From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: test - ignore
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:07:58 -0400

How did you get it to work?

Anita Lewis wrote:

> Just trying to post using slrn
> Ignore
>
> Anita

------------------------------

From: "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I can not instal 2nd linux in same disk
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:11:53 GMT

INSTALLATION 2 linuxes in SAME DISK I have portable PC with one HD 7Gb

Because root  directory already assigned to Caldera I can not create second
root directory
to RedHat 6

------------------------------

From: Ross Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound problem with RH6
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:21:26 +1200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Following the RH manual, I tried to use sndconfig. It successfully
> > detects and identifies the card, but when it tries to play a sample, it
> > gives me the following error message:
>
> >     modprobe error
> >     The following error occurred running
> >     the modprobe program:
> >     sh: insmod: command not found
> >     sound: No such file or directory
> >     sound: No such file or directory
>
> > It then runs through a manual configuration, correctly detects all
> > the settings (IRQ etc), but gives the same error when it tries to
> > play.
>
> The problem you're describing is not a sound-specific problem. Rather, you
> either do not have the appropriate programs on your system, or (more likely)
> you're path doesn't include the dirctory where these files live. Check your
> path to see if /usr/sbin is in it, and if it is, check in /usr/sbin to see
> if insmod is there.

It wasn't is /usr/sbin, but it was in /sbin, so I put them both in my
path. But that just made it worse. After sndconfig detected the card and
I hit OK, the whole system froze up; I had to do a hard reboot.

--
Ross Smith ....................................... Auckland, New Zealand
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ........ <http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~r-smith/>

------------------------------

From: electra41 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Autoraising windows in Gnome?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:12:17 +1000

Michael Edson wrote:

>  How do I rig Gnome so that
> when I click on a program in the Gnome pager it not only
> gets the focus, but also is automatically raised?  There's
> an Enlightenment option to autoraise windows if you give
> them the focus with the keyboard, and that works, but I
> can't find anything anywhere that will do it with the Gnome
> pager, short of changing the window manager to fvwm95, which
> pretty much blottos Gnome.

  I use WindowMaker with gnome, and when I click program in gnome pager,
the
window will be raised. I assume it something to do with enlightenment,
not with gnome??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Real Player G2 for Linux?
Date: 15 Aug 1999 03:41:47 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:22:31 GMT Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I seem to have heard that there is a G2 Real Player available for Linux,
>but at the download area of their website, they say that Linux versions
>are "5.0 and below". If there is a free G2 player, how does one go about
>getting it? Or do you have to pay for the Plus version?

Not to be too critical, but a fifteen second search of Deja News
would have found this URL:

http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

Subject: Re: I can not instal 2nd linux in same disk
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Satchell)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:38:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Unknown) wrote in
<d6rt3.119$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>INSTALLATION 2 linuxes in SAME DISK I have portable PC with one HD 7Gb
>
>Because root  directory already assigned to Caldera I can not create
>second root directory
>to RedHat 6

Sure you can.  It's not easy, but it can be done.  All you need is a
separate partition (or set of partitions) to install Red Hat.  This may
mean backing up your existing Caldera installation and repartitioning
your hard drive.

Also, don't think you can load 27 different distributions.  You need at
least one partition for each distribution, and each of those partitions
need to live in the bottom 1GB (or is it 2GB) of the hard drive so it
boots properly...unless you really like loading systems via floppy.

That said, you can have multiple distributions.

Now, how the file systems would play across each distribution...that
would be interesting.

------------------------------

From: Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Searchable archive for comp.os.linux.announce?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:27:10 GMT

Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Yes it does.  Enter `comp.os.linux.advocacy' in the `Group'
> field when searching Deja.

He said comp.os.linux.announce.  Most articles in that group have an
www.google.com/linux has indexed it though.

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of

------------------------------

From: Shah Parag S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: my drive got packed
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:03:52 -0500

hi,
        this may sound weird, but yesterday when i was using my linux
system, i had a power down that lasted for a minute. Later when i switched
on and booted to linux it said that my /home partition was full 100% (df)
and i had 'no space left on device'. So i could not compile my c progs in
gcc also.
        strange enough but could have been caused by a bug in the disk
driver, i guess. Any clues, pls let me know.
thanx in advance.

cheers,
parag

From: "Mike Kompar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: install script problems with lsof
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:02:29 -0400

 I'm building from source lsof_4.42 and the Makefile requires an install
 script.  They give the following example:

         @echo Your install rule actions might look something'
         @echo 'like this:'
         @echo ''
         @echo '    install -m 4xxx -o root -g <group> $${PROG} $${BIN}'
         @echo '    install -m 444 $${MAN} $${DOC}'

 And mine looks like this:

 install: all FRC
         install -m 6550 -o root -g sys $${PROG} $${BIN}

         install -m 444 $${MAN} $${DOC}

 As suggested I also defined :
 BIN=    ${DESTDIR}/usr/local/etc
 DOC=    ${DESTDIR}/usr/man/man8
 GRP=    sys

 They suggested su-ing to root before running make install which I did and I
get:

 make install
 (cd lib; make DEBUG="-O")
 make[1]: Entering directory `~/lsof_4.42/lib'
 make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
 make[1]: Leaving directory `~/lsof_4.42/lib'
 Constructing version.h
 cc  -DLINUXV=22006 -DLSOF_VSTR=\"2.2.6\"    -O   -c usage.c -o usage.o
cc -o lsof dfile.o dmnt.o dnode.o dproc.o dsock.o dstore.o arg.o main.o
misc.o n
 ode.o print.o proc.o store.o usage.o -L./lib -llsof
 install -m 6550 -o root -g sys ${PROG} ${BIN}
 install: too few arguments
 Try `install --help' for more information.
 make: *** [install] Error 1

 Any help would be much appreciated.

 Mike Kompar
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 http://www.mtcibs.com

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd in 'setuid-root' mode
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:57:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>     I have been trying to get a small dock app ("wmppp") to work.  I am
> very close but have run into 1 problem that I believe is my final road
> block.
>     I get the following message whenever I try to connect using the
> script I have set up:
>         /usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is
> not setuid-root
>
>     Is "setuid-root" a compile time option, or can I set this someplace
> else?

No, it is not a compile time option. If you run any non setuid program,
then the binary will run with your UID and with rights associated with
you. So, for example, if as a non-root user you run a program which
needs to set some system resources you cannot do much since the program
will run with your UID. PPP is a program which needs the suid bit since
it has to bring up the ppp interface and to change the routing table.
(Imagine if anybody could mess with the routing table, or if anybody
could open /dev/hda with fdisk.) If the setuid bit is set on a program,
then the program will run with the privileges of the account which was
used to set the suid bit. If it was root, then the program will have
root rights irrevelant who runs it. (sort of.) The PPP-HOWTO discusses
how to set the setuid bit, and it is a good piece ow writing so I
recommend you to read it.

Setuid can be set with the chmod program. For pppd, it is

chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

executed by root.

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Updating the kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.x
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 05:08:03 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:08:26 -0400, Rajesh Radhakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am pretty happy with my RedHat 5.2 and wish to update my kernel only.
>I went to http://www.kernel.org and saw the new kernels.
>
>How do I update my kernel. Is there a kernel.rpm that I can download for
>my RedHat system that updates my kernel.
>
>Thanks
>Rajesh

I would look at the kernel update info for redhat 5.2 on redhat's support
site and see if there are any issues about doing this with the installed
packages you have.  I normally do not use rpms for this sort of thing.  I
download the tarball archive for the kernel and move it to /usr/src.  There
is a symlink called linux there which links to a real directory.  Do a ls -l
at /usr/src and see what it says.  I would then peruse the kernel howto
before moving on.  There are ways and ways of doing this.  I use the kernel
howto method.  It works for me.  I think that you should completely
understand the info at redhat's web site as well as the kernel howto before
continuing.  Also remember to create a easy way to return to your older
kernel when finished.  Read the kernel howto and it will explain this in
some detail.

Take care.  Good research on this particular topic will prepare you.
--
Michael Perry -                  "No one can give you wiser advice
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           .o O   than yourself" -Cicero

------------------------------

From: Wayne Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Invalid PID file
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:05:14 -0400

"Robert S. Nasby" wrote:

> I just finished installing RH 6.0 on my machine, and whenever I make changes
> through linuxconf and save them, I get this error
>
> Invalid PID file: /var/run/postmaster.pid

For convenience, Linux daemons (programs like named, httpd) store their process
id in files in /var/run.  A daemon process that stores its pid in
/var/run/progname.pid
can often be restarted with...

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/progname.pid`

When changes are made to a daemon's config file, the daemon must be told to use
the new configuration.  This is usually done by sending SIGHUP to the daemon
process.  In the old days, you'd edit the config file by hand, find the process
id with
the ps command and signal it with 'kill -HUP <pid>'.

Linuxconf automates many sysadmin tasks, which often include editing config
files
and restarting daemons.  For some reason, it wants to kill or restart postmaster

and cannot find the pid file in /var/run.

Postmaster manages communication between frontend and backend processes of
the PosgreSQL database.  A quick look at the man page indicates that postmaster
does not use a config file, but it can be invoked with different options.

> I am new to liux, and am not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions??

If you are not using PostgreSQL, it's probably no big deal.  If you are, then
this
requires more attention.  Somebody who really knows the score will probably
take exception to my fuzzy answer and help you out.  :-)

> Robert S. Nasby
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--wmp

------------------------------

From: Carl Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kppp freezed my apps!!!!
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:05:46 -0700

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, L'acheteur wrote:
>My system can sucessfully dial up to my ISP via kppp. However, after
>the connection is made i am not able to run any applications!!! I know
>that RH is there as the minute minder in the dial up indicator shows
>it. I wanted to run Netscape but couldn't, i wanted to run mail client
>but couldn't...BTW i  m using Gnome as the windows manager...any idea
>of what's wrong?? Thank you.

Try entering the command xhost + before starting kppp

Carl

------------------------------

From: Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 05:14:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>    Yes it does.  Enter `comp.os.linux.advocacy' in the `Group'
>> field when searching Deja.

> He said comp.os.linux.announce.  Most articles in that group have an
> www.google.com/linux has indexed it though.

   Oops!  I meant to type 'announce' anyway.  I wasn't aware of
that header being on most of the messages, sorry.

--
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
Subject: Re: IDE vs scsi?
Date: 1 Aug 1999 17:17:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner) writes:
> Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
> spake unto us, saying:
>
>>The fastest SCSI and the fastest EIDE drives are really close together.
>
> How can this be when the fastest commonly available SCSI drives are all
> usually 10000rpm drives and the fastest commonly available EIDE drives
> are only 7200?

Good point... In fact, those 10000rpm drives are a lot faster. On the
other hand, they are noisy and - AFAIK - all of them need an extra fan, so
nobody recommends them for use in a desktop computer.

CU
Stefan

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 05:24:36 GMT

Stephen Satchell wrote:
> Also, don't think you can load 27 different distributions.  You need at
> least one partition for each distribution, and each of those partitions
> need to live in the bottom 1GB (or is it 2GB) of the hard drive so it
> boots properly...unless you really like loading systems via floppy.

For fun, I have installed RedHat, Debian, SlackWare, SuSE, Mandrake,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD on one disk. Each has one GB disk space.
All boot and work fine.

The BIOS was made sometime around 1995.

Vilmos

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
http://members.home.net/vilmossoti/resume.html

------------------------------

From: Torsten Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please look at these kernel error messages..!
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:29:30 +0000

Hello,
I get similar messages with my CD-ROM.

If your Linux is fsck'ing the drive on every
boot, the OS is not properly unmounting the
drives.

This can be related to some setup problem,
I think, because when that happened to me,
I resetup Linux and the problem went away.

Has something to do with setting disk
partitions/disk geometry during fdisk'ing
the drive initially.

Later,
Torsten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: was - Re: "serial line is looped back"?; now: ms-chap
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:41:05 -0400

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/14/99
   at 10:48 PM, Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> I need a clue here.

><URL:http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO-18.html>

Thanks, good reference. I've perused it before. No help.

I think I've found the problem, at least on one server. It's using the
ms-chap spec and my pppd isn't configured to handle this.

I've downloaded the patch for this, well actually a rpm which is supposed
to contain the patch. If I'm bold, I'll try to install it.

Does anyone know about the ms-chap thing?

F.

      Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     - insert standard doxastic disclaimers -
     OS/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: netscape and newsgroups
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:01:10 -0400

I would like to do all my internet stuff  (email, news, web) with
netscape which came with SuSE6.1.  I have managed to configure my ppp to
get connected to my ISP. I can access email and web; but when I try to
"Join Discussion Groups..."  the window for the list of discussion
groups opens up and I see at the bottom of it that the list is being
downloaded, but none of the discussion groups is ever explicitly shown
in the window. My ISP does not support linux. I have set up the news
server  (in the preference menu of netscape) as they have suggested for
Win95. I have no problem with enail and web browsing.  Has anyone had a
similar problem? Any advice?

Thanks,
Ramin Sina