Linux-Misc Digest #746, Volume #18               Sun, 24 Jan 99 10:13:15 EST

Contents:
  Re: PostgreSQL - query attribute types? (David M. Cook)
  Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters (Charles H. Chapman)
  Re: how to start programming in Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Notebook buy without Windooze? (Erik Olson)
  Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled (Gilles Pelletier)
  Re: Rh 5.2 and SB AWE 32 PnP freezing ("Ritchie")
  Re: Beware buying from House of Computers (Harry McGregor)
  Re: was 'using xanim from netscape'; is 'compiling xanim' ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: problem with linux partition (Gary Momarison)
  making image of cds? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Netscape Page Up and Down (Michael Doherty)
  Re: making image of cds? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Linux defrag? (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Does recompiling kernel looses patches applied? (Jim Hill)
  Compilation of sources from CVS (Michael Chajkowski)
  Hal91/muLinux {floppy linux} boot problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SAMBA Configuration (David Goldstein)
  Re: Compiling Problems (NF Stevens)
  Modem Compatibility Questions (James Barcelona)
  Re: Abnormal characters appended in Netscape input field (MikeP)
  Re: LILO + FAT 32 + SCSI (David Magda)
  Linux Server Console? (Kyle Cordes)
  Re: Re: Linux defrag? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Using Internal PCI Modem (Robert Heller)
  Re: Notebook buy without Windooze? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Compilation of sources from CVS (Michael Chajkowski)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.databases
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - query attribute types?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:24:45 GMT

On 23 Jan 1999 21:36:44 GMT, Richard Kilgore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Does anyone know how to query PostgreSQL (preferably in perl) for
>the _types_ of the columns (i.e., attributes) in a given table

The FAQ says that that info is tucked away in

pgsql/src/tutorial/syscat.source

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles H. Chapman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters
Date: 23 Jan 1999 19:12:05 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:37:51 -0600, Paul Doherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Charles H. Chapman wrote:
>>
>> say that cars ARE safe places to seek protection from lightning during
>> a thunderstorm.  Protection against floods or a tornado are another
>> story though.
>
>Not sure what you're saying here... cars *are* the safest place to be in
>a lightning storm.  What point were you making?

*sigh*  Another poster editted out the post to which I was referring, where
the original poster said his child's teacher was stupid because she said cars
offered protection from lightning.  But this whole discussion is not
relavent to these newsgroups and should not be continued.

Chuck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to start programming in Linux
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:06:05 GMT

In article <01be462f$d4f81d30$cc34dea1@cbcgren023103>,
  "Ima Maroon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. Get "C++ in 21 Days" or one of those type books.

One tip: You can read "C++ in 21 days" for free in mcp's "personal bookshelf".
Check it out at www.mcp.com :-)

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Notebook buy without Windooze?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 23 Jan 1999 22:09:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matthias Kattanek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But where does this leave the notebook?
> Does somebody know place where to buy notbooks without windooze?

Ya, and when the notebook manufacturers are at it I want three mouse
buttons on my notebook!  None of that emulated nonsense.

And dump those brainless win-modems too.

Actually, I think if a company like Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, ...  made an
ultra light that catered to the Linux market they could make out like
bandits.  Invest a little money back into the Linux development of USB or
Firewire or power management or ... and it would be sweet.

erik olson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Pelletier)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:59:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] écrivait/wrote:

>Here's an incredible story of how one Linux user got their money
>back for the Windows pre-installed on the laptop they bought.
>
>    http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html
>
>It is based on the premise that the Microsoft Software License Agreement
>allows you to return the software if you do not agree to its terms.
>I have nothing to do with this, except I was told about the above
>Web page and I think all Linux users should do the same.  Good luck.

Better yet, don't buy hardware from a company that force-feeds you Windows.
You'll get down to a short list of serious companies. Of course, for a
laptop, this list must be rather short.

Gilles Pelletier
--
Visitez «La Masse Critique». Rencontrez Néfertiti, Einstein, Tocqueville, etc.
http://users.mmic.net/gillesp

------------------------------

From: "Ritchie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Rh 5.2 and SB AWE 32 PnP freezing
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:11:58 -0700

Well, I can help you a bit.  I had the same problem of the sfxload not being
found, I looked and it was there, but the boot sequence looks for it in /bin
and on my system, I found it in /usr/bin.  Maybe yours is the same.  I
copied it from /usr/bin to /bin and rebooted, it found the file and didn't
give me the device busy error for awe_wave.o.  I can play .au files, but no
luck playing .midi files yet.  If you succeed, let me know what you did.

Al Kooz wrote in message <78aa8j$a25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi, I have a problem,
>I installed RH 5.2 on my system (for the 100th time now) and I've been
>trying to get my SB AWE 32 PnP to work... I used sndconfig, and it seemed
>detect it right. It played the sample and closed with no error message.
Then

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.terminals,comp.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.nt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Re: Beware buying from House of Computers
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:31:30 GMT

I have dealt with house of computer before (though no RMAs).  I love
their products (IBM hds are great, so are DigiView monitors).  Most
mail order places I have dealt with charge for s/h to them on RMAs so
do manufactuers (i.e. Iomega (sucks), CTX, etc).  $50 for a 17" is
rather close, sending a CTX 17" back to CTX cost me $35 twice, and
that was normal parcel post, book mail (they sent it back without it
being fully fixed!!!).

                        Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: was 'using xanim from netscape'; is 'compiling xanim'
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:37:30 +0000

> > Trying to use xanim to view .mov files.
> > I get the following error message:
> > Vido Codec: Radius Cinepak not yher supported (E18)
> > No support for this Codec please read the file
> > "cinepak.readme"
> > Notice video is present but not yet supported.

now, how the F**K do i compile xanim on Linux? there's even a page about it,
but i get:

In file included from xa_audio.c:224:
xa_audio.h:42: stropts.h: No such file or directory
xa_audio.h:46: sun/audioio.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [xa_audio.o] Error 1

and those files don't exist anywhere. besides, i removed the XA_SPARC_AUDIO
lines
from the Imakefile so it shouldn't bail out on that line 42  which is inside an
#ifdef XA_SPARC_AUDIO

i'm getting nowhere and i've wasted hours on this... (and i may have been
dulled by it)

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: problem with linux partition
Date: 23 Jan 1999 11:07:12 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> hey, i recently had problems with my hard drive due to a screwy motherboard.
> however, i did not know this at the time, and stupidly rewrote my partition
> table.        DOS had been partition 1, Linux #2, and Linux swap #3.
> unfortunately, i don't remember which cylinder Linux started on.  if i
> rewrite the partition table with Linux starting on an earlier cylinder than
> it *really* does, will i be able to access any of the files on the Linux
> partition?  i realize there'll be some junk from the DOS one at the beginning
> of it, but i'm hoping to recover the filesystem if possible.

There's some recovery resources listed in

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/filesystems.html#corruption

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: making image of cds?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:14:15 GMT

Hi, if i wanted to make an image of a cd would the following work?

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/cdimage.img bs=size_in_bytes

i haven't tried it yet, i thought i would ask first.

thank you,

                     -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho
Student Extraordinare & UN*X Guru Wannbe

From: Michael Doherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape Page Up and Down
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:06:22 -0500

I'm a happy linux camper of 2 months. One thing that's helped in the
transition from windoze is the familiarity of netscape.

However, the one thing I miss is using the page down, up, home and
end keys to page through news groups. Right now, I'm using alt-down
or up to move one message at a time. Is there another key combination
that moves a whole page?

TIA

Michael Doherty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: making image of cds?
Date: 23 Jan 1999 20:11:20 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <78d720$d1t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Hi, if i wanted to make an image of a cd would the following work?
>
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=/cdimage.img bs=size_in_bytes
>
> i haven't tried it yet, i thought i would ask first.

Assuming that /dev/hdc is your CD-ROM drive, then yes, this will work.  In
fact, it's possible to omit the bs argument; dd will figure this out on
its own, at least when I've done this.  Note also that your command will
put the CD image in the root directory.  You may or may not want that.
Omit the "/" after "of=" if you want it created in the current directory.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Linux defrag?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:14:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jerry Lynn Kreps wrote:
>Markus Redeker wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dirk Ruediger) writes:
>>
>> >Why do you want to defrag your linux partition? I think, it makes only
>> >sense, if you're having an FATish filesystem. Ext2 is "selfdefragmenting"
... oh, really ?
>> How does it do that?
... some question ...

>Use the Source, Markus
... or see http://www.linuxhq.com and then the LDP site. I do not know
the link out of my head, but from there you should be able to find the
documentation for the ext2fs, how it works and all that. Compared to
reading and understanding the source this might spare you about 283,42
years of free time.

BTW, it is *not* selfdefragmenting, it just keeps fragmentation low
by not using cluster after cluster (the one thing defrag is nice for,
it shows you the current layout).

In addition, although I've got the German version only, some kind soul
once got a bit deeper into it, explaining why there is no gain to
expect anyway. In comes down to the Unix way to read to / write from
disks is much to sophisticated to allow the amount of fragmentation you
will encounter on a typical system to get into their way.

You will probably spend more time waiting for defrag to finish than
the win is worth it.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Hill)
Subject: Re: Does recompiling kernel looses patches applied?
Date: 23 Jan 1999 20:12:05 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jesus M. Salvo Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Assume I have the latest kernel yesterday, then patches were announced
>today and I applied them (binaries only).
>
>Then I decided to recompile kernel to remove unwanted drivers, etc.
>
>Will I lose the patches applied so that I have to reapply the patches?

Sure.  I'm pretty sure that's moot, though...can one even _get_ binary
Linux patches?

Jim
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/

                  "Visualize world peace...good.
                Now wake up and smell the coffee."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Chajkowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Compilation of sources from CVS
Date: 23 Jan 1999 20:19:45 GMT

Ok, now that I have access to CVS, I am having problems compiling the code.
When I run autoconf, it appears to run without any errors.  The problem comes
when I execute the ./configure file generated

The following error occurs:

/configure: syntax error near unexpected token 'AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
/configure: ./configure: line 522: 'AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

How do I get the code to compile?

If this is answered in some FAQ somewhere, please forgive the question and
point me to it.

Thank you,
Michael S. Chajkowski

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hal91/muLinux {floppy linux} boot problem
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:28:15 GMT

Hello.

Getting this error message when booting Hal91 or muLinux from single floppy:

hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStausError}
hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}

Had no problems booting Hal91 on single floppy disk to my 486 laptop the
first 10-15 times using it.  Now however, am getting the above error every
time.  Sometimes it will correct itself.  Most of the time the boot continues
to hang.

Thank-you
Efly

From: David Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA Configuration
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:02:54 -0700

LAMY wrote:

> Hello People
>
> Is there any little program for easily configurating the smb.conf file ?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> LAMY
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Try Webmin.  You can find it at www.webmin.com.  It is a really great
admin tool that you can use to configure just about everything that you
can think of. It is a web-based toolkit written in Per

David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Compiling Problems
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:59:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried) wrote:

>I am using Red Hat Version 5.1  and have just attempted to recompile my
>kernel so that I can use the my initio 9100a card which is hooked up to
>my syjet.
>
>I went through the basics by typing make mrproper before I began
>to compile.
>
>To compile I selected the make config option and successfully
>got through the process without any errors.
>
>After this step I typed make dep and I got the following error message:
>

>gcc - I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include -o2 -fomit-frane-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
>scripts/mkdep.c
>

>scripts/mkdep.c:1           stdio.h                    No such file or directory

You need to make soft links from your normal  include directory into
wherever you installed the kernel source. Search the documentation
for "ln -s".

HTH
Norman

------------------------------

From: James Barcelona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Compatibility Questions
Date: 23 Jan 1999 19:47:33 GMT

System: Packard Bell C110 running RH Linux 5.2

Question: Is there anyone out there who has installed Linux on this
machine, and is using a modem with it? If so, what brand name and
model of modem are you using?

--
Con quidado.

------------------------------

From: MikeP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abnormal characters appended in Netscape input field
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:24:39 -0500

John Thompson wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >I have experienced sometimes some extra abnormal characters may appended
> >to the text typed in the url or in the form fields.
> >Is there any setting we missed to do? The same version of netscape for
> >window never has this error. This happened in version 4.5, 4.07 and 4.05
> >of netscape.
>
> I see this regularly with NS v4.05 on one machine here.  I've
> never seen it on my other machine using NS v4.04
>
> I don't have a fix for you, sorry...
>
> -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

This happened to me with the Netscape Communicator 4.05 RPM that came
with my RH 5.1 CD. I uninstalled it, and downloaded the .tar.gz file
from Netscape's site (v4.08, glibc), and I no longer had the problem.

--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] Happy Linux user since 1997 [-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Magda)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat,nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: LILO + FAT 32 + SCSI
Date: 23 Jan 1999 21:41:40 GMT

"Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]
>I have tried to install Linux on the MBR of the SCSI disk, but
>the linux conf from RedHat 5.2  but it reported errors when trying to
>access the MBR of the SCSI disk. (i have set the boot partition to /dev/sda)

>Then when i rebooted LILO started but stopped at LI

>so my question is: Can LILO access FAT 32 drives ?
>And how do I set up this. Install LILO on the MBR of my boot disk
>(the SCSI disk in this case) and start Linux (/dev/hda2) and Win 98
>(/dev/sda1)

Next time you might want to post your /etc/lilo.conf. Is the word
"linear" in your lilo.conf? If not add it in, run lilo, and try again.
man lilo for an exact explanation of what is does.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kyle Cordes)
Subject: Linux Server Console?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:01:16 GMT

A server is sitting somewhere, perhaps colocated.  By default, it sits at a
login screen, so someone with physical access can't do anything to it at all
unless they have root.  Well, you don't want to give out root or (worse) write
the password a sticker on the server (someone's suggestion...).  This
would be nice:

A "server console" which runs automatically on boot.  It displays lots of
useful info, on a text mode screen that would take insignicant processor time
to update:

* IP address, etc.

* Server name

* Networking stats (are interfaces up?  How much data are they moving?)

* disk free space, RAM info

* who is logged in?

* The output of the "top" program

* any major errors going on?  Hard drives dead?

* etc.

It allows anyone with physical access to the machine to do the following:

* Shut it down.  They can press the switch on the front panel anyway...
preventing them from requesting an orderly shutdown is stupid.

* PING various servers to see if network connectivity is present

* other basic admin operations that might be needed by the person standing
there.

Does anything like this exist?  Or is this an "if you want it, do it
yourself!" situation?

[* [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | For Delphi  |  BDE Alternatives Guide  *]
[* http://www.kylecordes.com | developers: | MIDAS Alternatives Guide *]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Re: Linux defrag?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heller)
Date: 23 Jan 1999 14:53:31 -0500

  "Markus Redeker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 23 Jan 1999 09:07:03 +0100, wrote :

"R> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dirk Ruediger) writes:
"R>
"R> >Why do you want to defrag your linux partition? I think, it makes only
"R> >sense, if you're having an FATish filesystem. Ext2 is "selfdefragmenting"
"R>
"R> How does it do that?

UNIX file system code use proper, intelligent disk space allocation and
management methods.  *ONLY* the silly (and totally stupid) FAT file
system develops serious fragmentation.  Microsoft simply has failed to
properly design their file system structure to avoid fragmentation.
There is no real mystery here.  UNIX and most other operating systems
have long ago solved the "disk fragmentation problem" (generally
*before* MS-DOS was "invented").  All of this is in the readily
available literature.  Bill Gates and Microsoft simply did not bother
to do *any* research when they invented the FAT.  Note: the FAT file
system is fine for 360K floppies -- something like Ext2 would be
overkill and generally wasteful for a small floppy -- even Linux root
floppies (eg early Slackware distributions) did not use Ext2 on these
floppies, but used Minix.  When hard drives were first introduced for
use with PCs, Microsoft decided to use the same floppy-based file
system rather than bother to design a new file system for the hard
drive.  This was plain stupid. There is no other word for it. Microsoft
simply would rather use an out-of-date system simply because it is
their own system and not somebody else's and they were just plain lazy
or too stupid to bother to design a *proper* file system.

"R>
"R> >and you can see it, when you (or automaticly at bootup) look at the output
"R> >of fsck. It's only 1..2% defragmented.
"R>
"R>
"R> Markus
"R>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Using Internal PCI Modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heller)
Date: 23 Jan 1999 15:55:52 -0500

  "Robin Aly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:00:16 -0000, wrote :

"A> Hello,
"A>
"A> I'm SuSE 6.0. I bought a new Aztech 56K Modem (PCI, Internal)
"A> I tried setserial with the irq of the pci-slot, but didn't work. Can anybody
"A> help me ?

Take the internal modem back and get an external USR 56K sportser modem.
The Aztech 56K Modem (PCI, Internal) is a useless winmodem.

--
                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heller)
Date: 23 Jan 1999 14:53:30 -0500

  In a message on Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:47:32 -0800, wrote :

MK> I am on the market for a new notebook. Since I am already running Linux
MK> for 4-5 years
MK> sucessfully on notebooks, sure I plan to use it on the new one too.
MK>
MK> Looking around, trying to get a good deal, I only seem to find notebooks
MK> with
MK> Windooze pre-installed. This is how most of the shops stock computers
MK> today.
MK> I called several vendors today and it is always the same story.
MK>
MK> I don't care what is in installed on it. I'll wipe it anyway to install
MK> Linux.
MK> What I do not appreciate is that I have to pay for something I am not
MK> going to use at all.
MK> Why do I have put money in Microsofts pocket? So they can finance
MK> another FUD campaign?
MK>
MK> On workstations and servers I found my way around, by building the
MK> hardware myself.
MK> Exciting to see that companies like IBM,Dell, Compaq going to sell (and
MK> support) boxes
MK> with Linux.
MK>
MK> But where does this leave the notebook?
MK> Does somebody know place where to buy notbooks without windooze?

It is basically not generally possible to buy a notebook / laptop *new*
without Mess-Windows pre-loaded.  You could visit the Linux Doc. Project
Page (http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/) and select the commercial products /
hardware page and find a vendor to sell you a laptop with Linux
pre-loaded.

I recently bought a laptop.  What *I* did was buy a used (ex-rental)
50mhz '486 (AST 910N) from a local PC repair / sales / rental firm.
The machine as originally configured only had 8meg of RAM and a small
hard drive.  I had them upgrade the RAM to 32-meg and upgrade the hard
drive to a new 500meg on.  I told them I didn't want MS-Windows, and
they delivered a system that had an eventually empty hard drive -- they
had done a format /s C: from a Win95 boot floppy -- the drive was
bootable, but only had COMMAND.COM on it on a single FAT16 partition.  I
bought a 3Com Ethernet card and installed Linux on this system (first a
minimal Slack 3.4 (A+N sets) from floppies, then moved over a sub-set
of the RH 4.1 RPM set and then installed RH 4.1 "from the local disk
(/home), clobbering the / and /usr partitions created when I installed
Slackware 3.4.

It is likely however, that the best deal for a *new* laptop will be to
buy a machine from Dell or Gateway or some such and pay for and throw
away MS-Windows -- you won't get a "blank disk" system or if you do
manage to talk the sales idiot into a "blank disk" system you won't get a
price break either.  Maybe you can find some poor soul to buy the
MS-Windows CDs and what not from you. I'm not sure if this is truly legal
however, much less whether it is a "nice" thing to do to the poor sap
in question.

--
                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Chajkowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Compilation of sources from CVS
Date: 23 Jan 1999 22:57:31 GMT

One more thing that I forgot to mention . . . I have autoconf 1.12, is there a
newer version?

:>