but illegal according to the laws of the United States.
>>This, of course, is a matter for which opinion polls cannot provide an
>>answer.
>
>Well, except for the loathsome remark, we agree on this much.
>>
>>For this reason, Microsoft tries to make up all sorts of fantastic
>>claims about its ground swell support and is laughing in its fist if
>>its opponents try focusing on that argumentation.  If the trial will
>>mostly focus about public opinion instead of the law, Microsoft will
>>have an easy play in the higher courts in order to have the decision
>>thrown out.
>
>They aleady have an easy path to an appeal. Judge Jackson has been
>overwhelmingly prejudiced against them in the past. That's all it
>would take if he found them guilty in this trial.
>

>"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
> And with strange aeons even death may die."
>- Abdul Alhazred, Necronomicon

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Kryz Caputa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Automount
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:22:24 -0800

Rick Dearman wrote:

> Is there an automount program for linux?
>
> So I could have my machine automount the users home directorys from
> another NFS drive.
> Or automount removable media?

Yes. It is called autofs, in my RedHat 5.2 the rpm with autofs is:

autofs-3.1.1-8

--
Kryz Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering

------------------------------

From: Kryz Caputa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: QNX scheduler, cdrdao
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:11:32 -0800

Is QNX scheduler a part of standard kernel? Which kernels might have it?
What may be advantages or disadvantages of having it activated?

Audio CD program cdrdao appears to be able to take advantage of QNX when
available. Anybody out there who's using cdrdao?

From: Marco Anglesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clintoon -- was: Newbie asks: why Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:17:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Convenient of you to ignore the 17 indictments and 16 convictions that
> Starr got for the 40 million.

And none of them were of Clinton. When comparing Starr and Welch, bear in
mind that Iran-Contra was actually something important, something that
bore upon the functioning of the nation. Watergate? A twenty-year-old real
estate deal. L'affaire Lewinsky? A consensual blowjob.

Starr's convictions are perhaps more indicative of a desire to squeeze
Clinton by indicting his friends and associates, and even their friends
and associates (witness the most recent indictment, that of Julie Hiatt,
an active Republican but also a friend of Kathleen Willey's, who
publically recanted her story (Willey and Hiatt both did, Willey's
allegations and Hiatt's corroboration)).

With all the recantations and revelations regarding Starr's witnesses (the
principal witness for charges related to Watergate itself was a disbarred
judge and convicted felon; the Arkansas state trooper who fingered Clinton
was bought and paid for by the American Spectator and ultimately by
Richard Mellon Scaife, to the tune of over seventeen grand) one should
look at the entire thing as possibly and even probably tainted.

All the same Reagan did let the independent counsel statute expire and his
successor, Bush, did nothing to reimplement it; Clinton ressurrected it.
That is certainly an important part of his legacy.

marco

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    (John Thompson)
Subject: Re: Abnormal characters appended in Netscape input field
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:19:14 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have experienced sometimes some extra abnormal characters may appended
>to the text typed in the url or in the form fields.
>Is there any setting we missed to do? The same version of netscape for
>window never has this error. This happened in version 4.5, 4.07 and 4.05
>of netscape.

I see this regularly with NS v4.05 on one machine here.  I've
never seen it on my other machine using NS v4.04

I don't have a fix for you, sorry...

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Steve Sanyal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Redhat 5.2 Runlevel 5 not working properly
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:39:08 GMT

Hi,

I decided to start Redhat 5.2 automatically, and set my /etc/inittab file
accordingly (I changed the runlevel from 3 to 5).

Everything appeared to go well the first time, and the second, but after
that, I have found it just drops me into the shell login, despite the fact
that my bootup says that Runlevel 5 is starting.

When I tried to start X after that, I get the following error messages:

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (error no 2)

_X11TransSocketUnixConnect:
Can't connect: error no: 111... giving up.

xinit: connection refused (error 111)  unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (error no 3): server error.

I tried changing the runlevel back to 3, but the same thing occurred, even
after several reboots.
I tried changing it back to 5 after that, and then I got another odd
phenomenon.  First, I got the shell login prompt, and after I logged in as
root, I then got the X-windows login prompt.

I could then login using either root, or my regular account.  However, once
I rebooted again, I got the same problem - I only got the shell, and X
wouldn't start, and I would get those same errors I mentioned above.

Just FYI, I am rebooting by using the following command in an Xterminal:

shutdown -r now

And for shutting down my pc, I am using:

shutdown -h now

Which is the way it says I should be doing it in my Redhat book.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  My TCP/IP still works (I can telnet
to places, FTP, etc.), but that is not much good a lot of the time, because
I want to run Netscape, etc.

An additional question - I was told that to use a graphics mode other than 8
bpp, I need to set it using XF86Config, but I have done so, and it doesn't
do any good.  I have even used XF86Setup, which is a nice graphical program
that you can install, and it lets you set everything using a GUI, but I am
still only loading up in 8 bit mode.

I have an ATI 3D Expression+ PC2TV with 4 MB of RAM, and an AcerView 76e
monitor, so I'd like to get some more use out of them!  I am having to
resort to rebooting Windows NT in order to have any kind of viewing pleasure
at my computer screen.

I've heard you can specify the mode in startx by typing:

startx -- -bpp 32

But what do you do if you want to use Runlevel 5, and run Xwindows at the
login prompt?

Any help would be appreciated!  I have finally bought a few books, which
should help me, but I am quite lost, after having spent the past dozen years
with DOS and Windows.

Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Subject: Re: caller id program for the computer?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:13:08 GMT

See my FAQ for some ideas - it's a bit of a nightmare on NT as MS still
haven't got round to doing a Unimodem for NT, but things like mgetty will
work.

Alastair

Computer Caller ID FAQ : http://www.cloud9.u-net.com/callerid.htm