Linux-Misc Digest #487, Volume #25               Fri, 18 Aug 00 13:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Ox10 error (Leonard Evens)
  Re: New Palmtop running Linux! ("Crimperman")
  Linux crash - bad CPU or disk? (Mark Giesbrecht)
  Re: job for you (peterG)
  Prompt path... (Julian Cook)
  Help: Probme with Modem and Video Mode in new Kernel  ("JP")
  print server over a serial link ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Kernel challenge (Hauke Zuehl)
  Re: Linux crash - bad CPU or disk? (Art Haas)
  Re: Linux crash - bad CPU or disk? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Linux crash - bad CPU or disk? ("ScrewLoose")
  Re: Booting from a different kernel image (Jonathan)
  Re: Help: Probme with Modem and Video Mode in new Kernel ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: newsgroup reader??? (gfarris)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Does cdrecord really work with IDE CD-R?? (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Linux on AMD (alex)
  Re: Hard Drive is Lieing. (alex)
  How do you determine the job number from lpr? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Thomas Dickey)
  Re: Prompt path... (Dances With Crows)

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ox10 error
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:37:35 -0500

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:54:06 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
> >A computer running VALinux 6.0 (which is essentially RedHat 6.0)
> >encountered problems with its root partition.  It hung and upon
> >rebooting, it required manual fixing of the file system for /dev/hada2.
> >But even after fixing it did not function properly with read errors
> >reported to the console.   After trying a variety of measures, we
> >reinstalled the OS from the VALinux CD.  That appeared to go
> >successfully, but afterwards the machine would not boot from the hard
> >disk, reporting an error 0X10 after lilo claimed it was booting Linux.
> >Apparently the machine can be booted from the boot floppy made during
> >installation, but we have not tried to see if everything worked
> >properly.   We did try reinstalling lilo without effect.  I'm sure I've
> >seen a description of exactly this problem, but I can't recall what the
> >resolution was.  Presumably it is a problem with the hard disk, but I
> >would still like to know more if possible.
>
> Yep, LILO's documentation says that error 0x10 means "CRC error -- a
> media error has been detected."  This is a bad sign, and often means
> that the disk is going south.  The fact that you can boot from the
> floppy and not the drive is telling here.
>
> If you're not quite convinced, boot from Tom's Rootboot or a similar
> rescue system, and try doing this:
>   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=4096
> If the command aborts at any time, you've most likely got a partially
> br0ken hard disk.  You can *try* and recover by doing "mke2fs -c" or
> badblocks on all the partitions and reinstalling.... sorry this had to
> happen to you.
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> -----------------------------/           --Henry Spencer

Thanks.  I did check the Lilo User's Guide and discovered as you
pointed out that most likely the BIOS was telling me it had encountered
a CRC error.   I had already tried running badblocks, both from
a rescue disk where it produced a segmentation error and from the
running system where it produced 10 or more screenfuls of errors
at the console and nothing in the output file.

I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else which could be
the source of the problem.  We have already put in motion the process
of getting a replacement disk.   I've replaced disks before and
while it is a pain, we are adequately backed up, so it shouldn't
be too much of a problem.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Crimperman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New Palmtop running Linux!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:12:44 +0100

Tim Haynes wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes) writes:
>
>> They run on a 66MHz 32 Bit NEC VR4181 MIPS processor and apparently a
>> Linux app compiled for MIPS (?) should run on it.
>>
>> http://www.agendacomputing.com
>
>Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced it's for me. (Why the copious
>references to Outlook amongst the `PC requirements' section? What about
us
>linux *users*?)

What indeed?. The FAQs say it will interface to any PC running Linux or
Windo$e, but it seems the bundled software only has LookOut support. I
agree LookOut support will be important for the survival of the product
(you may as well support the one lots of people seems to use) but why
restrict it to that alone?

>Cradle looks a bit like a dead-squid product from the Dim Sum range
that I
>saw in a restaurant the other Saturday.

white one's a bit odd but the blue one they have on the accessories page
looks okay. The keyboard certainly looks better than the fold up one
they have for Palm. Not bad price though - it'll probably be a $ for £
swap if it gets sold here.

Crimperman

------------------------------

From: Mark Giesbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Linux crash - bad CPU or disk?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:25:29 -0600

Hey all,

I've got a 3 month old installation of Mandrake 7.0 (2.2.14) on a PII
233 with an 8.4GB disk.  In the last couple of days, the system has
frozen solid, forcing a hard reboot.

Is this indicative of a bad cpu?  Scrolling through Netscape, untaring a
file, etc.  Any event seems to bung it up.  I've not added any new
software or done any system updates in the last three months.  I'm
fearful that it's the disk, as any attempt to copy the contents of my
home partition (/dev/hdc3) to another disk causes a freeze.

I have Win95 on my first disk, and have been unable to cause it to
freeze, no matter what.

Any ideas, thoughts, or chunks of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

--
Mark Giesbrecht, M.Sc.
GIS Programmer/Analyst

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peterG)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.ole,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
Subject: Re: job for you
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:29:07 GMT

Yeah, is that after he's paid his phone bill :-)

------------------------------

From: Julian Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Prompt path...
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:35:45 -0400

Hi folks,..
I just installed successfully Red Hat Linux 6.1and it's working like a
charm,
except for one small problem, the prompt isn't showing the path.
As you may have guessed I am not a Linux guru, I only use it to power
PERL,
which I am deeply immersing myself in.

Whenever I switch directories,..like cd abc/
then the prompt shows
sherab: abc
and if I switch to another directory like cd def/
then the prompt shows
sherab: def

What setting do I need to change to get this to show as
sherab: abc/def

I would love the full path name instead of just the current directory..

Many thanks in advance
Julian
president_at_webticker_dot_com
My other car is a Garuda.....

From: "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help: Probme with Modem and Video Mode in new Kernel
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:40:05 -0400

I have installed Slackware 7.1 Kernel 2.2.16 and got it up and running for
weeks.  I installed it from the CD which I burnt with the ISO image file.
Lately, I have to re-compile the kernel for adding some options.  However, I
am experiencing a lot of problems with the new kernel.

1. The internal modem on COM3 (/dev/ttyS2) fails to work.  I have "resource
or device busy" every time I try to access the modem port.  I did not change
anything on the hardware.  The modem has been working with the old kernel.

2. The display mode changes from 800x600 to 640x480 and I cannot configure
it.  In the old kernel, I can run "setup" and choose "configure" which would
allow me to select the video mode.  But now the video mode selection does
not come up on the setup.

3. The KDE window fails to start by issuing "startx".  The error message
related to the framebuffer of 800x600 or something like that.

Can anyone please give me some suggestions or I will have to blow it out
totally.  Thanks.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: print server over a serial link
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:29:15 GMT

hi!
here's the problem.
2 linux boxes A and B.
both blue tooth enabled.
A has printer attached to it.
B will need to use A to print stuff.
what is the simplest way to be able to use A as a print server for B?
one thing i shud point out,the blue tooth link allows only serial
transfer.
all suggestions welcome.

TIA

From: Hauke Zuehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel challenge
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:36:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone  !
>

> What should I do so that the kernel use the initial ramdisk as the
root
> partition ?

Hmmm...check out the BootPrompt-HOWTO.

>       Thanks
>
>               jp

Hauke

From: Art Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux crash - bad CPU or disk?
Date: 18 Aug 2000 10:56:10 -0500

Mark Giesbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I've got a 3 month old installation of Mandrake 7.0 (2.2.14) on a PII
> 233 with an 8.4GB disk.  In the last couple of days, the system has
> frozen solid, forcing a hard reboot.
>
> Is this indicative of a bad cpu?  Scrolling through Netscape, untaring a
> file, etc.  Any event seems to bung it up.  I've not added any new
> software or done any system updates in the last three months.  I'm
> fearful that it's the disk, as any attempt to copy the contents of my
> home partition (/dev/hdc3) to another disk causes a freeze.
>
> I have Win95 on my first disk, and have been unable to cause it to
> freeze, no matter what.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts, or chunks of wisdom?

You could have a bad memory chip - go to

http://freshmeat.net

and find a ram testing program (there are several).

I had a SIMM go bad on my machine, and it locked up frequently until
the bad chip was replace.

--
###############################
# Art Haas

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 18 Aug 2000 15:57:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Mark Giesbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've got a 3 month old installation of Mandrake 7.0 (2.2.14) on a PII
: 233 with an 8.4GB disk.  In the last couple of days, the system has
: frozen solid, forcing a hard reboot.

: Is this indicative of a bad cpu?  Scrolling through Netscape, untaring a
: file, etc.  Any event seems to bung it up.  I've not added any new
: software or done any system updates in the last three months.  I'm
: fearful that it's the disk, as any attempt to copy the contents of my

And have you checked the ventilator?

: home partition (/dev/hdc3) to another disk causes a freeze.

error output from dmesg?

: Any ideas, thoughts, or chunks of wisdom?

not without data.

From: "ScrewLoose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:07:53 +0000
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Art Haas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Giesbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've got a 3 month old installation of Mandrake 7.0 (2.2.14) on a PII
>> 233 with an 8.4GB disk.  In the last couple of days, the system has
>> frozen solid, forcing a hard reboot.
>>
>> Is this indicative of a bad cpu?  Scrolling through Netscape, untaring
>> a file, etc.  Any event seems to bung it up.  I've not added any new
>> software or done any system updates in the last three months.  I'm
>> fearful that it's the disk, as any attempt to copy the contents of my
>> home partition (/dev/hdc3) to another disk causes a freeze.
>>
>> I have Win95 on my first disk, and have been unable to cause it to
>> freeze, no matter what.
>>
>> Any ideas, thoughts, or chunks of wisdom?
>>

> You could have a bad memory chip - go to
>
> http://freshmeat.net
>
> and find a ram testing program (there are several).
>
> I had a SIMM go bad on my machine, and it locked up frequently until the
> bad chip was replace.

Come to think of it, I have had bad experiances with several pieces of
hardware that has caused the similar problems.

* Defective DIMM caused the Kernel to "Page fault" and dump CPU regs to
the console and lock after heavy use.

* CPU malfunction via overheating, while cracking RC5 keys for
www.distributed.net, this caused my system to reboot :(~. My solution was
to use thermal paste between my CPU and it's heatsync.

* Power surge caused the power supply to turn off my box (I assume it's
the current threshold) and not come back on for like a delay of 30Mins.
Eventually the power supply burnt out, (apparently it could generate
250Watts of power) I then bought a new case which had a 250Watt
powersupply mounted already.

After that fieasco, I have experianced extreame stability for a good few months.

Hope I helped :)

ScrewLoose

------------------------------

From: Jonathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:02:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  jinp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a question on this one, I built a new kernel(on RedHat 6.0) and
> did all the lilo and link the System.map to the new file, and new
kernel
> booted ok, but the old one found a wrong System.map file.  What should
> I do?
>
> Thanks
> James
>
> Akira Yamanita wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >    Can we specify which boot image to be used at LILO Prompt?
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Sandy
> >
> > Sure. This is my /etc/lilo.conf file. Edit as necessary but you
> > should get the general idea. Basically you compile the new kernel,
> > move it to your boot (or root) partition, then add an entry for
> > the new kernel.
> >
> > boot=/dev/hda
> > map=/boot/map
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > prompt
> > timeout=50
> > default=linux
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
> >         label=old_kernel
> >         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
> >         read-only
> >         root=/dev/hda8
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
> >         label=linux
> >         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16.img
> >         read-only
> >         root=/dev/hda8

Just to shut the errors up I cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/System.map
/boot

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 18 Aug 2000 16:01:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc JP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: 1. The internal modem on COM3 (/dev/ttyS2) fails to work.  I have "resource
: or device busy" every time I try to access the modem port.  I did not change

That's nice. And what are you doing to access it? Using isapnp to
set its params, then setserial to tell the kernel about them (after
disabling the same resources on the mobo), then using minicom to talk
to the line .... ?

: anything on the hardware.  The modem has been working with the old kernel.

: 3. The KDE window fails to start by issuing "startx".  The error message
: related to the framebuffer of 800x600 or something like that.

Why are you using it? Use vga mode.

: Can anyone please give me some suggestions or I will have to blow it out

Report what you are doing, the state of the machine, and the rsults
(verbatim) of your tests ...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (gfarris)
Subject: Re: newsgroup reader???
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:16:10 GMT

>> Hi, there,
>>
>> Just a simple question. What is the newsgroup reader program in Linux,
>> say RH6.2? And how about in Sun OS?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Davis
>
>If you've got gnome installed, I think PAN is a must have, really cool !
>
>see www.superpimp.org

Yeah, I like pan, too.  My only problem was that my Red Hat distro
shipped with GTK+ v.1.2.5 and I needed at least v.1.2.7 to run it.  It
took me a while to work things out with the upgrade because of all of
the dependencies on GTK+1.2.5.
I like the PAN look-and-feel, but wish it had a "global search"
option, allowing to search entire message bodies instead of just
headers.
StarOffice has a newsreader, but I've only given it a cursory look,
and don't know what it's capable of yet.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: 18 Aug 2000 07:44:57 -0800

Charles H. Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Andrew N. McGuire  wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, NF Stevens quoth:
>> ~~ Then emacs is broken. ^H is in the ascii character set as backspace.
>> ~~ If a piece of software cannot even adhere to the most basic standards
>> ~~ then it should fixed.
>>
>> I am curious, which standard would that be?
>
>That "backspace" (0x8) always deletes the character before the cursor and
>delete (0x7f) always deletes the character the cursor is on.  For all its
>other faults, at least every single Windows program adheres to this
>standard and there's no reason why Linux/Unix programs couldn't do the
>same.
>
>Chuck

The fact that MS-Windows happens to do it that way does NOT make
it standard, and it not true that BS _always_ deletes the
character before the cursor.  A destructive BS is _not_
universal, and indeed at one time was non-existant!  Unix was
doing it the right way long before Windows was a gleem in the
eye of Bill Gates.  If Windows had followed the appropriate
standards you would not be so confused too.

For all its faults, why would we take another faulty "standard"
from MS-Windows and use it to screw up the rest of the world?

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,mailing.comp.cdwrite
Subject: Re: Does cdrecord really work with IDE CD-R??
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:28:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (alex)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:42:25 GMT

On 14 Aug 2000 17:06:16 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) wrote:

>blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Open/Free-BSD. ;-)
>>
>>  cd to the ports tree,
>> Just pick the app you want.
>> eg: cd /usr/ports/mysql123.tar.gz
>>     make ; make install ; make clean
>>
>> That's it. Everything will be build from source. All dependency files
>> fetched, MD5 checked, patched, build, make, install all done
>> automatically, and custom tailord, configured to YOUR machine; WITHOUT
>> any baby sitting.
>
>This isn't much better than rebuilding Linux.

Sure it is.  You are not recompiling the kernel(you *could* update the
system to the latest development version every night and recompile but
it wouldn't be very stable :-)  Rather, you are updating the ports
collection -- the application index.  Basically, the way it works is
that there is a directory /usr/ports which has subdirectories with
programs divided by categories.  Each directory contains a makefile
skeleton and the patches needed for a smooth compile.  To install
gnome, all you have to do is cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome and run make
install.  It will fetch all dependencies from the internet, compile
all the libraries and programs and install it for you.  Easy, clean,
quick.  By updating the ports, blowfish means updating the skeletons
to reflect the newest apps.

>I don't understand why you consider it to be so evil for somebody else
>to pre-compile an operating system and distribute it in binary form.

IMHO, it is not evil(and, frankly speaking, I wish I tried to do a
binary install of mozilla on my old 166; the compile took forever but
apperently, the startup took even longer :-)  However, with all things
equal, why not compile from source?  You'll get a little extra
performance from custom switches.  You can tweak the program if
needed. . .

>So it doesn't have every last optimization and tweak that could possibly
>be installed.  I, for one, really don't care that much.

Fine.  Install packages.   I, personally, believe that freedom is
freedom to choose.  Packages have their place and if you are not
interested in hacking around but rather need to get something done, I
can easily see how a package might be better than compiling source
code for you.

>>  And you can CVS to updated the source everynight automatically.
>
>Oh yeah, that takes brains.  So every morning, your computer is running
>a new version of the system.  That's really great way to run a stable
>production system.

Nope.  You'll be running with an updated ports collection(more/updated
apps you can install)

>> Or do a make world to update the whole system.
>>
>> No pain, no mess. Start it. Go out, go to bed. Find something else to do. ;-)
>>
>> .RPM sucks big time, anyway.
>
>Unless you want to do something with your life other than maintaining
>your OS.

As I see it, RPMs/packages are for people who need productivity and
who are not sysadmins/etc.  Both packages and source compiles have
their place.  It's up to you which one you want to use.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (alex)
Subject: Re: Hard Drive is Lieing.
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:47:18 GMT

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:30:46 GMT, N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>i have deleted linux completly and re-installed windows, i dont have
>access to or to create a windows startup disk for some reason but anyway
>Windows says i now have a smaller hard drive than i actually have, linux
>is respsonsible for this, i even used partition magic on Mandrake 7.0. to
>clear it and it stills says i have a smaller disk space. why and how can i
>fix it?

Easy  Reinstall linux :-)  No seriously, if you want to abandon linux
you need to delete the linux partitions you created.  I guess the
easiest way would be to get a linux boot/root disk (try slackware, I
know their install disks are pretty good) to get into a rudimentary
linux system, run fdisk there and delete the linux partitions. Then
you can use windoze fdisk to create  windows partitions there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do you determine the job number from lpr?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:44:02 GMT

I need to know the job number that was assigned when lpr spools the
print job.  I can't seem to find a way to get the job number with
certainty.

I am trying to manage printers and jobs from a web page and need a way
to answer the question did the job (34 for example) print? The answer
is fairly straightforward if you know the job number which seems to be
elusive.

The system V print method lp (I believe) echos back the job number upon
submission which is just what I want, but I can't seem to find this
print system for Linux.

I bet I am missing something obvious.  Could anyone point me in the
right direction?

TIA

Mike

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Aug 2000 16:51:18 GMT

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Probably true on hardcopy terminals, but he is going back even
> farther than that, to tape punches.  The BS key would backspace
> the tape, the DEL key would punch all holes, thus deleting
> whatever had been punched previously.

well, when I used paper tape, we didn't use rubouts anyway (I recall
a comment from someone who said a tape with a lot of rubouts had
caused one of our tty's to fail ;-).  DEC used to distribute some
de-commented source that had rubouts where the comments used to
be -- but that's a different protocol.

> (Regardless, on my terminal the key labeled "Backspace" most

mine does:

ymmv.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Prompt path...
Date: 18 Aug 2000 16:56:48 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:35:45 -0400, Julian Cook wrote:
>I just installed successfully Red Hat Linux 6.1and it's working like a
>charm, except for one small problem, the prompt isn't showing the path.
>As you may have guessed I am not a Linux guru, I only use it to power
>PERL, which I am deeply immersing myself in.
>
>Whenever I switch directories,..like cd abc/
>then the prompt shows
>sherab: abc
>and if I switch to another directory like cd def/
>then the prompt shows
>sherab: def
>
>What setting do I need to change to get this to show as
>sherab: abc/def

cat >> .bashrc
export PS1='\h:\w\$ '
^D
. .bashrc
(after this, PS1 will be set to the Right THing every time you log in in
the future.)

HTH, HAND!