From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:31:45 -0500

David Steuber wrote:

> GUI time line:
>
> SRI-----PARC------APPLE-------MSFT
>         MIT (X)
>          ----- Free X

GUI time line? I had to laugh. Why does it split? Is X is a
different, parallel universe? What a load of tosh these potted
histories are.

Thank you for cheering up my afternoon. Normally only Dilbert has
this effect.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:55:15 +0000

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, David Stockbridge wrote:

> I might as well add my (un)learned comments. I am using a 3Com/USR Sportster
> Faxmodem (V.90, x2) internal modem card. It is ISA not PCI, which means it
> can't be a Winmodem.

Wrong! There are many ISA winmodems.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

------------------------------

From: "David Stockbridge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RPM utility under Windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:31:10 -0500

WinZip can handle .tar files. It can even handle .tar.gz files, but there is
a trick to it. If WinZip asks for an extension for the extracted file, add
"tar".

Dave

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error message at boot - Red Hat 5.2
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:27:14 +0100

There was a flap a couple of years back when it was discovered that
certain (illegal) opcodes beginning with the bytes F0 0F, could cause a
Pentium to crash/hang, even when executed from non-privileged modes.
Intel patched the chip from a certain revision.  For earlier chips,
its's up to the OS to install handlers to stop the crash.

I think the message is fairly self-explanatory - "workaround enabled" -
no ?  Oh well.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ZIP Disk & SCSI HD Installation
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:50:50 -0600

Bryan Knight wrote:

> I have recently acquired a Paralell Port Zip 100 Drive, and I would like to
> get it to work with Slackware Linux 3.6 distribution.  I have a SCSI
> controller on my motherboard with a 2GB HD and a 4x CD drive on it.  I have
> tried to boot with the IOMEGA.S boot disk to attempt to load the ZIP drive
> to try it out, however, it seems like it makes the zip drive /dev/sda, but
> that is where my hard drive is!  When everything else trys to load, and
> finds an empty zip disk instead of a hard drive, it stops with a Kernel
> Panic error.  Any suggestions?
>
>  - Bryan
>
> Please reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] if possible.
>
> "I'd be a fool if I didn't learn from my own mistakes, but I'd be a fucking
> moron if I didn't learn from other people's!"

  Make the zip driver a loadable module. This way you can control when
and where it gets loaded. There really isn't anyway to make the kernel
load drivers in a particular order, AFAIK. If you make it a module, then
you can just uncomment the line in the modules file and let insmod do
the work for you. If you are running slackware, this file is
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules. Uncomment the ppa driver.
--
Peter Buelow

------------------------------

From: "Seth Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.2 and UFS write support - does it work?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 16:14:06 GMT

Kernel 2.2.3 was released this morning, I think I saw something about fixing
some FS bugs... you might want to check into it :)

I personally have never used UFS, sorry.

------------------------------

From: Kari Pahula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: Motti 2.0 - a strategy game
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:40:00 +0200 (EET)

I am pleased to announce that Motti 2.0 is now released.

Motti is a strategy game, which resembles distantly the game of go.
Motti 2.0 should run on any system with the X Window System.

This is a complete rewrite of Motti 1.0, and should be regarded as
the first real release.

The game is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
It can be downloaded from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/motti/motti-2.0.tar.gz,
and mirrors of that site (see below).

Please report bugs to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

[ Most GNU software is compressed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
  Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
  Executables for various systems and information about using gzip can be
  found at the URL http://www.gzip.org.

  For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
  Please try them before ftp.gnu.org as ftp.gnu.org is very busy!
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  thanx [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Asia and Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.ieunet.ie/pub/gnu (Internet address 192.111.39.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: Richard Stallman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce
Subject: Needed: new GNU voluteer coordinators
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:38:04 -0500

The FSF is looking for one or two additional people to help out with
coordinating the volunteers working on GNU software and documentation.

The volunteer coordinator job involves reading and handling messages
from people offering to help out, sending them information such as the
coding standards or the task list, recording what they want to work on
and their progress, putting people in touch with others who are
working on related tasks, and telling other people in the GNU project
when a completed package is available.

We hope to have three coordinators, who would divide up the job, each
spending two or three hours per week.  It is important for
coordinators to stick to the job in a responsible way for a long time;
it causes problems when they come and go.

If you are interested in volunteering to be a coordinator, please send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Tolen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Stupid Newbie tricks (Add this to list)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:17:34 GMT

Well,  when I issued the shutdown command I did not include the -h or
-r flag. (The book I am using did not really say to use them.) It was
simply a case of ignorance on my part regarding ways to shut down X
and ways to shut down the system. When I did my "trick", it appeared
that the system was in an unresponsive state. The only thing I
_thought_ I could do was power off the computer. I know better now.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: who on RH5.1 (new machine)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:37:17 GMT

Rick Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ttyS0 (mgetty process) then WHO will list other users
> on the console/virt terminals and then hang, not showing
> the user on the serial port.

It is probably hung up trying to do a hostname lookup
Try using strace to see what it is up to

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE in Debian 2.1 ?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:01:19 +0100

Thanks - it's clear now.  I just assumed that since KDE was in contrib
for hamm, it would be there for slink too.

> KDE is still not shipped by Debian, as the licensing issue (see
> http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008) still exists.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rainer Krienke)
Subject: Re: Kernel NFS Problem; device busy
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 9 Mar 1999 16:42:52 +0100

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Rainer Krienke wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running linux with kernel 2.2.2 with knfsd-981204
>> (using kernel based NFS).
>> The problem is that if I export a filesystem like /cdrom to another machine
>> and this machine NFS mounts uses and umounts this filesystem I
>> cannot umount /cdrom on locally my machine afterwards. Although there is no NFS
>> mount on /cdrom and no other process that accesses /cdrom I cannot
>> umount it. The kernel always says that this mountpoint is busy.
>>
>> This problem does not occur, if I use /cdrom only locally (do not NFS
>> mount it from another machine). In this case I can always mount and
>> umount it later.
>>
>> A bug in the kernel NFS code? Any idea ?
>>
>> Thanks Rainer
>>
>> --
> behaviour until its unexported, the procedure below works.
> 1. umount /cdrom on the remote machine.
> 2. kexportfs -u <host>:/cdrom on the local machine, see man exports.
> 3. umount /cdrom on the local machine.
> Regards

Allright this way it really works. But this approach has at least one
disadvantage: Linux users may be given the permission to
mount and umount directories but if the have to unexport directories the
do not have permissions to do so. So the user might not be able to
umount a directory just because of the export state he cannot change.

Any comments ?

Rainer Krienke

Rainer Krienke                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universitaet Koblenz,              http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Rechenzentrum,                     Voice: +49 261 287 - 1312
Rheinau 1, 56075 Koblenz, Germany  Fax:   +49 261 287 - 1355

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:00:02 GMT

brian moore ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >
: > Yes. And Your point, as related to "the last holdout from basing their
: > systems on Unix concepts is Microsoft" bit? Mind You, if You look deep
: > enough into NT architecture, You'll see.... VMS!
:
: VMS is based on Unix?
:
: Very interesting news indeed.

It might be interesting, but it is certainly wrong news.  If you read the
paragraph above, it implies that the NT architecture is based on VMS.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project
Date: 9 Mar 1999 17:33:16 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Phil Stevens <mudshark> wrote:
>On 9 Mar 1999 08:15:10 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
>wrote while drinking:
>

>>Which rather neatly demonstrates why US prices are no use in UK
>>newsgroup.  There are so many variables to add on or knock off
>>(and H.M. C&E are so abysmal at calculating them right) that the
>>only meaningful price for a UK user is one quoted in GBP with all
>>the relevant taxes paid.
>
>Ahem. The following header was found on your followup:
>
>Newsgroups:
>comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
>
>The first three newsgroups are in the comp.* hierarchy, which was not
>exclusive to the UK last time I checked.

If you'd read the thread before leaping in with your foot in your mouth
you wouldn't have made that comment.

>Pay attention, please.

Exactly.

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

------------------------------

From: Neil Padgen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: RedHat 5.1 and live RealAudio streams
Date: 09 Mar 1999 17:38:14 +0000

I'm trying to install RealServer G2 on a RedHat Linux 5.1 box.  It
seems to install OK, but I cannot serve a live stream encoded with the
rmenc supplied with RH5.1.

The encoder connects to the server OK, but the rvplayer does not
connect - it just sits there forever with a message "Connecting to
(ip-address)".

The reason I'm using this rather than the realaudio software supplied
with the RH5.1 boxed set is that I need to archive a live stream, and
the supplied license file does not allow this.  rmenc generates the
error "alert: That stream is not available with the requested codec
and/or bandwidth".

Two questions:

- Does the boxed set of RH5.2 contain RealAudio software such that I
  can stream live and archive the stream?
- If not, how do I get G2 to serve a live pre-G2 stream?

Replies by email please.  I'll summarise.

-- Neil

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie - ZIP DRIVE QUESTION
Date: 9 Mar 1999 12:40:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:  Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> I have an internal ZIP drive, but I can't figure out what type I have.
:> SCSI, ATAPI, IDE.
:>
:> In system properties all it says is IOMEGA ZIP 100. How can I find out
:> which one I have?

:   Chances are if your Zip drive is an internal model its an IDE.You can check
: this in windows device manager. It'll be listed with the drive controllers
: along with your hard drive(s) & cd-rom drive (if its an IDE). The IDE devices
: all have iocns that look like HD's, SCSI devices are signified by a diamond
: shaped icon. If your still not sure you can power down your machine, pop the
: lid off and look to see where the drive is plugged into the main board.

Hmm, I have no idea what "systems properties" or "device manager" mean, but
to clarify: chances are that an internal Zip is specifically an ATAPI drive.
But there are some IDE-but-not-ATAPI Zips floating around (I've got one).
One way to tell them apart is that the IDE model has a little wire
release-hook at the top-left of the faceplate that the ATAPI (and internal
SCSI afaik) models lack.

FWIW, dmesg lists "hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100, 96MB w/16kB Cache, CHS=512/12/32"
as the bootlog entry for my IDE/non-ATAPI Zip drive, in case that helps.

jg

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life     Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."     the West

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:57:05 GMT

brian moore wrote:

> I didn't think it needed an explanation, since it's clear that IBM is a
> Unix vendor despite also selling OS/400.  (Heck, they also sell Windows
> on Aptivas.)  Your argument is a red herring.  May as well claim that
> Safeway doesn't sell apples because they have milk.

Ummm...true IBM has AIX, but they didn't start dealing with UNIX until
the late '80s and at that time they had so little experience
*supporting* it, they had to have a major hiring just to get some UNIX
types onboard. Prior to that they were *business* oriented (Ever wonder
why they are call Internamtional *Business* Machines ? ;-) and UNIX was
not widely used in business...

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem mounting Windows drive
Date: 9 Mar 1999 15:27:03 GMT

Hello,

I recently upgraded LILO to version 21.  Since I installed it however I
have been unable to mount my Windows drive.  When I try, mount reports:

mount: wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda1

What's more, I can't boot Windows.  When I boot from a Windows floppy it
acts as though the drive is not formatted.  Could LILO's installation
process have overwritten something on /dev/hda that tells the bios what
format it is?  If so, can I restore it?  I didn't actually format the
drive so all the data must still be there, I just can't get to it.  Does
anyone know of a utility, Linux or DOS, which allows you to edit the raw
data on a disk and know what the data should be?

Finally, the question I fear I don't want to hear the answer to:  Am I
screwed?  Have I inadvertently blown away my Windows stuff?

Thanks in advance,

--
Bob Gough
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie - pbm2ppa ?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:57:45 -0800

I have a HP 722C DeskJet printer. I am trying to print to it with no
luck. I downloaded the pbm2ppa file from Tom Norman's page
(http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/)  but I don't know what to do
with it.

Please Help.

Thanks