Linux-Misc Digest #432, Volume #26               Thu, 30 Nov 00 17:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Need compressed tar file viewer, a la winzip viewer. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Need compressed tar file viewer, a la winzip viewer. (Jan Schaumann)
  apache + php3 + php4 + extensions working simultaneously (Evelio Martinez)
  Re: Virtual mem exhaust problem? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  vim: can't turn on syntax highlighting (Peter Moore)
  urgent help - what does this mean ? ("Patrick Amirian")
  KDE: starting job on specific desktop ((Wm. Randolph Franklin))
  Vmware:  Linux on Win2K or Win2K on Linux? ((Wm. Randolph Franklin))
  Re: Corel Linux VS Redhat 7 (John-Paul Stewart)
  Re: Linux Server Book? (Richard Witt)
  ld -lqt dont work (Dirk Groeneveld)
  Terratec soundcard (cs4624) (Dirk Groeneveld)
  Re: Backup Hard Drive... (Andrey Vlasov)
  Re: urgent help - what does this mean ? (Lori Holder-Webb)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (mark)
  Re: KDE: starting job on specific desktop (Andrew Purugganan)
  The reverse: Win98 sharing ppp with Linux? (Andrew Purugganan)
  Majordomo 1.94.5 closed unsubscribe not working (PiLgRiM)
  Re: ls --color (Zen Sorcerer)
  Burning Issues - 2 IDE CD's (Darwin Mecham)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need compressed tar file viewer, a la winzip viewer.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:15:43 GMT

Ron Reeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there such a program?

> If so where?

> TIA

Both Konqueror and GMC will launch such a program if you click on a
zip or tar or tarball with them.

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:13:00 GMT

* Ron Reeder wrote:
> Is there such a program?

man tar
/list

man mc

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

------------------------------

From: Evelio Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: apache + php3 + php4 + extensions working simultaneously
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:29:51 +0100

Hi!

I have installed apache 1.3.12 and php 4.0.3.pl1 on RH 6.2

I am new in the php world.

How can I make a .php3 extension to be interpreted as a .php extension ?

Do I have to modify apache conf, php conf or both ?

I have made some test with the AddType directive, but they didn't work.

I have taken a look to the php install file  and I have followed the
steps suggested below (***)
(configure , make , make install ),  but still the same result.

If I add the commented line in httpd.conf file, apache  issues a
download window instead of
executing the php3 script.

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php
# AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php3
  AddType application/x-httpd-php  .php
</IfModule>

(***)
USING PHP 3 AND PHP 4 AS CONCURRENT APACHE MODULES

   Recent operating systems provide the ability to perform versioning
and
   scoping. This features make it possible to let PHP 3 and PHP 4 run as

   concurrent modules in one Apache server.

   This feature is known to work on the following platforms:

   - Linux with recent binutils (binutils 2.9.1.0.25 tested)
   - Solaris 2.5 or better
   - FreeBSD (3.2, 4.0 tested)

   To enable it, configure PHP 3 and PHP 4 to use APXS (--with-apxs) and

the
   necessary link extensions (--enable-versioning). Otherwise, all
standard
   installations instructions apply. For example:

                $ ./configure \
                                --with-apxs=/apache/bin/apxs \
                                --enable-versioning \
                                --with-mysql \
                                --enable-track-vars

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Evelio

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Virtual mem exhaust problem?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:43:53 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) wrote:
>>Tradition.  The dd command creates a honking big file, so it doesn't get
>>written to disk immediately unless you force it.

> Which begs a couple of questions.  First, does it make any
> difference at all?  Second, if it makes a difference why would

It does make a difference. The file buffers don't get down to the disk
otherwise, and mkswap has to pick up the disk area, not the buffer
space.

> mkswap or swapon not do it?

I dunno.  There is a lot of hackyness in the swap file mechanism.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Moore)
Subject: vim: can't turn on syntax highlighting
Date: 30 Nov 2000 20:03:08 GMT

Hi. As the subject says--

:syntax on

gives me the error message: Sorry, this command is not implemented.

This is on a system w/ Red Hat 6.2, vim 5.6.11
Any help / ideas would be appreciated.

-Peter

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Amirian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: urgent help - what does this mean ?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:10:50 -0500

Nov 30 13:50:11 arcaf kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Data
Request Error }
Hi and thanks for readin,
can anyone tell me what this means and how to rectify the situation ?
thanks in advance.

Nov 30 13:50:11 somehost kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40
{ UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=58501853, sector=1101545
Nov 30 13:50:11 somehost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0b (hda),
sector 1101545
Nov 30 13:50:15 somehost kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Nov 30 13:50:15 somehost kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40
 UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=58501853, sector=1101545
Nov 30 13:50:15 somehost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0b (hda),
sector 1101545

------------------------------

From: (Wm. Randolph Franklin)  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE: starting job on specific desktop
Date: 30 Nov 2000 20:12:19 -0500

In KDE, is there a way to start a new job's window on a specific
desktop?   I like to say something like

           xterm -desktop 2 &

tho that actual option fails.   I've searched all the docs I can
think of, w/o success.  Thanks.

----
(Wm. Randolph Franklin)    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: (Wm. Randolph Franklin)  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Vmware:  Linux on Win2K or Win2K on Linux?
Date: 30 Nov 2000 20:15:17 -0500

I'd like to use Vmware to run both Windows 2000 Professional
Edition and Linux (SuSE 7).  Which OS should be the base OS, and
which should run as a Vmware client?  I'm thinking that Win2K
should be the base since it supports the peripherals on this Sony
VAIO SR7K (i.link, USB) better than Linux.  However, I'm open to
suggestions.

Thanks.

----

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux VS Redhat 7
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:19:41 GMT

William Pelish wrote:

> I wish to know if anyone here has used Corel Linux Deluxe and if you have
> found any bugs. Also if you have also tried RH 7 and found any difference
> between the too. I am trying to decide which one to use for a server for my
> webhosting.
>
> Will
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don't use Corel Linux.  Corel needs more time to work sort
what should/shouln't be in the distro.  Corel is based on
Debian, however, so I'd recommend that.  I don't like Redhat
myself.

More specifically, Corel seems to be aiming to replace
Windows on the desktop.  They're certainly not targeting the
server market since their bundles usually include games and
productivity apps (WordPerfect, etc.).  You really need a
distribution better suited to a server.  Many folks will
tell you Redhat is fine.  I personally prefer Debian's
package management system.  Whatever you chose is up to you,
however.  Nearly everybody in this NG has strong preferences
for one distro over another.  But the short answer is (and I
can't over-state this) Corel is not really meant for servers
but for home users replacing/supplementing Windows.

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: Richard Witt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Server Book?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:09:34 -0500

Joe wrote:

> I am looking for the best Linux Resource book that would be good to go
> along with the server part of it. I have seen plenty of books that have to
> do with the desktop, but I need it to focus on the server.
>
> I have:
> Redhat 6.2
> Apache
> Using Webmin as the control panel
>
> Any help is help.
> Thank you,
> Joe

        You might want to have a look at:

        Linux Network Servers 24 seven
        by Craig Hunt
        published by Sybex

        Good Luck,
                Richard
--
<< "I can learn to resist anything but temptation." >>
-- Neil Peart

---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---
            Richard Witt                   Phone:  (330) 672-0096
Dept. of Physics, Kent State University    Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ld -lqt dont work
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:25:06 +0100

Hi!

I have following (weird) problem:
Building mozilla m18 fails becaues ld can't find -lqt. That's correct,
ldconfig -v doesnt show a libqt.so but a libqt.2.so and a libqt.2.2.so
Now comes the weird part:
Both libqt.2.so and libqt.2.2.so are links to libqt.2.2.1.so They all
reside in /usr/qt/lib, which is enlisted in /etc/ld.so.conf. In this very
directory, there is a libqt.so as well. Its a link like the others, same
owner, same permissions. But it does not appear in ldconfig -v.

Why the freak not?

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Terratec soundcard (cs4624)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:29:38 +0100

Hi!

I have a Terratec XFire1024 with a cs4624-chipset. Does anyone know whether
there's a way to make it work? There are several sound kernel modules I can
successfully modprobe, but "cat /dev/sndstat" never shows anything.
I'd hate to use onboard sound.

Thanx, Dirk

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:37:03 GMT

Jeffrey,

it depends what kind data you have.

A. If your data is very important to you it still will a tape backup as
1. You should keep several copies in different physical places for cases
like Fire.
2. Solution with hot swapable disks here acceptable but become very
expensive (4 disks to keep same copy)
3. Advantage of the tape backup is that you can make backup over network for
many computers on one drive..
4. Use UPS as sudden power lost can bring unrecoverable lost. In one second
your business can stop to exist.

B. Data is less important
1. Mirror solution - software keeps two copy of data on the 2/3 disks. Fail
one of them you still running on another. In case of hot swapable you just
replace failed disk and sync it with running disk.
2. If you have huge data disk space mirror become costly and there is limits
for number of disks which you can physically connect to computer. In this
case you can switch to RAID5 - it require at least 3 disks. Software spread
data around the disks and add some information for case of one failed disk.
If disk fail you still continue run system and in case of hot swap disks you
can replace disk and sync without shutdown of the system.

C. You can use dump backup utility. And run it in incremental backup - it
will decrease time needed for backup as it will "refresh" only changed
files.

D. To make exact copy of the disk in Linux just use "dd" command but
remember that disks preferably should be same size or new should be bigger
(in this case you will lost some space, but it still can be used for another
purpose) - it will analogue of Ghost solution and it can be run from floppy
as well.

E. There is not too expensive and with big capacity (to 50 GB) tape drives.
Which is pretty quick as well.

F. Check, may be CDR or CDRW can be a good solution for your case.

NOTE: DISK solution give in case RAID systems stability and you can continue
to work without stop (Recovery time = 00:00. In case of just copying of data
to another disk you get fast recovery time (from few minutes to days in case
huge disk space). TAPE DRIVE solution can be much cheaper in case of big
network with many computers but recovery time longer, although there is some
very expensive and very fast solutions based on TAPE drives which comparable
with disk solutions.

PS. Still decision based on amount of money which you'd like to spend for
backup system.
For serious business recommended: UPS+RAID5|MIRROR+TAPEDRIVE

Andrey

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: urgent help - what does this mean ?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:54:36 -0600

Bad drive.

Try running fsck on the drive.  See what turns up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:02:05 +0000

In article <NHfV5.9533$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, the_blur wrote:
>> You might start by offering some artwork to the people at Mandrake. Nice
>> OS. Terrible artwork.
>
>Do you know how receptive they are to this sort of thing? I came here first
>because I wanted to get a feel for your reaction in general, I think I got
>away fairly unscathed. I'm not worse for wear. But how do I do it? Do I just
>send along pics? or maybe set up a website they can check out?

Yes, just send along pics.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: KDE: starting job on specific desktop
Date: 30 Nov 2000 20:55:57 GMT

(Wm. Randolph Franklin) ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ In KDE, is there a way to start a new job's window on a specific
[ desktop?   I like to say something like

[          xterm -desktop 2 &

[ tho that actual option fails.   I've searched all the docs I can
[ think of, w/o success.  Thanks.

until u get a better answer, why not play with .xdefaults in your home
(see if specifying the geometry parameter works, i believe it does
regardless of window manager.)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: The reverse: Win98 sharing ppp with Linux?
Date: 30 Nov 2000 21:08:25 GMT

i used to have my Linux act as the gateway but circumstance have forced
me to use my blasted Win98 box as the gateway. Is there a HOWTO on this?
I would appreciate any pointers or tips.

From: PiLgRiM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:30:07 -0000

Hi everyone...

I'm trying to get a closed unsubscribe policy to work.  Even though I have
subscribe set to close, or even close+confirm, it doesn't work.  The user
can just unsubscribe him/herself.  There are some lists which I want to be
closed so that the user cannot unsubscribe.  Subscribe is working in the
close and close+confirm manner, but not unsubscribe.  I want to maintain
the lists myself basically, and not have a user be able to move on or off
the list.  Thanks in advance...

Khanh Tran
Network Operations
Westlands Building
Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708-5999

From: Zen Sorcerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ls --color
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:30:10 -0000

I really wish someone would update the colorls HOWTO...

colorls is now handled in /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh for those of you who
are running the bash shell. And /etc/profile.d/colorls.csh for csh.

Zen

From: Darwin Mecham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Burning Issues - 2 IDE CD's
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:39:32 -0700

I'm running Mandrake 7.1 and have 2 IDE cdroms , one HP burner and
the other just a reader.

I have an adaptec scsi card installed...and =

[mysystem] cdrecord -scanbus returns the following:

Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J=F6rg
Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST34520N        ' '1487' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) 'iomega  ' 'jaz 1GB         ' 'H.72' Removable Disk
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

Shows only the true scsi controller not the psuedo one that should be
loaded
if the ide-scsi module was loading correctly.

I've had it working before, but it ceased to function - don't know why.

/etc/conf.modules looks like so:

alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias block-major-11 scsi_hostadapter
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ide-scsi
post-install usb-storage modprobe usbkbd; modprobe keybdev
alias eth0 3c59x
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
pre-install plip modprobe parport_pc ; echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq
post-install supermount modprobe scsi_hostadapter ; modprobe
scsi_hostadapter1
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=3D1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=3D0x388
options sb io=3D0x220 irq=3D5 dma=3D1 dma16=3D5 mpu_io=3D0x330

What have I missed ???

TTFN ~ Darwin