Linux-Misc Digest #730, Volume #23                Thu, 2 Mar 00 11:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Windows v.s. Linux (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: What is MAGIC COOKIE and why cant I run apps as su? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Why would Mandrake install stall? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames? (Yan Seiner)
  Re: Netscape using all memory in linux (Dances With Crows)
  Running on a single processor ("Marcelo Mercio Dandrea")
  Re: converting DOS formatted text to Linux (Edwin Johnson)
  mount a compressed DOS filesystem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SoftOSS: Only some channels play (Rod Smith)
  Re: ext2 for NT/9x (Rod Smith)
  The Cart before the Horse. ("Max Normal")
  Re: recursive grep? (John Hasler)
  Re: The Cart before the Horse. (Simon Kristensen)
  Re: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames? (Paul Hughett)
  Re: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames? (Nathan Cuka)
  Re: RedHat - Suse (Gerald Willmann)
  latest gnome dependencies ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: top (or other) for SMP? (Alex Vrenios)
  Re: staroffice (aflinsch)
  Re: system requirements? (Gerald Willmann)
  Problem with portmap on Redhat 5.2 (Wallace Barnes III)
  Re: system requirements? (David Faure)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Windows v.s. Linux
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:27:31 GMT

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:39:40 GMT, nldgr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>brian moore wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:20:24 GMT,
>>  JT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > If you run mostly games, then you are better off with WIndows.
>>
>> Or a Playstation. :)
>>

>Or a nice shiny new sandbox with shiny sand.

That's an idea!! Here I was, all dissatisfied by my old sandbox with it's lumpy
sand. I'll just trade it in for a nice shiny new sandbox with shiny sand and
life will be wonderful again ;-)

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: What is MAGIC COOKIE and why cant I run apps as su?
Date: 2 Mar 2000 16:28:52 +0300

In comp.os.linux.portable Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I try to run apps from a terminal window, after issuing the su
> command i get the following error:
> Xliib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

> WHat is this and how do I fix things so I can run apps as su?

It means that there is shared secret between your X server and your
apps.  And your app need to prove that it knows this secret before X
server let you app to draw something.

When you type su and become another person (i.e. root) you loose
this secret. Actually, this secret saved in file in your home directory.
Being root you can access this file. But your X apps should know where to
search for magic cookie.

You can provide them with information by setting environment  var
XAUTHORITY to the your .Xauthority file.

I do this by putting following statement;

eval XAUTHORITY=`echo ~$USER/.Xauthority`
export XAUTHORITY
into root's .bashrc

Thus when I type su without - (and $USER env var still contains my real
name) I can start x apps as root.
> Any and all help appreciated.

> --
> To reply by email remove NOSPAM from my address.

Victor Wagner                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Programmer                      Office:7-(095)-203-50-60
Institute for Commerce          Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Engineering                     http://www.ice.ru/~vitus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Why would Mandrake install stall?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:18:39 GMT

Should I turn off PnP(Plug n pray) in the BIOS? I have an existing Mandrake
(same version 6.0)on it, but am trying to keep my /usr. SHould I just wipe
both /hda1 and /hda5 clean and start from scratch?

It actually makes it this far: loading glibc2.1 but stops right before
the status bar makes it all the way through.

I tried upgrading but I have messed my root dir somehow, and the install
notices this and says this doesn't seem to be a valid root something, that's
why I chose 'Install' instead of upgrade.

Think it's all the new HW? e.g. Voodoo1 + Stealth 3D for video, 32 M RAM,
MAXTOR 24x CDROM (which aws detected nicely), SB 16 card, HSP modem, mouse in
serial port (which failed to detect for some reason) Suggestions or advice
from existing Mandrake 6.0 reinstallers or anybody would be greatly
appreciated!

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:07:11 -0500

I'm trying to archive files from one hard disk to another.  Here's the
command:

#tar cf - -C /data `find  /data/Cardinal/Projects -mtime -7 -type f |
cut -d/ -f3-7 | sort | uniq | sed s/^/\"/ | sed s/$/\"/ ` | tar xf - -C
/archive

The whole idea is to copy all projects whose files have been modified in
the last 7 days.  The find command returns what I would think is a
correct list:

"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/BSI.Beaufort Survey Inc/001.road design"
"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/Caa.Cottages @ Beaufort/dwgs"
"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/bcs.Beaufort County Schools/001.Shell Point
Elementary"
"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/bfg.Beaufort Glass/001.Building expansion"
"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/bfg.Beaufort Glass/_SCRATCH"
"Cardinal/Projects/A.civil/brg.bragg const/a.brg.002"

I would think that because the file names are enclosed in '"' tar would
treat the spaces as belonging to the file name.  No such luck; tar
treats the '"' as part of the file name and insists on trying to find
fragmentary files.  The problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get
tar to recognize spaces in file names.

I have to keep the directory structure in the archive.

I can't help but think I am missing something obvious.

-Yan

--

Think different
        ride a recumbent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Netscape using all memory in linux
Date: 02 Mar 2000 08:57:38 EST

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:58:41 -0800, Bev <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>linux user wrote:
>> Version 4.72 is out. Maybe we will be more lucky :)
>
>Mine even hangs while I'm reading news.  Shame it's the only crapgame in
>town.

I had that problem too.  Netscape is a rather poor newsreader as these
things go, so why not try slrn or tin or GNUS or Emacs?  There's even a
KDE news client out there somewhere, though it was a bit lacking last I
saw.

Browsers are for browsing.  Not for doing E-mail, reading news, or FTPing.
If Netscape had remembered that, they wouldn't have nearly so many
problems with their monstrous bloated hog that tries to be all things to
all users...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: "Marcelo Mercio Dandrea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running on a single processor
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:40:20 -0300

    Hello There,

        Does anyone knows if its possible (and if so, how can I do it) to
make a processe that spawns several childs to "see" a SMP machine as a
single processor machine and to run itself and all of its childs on the same
processor ?

Thanks,

Marcelo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: converting DOS formatted text to Linux
Date: 2 Mar 2000 14:01:57 GMT

The command tr can be used to modify a file from the command line.
...Edwin

On 2 Mar 2000 02:29:25 -0600, Kenny McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <38ad378a$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Herb Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In vi, enter:
>>:%s/^V^M//g
>>:wq
>>
>>^V is control-V and ^M is control-M.
>
>Actually, since this is a Linux newsgroup and since vi under Linux is (almost)
>always vim, the right answer, assuming you're going to do it in vi(m), is:
>
>:e file|se ff=unix|x

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mount a compressed DOS filesystem
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:10:21 GMT

Is it possible, and if so how, to mount a compressed DOS filesystem?

Thanks.

Andrew

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: SoftOSS: Only some channels play
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:31:38 GMT

I wrote:

>> I've been toying with the SoftOSS support in the standard Linux kernel
>> (version 2.2.13 for the moment) and I'm having problems with it.
>> Specifically, only about half the channels appear to play. For instance, a
>> given MIDI file might use an acoustic piano, a flute, and a french horn,
>> but only the french horn part plays

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Steffen Jost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Rod!
>
> I had nearly the same problem with my Opti mad16 pro (opti 82C929 chipset),
> it played midi-files only on one channel, the left one I think, both under
> windows and under linux. I tried several things to get it to work, but
> nothing helped.
> Maybe the chipset is flaky there, and itīs something you have to live
> with....

You misunderstand. It's not a channel as in a speaker that's failing; it's
that some MIDI instruments play and some don't. I have no problem with
digital audio files (.wav, .au, etc.). The problems occur only with
SoftOSS, and only for about half the instruments in any given file (on
which speaker they play is irrelevant).

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: ext2 for NT/9x
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:40:24 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is anyone aware of a read/write driver for ext2 fs for any MS OS?
>
> I am toying with an emergency setup whereby I dump the entire server to
> a removable IDE disk. In case of a complete server failure, I can plug
> the removable drive into a workstation and at least have crippled
> access.
>
> To make this work, I need read/write access for ext2 for large
> partitions (right now, 14 GB - eventually, 40+ GB) from MS Win 9x if at
> all possible, MS Win NT is a second choice.

Yes, there is a Windows NT ext2fs driver that supports both read-only and
read/write modes, but the author cautions that the read/write support is
likely flakey. Check http://www.chat.ru/~ashedel/ext2fsnt/ for more
information. There's also a read/write utility
(http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/Explore2fs.htm) which is probably
a bit more reliable for write access.

It's unclear to me why you need Windows read/write access to ext2fs for
this scheme to work, though. There are Linux emergency boot floppies
floating around the net, and a HOWTO on creating your own. If you've got a
high-capacity removable media drive (like a Zip or LS-120 disk), you can
install a minimal standard Linux distribution on that and use it for
emergency recovery purposes.

From: "Max Normal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The Cart before the Horse.
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:39:38 -0000

This may sound a bit wacky, but is there such a thing as a Linux emulator
for Windows?
I want to get into Linux but I can't be bothered messing about with my hard
drive unless I know Linux is something that my tiny positronic brain can
cope with.
Any thoughts or comments?
--
Kindest Regards,
Max

You are reading USENET.
Where ill-informed people discuss irrelevant aspects of meaningless
topics.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recursive grep?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:15:53 GMT

Frank Miles writes:
> What grep are you using?  GNU's grep doesn't do that [recurse].

2.4 does.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Simon Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Cart before the Horse.
Date: 02 Mar 2000 15:57:44 +0100

"Max Normal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This may sound a bit wacky, but is there such a thing as a Linux emulator
> for Windows?
> I want to get into Linux but I can't be bothered messing about with my hard
> drive unless I know Linux is something that my tiny positronic brain can
> cope with.
> Any thoughts or comments?

I recently got a CD with a Linux-distribution ready-to-run from the CD
with a French Linux magazine. In this way, you'll not be bothered with
your harddisk at all:-) You won't be able to do everything there is to
do with this system, but you'll get the generel feeling for the bits
of the system and the applications included in the distro. It's
available for download at
        http://www.demolinux.org/

HTH

Simon

--
      Simon Kristensen; Residence Universitaire Les Flamboyants;
            Studio no. 268; 8, rue Jean-Henri Schnitzler;

------------------------------

From: Paul Hughett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames?
Date: 2 Mar 2000 14:58:31 GMT

Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm trying to archive files from one hard disk to another.  Here's the
: command:

: #tar cf - -C /data `find  /data/Cardinal/Projects -mtime -7 -type f |
: cut -d/ -f3-7 | sort | uniq | sed s/^/\"/ | sed s/$/\"/ ` | tar xf - -C
: /archive

: The whole idea is to copy all projects whose files have been modified in
: the last 7 days.  The find command returns what I would think is a
: correct list:

[ Futher gory details omitted... ]

: I can't help but think I am missing something obvious.

Yep.  Gnu tar, which is what you almost certainly have on your Linux
box, has an option "-N date" which tells tar to ignore files older
than the given date.

To explain why your script doesn't work, observe that double quote (")
is a quoting character for the *shell*; tar need not use it the same
way and, from your account, doesn't.  If you didn't have the -N
option, I would suggest trying your trick with no quotes at all, or
using backslash to quote the spaces only.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hughett

------------------------------

From: Nathan Cuka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:59:12 -0600

Yan Seiner wrote:

> I'm trying to archive files from one hard disk to another.  Here's the
> command:
> [snip]
>
> I would think that because the file names are enclosed in '"' tar would
> treat the spaces as belonging to the file name.  No such luck; tar
> treats the '"' as part of the file name and insists on trying to find
> fragmentary files.  The problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get
> tar to recognize spaces in file names.

I'm not a huge sed person, but can you try escaping the spaces with a
backslash?
Or perhaps use single ticks instead of quotes?

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat - Suse
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:04:01 -0800

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Norbert Zawodsky wrote:

> I know about that crypto-law-stuff and that's the reason why I thought that
> *maybe* SUSE has a crypto-server (because its the only distribution that
> comes from outside U.S. AFAIK).

and I thought Linus was from Finland. Don't think Stormlinux, Corel,
Debian are from the US either. Or only partly - it's an international
endeavour after all and I'm glad it is.
                                               Gerald

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: latest gnome dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:55:54 GMT

I'm trying to upgrade to gnome 1.0.55 but I can't install gnome-core it
 complains this way :
 rpm -U ~frankie/rpms/gnome-core-1.0.55-9.i386.rpm
 error: failed dependencies:
 windowmanager is needed by gnome-core-1.0.55-9

I'm trying to find this package : windowmanager unsuccessfully.
I did found enlightment, I have it installed, and I'm currently
using sawmill as window manager. But where  do I find `windowmanager'
the package ?

 thank you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Vrenios)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: top (or other) for SMP?
Date: 2 Mar 2000 15:02:49 GMT

On Solaris it's the mpstat command. I've never had a reason to
look under liiHnux for it:

   > mpstat 1

gets you statistics of usage for each of the processors in 1-second
intervals.

--
Alex Vrenios
Ph.D. Student

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: staroffice
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:29:27 -0600

Matt Starnes wrote:

> So the learning curve would be much shorter.  You also cut down on
> training expenses.

Especially since the user interface is common between the Windows and
Linux versions of Staroffice.

This makes it easier to switch operating systems later on. The users
just see the application, and it has not changed for them, leading to
less confusion and fewer calls to the helpdesk.

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: system requirements?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:40:42 -0800

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:

> > > Because it's not.
> > why don't you give us output from top on your machine to judge for
> > ourselves.
> That would certainly not help !

please, why don't you let everyone decide for him/herself what helps them.
You claim it's not a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
Thanks,
           Gerald

--
Gerald Willmann           Department of Economics
96F Escondido Vlg.        Stanford University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:00:26 -0500
From: Wallace Barnes III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with portmap on Redhat 5.2

Hello All,

    I ran into a problem trying to run the portmap daemon that comes
with the RedHat 5.2 distribution. It seems that the child process that
is forked off aborts after sending the following message to syslog:

    "portmap[3018]: run_svc returned unexpectedly"

I checked the code and svc_run is a C extern function which is supposed
to never return. Does anyone no how to fix this apparent bug ? Please
Email me with your response as well. Thanks in advance.

-Wally

------------------------------

From: David Faure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:01:30 +0000

Gerald Willmann wrote:

> > > why don't you give us output from top on your machine to judge for
> > > ourselves.
> > That would certainly not help !
>
> please, why don't you let everyone decide for him/herself what helps them.
!!! I explained below why !
Because top and ps don't show the appropriate values, because
I'm not an end user, and because I'm not running 1.1.2 ! See below.

BTW I agree that _kfm_ used a web browser is a memory hog.
It doesn't free up anything or almost, and allocates all images
in X's process memory. If you care about memory, just don't use kfm
as a web browser. All the rest of KDE is fine.

> You claim it's not a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
You claim it is a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
And please read my posts.

I wonder why I took the pain to explain all this if you didn't even read
it: