From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dillon Pyron)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: A newbie versus "vi"
Date: 20 Jan 1999 20:46:39 GMT

In article <7857ct$lnv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   David Augros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > have you never heard of emacs?
> > emacs is not just an editor, it is an Operating System.
> > in truth, emacs is a way of life.
> > emacs is big.
> > emacs is powerful.
> > emacs takes forever to load.
> > but once it's loaded, you don't have to load anything else.
> > because emacs does EVERYTHING!
> > use emacs.
> > love emacs.
> > be emacs.
> >
> > btw, emacs is available for every *NIX platform, and even NT.
> > it is sure to be on your installation CD, if not on your HD already.
> >
> > type 'emacs' wherever you see the $ sign.
> > you will not be disappointed.
> > you will bless the day you met emacs.
> > you will use vi when you have to, but in the throws of passion, you will
> say...
> >
> > ohh emacs!!!!
> >
> > and vi will crash in a huff.
> >
> > HARHAR, but it is true.

And when your system goes tu, do you know how to edit the requisite files to get
it up and running again?

> > dave
> >

> Do you need a smoke, now? We are only talking about an _program_, aren't we?
> ;?} -- THKS Jeff

Hey, for emacs junkies, it's not better than sex, it's the closest thing they can
find.

--
dillon pyron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: hexen?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:16:12 +0100

It was the Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:01:23 GMT...
..and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Is there ane news on who is porting hexen to linux, or where more info
> might be located?

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

------------------------------

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to start programming in Linux
Date: 23 Jan 1999 02:44:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Just a start:  To compile a file hello.c under Linux:

: gcc hello.c -o hello

I get simpler. I type:

gcc hello.c
mv a.out hello

For an auto-executed file, I'd type:

gcc countdown.c
mv a.out countdown.exe

I name auto-executed proggies *.exe. Somehow, I don't think he's a raw
newbie at C itself, only new to Linux. :) I don't use the -o option becuse
in the past I messed up at the command line a few times and reverted to
the simpler method for the compile. Of course, this is my own problem. :)
Instead of ranting, I merely adapted.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
   T-minus 343 Days, 3 Hours, and 18 Minutes until Y2K and counting.

3434298 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wim Vandeputte)
Crossposted-To: be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Telnet wont work...
Date: 21 Jan 1999 14:53:32 GMT

Jan Warrot ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: connect from a windows95 machine, i can see that the session is connected. I
: even hear activity on the disk off the linux but i can see no text on my
: sesion for about 30 seconds, one minute. After that period commes the login
: prompt on screen but has my logon timed out...

Fix your DNS. Put the ip address of your win95 box in /etc/hosts with some
fake name.

*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*
Wim Vandeputte                                       --Comfort is Treachery--
                                              --So pound the nails in tight--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Removed NETEAR FA310TX- Wont work after putting it back in.
Date: 23 Jan 1999 04:19:24 GMT

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:02:50 -0500, burk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I recently read on another newsgroup that the newer FA310TX's no longer
>use the DEC tulip chip set and give Linux fits. Anybody else hear this?
>Jason does your card have the DEC chip on it (IIRC it was easily visible
>on the card)?
>
>-burk

I had FA310TX revD1 for four days at which time it finally died! It has
a Lite-On PNIC which is kinda supported but very unreliable. At the
beginning it had some performance issues and had a hard time receiving
bradcasts(dhcpc). By the fourth day it was unable to communicate at ALL!
I tried the tulip.c shipped with it (0.88) and couple other versions
including the freshest 0.90f. None of the were able to revive it by
the fourth day. After searching the newsgroups I found out that I
wasn't the only person with problems with this card. Apparently if
it will manage to work for you it'll be much slower than DECtulip
and unreliable when receiving Broadcasts.

I got Intel EtherExpress Pro+ 10/100 and can't be happier with it.
Great performance, decent price 65$, and very well supported.

Good Luck

BTW my "episode" with Netgear happened this week.

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://fly.to/saahbs

------------------------------

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 23 Jan 1999 02:48:56 +0000

* Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| ... I use two spaces after sentence-ending punctuation.

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs)
| Which is some odd relict that somebody still seems to believe is needed...

  wow!  it's possible to smoke out certain people with only two spaces.
  I just love it.

#:Erik
--
  SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random
  intervals to make them remember that There Has To Be A Better Way.

------------------------------

From: Darren Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot problem
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:38:19 GMT

How much physical memory do you have?  How much swap space?
The reason I ask is because I just installed Linux on my 486 and it wouldn't
boot following the install.  During the installation I didn't pay attention to
the services that I chose to start up.  It was trying to start up too many
services and ran out of memory prior to getting through the boot process.  To
get it to boot I used a boot floppy(tom's rootboot floppy) and mounted the hard
disk's root partition and changed the default runlevel to 2 so that it wouldn't
start up all the network services.  This file is in /etc called inittab(if you
didn't know this)  After doing this I got it booted.   Tom's root boot is a
single floppy distribution at www.toms.net.  It is great for things like
this(other stuff too of course).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Leblanc)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and Linux benchmarks
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:09:00 GMT

I'd have to say that netcraft is wrong.  Microsoft tried to get it to
run on NT, but found that NT didn't scale to that size.  They're
running on a big cluster of SUN boxes running Solaris.

On 21 Jan 1999 10:55:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>--
>--
>Peter Håkanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
>Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
>Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

Greg Leblanc
Network Admin
Concordia University Portland
gleblanc at cu-portland.edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
junk,alt.music.mariah.carey,rec.music.artists.mariah-carey,alt.revenge,alt.revenge,alt.music.beastie-boys,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Wardialer War Dialer WARDIALER WARDIAL windows95 windows98
Date: 23 Jan 1999 05:08:59 GMT

Kep de geir ixi
la br ns di?

Rhieee glt zaedeob vgymga yolr
bukya axssl zhq kee pid
cj penpu eyo hgm coo
dstj petwc qemxa mxude tzd
mfus klue iolj dn.

Ekbbsg cefo yuikt al
ai yu ss vdte eeyka
oir fkf dhkd erbop glgz
uaafec pegfa el idev dznyp prpee?

Hoed xms emhbva emeji mlmr
tt quuq ii nspps?

Gby diikb qlad lje
ljtcls dw ly lm ukr ho.

Meewme eegwr gyoem oisr kenp
uefs lbd wfy mbeql
fvfrs wjehg vqhhl tj qqhl
waemaa mb epee skiu
lec eaz mfyt haa krve qneud
giex jcye rvpzs el hpiah gyruz
be soaie lmhie gammu fo
esadarr ms dztf dydle
di fko rme eek
eli rmppt klif szfrm
qr mjivk tel ihiiel oetl krfd
yobce qtjuyi zpwt oannrl oeyixv uq
ydeme koqpa xlk yge byafl
mlyr eqj ilgzpc itfv hgp ihj
uue leks err liws
rape ztxzt eab pulac
usbg utl amz ksrpg.

Bndt oih eie ebev tlh leqo
adegaxq ek keiiqq sbf eskd
yifbrli edeekhe lt yfgoroa uk
et uae tay ol jppv ae.

Lbdk knebf lor tlmpyq lyc
bmceu feelt zcs eaxr edmf nle.

Lism gyz fihlp uq
mkm rkueb urw fol pevqd?

Mtutn ptmyjl ktx kpxt.

Zairmj ly bm rub wr tr
ubll eju kim nbw woto.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: A newbie versus "vi" [HOLY WARS ALERT]
Date: 21 Jan 1999 15:35:37 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the 20 Jan 1999 00:35:46 -0500...
>..and Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>      Al, who finds vi nice and TECO amusing. But EMACS... Nah. It's M$ of
>> editors. Heck, even M$ had to spend quite a few years until they managed to
>> build similar monolitic, slow and bloated memory hog.
>
>Emacs is actually very modular. Look at where all the functionality is
>loaded from. I don't know whether it supports unloading of modules, though...

>From a big messy collection of stuff written in the most losing version
of LISP I ever seen. To start with, it's a single process from the scheduler's
POV. I *would* agree that putting EMACS as an additional server over Mach
would have some hack value, but it's *not* a good candidate for UNIX process.
My main beef against EMACS is that it provides quite enough LISP to taint you
and it invariably sucks several megaLl when you are trying to write on it as
if it was the real thing. The same as in MSDOS - you are trying to use it as
if it was UNIX and... Oh, and EMACS bindings suck, but *that* can be redefined.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Hay)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Lynx won't connect remote files...
Date: 22 Jan 1999 15:58:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nick Kew wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Hay) writes:
>> This is standard in http 1.0 where the client doesn't tell the client
>> the name of the host it is requesting the file from.

>Pardon??
Sorry I meant the client doesn't tell the server.
>The Host header is technically optional in HTTP/1.0, but in practice
>is better supported than much that is *required*.
RFC1945 (which defines http 1.0) doesn't even mention the Host header
and states that other headers cannot be added reliably without a
protocol version change.
It is quite well supported in servers but not so much in clients.

>>        You should be able to
>> work around this in most cases by specifying a proxy server.  Proxy
>> servers are always requested to serve the full URL even in http 1.0
>
>Erm - what is your browser going to tell the proxy that it won't tell
>the server?  And what exactly in HTTP/1.0 are you talking about?
The absoluteURI (as opposed to the absolute path) which it is forbidden
to use (section 5.1.2 of RFC1945) when connecting directly.  The proxy
can then extract the host and get the correct document.

------------------------------

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Subject: Re: X on a laptop
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:01:27 -0500

Linux on laptop page:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

------------------------------

From: Christoph Lindner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting problem !
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:32:09 +0100

I've got a problem while booting my machine !

Booting by floppy disk is no problem, but as soon as I boot
by hard disk the booting procedure stops after the
following output:

>  AX.25 ethernet driver version 0.01
>  Partition Check:
>  hdb: 98304 kB, 32/64/96 CHS, 4096 KBps, 512 sector size, 2941 rpm
>  hdb: no media in the drive
>  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
>  hdd: [PTBL][790/255/63] hdd1 <hdd5 hdd6 hdd7 hdd8>
>  VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
>  unable to open an initial console

The lilo-configuration is both on the floppy disk and on the hard disk
the same,
(just changing the destination in lilo.conf ) !

I use the SUSE distribution.

Thank you

Chris

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 21 Jan 1999 06:39:36 -0800

Shaun Lipscombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i also, always choose a good monitor and keyboard.  As you rightly
> state, if you don't wish to suffer from repetitive strain injuries, or
> such like, it is a neccesity.

Or even if you do!
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Ivo Naninck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: switching in and out of an Xwindow console
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:00:12 +0100

Try ALT-F7

--
Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!
Ivo Naninck.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.sun.apps
Subject: Re: StarOffice and Microsoft Office
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:58:32 +0000

Bob Warshawsky wrote:

> Timothy J. Lee wrote:
>
> Of course, free versus $695.00 for Applixware is something to ponder....
Where was Applix $695.00? It was $79.00 at Microcenter in Cambridge MA
and about the same on cheap bytes.

Besides, the demo of applix comes with RH 5.2 and S.u.S.E. free.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: TAR question
From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Jan 1999 13:11:34 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Linux or FreeBSD?
Date: 22 Jan 1999 21:41:05 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Johansson) writes:

> > 3. Support my SoundBlaster AWE 64
>
> Linux does seem to have better sound support in general.  I have no
> idea how your card runs on either.

It works with FreeBSD if you use Luigi's pcm sound driver (which will
become the default audio driver once MIDI support and a few other
things are added to it from the older voxware).

> The emulation is very good, but not complete.  If you plan on running
> any of the commercial Linux apps, you *deffinately* want to go with
> Linux over FreeBSD.

I think this is an overly harsh indictment and probably reflects an
older impression of the Linux emulation code.  What's currently in the
3.0 and 4.0 branches, for example, is more than capable of running
just about every bit of Linux commercial software shy of WABI and we
know that because we've made a more aggressive effort to test and fix
stuff like this lately (WABI is sort of a special case given some of
the kernel support it needs).  Both Sybase and Oracle have been shown
to work with the new linux emulation support, for example, as have
star office and applixware.  You just need to enable the linux thread
support (see LINT) and you're off and running.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  Co-founder/Release Manager, The FreeBSD Project

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Taylor Sutherland)
Subject: Re: Lost with RPM and installing new applications RH Linux 5.2
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 05:45:37 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 05:16:53 GMT, "A.R.Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The easiest way is to start X-windows.  You should then see a toolbar with
>some icons.  One of them is for RPM.  Click on it and it will bring up the
>X-Window frontend to rpm.  There is a setup which will tell RPM where to
>look for packages, you may need to change this to your directory where you
>have the files stored.  Afterwards, highlight the package and install.

I'm having trouble with rpm'ing src packages...theoretically, rpm
--rebuilding a #src.rpm will create a binary rpm...well, all I get (as
root doing this) is bad usr/group or some such...  Basically, it's not
letting me do it.  The tarball is created, so I can do all the
compiling by hand, but, it's a pain..

any suggestions?

Taylor Sutherland