Linux-Misc Digest #404, Volume #19               Wed, 10 Mar 99 19:13:15 EST

Contents:
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Johan Kullstam)
  problem upgrading util-linux (Eric Brager)
  Re: Linux behind MS Proxy (TS Stahl)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Remote login for "root" - how??? (Craig Behnke)
  Re: Linux behind MS Proxy (Colin)
  Re: MS Explorer 4.0 for Unix (Penn Stater)
  disk otpimization & defragmentat? (Peter Schrömbges)
  Re: Linux setup (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: PPP connection ... Help ("Charles P. Koerner")
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: chown: bug or feature (Greg Franks)
  HELP PRINT ("Roberto Picciol")
  Re: Bizarre "find" process running under owner "nobody" ("Thomas S. Urban")
  strange characters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: version control - complicated diff usage (NF Stevens)
  so how do you format dat/dds tapes?? (david horner)
  Re: App for reading M$ Access database? (Marco Tephlant)
  Re: One Linux "system" bootable on two different machines? (R. Ransbottom)
  Re: Can't get PC100 motherboard w/sound to work (Ray)
  Questions for Linux user/developers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  n/w needs insmod, ifconfig for every  boot process (Kishore)
  Re: chown: bug or feature (Steve Peltz)
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (Orthotrek)
  Re: Help Wanted on Gnome Installation HOWTO (Haakon Nilsen)

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 16:38:51 -0500

Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:
>
> > Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Circular logic ...
> >
> > how is this circular?
>
> Yer logic is this: "MS wants Windows everywhere so MS wants Windows
> eveywhere - QED". That's about as minimally circular as you can get
> !

that's not at all what i mean.  my logic is this.  if i install linux,
then windows *isn't* everywhere, viz., my linux box.  it's about as
straightforward a proposition as you can get.

> > > Why ?
> >
> > because it is so far fetched.
>
> You prove to MS that they can sustain the buisness with Unix and you're
> it won't be so far fetched.

MS doesn't want to do business on unix.  it could interfere with its
windows sales.  if i could run ms-office on solaris, then i could make
a solid case to my boss to get rid of my pc running microsoft windows
and get me a sparcstation on my desktop.  now everyone wouldn't
appreciate a solaris sparcstation, but i wager enough might that
microsoft won't try.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:18:35 +0000
From: Eric Brager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem upgrading util-linux

Hey folks,

Getting an annoying error that when trying to upgrade the util-linux rpm
on redhat-5.2 / i386

# rpm -Uvh util-linux-2.9-0.i386.rpm
util-linux                  unpacking of archive failed on file
/bin/login: -2147483639: Operation not permitted
error: util-linux-2.9-0.i386.rpm cannot be installed
#

I even tried to rebuild the rpm from the srpm to no avail.

[root@primate /root]# cd /bin
[root@primate /bin]# ls -alp login
-rws--x--x   1 root     root        15588 Jun  1  1998 login
[root@primate /bin]#

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

------------------------------

From: TS Stahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux behind MS Proxy
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:56:55 -0600

Generally speaking, you need to set the proxy up as the default gateway.  Look
at the man page for the route command, but it will go something like this
(syntax?)

route add default gw proxybox.com (or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: 10 Mar 1999 21:48:48 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ned Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>One indication that it's a Whinemodem is the price is too good to
>be
>true...WinModems are cheaper 'cause they're missing half the
>parts.

Actually, the price of modems tends to be determined more by the name on
the outside (That little stamp can cost up to $100) than the costs of
the insides. So the difference in price between a real modem and a
winmodem, based on the cost of manufacture is probably $20 or $30., from
the ocst of comparable modems.

------------------------------

From: Craig Behnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Remote login for "root" - how???
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:08:38 -0800

        If you're _not_ on a closed network, you shouldn't be su'ing over an
open session, anyway. Not over telnet, not over rlogin, not over an
unencrypted xsession's xterm-- none of these are safe if you're going
over any network segments that you don't know exactly what device is
attached everywhere. On an open network (like, say, our academic
department's network where anyone can plug basically anything into it,
and there's already been several break-ins, so lots of userid's &
passwords have been sniffed & made it to the world's s.k.'s), you have
to assume anything unencrypted will be sniffed.

        As far as I'm concerned (extreme paranoia mode) the only time it's safe
to either remotely login as root or remotely su to root over an open
connection is when you have two machines with a crossover ethernet cable
between them. Otherwise, use ssh or another secure, encrypted service.
Only allow these connections from machines you know you will use. And
make it policy that anyone who su's to root over an open connection will
be maimed. This will make your life easy.

        The problem is, that if someone is sniffing, they'll grap your root
password whether it's at the telnet login, or when su asks for it--
either way, they've probably already snagged your password sent over the
open connection, so rlog'ing in or telnetting in is no problem for them,
and there's no problem with su'ing since you've also given them the root
password. They'll install a few modified programs (ls, etc), and you're
owned. Keep it encrypted. Just my 2c (ok, more like 2.5c).

                                                -Craig

--
Craig Behnke
Biomolecular Structure and Design Program, University of Washington

alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:38:33 -0500

You're using that god-awful M$ Proxy instead of your linux box?
Ewww, go back to M$ products exclusively.

Colin

--
Why gain the world but lose your soul?
Wisdom is much better than silver and gold.

At some time, a luser drooled thusly...

}How to setup RedHat 5.2 behind Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0?
}

From: Penn Stater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Explorer 4.0 for Unix
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:43:46 GMT

On 13 Feb 1999, Mike Khalili wrote:

> >will
> >>
> >>WHY?????  The whole point of using Linux is to get out of the
> >>MS-Monopoly
> >
> >Is there any package for Linux that comes anywhere near the functionality
> >of IE?
>
> Yes.  Linux does have web browsers.

You mean like the Netscape Navigator 4.0x that's included with Red Hat?
Really?  Is that a Linux-based web browser?

Nah, you're crazy.  Apparently, there is only Internet Exploder for UNIX.
Get off the guy's case.

</SARCASM>

Bill Gates is not god and Microsoft is not heaven.

Letterbox -- the way a movie is MEANT to be seen
The Letterbox and Widescreen Advocacy Page
http://home.epix.net/~pennstat

From: Peter Schrömbges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: disk otpimization & defragmentat?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:51:44 +0100

I guess there is something like defrag for ext2 though I think you can
do very well without it....in contrast to FAT-filesystems#

Holger

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ibmnet.general,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux setup
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:59:19 +0000

He said his computer name "can be" 111.111.111.111 when it gets the
random 111.111.111.111 on the dynamic alocation.  It will be different
the next time he dial's in.

From: "Charles P. Koerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP connection ... Help
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:53:08 GMT

Keith:
I've got the same problem.  Havent tried it yet but the linux guru at my ISP says to
try another phone number?  Will do that tonight.  By the way, did you get your
RedHat 5.2 from RedHat or boxed from Mcmillian and company.  I've just read that
Mcmillian did not include all the software that RedHat does.
Anyway, mine is from Mcmillian, and there so called support is only for
installation.
Pete

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:04:47 +0000

Its worth 28 notes at a computer show, book and 3 cd's - the book is
worth it alone.

From: Greg Franks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: chown: bug or feature
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:46:38 GMT

    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
    >> In comp.os.linux.development.system Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >> > I thought it had to be
    >> > "if you are trying to change UID to something other then it is now and
    >> > you are not owner of inode or SU, then deny access"
    >>
    >> You can't give files away. This would have accounting and quota
    >> implications.

    Jürgen> Not to mention that probably root would not appreciate
    Jürgen> gifts of SUID binaries ;-)))

chown clears the suid and sgid bits.

Way back in V6 UNIX you could chown to your heart's content.  Things
changed when quotas were introduced.

--
   __@            Greg Franks, (613) 520-5726         <|       _~@ __O
 _`\<,_    Systems Engineering, Carleton University,   |O\   -^\<;^\<,

------------------------------

From: "Roberto Picciol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP PRINT
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:51:55 +0100

Hello
I'm Roby.
(RedHat 5.2, Kernel 2.0.36)

I have a problem with my Cannon Bj4300 when I want print something with
Netscape or Xemacs.
The output printer is :

Unrecoverable errror: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops.......

I can print a file with command lpr -Plella namefile without problems.

In Netscape I have setup print with: lpr -Plella
only.

Thank you

Roby           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Thomas S. Urban" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bizarre "find" process running under owner "nobody"
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:21:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi mates!
>
> Few times a day I hear my machine (Linux 5.2 RedHat) working hard without me
> doing anything special.
>
> Running "top" I can se a very heavy "find" process running, consuming a lot of
> cpu and owned by "nobody".
>
> Does anybody knows where is the "trigger" of this process? is it some sort of
> a "cron"?, housekeeping work etc.??  Where can I find the files that
> configure and invoke this process (or others??).

Probably the locate database getting updated.  Check crontab
entries for root and nobody to see what's going on.

I think it's /etc/crontab, but check
%man cron
%man crontab
%locate crontab
to find it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: strange characters
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:37:04 GMT

guys, does any one knows how do I get rid of some strange characters that
appear on my Linux SuSE after I tried to read ("more") an exacutable file?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.emacs.xemacs,ed.linux
Subject: Re: version control - complicated diff usage
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:58:47 GMT

Sascha Spangenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>is s.o. out there who knows how to do the following....
>
>I have a file called foo version 1.0
>I edit foo v1.0 and save it as v1.1
>I further edit v1.1  and save it as v1.2
>
>Now I copy foo v1.0 to - say foo2 v1.0- edit this file and save it at
>v1.1
>
>At this stage I want to apply the same changes to foo2 v1.1 as I did in
>foo from v1.1->v1.2
>Assume that the parts where changes need to be made shall be
>    * identical in foo v1.1 and foo2 v1.1  BUT
>    * at different positions withing the files...
>
>Is there a way of doing this with diff or so???

patch is what you want.

Norman

------------------------------

From: david horner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: so how do you format dat/dds tapes??
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:05:26 -0800

How do i format a tape in my hp3470 drive on the adaptec card?
It sees and runs the drive but gets tracking probs so i wanna reformat
the tape.

From: Marco Tephlant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: App for reading M$ Access database?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:14:13 +0000

Anne Williams wrote:

> Dave Hinz wrote:
> >
> > I've been asked to come up with a web server to take data
> > from a Micro$loth Access database, massage it a bit, and
> > put it onto the web.  I'd like to do it with Linux
> > (RedHat 5.2 in this case).  Can someone suggest a good
> > app I can use for this purpose?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave Hinz
> > Software Development Support
> > GE Medical Systems
>
> I believe star office can read MS access databases.  But a better way
> would be to export it from access via ODBC into a comma delimited data
> file (actually any delimiter will do or format that is simple to read).
> I have a small perl cgi script that I wrote and could pass on that takes
> a comma delimited file and puts it up as a table.  You will need cgi
> access and such, but I could give you the info to use it. just post a
> reply if you are interested in this approach (I know its a tangent)
>
> your question otherwise comes down to two parts 1) a program that reads
> access files in unix (Redhat linux 5.2 in particular) I think that star
> office will fit the bill here.  2) taking that data and making it useful
> on the web.  A cgi to put it up as a table or search the data file
> format is probably the way to go with this. If you describe how you want
> the data used maybe myself or someone else can pass on a cgi script that
> meets you needs.
>
> Before I get flamed for wandering.  I am just trying to help someone
> find a solution to a problem as much as I can with the way I read the
> message.
>             Anne

Interestingly I have been toying with a database in perl that was previously
hosted in MS access,  and it is at least as fast!  I was amazed,  the only
slow part is if you are downloading the output as a large page.
--
Marco

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Ransbottom)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: One Linux "system" bootable on two different machines?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 13:11:20 -0500

In article <01be64ac$52f541f0$8aea689b@w784749>,
Norm Dresner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need to create a Jaz disk that can be booted to linux on two different
>machines with two different motherboards, video cards, ...  The only
>constancy I can count on is that the SCSI Jaz drive will be the boot drive
>for both machines.

You can do this easily.

I understand that you want to have one linux system that you
can plug into two different sets of hardware, i.e. at work and home.

>I assume I can create two different kernels and choose which one to boot
>thru LILO -- an alternate would be to boot to DOS with a floppy which then
>uses the OS loader to load the right kernel.  Has anyone done this before?

No.  One kernel should suffice, just configure the devices required
for both machines into the one kernel.

>As for the video, I need to run X-window on both computers.  Can I reliably
>write a program which would look at the hardware and then copy/rename the
>right set of configuration and server files for the appropriate computer?

Find something unique in /proc to grep to distinguish which
config you want and symlink your X configuration accordingly.

>       Thanks for any hints, suggestions, etc.

Cleanliness would dictate that you shutdown to a known state.  That
is that you are always booting from the same state.  Either a neutral
state or from your default machine's config.

rob

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't get PC100 motherboard w/sound to work
Date: 10 Mar 1999 22:50:02 GMT

It sounds like you have CMI 8330 based sound hardware.  There has been a lot
of discussion of this chipset here so you might want to do a Dejanews
search. In short, that chipset is compatable with the SB16 and also the WSS
(Windows Sound System) so you can treat it like one of those.  Don't forget
to use the ISA PnP tools to set up the card.  Back when I was using one of
these, it required a patch to unmute the sound but I think that may have
been fixed.  You could also use the Alsa sound drivers which handle unmuting
the card just fine.

--
Ray

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Questions for Linux user/developers
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:38:24 GMT

Dear Linux users and developers,

I am a master's student in the School of Information Library Science at the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been deeply amazed by how
Linux has thrived in the hands of so many loosely knit voluntary developers
all over the world. For my master's paper I am studying the dynamics of the
Linux community, especially what made Linux so distinguished among all the
open source software systems.

I would very much appreciate your time to answer the following questions and
email them back to me before March 31, 1999.  Your participation is
completely voluntary. All responses will remain confidential, and care will
be taken in the final paper to assure that no respondent will be identified.

Questions:
1. How and when did you start to use Linux?

2. Have you ever used any Linux newsgroup to ask for help or give help to
   others? If so, how often?

3. What is it about Linux you like most?

4. What is the one thing you would like to see improved or added?

5. Have you contributed to the development of Linux by writing or modifying
its  source code?  If yes, please answer 5.1-5.3.

   5.1  What motivated you to spend your time and talents to make this
        contribution?

   5.2  What do you think are the rewards of your contributions?

   5.3  Will you contribute to it in the future? Why?

6. If you have contributed to the development of other open source software,
have you noticed any differences between Linux and other systems in terms of
the dynamics of the developer community? If so, what are they?

7. Based upon your experience with Linux, what do you think are the most
   important factors in building and sustaining open source communities?

If you have any questions about my master's project, please feel free to email
back to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], or to my advisor, Dr. Gary Marchionini, at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Zhao, Hui Heather
School of Information and Library Science

From: Kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: n/w needs insmod, ifconfig for every  boot process
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:31:43 GMT

Hi,
I know that the inetd daemon has to invoked evry time I boot but , I did
allthe proceddure as listed in the linux driver manula for realtek 8139 it
works fine after I do
insmod
ifconfig eth0 up...
route add gw
I tried
make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make zImaze
cp /usr/.../boot/zImaze /boot/vmalinuz
lilo

but still it does not take in the boot process and I have to configure it
everytime I boot it. Maybe I am miising something in the
make menuconfig
as they said that to make sure
network, module , ethernet fast support are there for my kernel.
I selected some options but may be I am going wrong somewhere there .
please help me out
Thanks for  reading this big question .
kishore

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Peltz)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,linux.redhat.devel,alt.os.linux,linux.dev.newbie
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:04:02 GMT

In article <7c5v06$8e7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jan Matejka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Imagine what  would be possible on systems with quotas:
>If you have eaten your disk qouta, you could simply move your files to
>somebody else without his knowledge and hapilly continue to likvidate
>free disk space ... that would be VERY SILLY.

What is even sillier is that, since most people don't use quotas, that
restriction makes little sense on that basis.

What the restriction does do is keep you from accidentally creating stuff
that you can't delete (e.g. stuff in /tmp which checks for ownership before
allowing you to delete it; or changing the owner of a directory where you
don't have access as non-owner).

Fortunately, you can put people in multiple groups to allow flexibility
in access.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Orthotrek)
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:58:12 GMT

>You should be able to get a CD from cheapbytes or linuxmall for
>much less and save yourself a big download.
>
>Bob T.

Definitely the way to go.  The documentation that you pay for isn't very good
and you can get it all online anyway.  Don't waste the extra money for it.

rc peters

------------------------------

From: Haakon Nilsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help Wanted on Gnome Installation HOWTO
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:58:43 +0100

"Adam Corsaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>P.S. I too would love to see a linux.redhat.gnome, comp.os.linux.gnome, =
or a
>comp.os.linux.X11.gnome with an comp.os.linux.X11.kde

How about comp.windows.x.gnome?

--=20
Haakon Nilsen, Bergen, Norway.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it,
change your attitude. Don't complain." -Maya Angelou