Linux-Misc Digest #363, Volume #19                Mon, 8 Mar 99 03:13:18 EST

Contents:
  egcs 1.0.2-8 and exceptions - broken in this version? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux certification (Gary Momarison)
  Re: win95 & linux (lilo) boot problems (Wilhelm Wienemann)
  Re: Slirp compile error: Linux 2.0.33 (Angus March)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (Bev)
  Re: Redhat 5.2 is a waste of time.....Win98 for 2000. ('Wulff)
  Re: More bad news for NT (pcbrown)
  Re: GTK/Xwindows No such file (NF Stevens)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Does Linux support Memory Mapped Files? (NF Stevens)
  Can Win'98 files be seen in Linux? (Kishore)
  Re: Help: Newbie doesn't know where to start with GNOME! (brian moore)
  Re: kermit messages (Villy Kruse)
  Re: best offline newsreader?  IGNORE THIS TROLL!! ("Denton")
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (brian moore)
  Integrated intranet platform (Martin Farrent)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (brian moore)
  Re: CDROM that requires Win98? (Michael Proto)
  No-Win Modem Situation (Hugh Johnson)
  Visual Studio and SAMBA and error message. ("Ralph Glebe")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: egcs 1.0.2-8 and exceptions - broken in this version?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 02:11:03 GMT

I'm trying some basic exceptions stuff with egcs-1.0.2-8 under RH Linux 5.1
and the exceptions catching doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried catch
(...) as well as catching a superclass of several exception classes, but
always just get a core dump.

Is this an egcs bug or am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
Mook

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux certification
Date: 07 Mar 1999 22:59:45 -0800

Tom Ed White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm considering forking out $$$$ for Linux certification. I'm considering
> the Red Hat program. I would like to work in a Linux based environment.
>
> The thing is, everything I know is self taught, maybe not so good for a
> resume. OTOH, I think maybe I could get work just through networking (the
> people kind) without having to fork out copious amount of cash. I'm already
> getting occasional phone calls from MCSE type wanting help on installation.
>
> Any thoughts, biases, rants sincerely appreciated.

To investigate several alternatives to the Red Hat program, look for
"certification" in http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/promotion.html .

Before you fork out copious amount of cash, consider asking around to
determine whether your certification would matter to anybody.  The
people that would be likely to rely on a certificaton, probably have
no reason to trust Red Hat's program.  Word of mouth is highly
valued.  But how do you get started?  Just hang out a shingle and
start selling or get a job in a Unix shop and start learning and
networking.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wilhelm Wienemann)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: win95 & linux (lilo) boot problems
Date: 7 Mar 1999 23:23:07 +0100

Michael Mc Cabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> informed
alt.os.linux with the following:
> I am using win95 (on first partition) & suse 5.0 (on third partition
> dev/hda4) (second copy of win95 on second partition, fourth is extended)
> I currently boot from floppy in yast I have set up lilo to dev/hda4
> (where linux is) booting from within the partition on reboot I get LILO
> up, then an error message telling me to reboot I have hidden all
> partitions except linux and tried again (same error) I have tried using
> partition magic as a boot manager still no joy I have tried LOADLIN from
> win95 and still get it wrong
>
> any help would be grateful

Did you run /sbin/lilo?
After setting up LILO in MBR or in a partition and modify your
LILO configuration in /etc/lilo.conf you have to run /sbin/lilo
=======================> cut here <======================== =
:r /usr/doc/lilo-0.20/README

[...]
  - Run /sbin/lilo _whenever_ the kernel or any part of LILO, including its
    configuration file, has changed. When in doubt, run it. You can't run
    /sbin/lilo too many times.
=======================> cut here <======================== =

bye - Wilhelm

--
==========>>>>>   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <<<<<===========
"And since you are the future keepers of everything, including music, we
 hope you will keep it well, with love, and in joy." (Frederick Fennell)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Angus March)
Crossposted-To: alt.dcom.slip-emulators
Subject: Re: Slirp compile error: Linux 2.0.33
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:09:26 GMT

It was a dark and stormy night when [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr Paul
Kinsler) wrote:
>So this is what I did: from an initial configuration,  type make, and
>it'll stop at the error  message you got.  Then alter main.h:43 to read
>(note the new variable names)
>
>    extern struct fd_set nreadfds, nwritefds, nxfds;
>
>And run make again, and it compiles from where it left off until:
>

>I then changed main.h:43 back to it's original definition:
>
>    extern struct fd_set readfds, writefds, xfds;
>
>Typed make, and it finished compiling slirp ok.  The resulting executable
>ran, but I dont guarantee it'll work when dialling in.  Phew.  No doubt
>all it needs is some variable renaming, but trying renaming in main.h to
>agree with socket.c didn't seem to work, so it's obvoiusly a bit more
>subtle than that.
        Yeah, well. I just did as you sed, and sure enough it compiled
and produce a binary. I've run it several times without incident so
far. Thanks for your help.

--
  (       )             http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/addr.html
  _\_____/_        ___________       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 |---------|___ __|___________|__
/___________\  |_________________| Murphy ain't seen nothing yet

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:17:09 -0800

Robert Barnes wrote:

> Why does it have to be an internal?  An external modem is guarenteed
> to be a true modem.

Moreover, you can network all your computers and just use ONE external
modem.

>   If it must be an internal, stay away from PCI based modems.  Most
> (99%) are winmodems.  Price is also a good indicator, if it cost
> $14.95, it's a winmodem.
>                                         -bob
> Hugh Johnson wrote:
> >
> > I'm having a hard time trying to find a good internal modem (at a good
> > price) that will work with RedHat. Today I bought a Viking v.90, which
> > said nothing on the box about being a WinModem or requiring Windows or
> > anything of the sort. The techie behind the service counter said it
> > would work with Linux. So I brought it home, plugged it in, and it was
> > 100% WinModem crap. Now I'm afraid to buy anything else unless I'm
> > really sure it'll work. Does anybody have any specific suggestions
> > (make & model)?  What about the Zoom 2919?  www.zoomtel is no-tell.
> > Where can I find this info? Thanks.

Whatever else you do, you ARE going to return the thing, right?

Bev
"I used to be convinced that MicroSquish shipped crap because they simply
didn't give a flying fuck as long as the sheep kept buying their shit.
Now, I'm convinced that they really do ship the best products they are
capable of writing, and *that's* tragic."
                            - John C. Randolph, about MS quality control.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ('Wulff)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 is a waste of time.....Win98 for 2000.
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:15:01 GMT

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:20:14 -0600, Dave Hostetler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you watch the Office supply and or computer stores Red Hat 5.2 Boxed
>set (With the install guide and a nice CD Rom that you install from, not
>to mention the boot/setup disk) can be had for less than $20.00 . If you
>have done no research into running Linux then I would suggest that you do
>your research first and then install one machine at a time. I am currnetly
>running Red Hat 5.2 AND Win95 in a dual boot configuration. I got the
>Windows with my machine and I am slowly trying to wean myself from
>Microsquish software. (Any Breathed fans will understand the MS slam.) I
>am not sure it is legal for me to post the Red Hat installation floppy for
>download but if it is I will set it on my web site.
>http://www.brokersys.com/~dbhost I will set up an FTP link. I think that
>Red Hat may have it available on their site. I wish you luck, and welcome
>to Linux!

Jeesus Dave.....You should put a disclaimer on your page...
"Do not read with a mouthful of beer"
Corona is not good for the keys.

If we could just get everyone to close his or her eyes and visualize world peace for
an hour,
imagine how serene and quiet it would be
until the looting started.

------------------------------

From: pcbrown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:09:56 -0600

I think you missed the point Craig.  The intention was not to bore everyone,
rather to set the record straight.
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.  Did someone say DIVX
????? xhdgfjkerydf###3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: GTK/Xwindows No such file
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:06:17 GMT

"xmacabre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to get GTK working, but with no luck. When I run the script
>./configure, it gets to the part to checking for X, it stops, and tells me
>it is not installed, but it is. It looks like it's looking for a file called
>Intrinsic.h, but I have no such file on my system by that name.  I'm running
>redhat 5.1 and trying to install GTK 1.1.16. Any ideas on how to solve the
>problem?

You probably need to install the x development package
xdevel-3.3.?-?.i386.rpm. Make sure that the version numbers
match those of the xf86 package that you installed.

Red Hat and others tend to put the binary libraries
and the c header files into different packages.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:05:07 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>brian moore wrote:
>>
>> And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
>> concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
>> language', Unix is the most portable OS.)
>
>Hmmm.... Two examples just off the top of my head: MVS (S/390 OS) and
>OS/400 (need I explain?)

There are several high-end server operating systems still in current
use which predate Unix and are not based on it in any way.

The operating systems used on Unisys mainframes (OS2200 on the ex-Sperry
side, and whatever it is that the ex-Burroughs A-Series boxes use) are
two more examples.  Both are heavily used in certain markets.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Does Linux support Memory Mapped Files?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:06:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Spicy) wrote:

>Does Linux have the capability to support Memory Mapped Files like in
>NT?  If so where can I find some documentation on this?

mmap. There is a man page - mmap (2).

[snip]

>What kind of Source Management is available, currently using
>SourceSafe on NT.  Does linux only have RCS?

Try cvs.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can Win'98 files be seen in Linux?
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:31:42 GMT

 Hi ,
I have a big problem installing my cheap n/w Encore ENL832-TX Fast ethernet
cardcard.
To get it recognized by linux
I want to :
1. Upgrade to Linux 5.2 but I don't have a CD. So I want a n/w connection.
For that as I want a n/w card.. for that v5.2..
2. upgrade the kernel .. (as v5.2 will do)

but as i can access the n/w from windows 98 which is on the same hard
drive, IS  THRE ANYWAY THAT I CAN GET THE UPGRADE FILE DOWNLOADED IN
WINDOWS 98 AND CAN USE IN LINUX BY ACCESSING ITS FILES/.
thanks for your help
-kishore

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Help: Newbie doesn't know where to start with GNOME!
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:36:35 GMT

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:04:51 -0800,
 jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Um, the goal is to expand it, not shrink it.
>
> The point is the complexity of installing it.  Look at your list, which
> you say continues, and then look at KDE.  KDE has just as many programs
> in it, yet it has a less complicated package setup.

At 'my' list?  I posted no list.  I quoted someone's list.  Please learn
how to follow quotations.

I don't see how making less tarballs makes something 'easier' to
install or smaller.  Hint: most of those tarballs are pretty slim.

> > Doesn't do you a lot of good to have a series of desktop applications
> > when they number only 2.
>
> Well, the actual object is not commming up with more programs then the
> other,...that really means nothing.

'the other'?  No, the goal (for each of KDE or GNOME) is to have a wide
variety of applications.  That will make them both large.  It's not a
question of "more than the other", it is a question of the point of each
of them existing.

Expect GNOME to get bigger as the variety of applications and their
complexity grows.  Likewise, expect KDE to do the same.  It is the goal
of both projects to grow.

> > Expect it to get much bigger: GNOME looks quite nice so far.
>
> It shouldn't get bigger, it should become more compact and fluid.
> Bigger is not better under these cercumstances.  It should be a breeze
> to install...KDE was a breeze the first time I tried it during
> Beta1...when is gnome going to catch up?

GNOME was trivial for me to install.

Hint: glibc1 is dying.  Expect to see support for it dry up.  (And, yep,
even Slack now includes glibc2.)

> Shit, I have seen some KDE distributions in Slackware packages...I have
> never seen an outside program in that form, and certainly not GNOME.

Then complain to Patrick about it.  (He's already said he's going to
bundle KDE with Slack, nag him into adding GNOME, too.)

> GNOME has flashy graphics,...that is ALL it has over KDE, which I don't
> consider a bonus since it that kind of resource waste is kinda dopy in
> my opinion.

Have you used it?

Or are you just posting what you think it is?

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: kermit messages
Date: 8 Mar 1999 08:39:35 +0100

In article <7bsdsg$epk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Frank da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Allan Adler  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: Today I started getting
>: a new message in addition to the overrun message. It is:
>:
>: ll_rw_block: device 03:02: only 1024-char blocks implemented (4096)
>:
>: ................snip
>:
>Which version of C-Kermit are you using?  Newer versions do bigger disk
>writes.  Version 7.0 might try to write anywhere from 4K to 32K at a time.
>Evidently your disk device driver doesn't handle large writes "atomically"
>and therefore puts up a warning message to let you know this.  But from what
>you said, it also appears to recover from them by breaking large writes up
>into smaller ones internally.

This messages (ll_rw_block: ..etc...) is totally unrelated to kermit.
It could be related to some strange IDE disk drive being used as a
swap device.

Device 03:02 is translated into /dev/hda2 with the major and minor
device numbers being 3 and 2 respectively.  As long as we don't know
how /dev/hda2 is used we cannot guess on the reason for the ll_rw_block
message.

Kermit writes of whatever block size goes to the file system which will
do its magic before putting the data on the disk.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?  IGNORE THIS TROLL!!
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:32:53 -1000

--

Richard Latimer wrote in message <7br2so$83m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>There are several ways to cause people to upgrade. One is to
>stop supporting something, say take support for a.out binaries
>out of the kernel. Another way is to use features that would re-
>quire users to upgrade or be left out, such as html in messages.

^^^^
-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -   insert 'winmodem' here

This sounds like a typical Microsoft business tactic.

>It is also anal in that you must do everything MS's way.

Hypocrite.

>It isn't practical to expect newbies to solve
>these problems themselves. They require make easier installation
>and capable gooey gooey gooey software.

This is a typical Microsoft FUD statement.

>If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

This is the only piece of advice from you that I agree with.  All future
posts from you will be directed to /dev/null.

>The first and most important thing to do is to undermine confidence
>in things as they are.

That is a typical Microsoft FUD tactic.

>Unix culture is too outmoded and outdated to take
>seriously.

Why are you here then?

>Users will use usenet for whatever purpose fills their needs.

Please do not fullfill your needs here.

>don't expect users who have had a
>much richer experience with Windows to take current unix culture
>seriously.
>
>richard

I ask again, why are you here then?

Could you please take your richer experience, your posts, and your Microsoft
FUD tactics to the following newsgroup:

comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

You are not welcome here.  If I wanted to listen to people rant and rave,
like yourself, I'd visit that newsgroup.  Just go away.

Regulars here should ignore and stop feeding this troll.

~~~~
Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay
(and
quite a few things that just have nothing at all to do with the question).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:45:23 GMT

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:22:38 -0500,
 Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
> > concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
> > language', Unix is the most portable OS.)
>
> Hmmm.... Two examples just off the top of my head: MVS (S/390 OS) and
> OS/400 (need I explain?)

Which of those is made by a company that doesn't ship Unix?  They both
seem to be made by IBM, which has played in the Unix biz for years and
has shown no signs of disinterest.

(As for the AS/400, rumor is that there is an internal Linux port that
folks at IBM have been playing with for grins.  Now if I could just get
my boss to let me have the old D-box ....)

MS has precisely zero Unix offerings.  They most likely never will
(despite "why can't microsoft make MS-Linux" threads) thanks to their
agreement with SCO to stay out of the Unix market.  (SCO was smart when
they bought off Xenix on that point.)

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:49:23 +0100
From: Martin Farrent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Integrated intranet platform

Jpub (http://www.jpub.de) is a new integrated intranet platform
developed under

the GPL in Java, using Linux as the development platform. It's based on
the

concept that intranets are intrinsically different from public web sites
and

require a server technology of their own. This includes user tracking, a

flexible permissioning system, a kind of "GUI" and what we call a
"virtual file

system". With jpub, creating new web pages is just as easy as typing a
letter -

and simply done in your browser. But we need good coders to help us.

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:56:22 GMT

On 8 Mar 1999 04:46:59 GMT,
 Hugh Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having a hard time trying to find a good internal modem (at a good
> price) that will work with RedHat. Today I bought a Viking v.90, which
> said nothing on the box about being a WinModem or requiring Windows or
> anything of the sort. The techie behind the service counter said it
> would work with Linux. So I brought it home, plugged it in, and it was
> 100% WinModem crap. Now I'm afraid to buy anything else unless I'm
> really sure it'll work. Does anybody have any specific suggestions
> (make & model)?  What about the Zoom 2919?  www.zoomtel is no-tell.
> Where can I find this info? Thanks.

Well, I just bought a Zoom and it works fine.

It's an external (I hate internal modems) 2949L.

The 2919 should work as well (note that it claims to work on DOS: this
means it's not a WinModem -- compare with the 2925 which requires Win9x
or NT4, the signs of a WinModem).

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM that requires Win98?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:05:34 +0000

"K.A. Steensma" wrote:

> I don't know if you have gotten an answer from anyone else but I will put
> in my 2 cents worth.  I have experience with 36X's and they are standard
> IDE devices.  (At least RedHat) Linux finds the 36X right off.  I haven't
> heard of anything along the line of a change in technical design so I would
> (guess) you would not have a problem.  KAS
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I had a slightly different experience. I have a 32x Creative CD-ROM
drive in my system, running with an Asus TX-97E motherboard. I had a
problem getting the CD-ROM detected in Linux until I changed the PIO
mode in the BIOS from 4 to 2 (to disable UDMA). There might be a similar
change with the Dell.

--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] MCP: Win95 [-

------------------------------

From: "Ralph Glebe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Visual Studio and SAMBA and error message.
Date: 8 Mar 1999 04:57:30 GMT

I'm using MS Visual Studio, with my source files on a samba share.  Every
time I do a compile I get the message that my source file has been changed
outside the editor, do I want to reload.  I can use pcnfs and I don't
experience the problem.  Someone thought this had something to do with time
stamps and that they had seen the fix someplace in the documentation.  I've
scoured the documentation pretty well, and can't find anything.  Anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks Ralph