  Re: swapon -s: /proc/swaps: No such file or directory (Dieter Rohlfing)

From: Stefan Monnier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 18:50:12 -0500

> [Stefan Monnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
>> I must say that since the /etc/init.d scripts are executables (and
>> are not supposed to be edited) rather than config files, they should
>> arguably not reside in /etc but in /sbin.
> There is that argument to be made -- but even if the start scripts
> shouldn't need to be edited, the runlevel directories with their
> symlinks *are* config "files" of a sort and belong in /etc.  Since they
> are in /etc it makes sense to put init.d there too, just so they're
> close together.

I guess my point of view is biased since my init scripts use init.d but use
a file (/etc/services.conf) instead of symlinks in /etc/rc?.d to specify what
to run when.  The advantage of a file is that you have more flexibility (and
can add comments), especially since in my case this file is sourced by sh, so
it can contain any arbitrary command.  Despite all that, I do use /etc/init.d
rather than /sbin/init.d

> Maybe what really struck me as strange when I saw OSF/1's scheme was
> that they have *subdirectories* of a bin directory, which just ain't
> normal....

My shell is zsh and you can ask it to use PATH even for commands with slashes,
so that `rc3.d/nfs start' would probably find /sbin/rc3.d/nfs and execute it.

        Stefan

------------------------------

From: Nick Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Platypus Web Server
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:58:59 -0700

Fellow Linux users:

Please check out Emmett High School's new RedHat powered web server (FTP
too).

HTTP:
http://206.80.125.121
FTP:
ftp://206.80.125.121

Me and a few fellow students made this site as a class project.  We are
trying
to provide a free public service.  Please check it out if you have time,
any
suggestions (such as file requests) would be helpful.  You may also
upload software which we or our users may find useful in the
ftp://206.80.125.121/upload directory, but please upload in moderation.

Thanks,
Nick Webb
Root User

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Subject: Re: ICQ for Java
Date: 12 Mar 1999 23:59:28 GMT

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:49:01 -0800, William O'Neal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i've been trying like hell to get ICQ for Java working for RH Linux 5.2
>to no avail. i've installed jdk 1.1.7 and icq fires up, but as soon as i
>get to the registration section of the setup utility icq crashes.
>
>does anyone have ....

Hi, try licq or gtkicq. They both work great.

Regards Hans

--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Mar 1999 19:56:20 -0500

John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ummm...not quite... bottom end single processor Alpha servers are about
> the same price as top end Intel dual processor servers - single 533Mhz
> 21164 w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500, dual 500Mhz Pentium III
> w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500... Alpha servers go up in
> performance & price from there, Intel Servers go down in performance and
> price from there...

there *are* quad intel boxen.  they also generally cost more than
$4500.  still, i'd rather have a fast alpha.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Joshua Grauman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux LOCKUP!!
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:54:32 -0800

If the problem is occurring in Win95 and Linux, it is probably hardware.
I've had similar problems after moving computers, usually due to poor
connections. One suggestion someone gave to me that worked was to take
a pencil eraser and use that to clean the contacts of RAM and other
cards,
possible video. Just an idea...

Joshua Grauman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Star Office Very Slow - WP8 Broken
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:59:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alistair Hamilton wrote:
>Hello, folks.
>
>I have two problems that just might be connected.
>
>Star Office 5.0 is VERY slow. It can take up to 15 seconds just to
>re-paint its display after moving the mouse into its window page. All
>of its functions are too lethargic for sensible use.
>
>Corel WP8 does not run at all. All I get is the less-than-helpful
>error message "Segmentation fault". No joke, that is the extent of the
>error message. Not all that helpful!

Use Applixware ... I used to run it on a P5 with 24MB, never had any
complaints and now I am going to upgrade to the glibc version.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Hill)
Subject: Re: STAROFFICE 5.0 FilterUpdate!
Date: 13 Mar 1999 01:04:14 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I also wonder why they won't gzip the .tar file - it's a 64M download,
>and now I have to spend hours on it!

They don't gzip it because the tarfile contains compressed files and
gzipping it would result in a larger file than not.  They say so
somewhere on the website, at the ftp site, or tucked away in the tarfile
itself.

Jim
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/

                  "Visualize world peace...good.
                Now wake up and smell the coffee."

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Audio file library?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:16:06 +0000

Hi
 I know if I looked enough I would find them, but does anyone know of a
library of ".wav" or ".au" sounds?  (like clicks, pops, chimes, bells,
effects for interactive desktops) There are plenty of different desktops
and I have not tried them all, but is seems that desktops like KDE have
support for playing system sounds, but do not have any sound files with
the distribution. I have an old win3.1 set of sounds, but they are
pretty bad. ".au" files seem to play better. (or, at least the two that
I have)
Thanks! -  Jeremy

From: Tom Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bttvgrab
Date: 13 Mar 1999 01:45:18 +0000

Just to follow up my own post, I suspect the volume might just be really
low when using this app. Or maybe it's on S-video when it should be on
tuner. However, I don't know how to change these things!

Thanks.

Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (david grant)
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:11:43 GMT

Judging by the response to this topic, the Linux world seems divided
between those who are used to working with well-established Unix
applications and those of us who are used to graphics based Windows
applications with an easy-to-use GUI interface.

Surely we are not asking too much for easy-to-use (cool?) X-window
interfaces to Unix newsreaders or other widely used applications such
as email clients or fax programs?

Incidentally does anyone know of an X-windows fax program that is
reasonably easy to set up and works. I have tried Hotwire and can't
get it to work properly (although I can establish a link to the remote
fax machine) and HylaFax seems unbelieveably complicated as far as
setting up the modem is concerned. Is there some simpler way of
configuring Hylafax?

David Grant
0nOn Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:05:33 +0000, Neil Durant

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert McConnell)
Subject: Re: Linux server for dos/windoze machines. . .
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:36:29 GMT

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:27:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexey Kakhno)
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:35:38 -0600, Norvell Spearman
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Can someone point me to or give me information about setting up a Linux
>>server to provide thin-client services to dos/windoze machines?  I
>
>there's PCTCP for dos and SAMBA for Win.
>
>Alexey, Russia
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, if he really wants to do it like Citrix, he is talking about
installing X-windows servers on the DOS and Windows workstations and
running the client apps on the Linux box. Seems strange to me, but
maybe someone elso can help him?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

------------------------------

From: Eugene Strulyov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Samba problem need help
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:19:08 GMT

try upgrading samba to the latest version
You can download it from www.samba.org or from your distributor's ftp

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:44:21 +0000

Might be the encryption, yes works for NT.  Are all your MS machines on
the same network and the 95 machines can login but the NT machines
cannot?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralph Baumfalk)
Subject: Any GOPHER-Users around?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 02:21:28 +0100

Hi all,
is someone still using the old but nice Gopher-system?
Ralph

------------------------------

From: "Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux box hardware
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:49:07 -0500

Hi everybody,

I think about buying Celeron 300A CPU and Abit BH6 motherboard and setting
up a linux box on it. (This can be overclocked nicely, right?)

Is this configuration gonna work nice for linux? Will overclocking cause
any problems? What AGP video-card and what sound-card can be recommended?

Thank you.

        Igor'.

------------------------------

From: "MokeKahuna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: switching intellimouse between  Linux/X and NT
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:12:40 GMT

I had the problem initially but got it to work between my NT workstation and
Slackware 3.5 (now up to Slackware 3.6) using the gpm.  Initially my problem
was the -R switch causing some problems when I switched back to NT.  I found
that if I killed the PS/2 mouse on Linux and restarted it, my mouse
capability came back up in NT.  It took me a while but finally just tried
removing the switch (-R was default in 3.5 for PS/2 for some reason).  Until
I figured out removing the switch helped, I relearned all the hot key
functions in NT.

BTW I'm using a simple, stupid manual switch box and not familiar with the
OmniView.  I sure it costs a LOT more than my piddly manual box but I have
no complaints.  It also works in X-windows with no adverse affect to my NT
workstation.

Moses
gus wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Eric Gentry wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:08:52 -0500, "John Danek"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I have an OmniView switching between two systems; NT 4.0 Server and
Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Leblanc)
Subject: Re: App for reading M$ Access database?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:04:42 GMT

I don't know what kind of a budget you have for such things, but I'd
recommend a product called Cold Fusion by Allaire software.  It does a
GREAT job of letting you put databases on the web.  It's available to
Solaris, but not for Linux, yet...  We use it at our university, and
it's REALLY powerful.  I haven't seen anything that can compete with
it at all.
        Greg.

On 10 Mar 1999 11:17:03 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Hinz)
wrote:

>I've been asked to come up with a web server to take data
>from a Micro$loth Access database, massage it a bit, and
>put it onto the web.  I'd like to do it with Linux
>(RedHat 5.2 in this case).  Can someone suggest a good
>app I can use for this purpose?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave Hinz
>Software Development Support
>GE Medical Systems

Greg Leblanc
Network Support Specialist
Concordia University Portland
gleblanc at cu-portland.edu

------------------------------

From: Jacques Chester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Is there any historical *data* on the Linux Kernel Project?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:19:23 +0000

Ayo choombas;

I am currently doing research for a sort
of mini-thesis in economics. I am hoping
to focus on the Linux Kernel Project.

What I need is a source of historical
data about the project: number of programmers,
LOCs, dates, everything and anything.

Is there a central source, or is there a
group of sources? Or is it buried somewhere
in my /usr/src directory? :)

Thanks very much in advance;

JC.

ps - please reply directly by email: I will
post a digest of replies later.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Rohlfing)
Subject: Re: swapon -s: /proc/swaps: No such file or directory
Date: 13 Mar 1999 00:29:29 GMT

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:35:06 -0700, Doug Apel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>P.S.  -- you wouldn't by any chance know anything about making Linux ramdisks
>bigger than 8MB, would you?   Like say 128MB for I/O intensive filesystems?

Add or change the following line to your lilo.conf:
  append = "ramdisk_size=<size_of_your_ramdisk_in_blocks>
where 1 block is 1 KB. For a 128 MB ramdisk make it look like:
  append = "ramdisk_size=131072"

In your boot script (or whatever place your needs fits best) initialize
your ramdisk as usual.

Dieter Rohlfing