From: Josef Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ProLinea doesn't see EtherExpress NIC
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:20:25 GMT

Hi David :-)

Well you did not tell us what Linux you want to use....

You could also use a floppy disk ( about 10 disks) Linux to install a
base Linux on your box and then after that hook up to the other box.

Or the Installation (setup) tool of your Linux distribution is able to
install from a ftp server ( in your case the second machine).
I guess you would need a proper driver for your Linux to be loaded and
then it should work. ( I installed SuSE 6.2 via ftp and a NIC)
I am not sure if this will work ( I am simply not an expert....) but as
long as your second machine has a IP address it just might...

Maybe you need to get a installation disc for your Linux to get the
whole thing set up..... As long as Linux recognizes the Nic it might
work....

hth ( at least a little bit:-))

--
Josef  Oswald -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
registered-linux-user # 13.818 at http:// counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to grep for date?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:42:55 GMT

Hi, thanks, but that doesn't do it.  Putting quotes around $todaysdate
appears to search for that as a literal string.

I changed my script a little... This one should do better in the first
10 days of the month, when my log file has two spaces between the
month and the date:

===========begin===============
todaysdate="'$(date +'%b %e')'"
echo "Today's date is:" $todaysdate
echo "Here is a grep with the date typed directly:"
grep 'Sep 12' /var/log/messages
echo "Here is a grep with the date as a shell variable:"
grep $todaysdate /var/log/messages
=============end==============

Somebody try this script for me...  The second line demonstrates that
$todaysdate contains 'Sep 12' INCLUDING the single quotes.  The fourth
line demonstrates that 'Sep 12' including the single quotes, works
right.  The last line demonstrates the same error message:

grep: 12': No such file or directory

I still don't get it.  Thanks anyway!  Anybody else?

------------------------------

From: MCV Fenderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: hard drive partition table messed up!
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:41:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup Black Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: It sounds like your partition tables are screwed, read on. . .

: I had a similar thing happen to a 6.4GB WD drive in a NT box at work while
: installing an Iomega Zip drive not to long ago. After attempting to
: re-partition it with disk-administrator and format it in another NT box after
: attempting to re-install NT on the original machine with no luck, and then
: attempt to install NT on it twice only to have it not boot, twice, again, I
: gave up, brought it home, stuck it in my Linux box, ran fdisk on it, printed
: the  partition table, and lo-and-behold, the three partitions ended in the
: middle  of cylinders (supposed to end at the end of a cylinder) and were
: crossed  (over lapped) to boot. In other words, the partition tables were
: fucked, and nothing I did with NT warned me about it, it just proceeded to
: waste my time. I also tried fdisk from a DOS 6.22 system floppy at work.

This sounds a bit like the problem I'm currently having. I'm not much
of a hero when it comes to installing, partitioning, formatting and
facts about different OSes and distributions, and similar things.
I'm just a user, basically, so don't shout if I don't know some
very simple basics.

I recently bought a new 20GB HD to replace my old 3.2GB one. My small
box can only hold one HD, so I had lots of trouble getting it in and
installing something on it, but finally succeeded. I started with
installing Windows 2000, as the Linuxes I had were really old, and
I wanted to start with a clean sheet and Mandrake 7.1. Turns out
W2k is far from compatible with W98/95 games, and since I only really
need Windows to play games (I prefer Unixen for more serious work),
I replaced it with W98. Lots of trouble getting my system purged of
everything related to NT.

Anyway, when I finally lay my hands on Mandrake 7.1, and started to
install, Mandrake said my partition table was corrupt, and assumed
it was empty. Since I didn't want to erase W98, I quit the installation
process (looks pretty awesome, btw). W98 couldn't detect any fault
with the partition table, dos fdisk said everything was fine, as
did scandisk and whatever else I could find (not much, though).

Now I wanted to ask you guys if anybody knew what could be going
on here, but now I'm getting the impression that NT (and W2k) has
the tendency to do stupid things with the partition table and W98
has no problems with that.

Is there any easy way to fix this? I don't have Linux installed, so
I don't have linux's fdisk, and I thought I couldn't use old bootdisks
for totally different computers (like the one for my old 486).

Do I have to repartition everything with Mandrakes setup program,
or is it possible to rescue my W98 stuff? It's not that much of
a problem if anything gets lost, but I've come to really hate
installing any kind of MS OS, after my earlier troubles with W2k
and W98.

mcv.                                                    <><

------------------------------

From: John Wingate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: email package to replace Eudora?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:42:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I know that there are a number of email
> clients under Linux, but are there any that can
> import my Eudora mailboxes and address book?

Eudora mailboxes are in standard mbox format.  You should have no trouble
reading them with any Linux MUA.  (As with other text files, remember to
convert to unix-style line endings.)

I don't know if address books are as easy to import.

--
John Wingate                   We pay people for the goods they produce,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           but do not make them pay for the bads.

------------------------------

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Unresolved Symbols (RH 6.2 on AMD T-bird on Abit KA-7 board)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:52:05 GMT

it means u did not compile something into you're kernel.. an option(s) that
u maybe have overlooked.

i don't know what it is off the top of my head.

-Robert

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows or Linux for games?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:18:21 -0400

LumesITSupport wrote:

> The best place for games is kindergarden ;-)

No, the best place for Linux games is the Linux Game Tome at:

        http://www.happypenguin.org/

And be sure to check out Loki's site:

        http://www.lokigames.com

I think there are some fine games available for Linux. Yes, there are
many more available for Windows, but that isn't news, given M$ desktop
market share. But check what's here now for Linux, you might be
pleasantly surprised.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: attempt to access beyond end of device (last 2 blocks)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:58:23 GMT

I'm running 2.2.16 (same thing with 2.2.17), with ATAPI CDROM running
the SCSI emulation.    I've copied the image using readcd, then mounted
it with /dev/loop, same thing happens.  When it gets near the end of
the device, I get this message.

attempt to access beyond end of device
07:00: rw=0, want=614402, limit=614400
dev 07:00 blksize=2048 blocknr=307200 sector=1228800 size=2048 count=1

Any suggestions?   (Please e-mail a reply)

--
http://www.nethole.com
With slashcode

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:12:39 -0500

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, George quoth:

G> I'm trying to learn a little about the Bash shell, by writing a script
G> that will check my system log for events that happened today.
G>
G> If I use the following line in a script, I get the desired output
G> (assuming the date is Sep 12):
G>
G>   grep 'Sep 12' /var/log/messages

     grep Sep 12 /var/log/messages # works fine

G> I discovered the "set" builtin, and figured out how to use it to
G> create a variable that is today's date:
G>
G>   set $(date) ; todaysdate="'$2 $3'" ; echo $todaysdate

     set $(date) ; todaysdate="$2 $3" ; echo $todaysdate

G> The above command produces the output I'd expect, 'Sep 12', including
G> the single quotes.  But when I put it into grep, I don't get the
G> results I expect:
G>
G>   set $(date) ; todaysdate="'$2 $3'" ;  \
G>     grep $todaysdate /var/log/messages

     set $(date) ; todaysdate="$2 $3" ;  \
        grep $todaysdate /var/log/messages

G> I get this error message instead:
G>
G>   grep: 12' No such file or directory

    I get no error. :-)

[ snip ]

anm
--
BEGIN { $\ = $/; $$_ = $_ for qw~ just another perl hacker ~ }
my $J = sub { return \$just }; my $A = sub { return \$another };

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:16:52 GMT

...and George used the keyboard:
>Hi, thanks, but that doesn't do it.  Putting quotes around $todaysdate
>appears to search for that as a literal string.

You must take a note of one thing: putting single quotes ('') around a
variable do not expand it (i.e. grep looks for a string $todaysdate).
Putting double quotes ("") around a variable DOES expand it, and grep
looks for a string that's contained IN $todaysdate (in your case,
"Sep 12").

>I changed my script a little... This one should do better in the first
>10 days of the month, when my log file has two spaces between the
>month and the date:

If you have problems with several spaces, you could use the following
regular expression (see "man 7 regex", this is really where the true
power of grep, sed and similar utilities shows):

    grep "`date '+%b\ *%d'`" /var/log/messages

The backquotes (``) around date are actually quite the same as $() you
used. The only difference now is that everything is expanded in one
single line (using backquotes inside double quotes - there's really no
reason why this shouldn't work the way you did it), and that grep
doesn't care how many spaces there are in between month and day of
month any more. This is achieved by escaping the space using backslash
and appending the asterisk to it - basically, what it means to grep is
"spaces, zero or more of them". What also I recommend to you is that
you use the -i option to grep. It makes it ignore the case of the
sought pattern - as the case is, I noticed that "date" produces "sep"
on my machine instead of "Sep", probably because of the locale in
effect (sl_SI), while the syslog daemon uses the en_GB locale to
report dates - I repeat, on _my_ machine, at the very least.

    Grega Bremec
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://www.gbsoft.org/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:28:29 GMT

...and Andrew N. McGuire  used the keyboard:

>     grep Sep 12 /var/log/messages # works fine

No it doesn't. It looks for string "Sep" in files "12" and
"/var/log/messages". As the case is, things scrolled down so fast (or
you used a pager that silently ignores stderr, or you simply
overlooked it), that you didn't see grep complaining about the missing
"12" file.

>G>   set $(date) ; todaysdate="'$2 $3'" ; echo $todaysdate
>
>     set $(date) ; todaysdate="$2 $3" ; echo $todaysdate

Actually, both is correct. The above just puts an extra pair of single
quotes around the resulting string.

>    I get no error. :-)

I bet you do, you just didn't see it. Check again with

    grep Sep 12 /var/log/messages 2>&1 | less

and see the very first line.

    Grega Bremec
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://www.gbsoft.org/

------------------------------

From: Jan Klaussner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:32:15 +0200

Hello!

Michael Hohensee wrote:
> (which always resulted in a kernel panic).  The only thing I changed in
> the default kernel configuration was the Processor Type & Features menu
> via 'make xconfig'.  The machine now boots successfully, but is unable
Does this mean you only typed 'make xconfig', changed the cpu and then
recompiled the kernel? Well, that is not enough, because the default
configuration _is not_ the configuration shipped with the RH linux. If
you want a usable kernel you must go through all points of the
configuration and adjust them to your system. If you also use modules,
make sure to do the 'make modules_install' after you compiled them.
btw, these 'unresolved symbols' also occur if you did not compile for
example autofs as module and the file is still in the modules
directory...

I hope I could help you

cu Jan

------------------------------

From: JDoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LILO..I forgot how to...
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:34:06 GMT

try using "linear" in the lilo.conf

Some hard drives have geometry issues which can be resolved using
linear.  The "LI" usually indicates a geometry problem.

------------------------------

From: George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:45:11 GMT

This is the one that works!  Thank you sir...

    grep "`date '+%b\ *%d'`" /var/log/messages

------------------------------

From: Dan Glover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Command executed automatically when I dial up? How?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:35:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, AKA Uncle Bob
<"Bob Billing> wrote:
>Phillip Deackes wrote:

>> I tried putting a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d but this did not seem to be
>> run when I connected.

>The commonest reason for this not working is forgetting to set the x bit
>in the permissions of the script.

Or forgetting that the script runs with a very limited environment - use
full path to commands for best chance of success.  Output normally goes
to /dev/null so if it doesn't work it probably won't give many clues
either...

`man pppd` and look in the SCRIPTS section.

Dan

--
Dan Glover ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester)
Subject: Re: Command error
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:51:39 GMT

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:22:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I downloaded this FTP program.  I opened up the install text file to
>find out how to install.  It told me to cd into the dir of the Install
>executable and execute it with the ./Install command

Are you sure that the program is named "Install", and not "install"? These
are *TWO DIFFERENT NAMES* as Linux is case sensitive. Make sure you're
using the right one.

--
-- Fester

   We like Roy.
======================================

------------------------------

From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wish for a writable ISO-9660 compatible filsystem
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:56:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Johan Kullstam wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> what about tar?  can you make a big tar file and then burn it straight
>> off to the cd-writer?  list with tar tvf /dev/cdrom and extract using
>> tar xvf /dev/cdrom just like when using a tape.  maybe a cpio archive
>> would be better?

Why? Ext2 is _slow_ on a cdrom, but this would be even slower. Tar
reads the archive sequentially to find a file, doesn't it? Now you've
also lost the ability to look at the cd and just find the file you
want, assuming you just want a few files. The only advantage I can see
would be the compression using tar -czf ...

        Jerry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hoffmann)
Subject: Re: wvdial problem
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:05:11 GMT

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:37:43 GMT, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
>On 12 Sep 2000 04:36:44 GMT, Hypnotist wrote:
>->i can't use <wvdial> when logging in as a non-root user.
>->the non-root user does have write access to pap-secrets and chap-secrets,
>->as well as the directory thise files reside.
>->i got the error message "can't open ttyS1 (the modem port), device is busy".
>->what gives?
>->
>
>Run wvdial the first time as "root".  I believe that will
>set up the correct pap/cap-secrets files.  After that just
>ignore any warnings/errors that wvdial prints out when run
>as a normal user.  Use "chmod", as root, and "w" permissions
>to /dev/ttyS1.

You will also need to make sure the normal user has read access to the
/usr/bin/wvdialconf file. Making this change was the last change for me
to get wvdial access as a normal user when everything was a-ok as root.