From: Stuart Miles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrade RPM in Redhat Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:55:18 +0000

Toolman wrote:

> upgrade RPM.  This is where I'm lost.  I can't use the current RPM to
> upgrade to the new one, right?

Wrong

--
Stuart Miles                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Alenia Marconi Systems               Phone: +44 1276 63311

Views expressed are mine and not those of Alenia Marconi Systems

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: pager instead of paperclip for windows maker?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:56:42 GMT

In article <7cjeq9$3ku$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There is no pager included with WindowMaker, and according to the FAQ, there
> are no plans to do so.        Since WindowMaker is GNOME compliant though, you
can
> use the GNOME pager with it, this is what I'm doing.  Of course you hvae to
> have GNOME installed with it.

Would it be posible to have the gnome pager work but *not* have any of the
other gnome "stuff"  (*nothing* against gnome <or kde for that matter> but i
am just used to/happy with plain ole' windows maker <well with the pager
exception>)

thank you.

           -Gaiko

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Exporting Windows filesystem for Linux...
Date: 16 Mar 1999 15:10:03 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:35:23 GMT, Skull_One <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On my machine with RH 5.1, I can't get long filenames when I mount the Win95
>hard disk. Is there a way to do so? A direct e-mail would be most convenient.

In case nobody else has e-mailed you or you've otherwise figured it out:

mount -t vfat

:-)

[rest snipped]

----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tiger)
Subject: Re: Help on Upgrading to kernel 2.2.3
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:38:47 GMT

Ryan Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi,
> I have compiled the kernel 2.2.3 with support for loadable modules.
>After I have done that, I installed modutil 2.1.121. Problem is, I still
>cannot load my modules at all. I can manually load the module for some
>of my file systems. But my printer refuses to work. It isn't even
>detected when I probe for one using the printer configuration tool
>provided in RedHat 5.2.  The README files weren't very useful because
>the configuration files it tells me to alter does not exist. Perhaps
>there is a typo error somewhere.  Help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>Ryan

 Hi Ryan;
 Have you done this after you compiled your new 2.2.3 kernel:

 Create by hand a new file in /lib/modules/2.2.3/.rhkmvtag
 assume that 2.2.3 is where you left the new modules at.
 The .rhkmvtag should contain the kernel version, and with
 kernel 2.2.3 you must do so by:

 cat /proc/version > /lib/modules/2.2.3/.rhkmvtag

 At least for 5.2, when linux boots up, the start up script will match
 the kernel version with those it can find in the
 /lib/modules/*/.rhkmvtag files.  When it finds a match, it will redo
 the symlink /lib/modules/preferred to that directory. But 2.2.3 seems
 having some trouble with that...

 If the modules are installed into a different directory than
 your existing modules, you may need to do a few more things
 Take a look at /etc/rc/rc.sysinit and see how it sets a
 symlink from /lib/modules/preferred to the directory associated
 with the kernel you've actually booted).

 Above info was I collected from other postings.
 Good luck and let me know how you finally solve the problem.

 Regards

--

                                      ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
                          \           `9_ 9  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)

------------------------------

From: "David J. Novak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux LOCKUP!!
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:56:16 -0600

Thanks for the help.  After several hours (and more than a little cursing) I
discovered that when I tried to shut down in an orderly fashion, Linux would
hang while it was trying to shut down Samba services.  I Also noticed under
95 that my network card had a (!) next to it in the system folder thing.  So
I yanked the network card, and haven't had a problem since!

One of these days, when I get some time, I'm going to run some diagnostics
on the card to see if it was just poorly seated or if it's really beyond
saving.

  David

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (XU)
Crossposted-To:
comp.databases.oracle.server,relcom.comp.dbms.oracle,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: WebDB on Linux
Date: 16 Mar 1999 16:11:57 GMT

No...
WebDB CAN use another listener (though it has its own). There is oracle
web application server for linux, and it can be used as webdb's listener.
The reason why you can't install webdb for linux now is that, oracle has
yet to provide a 'for linux' binary package of webdb installation (which
they have done for solaris and NT).

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: hi,
: there're only two version of webdb on oracle technet is because they only have
: the listeners for solaris and nt.  so in theory, you should be able to install
: webdb on linux if you don't want the listener intalled?  right?
: khai

: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   Nathan Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > I didn't think WebDB was out for Linux?  I was thinking it was only Win NT and
: > Solaris
: >
: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: >
: > > hi everyone, i'm trying to install WebDB on a Linux (RedHat 5.2 with kernel
: > > 2.2.2) box with Oracle 8.0.5 on it.  Has anyone installed WebDB on Linux?
: Is
: > > there a way that I can have a little howto on how to install WebDB on Linux?
: > > please help! khai
: > >
: > > -----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------

From: "Denbroeder, Ernst (EXCHANGE:BVW:9111)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:12:59 -0500

This isn't the Bob Tennent I knew back in Uxbridge now is it???  :)

Ernst.

------------------------------

From: "Nadeem Ahmed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More 3c905b
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:17:32 -0500

I dont know about Slackware linux (I am a Newbie from NT world) but I am
using Redhat 5.1 on a 3c905b card with the 3c59x module and it works fine
with no errors. The same machine has WinNT on it (dual boot). No problems on
that to.
Check the following site for info on linux network drivers and 3com cards.
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

Hope this helps.
Nadeem

------------------------------

From: "Mattias Gustafsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86  -- getting???
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:24:24 +0100

Kinda depends on what distribution u are running. For example redhat is
glibc based, slackware is libc based. Check doc for your box. I think
3.3.3.1 is out use that one instead of 3.3.3.

Gl
///Mattias

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~)
Subject: Problems? with tar and vfat partitions
Date: 16 Mar 1999 17:49:11 GMT

Hi Folks,

    I bought a Tandberg NS20 so I could back up my system.
So far, so good.  I tried backing up the vfat partition
where W98 lives and got bunches of errors about shortened
files, padding with 0's.  This was on large and small files
and they weren't shortcuts.  Is this a tar problem? Tape
problem?  Chair/keyboard interface problem?

System:  RH5.1 + 2.0.36 kernel + some errata fixes
         PII 350MHz, Buslogic 950, IBM 4.3G UW disk, Quantum
         4.3G UN disk, Toshiba 32X CDROM, 64M ram, etc.

command: tar -cvf /dev/st0 /mnt/c:

Thanks, Chirs

--
 Chris Richmond         |     Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Intel, Corp. FM5-97    |     Phone: (916)-356-6470

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (joseph_a_philbrook__iii)
Subject: Re: Bash and setuid
Date: 16 Mar 1999 18:23:27 GMT

On 14 Mar 1999  Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

 >> you can't setuid root a bash script.  if you must, make
 >> a setuid C wrapper program which calls the script.

Please pardon my intrusion into this discussion, but THIS concept interests
me...  But if I understand this, then when you setuid a program you cause
this program to run with root permisions even though invoked by regular
user... You said you can't suid a bash script, but can suid a c wrapper that
calls the script. By this I gather that the said user id of that wrapper
would also apply to child processes of the setuid'd wrapper...

So it would seem that if I want to let a user login run the ppp-go and
ppp-off scripts that come with slackware 3.5 distribution, I don't have to
find each and every security measure I would need to defeat to accomplish
that. All I would have to do is give the user access to a setsuid'd wrapper
that calls them, and all the processes called by the scripts will think root
is calling them... This is promising because the said root permisions would
be limited to what these scripts already do if root logs in, calls them, and
exits, except that the wrapper could itself be called from a script couldn't
it???

So I'm wondering, can root setuid a wrapper, and then use normal group
permision settings on the wrapper itself to controll who can run the setuid
wrapper????

thanking you in advance

        -^-   -^-
        <?>   <?>    Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
            ^
          \___/      < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >

------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:07:13 +0000

I'd have to agree with some, though not all, the things you say. I'd agree
that movings graphics drivers to ring 0 was a case of trying to impress at
the risk of causing major lock-ups and headaches in future. I'd also have to
agree that it's not possible to carry out all maintenence tasks from the
command prompt, and that this is a serious shortcomming. It's also worth
saying that OS/390, OS/400, and most varieties of Unix offer a better server
platform than NT (albeit, at a higher up-front cost, even if at a comparable
long-term cost). However, I'm in favour of using a GUI for day-to-day admin ?
that's where we differ!

Harry

(BTW sorry for changing my identity, but I'm getting sick of Compuserve's
Usenet gateway.)

From: Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: High Resolution Timer
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:56:06 GMT

I'm trying to run VMware and it says that /dev/rtc does not support the
high resolution timer.  How do I enable the high res timer in /dev/rtc?
I'm running 2.2.1-ac6 on RH 5.[12]

------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MCSE preparation exams
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:11:37 +0000

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Is this what's known as a sweeping statement? MCSEs are just a way of
telling employers what they're getting. Instead of Linux people wingeing
about MCSEs, why don't they set up their own certification programmes?
After all, certification is becoming more and more widespread in this
indstry (and quite rightly too).

Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: Files larger than 2 GB on Intel/Linux
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:55:12 GMT

On 10 Mar 1999 16:08:53 -0800 Gary Momarison ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| If you're brave, try  ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/
|
| http://www.sas.com/standards/large.file/ might interest you too.

Looks like quite an ugly interface to me.  They should have mapped
the standard API to a 64-bit ABI directly.

What I'd like to see is a 64-bit Linux made by letting the compiler
emulate 64-bits as it does now for (long long) but do it for (long).

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

From: Peter Granroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: debian ftp install?
Date: 16 Mar 1999 17:07:22 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefano Ghirlanda) writes:

> Hi,
> I would like to install debian on a machine with ftp access (and a debian
> mirror very close by). I am used to install redhat via ftp and I find it
> good way. However, it seems from the docs I read that this option is not
> available when installing debian, am I wrong?
> Thanks for your help
> Stefano

It's perfectly possible to install Debian via ftp. I did it with Hamm,
and should not be impossible to do with Slink (current stable release)
either.

Basically what you have to do is to download the root, rescue and base
disk images from the debian mirror, and make the floppies (9 in total
IIRC), then install the base system from these floppies. then point
apt/dselect (choose the apt method in dselect, as explained in the
second link below) to the debian ftp mirror and start installing the
packages you want.

(more complete installation instructions for Debian slink can be found
at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.html and
   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/dselect-beginner.html)

HTH
--
==================================
+         Peter Granroth         +

------------------------------

From: "Bas Cancrinus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux-supported hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:11:43 +0100

As a newcomer to Linux I read Linux-related newsgroups and surf
Linux-related sites for a month or two. It strikes me that a lot of this
information consists of hardware support-documents, and lists of hardware
that is or will be supported by the Linux OS.

The problem is that this information is spread all over the net without any
structure. Due to the growing popularity of Linux the amount of hardware
supported by Linux is growing fast. If hardware-support keeps increasing at
the current speed then the relevant information on the net will be very hard
to find or not to find by Linux-users soon.

I think this can be prevented by building an online database which contains
all Linux-supported hardware-devices. If 2 or more Linux-distributors
guarantee support for the devices stored in that database a
hardware-standard can be established.

I think this solution has a lot of positive side-effects:
1. Manufacturers can sell their devices with statements and/or logos on the
box like: 'Linux x.x.x supported';
2. It is clear to customers what devices are supported by what
Linux-distributor.

Of course there is also a negative side effect:
The time between a hardware-solution is developed and the moment it is added
to the database may be long. Especially when each item added to the database
has to be submitted to a complete quality-control procedure.

The past teaches us that the popularity of a PC-OS is determined by it's
hardware support. I realize that the solution above takes a lot of money and
energy to provide, but I also realize that it is the only way to guarantee
the absolute victory of Linux. Distributors: unite your forces!!