Linux-Misc Digest #487, Volume #19               Wed, 17 Mar 99 08:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Stupid Newbie tricks (Add this to list) (Hans Wolters)
  Re: email client advice and question (Andy Repton)
  Re: signal 11 during mandrake install (Student)
  LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!! (Benjamin HERZOG)
  Samba Printer Problem (Brent Warkentin)
  Re: BRU Back Up Software (Shane Steven Sturrock)
  Re: want to create an exec zip archive for dos (John Thompson)
  Re: Sharing swap partition? (John Thompson)
  Re: Help on Upgrading to kernel 2.2.3 (Ryan Ho)
  Re: CR/LF Question (Thomas)
  Re: Version of gcc? (postmaster)
  Re: Version of gcc? (postmaster)
  Re: Version of gcc? (postmaster)
  Re: downloaded some SUSE disk sets , so how do i install them (Andre Hinrichs)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows (doug)
  Re: Is trn the best (David M. Cook)
  Re: LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!! (Neil Cherry)
  Re: Opinions Needed for New App Planning (jik-)
  Re: Security/Password Questions (Paul Lemmens)
  Re: Kernel upgrade -> hosed console login ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Subject: Re: Stupid Newbie tricks (Add this to list)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 10:36:41 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:32:50 +0100, Per Björklund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snap]

>And, with the same computer, I wanted to compile a new kernel (1.2.13)..
>But it gave me a message sayng virtual memory exhausted.. and.. since I
>didn't have a swappartition (read above.. ;), and I didn't know about
>swapfiles under Linux., I substitued all /dev/hda1 to /dev/fd0 in the
>instructions about swappartitions ;) .. and. . It worked.. but
>slooooow.. ;)..

I'm sure that you have folks around which would use there cdwriter too :-)

Chau Hans

--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Repton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: email client advice and question
Date: 17 Mar 1999 09:15:23 GMT

On 16 Mar 1999 18:06:47 PST, Craig Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>afaik, 'inc' just reads the local mail spool.  Which errors are you
>getting?
>
>No errors, just the standard "no new mail" message.  However, I can
>immediately telnet to my server and see plenty of mail waiting to be dl'd.

EXMH does indeed have multiple personalities (I added it!). If the mail
is still on your server then it hasn't been fetched. inc in itself
doesn't cause fetchmail to be run, that is done separately, usually via
cron. How exactly are you running fetchmail?

>>I believe fetchmail just forwards your mail to your local mta by default.
>Do
>>you have sendmail running?
>
>Yes.  One other thing that may help is that EXMH is not even getting any
>systems messages sent back to me at craig@localhost.  I only see those using
>PINE.  Don't know if this means anything.

Where are the systems messages being delivered? What 'incorporate mail'
preference are you using? There are many places it could be wrong, I
need more details!

You may find that the exmh mailing list is a better place to get help than
the news group. (send subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED])

--
Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Student)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: signal 11 during mandrake install
Date: 17 Mar 1999 11:35:21 GMT

Jason Rotunno ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) tried to convey the following message:
: anyone ever get a signal 11 during a mandrake or redhat install?  i'm
: trying to install mandrake 5.3.  i boot up off the cdrom, use fdisk to
: create 3 partitions (swap, /, and /home), select where i want to mount
: what, tell it to format the drives, select which packages to install then
: i get an error 11 and says the installation has prematurely terminated and
: to reboot.

Sorry for making your day suck, but you probably have some bad (broken)
hardware.

Read http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11

for more information

Greetings,
der Joachim
--
Computional linguistics student at Tilburg University,
The Netherlands

A true hunter weeps at a merciless kill (The God Machine)

------------------------------

From: Benjamin HERZOG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!!
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:42:26 +0100

Hello ,

I am runing Linux Red Hat 5.1 (Kernel 2.0.34).
I have got two hard drives (hda -master- with msdos; and hdb -slave-
with linux),  and i can boot Linux on /dev/hdb1 with a floppy via LILO.
I once had a problem with a floppy, and i would like to boot linux with
LILO installed on hd.

When i boot without floppy, Win95 is starting (grrr !!!).

So, my idea is to rejump hdb as the master (and hda as the slave), and
try to install LILO there, without any microsoft system on the hd !
So, i configured /etc/lilo.conf to do so (here is an excerpt of the
file):

boot = /dev/hdb
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hdb1

I runed fdisk so that /dev/hdb1 is bootable, and i rejumped hdb=master
(physically).

Then reboot, ....
it starts, and when LILO tries to display the prompt, it only displays
the two letters:

LI

and then i have to reboot !

So, i put my floppy in, and reboot (remember that now, hdb is the
master).
What a surprise !  The floppy doesn't work !  LILO starts, kernel
decompacting etc.
But i get the message:
"Unable to open initial console"

I don't know if the two problems are linked (with and without floppy),
but they are both getting on my nerves   :-(

Please, help me !!!!

Benjamin HERZOG
Using X11, Linux 2.0.34
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Brent Warkentin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba Printer Problem
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:53:32 GMT

==============074A7DCA6770A18FCD9D4A76

I am trying to set up a Samba printer with no luck.  I can create a
drive share and access it from the Win 98 machine.  I have followed the
printer set up and can see the printer share in  Win 98.  I set up the
printer in Win 98 using the correct printer driver but when I print I
get nothing happening.  I have tried setting up a different spool area
etc. with no luck.  Any suggestions as to where I should look?

Thanks,

Brent Warkentin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============074A7DCA6770A18FCD9D4A76

begin:          vcard
fn:             Brent  Warkentin
n:              Warkentin;Brent
org:            Durham Instruments
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Applications Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shane Steven Sturrock)
Subject: Re: BRU Back Up Software
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:54:06 +0000

On 16 Mar 1999 23:40:35 GMT, Alan Fried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried) wrote:
>
>As I said earlier it worked but I can only access the drive if I boot
>with the cartridge in the syjet and the drive on.
>
>If I boot without the syjet turned on, I am unable to mount the drive.
>
>Is there an explanation for this?

Is it a SCSI drive?  My JAZ drive is and if I boot the machine with the drive
off then the machine won't see the drive.  I can boot with the drive on but
no cartridge in there and it complains about not being able to read the media
but at least the drive is initialised and it mounts any disc I put in.

If your drive is a parallel port one you may need to inmod the ppa module
or whichever one actually runs your drive before it will be recognised.

--
Dr. Shane Sturrock - http://nova.bru.ed.ac.uk/~sss
Linux, a better WinNT than WinNT

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: want to create an exec zip archive for dos
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:26:42 -0600

Darren Edgerton wrote:

>     i need to email files to users with dos/win pc's
>
>     i want to create a selef extracting archive so that the end user only
> has to run the file
>     that i send them in order to extract the real file.
>
>     i have found the utility 'zip' which creates a zip file compatible with
> PKZIP, and there is
>     also a 'unzipsfx' file which can be prepended to create a sleef
> extracting arch, but this
>     file cannot be unzipped on a dos pc.
>
>     is there a utility like zip2exe that will create a dos compatible
> executable from a linux machine ?

IIRC, the DOS version of InfoZip (the same as linux
zip/unzip) includes a self-extractor stub that you simply
pre-pend to the archive.  Ie, in DOS you'd create the
archive, then "copy stub.exe+archive.zip archive.exe" to
create a self-extracting archive.  If you can find the DOS
self-extractor stub this should also be possible in linux.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing swap partition?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:30:20 -0600

Tim Williams wrote:

> I don't have Linux yet,  but am planning on it. Is there a way to
> share a linux swap partition and OS/2's SWAPPER.DAT file?

I don't believe so.  The OS/2 "SWAPPER.DAT" relies on a file
system but the linux swap partition doesn't.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Ryan Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on Upgrading to kernel 2.2.3
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:58:56 +0800

Hi Tiger,

I did what you suggested and it worked. I could load my modules, but it
didn't solve my printer problem though. I had to add a few lines to
etc/conf.modules because the parport_probe.o module just couldn't
autoprobe
the parallel port correctly. In the end I had to specify the irq and the
IO
base address myself, and it worked! Thanx for your help and also to all
those who gave me other suggestions. It was really great for the
learning
process.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:09:02 +0100
From: Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: CR/LF Question

Andi Vontobel wrote:

> dos2ux (or probably dos2unix) is solving your problem
>
> Andy
>
> Stressed wrote:
> >
> > If I get a script file from the net using a DOS or Win9x machine, how can I
> > get it into Linux so that I can use it. The CR/LF problem produces nothing
> > but errors on scripts, and unreadable text sometimes.

If not, a
  tr -d '\010'  < inputfile  > outputfile
should do also.
It just cuts off all octal 010.(=LF)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:17:59 +0800
From: postmaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Version of gcc?

you did not mention which kernel you're using, but if it is 2.0.36,
which comes with redhat 5.2, 3c590b is not supported.  go to
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-12.html
for the network cards supported.

for your question, gcc -v or gcc --version

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:20:18 +0800
From: postmaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help

sorry for the typo, it should be 3c905b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:22:33 +0800
From: postmaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Andre Hinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: downloaded some SUSE disk sets , so how do i install them
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:25:08 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi there
>
>         i've downloaded a couple of the disksets from suse
>         ftp site
>
>         a1
>         ap1
>         ap2
>         beo1
>         contents
>         d1
>         d2
>         x1
>
>         they are big so itll take a while to get them all, anyway  how do i
> install them  i dont see a setup or install routine?

You can install rpm-Packages with rpm:
rpm -i --force filename

You can check whether you already installed the package (an older one):
rpm -q package
The package name is without suffix .rpm and without version number.

For more information see manual pages for rpm.

Hope this helps

Andre

------------------------------

From: doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:36:12 -0500

Nexus 6 wrote:

> Would the hacker world accept Windows better if all of the below came to
> pass:
> 1. open source
> 2. 50-75% drop in price
> 3. doesnt crash all the time
>
> n6

well, open source to me means free, so if you had #1
then #2 would be 100% drop in price (or, _no cost_).
and if you had #1, eventually you'd get #3, becuase
some non-microsoft people would probably fix what's wrong.
I use Win98 because some programs I like only run on Win98,
I use Linux to learn about OS system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Is trn the best
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:05:24 GMT

On 15 Mar 1999 17:35:57 GMT, Wlmet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>However, it takes forever to get the overview files.  HOw can I fix this
>problem?  What is the best text based newsreader if not trn?

I suggest slrn.  It comes with most distributions.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Re: LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!!
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:39:14 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:42:26 +0100, Benjamin HERZOG wrote:
>Hello ,
>
>I am runing Linux Red Hat 5.1 (Kernel 2.0.34).
>I have got two hard drives (hda -master- with msdos; and hdb -slave-
>with linux),  and i can boot Linux on /dev/hdb1 with a floppy via LILO.
>I once had a problem with a floppy, and i would like to boot linux with
>LILO installed on hd.
>
>When i boot without floppy, Win95 is starting (grrr !!!).
>
>So, my idea is to rejump hdb as the master (and hda as the slave), and
>try to install LILO there, without any microsoft system on the hd !
>So, i configured /etc/lilo.conf to do so (here is an excerpt of the
>file):
>
>boot = /dev/hdb
>image=/vmlinuz
>label=linux
>root=/dev/hdb1
>
>I runed fdisk so that /dev/hdb1 is bootable, and i rejumped hdb=master
>(physically).
>
>Then reboot, ....
>it starts, and when LILO tries to display the prompt, it only displays
>the two letters:
>
>LI

If your running a SCSI disk I know you need to add a line in lilo.conf
with just 'linear' on it or do a lilo -l. Might help here, see the man
page.

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 02:03:24 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opinions Needed for New App Planning

Would Java cause you, as a Linux
> user, to shy away?

I for one would likely not even try it if it was written in Java.

------------------------------

From: Paul Lemmens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Security/Password Questions
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:48:26 +0100

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Stressed wrote:

 >NOTE: I am NOT using shadowing to my knowledge, (unless some sort is
 >implemented by default). This is a straightforward RHL 5.2 install with no
 >bells, buzzers or whistles. Just studying security before I put my thingies
I'd install shadowing anyway. First check if it's not already done. If a
file /etc/shadow exists, then you're already shadowing the passwd file. If
not, under RH5, shadowing can be enabled by a pwconv. This updates
everything and the pam-stuff RH uses is automatically updated/switched to
shadowing. I'd really do this, shadowing is basic linux security.

 >overwritten. Hence, upon reboot, I could not log into my own system without
 >repair :-)
Reboot again in runlevel 1 (on the lilo prompt: linux single), this
enables you to login without password and edit the passwd file (remove all
passwords), reboot normally, login without password and create a new
passwd with the command passwd.

Paul Lemmens            Use the Force          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobile:                Read the Source     www.student.kun.nl/paul.lemmens

"That young girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic
life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to
avoid meeting." (The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Marvin the
Paranoid Android)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade -> hosed console login
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:05:59 GMT

David Guertin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my Red Hat 5.2 system from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.3.
> But when I switch to a virtual console (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2), and try to
> log in there, I don't get a password prompt.  After entering the user
> name, I just keep getting the login prompt back again.

Something could be sick in the PAM (authentication) setup.
Boot single user and examine the logs in /var/log to see what errors
login is kicking out