Linux-Misc Digest #490, Volume #19               Wed, 17 Mar 99 16:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: How many $$$ does Linux save? (Alan Gauld)
  Re: HP 2000C (Bob Tennent)
  Re: printer HP 870cxi setting ? (Grant Taylor)
  Re: Mounting CDROM in 8.3 uppercase mode (Martin Denn)
  Re: NetZero and Linux (Mircea)
  Re: How many $$$ does Linux save? (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: RasMol not working!? (Mark Tranchant)
  RasMol not working!? ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment? ("John M. Janney")
  Re: LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!! (Julius Longauer)
  Modem setup question (john xu)
  Re: Linux and Y2K (Dillon Pyron)
  Re: Help a newbie (benjamin j snyder)
  Re: Help a newbie (Robert)
  Re: GS drivers for Epson Stylus 640 - disappointing (Hans Koch)
  Re: CR/LF Question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (Harry)
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (Harry)
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (Harry)
  printer HP 870cxi setting ? (Yoram Benchetrit)
  Connecting to DB2 5.2 through Client Configuration Assistant ("Toolman")
  HP laserjet 6L (Remi Dumont)
  problem with scsi hd (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Debian 2.1 install trouble: can't write boot floppy (John L. Daschbach)
  realplayer 5.0 and RH 5.2 (Jason Bowen)
  Re: US Robotics ISA Modem? (Jim LaDue)
  How many $$$ does Linux save? ("Paul Davies")
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Server Name Question (Thomas Barry)

From: Alan Gauld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How many $$$ does Linux save?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:26:43 +0000

Paul Davies wrote:
> I'm just trying to understand approximately how much I'd save using Linux
> compared to say Solaris. Does anyone know how much Solaris costs per
> license?

Solaris for x86 was about $500-600 last time I looked
(including compilers etc!)

> Does anyone have any hard data on how much money setting up a Linux
> based system saves?

not hard, but it will depend on how you cost your time...

Alan G.

------------------------------

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: HP 2000C
Date: 17 Mar 1999 15:25:09 GMT

On 17 Mar 1999 15:42:31 +0100, Peter Lackner wrote:

 >We are thinking about buying an HP 2000C color printer. Are the
 >current deskjet drivers of ghostscript suitable for this printer?
 >Anyone already using such a printer with Linux?
 >
>From  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi:

HP2000Cse Color
   Ink Jet
   600x600 Perfectly
   PCL 3e
   hpdj 300x300 and 600x600 works, all print quality settings work,
   compressions work. This is a very fast printer; probably 3x as fast as
   typical inkjets. Output is very good quality - 30 to 45 sec for a page
   with a 6x6in photo and text. Have not tried photos with linux.
   Refill: (4) CMYK, separate ink & heads

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printer HP 870cxi setting ?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 14:16:48 -0500

yoramb@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE (Yoram Benchetrit) writes:

> Might someone explain me how to setup HP 870cxi for printing ?
> I have installed Red-Hat 5.2 and used printtool to setup this printer
> but it does not appear in the printer list proposed.

This printer is supported by Ghostscript's cdj850 driver. The stock
RH5.2 printtool and ghostscript may well not know about this; if so
you should upgrade to the more recent Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50.

More information about the cdj850 driver is available at
http://www.erdw.ethz.ch/~bonk/hp850/hp850.html

More information about Linux printer compatibility is available at
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Denn)
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Mounting CDROM in 8.3 uppercase mode
Date: 16 Mar 1999 19:46:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Anas Nashif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hallo,
>
> An application i am trying to install needs the files in uppercase.
> On other OSs there is the map option or the hsfs filesystem.
>
> I found a patch at linuxmama.com, but it's only for 2.0.33! Any
> ideas how i can do it with new 2.2 Kernels?

$ man mount
Mount options for iso9660
       check=r[elaxed] / check=s[trict]
              With  check=relaxed,  a filename is first converted
              to lower case before doing  the  lookup.   This  is
              probably  only  meaningful together with norock and
              map=normal.  (Default: check=strict.)

In your case, check=relaxed should do it.
The file names still appear in lower case, but if you request a file
in upper case, you will get it.

Martin.

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NetZero and Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:17:24 -0500

AFAIK, it won't work. Haven't tried it, but I know someone who did, and
got nowhere. Please post your success story...assuming you'll have one
:)

MST

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:17:34 +0000

Paul Davies wrote:

> I'm just trying to understand approximately how much I'd save using Linux
> compared to say Solaris. Does anyone know how much Solaris costs per
> license? Does anyone have any hard data on how much money setting up a Linux
> based system saves?

All of it, if time is free.

:-)

Mark.

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RasMol not working!?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:16:25 +0000

You are running X, aren't you? It seems to be complaining that it can't
find an 8-bit (256-colour) display. If you are running X in other than
8-bit colour depth, it may complain. This is bad programming, though,
restricting the user to a specific colour depth.

Mark.

------------------------------

From: "John M. Janney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:51:16 -0600

>From all my reading, I get the impression that KDE (for now) is a better,
more stable choice for the average user (I want to use my Linux box for a
variety of tasks, to include using WordPerfect and other apps).

Does anyone have opinions, experiences, ect. regarding these two competing
desktop environments?

And what about Enlightenment? Where does this come into the picture?

Thanks,
John

------------------------------

From: Julius Longauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO problem remaining unsolved !!!!!
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:23:34 +0100

Benjamin HERZOG writes:

> Hello ,

Hello Benjamin

> I am runing Linux Red Hat 5.1 (Kernel 2.0.34).
> I have got two hard drives (hda -master- with msdos; and hdb -slave-
> with linux),  and i can boot Linux on /dev/hdb1 with a floppy via LILO.
> I once had a problem with a floppy, and i would like to boot linux with
> LILO installed on hd.
>
> When i boot without floppy, Win95 is starting (grrr !!!).
>
> So, my idea is to rejump hdb as the master (and hda as the slave), and
> try to install LILO there, without any microsoft system on the hd !
> So, i configured /etc/lilo.conf to do so (here is an excerpt of the
> file):
>
> boot = /dev/hdb
> image=/vmlinuz
> label=linux
> root=/dev/hdb1
>
> I runed fdisk so that /dev/hdb1 is bootable, and i rejumped hdb=master
> (physically).
>
> Then reboot, ....
> it starts, and when LILO tries to display the prompt, it only displays
> the two letters:
>
> LI

Oops. /dev/hda is always the master and /dev/hdb is always the slave on
the
first EIDE-Interface. After having rejumped your harddisks, hdb got hda
and
vice verso. So change /etc/lilo.conf to:

boot = /dev/hda
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda1

and install lilo again.

> and then i have to reboot !
>
> So, i put my floppy in, and reboot (remember that now, hdb is the
> master).
> What a surprise !  The floppy doesn't work !  LILO starts, kernel
> decompacting etc.
> But i get the message:
> "Unable to open initial console"

Your root_device has changed too. It isn't /dev/hdb1 anymore but
/dev/hda1. Boot from your floppy and when the LILO-prompt
appears type:

 root=/dev/hda1

> I don't know if the two problems are linked (with and without floppy),
> but they are both getting on my nerves   :-(
>
> Please, help me !!!!

Hope this helps.

Julius

------------------------------

From: john xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Modem setup question
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:52:28 GMT

All:
I need some help to make my modem work.
I have an ISA modem(Not Winmodem) installed in my old 386PC,
and system has 8 mb memory on it. This machine was installed Win95 and
modem just worked fine(Not PnP mode).  When I installed Redhat 5.2 on
this machine, everything seems Ok except modem card. I can dial in to my

ISP PPP server and get the connection. Then enter username and
password. I got connection and hundreds garbage characters. However,
just
after a few seconds, I was disconnected and minicom screen said "No
CARRIER". Using setserial -a /dev/ttyS3 (I am using port 4, IRQ 3), I
got
UART 16550A. Everything seems correct, but why I lost connection?
Is it possible due to my system memory be too small to cause the
problem?
This error repeated again and again and really bother me.

Somebody has idea and suggestion what I need to try to solve the
problem? Any help is very appreciated.

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so I won't miss you.

John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dillon Pyron)
Subject: Re: Linux and Y2K
Date: 17 Mar 1999 15:20:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) writes:
> Doug Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Now that it is March, 1999 I figure I might as well get around to
> >asking. Are the years in Linux 4 digits, or are my server programs which
> >support Y2K going to get messed up next year?
>
> [...]
>
> Please do yourself a favour and use a search engine.
> Hint: UN*X doesn't have a Y2K problem.

No?  Then you are likely to be in for a big surprise early next year.  Don't
expect you HP-UX 9.x system to do well, nor your SunOS 4.1.3 box.  In fact, I'd
be careful with any Unix OS that hasn't addressed patches for a few problems,
like tar, at and cron.

OTOH, Linus has published a statement that Linux is Y2K compliant.

--
dillon pyron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: Re: Help a newbie
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:33:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Paul Richards  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Oh, and another thing.
>Can linux access my win95 partition and can win95 access my linux
>partition?

Other people have posted about making win95 the default, but to access the
win95 (DOS) partition from linux, just mount it like any other device.  you may
have to specify the type of FS to it...something like this:
mount /dev/hda3 /win95 -tmsdos

It's been a while since I've done this, so you may need a space between the
-t and msdos...I am assuming hda3 is where your win95 partition is...I just
picked a number, it may be hda1, hda2, hda3, hda4, hda5, hdb1, hdb2 etc.  But
since you have both OS's installed I am assuming you know where that is.

As for the FS type, you -=*MAY*=- need to load a module if you havent
recompiled your kernel to include it.  You may not have to tell it msdos.  As I
said it's been a while, and I think I remember mounting a MS partition w/o
telling it the FS type (after I had support compiled into the kernel).

Load a module by typing /sbin/insmod <modname>..I dont know the correct module
you need to install though (sorry).

If you encounter problems try looking at the man page for mount and insmod, and
you may also want to look for anything on modules (man -k module should give
you a good listing if there's anything in there about them...cant imagine there
not being though)

Now, as far as Win95 being able to access the linux partition...I dont think
there's a way in hell that will happen.  MS cant even get win95 to read NTFS
(their own alternative FS), so I dont think it will read ext2 either.  If you
find out please let me know, I'm curious about getting that to work too (for
when I reinstall my game platofrm - I mean Win98 - on my machine).

Hope this info helps, even though I'm too windy for my own good and wrote
entirely too much about how to mount other partitions.

--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:16:26 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hi,
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux but I'm good with DOS/Win95 and I've just
> installed Red Hat Linux v5.1.  I've got LILO set up to boot linux by
> default or let me specify win95 if I want to.  How do I get LILO to
> automatically boot to win95 by default and only boot Linux if I want to?
> I need this so that my Mom and Pop will still be able to use the
> computer.
>
> Oh, and another thing.
> Can linux access my win95 partition and can win95 access my linux
> partition?
>
> TIA

You have to change order of stanzas in lilo conf file, just put dos
first.
You can mount your win95 partition without a problem, vice versa is
harder.
Robert Bartos

From: Hans Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: GS drivers for Epson Stylus 640 - disappointing
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:13:32 -0600

>> My experience with the Ghostscript drivers (described below)
>> for Epson Stylus Color printers is a bit disappointing.
>> In image areas where one of the main colors (CMYK) is used only
>> in moderate amounts (light colors, light grey, or mixtures),
>> this color is not printed as a light cloud of dots,
>> but as pattern of thin wavy lines - highly visible!

gt> This sounds a bit like a dithering effect.  Did you try working with

gt> ...

rs> This is a result of the dithering algorithm in use.  With the
stcolor
rs> ...

Thanks (to G. Taylor and R. Smith) for the encouraging replies.
My short answer to most suggestions is "yes, I think I have tried this",

but there are too many combinations to be sure.
I will experiment some more with the stcolor and uniprint drivers,
as soons as time allows, and post whatever insight I might get.

In the meantime, additional suggestins are of course welcome.

Thanks
- Hans Koch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: CR/LF Question
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:23:02 GMT

In his obvious haste, Stressed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: If I get a script file from the net using a DOS or Win9x machine, how can I
: get it into Linux so that I can use it. The CR/LF problem produces nothing
: but errors on scripts, and unreadable text sometimes.

You could load it into a standard editor (such as joe, which is the one I
use).

Then all you have to do is perform a search/replace for ^M characters,
replacing them with nothing.

Should work fine...
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|       Finalist in:-      |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:35:05 -0500

> Linux Central<

Is that the full product? (Ie not littered with crashing betas?) Wot
about the manuals - are they worth the hard-earned?

Harry

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:30:11 -0500

Thanks - but I think eBay is off limits to me (outside USA...).
Sadly the UK auction sites don't seem to attract as many lots ...
last one I looked at was selling an Acorn Electron and a copy of Viz
(March 88).

Harry

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:33:35 -0500

Actually I wanted an "internal price comparison" (between the
various RH products) and not an external one (between RH and MS).

However, thanks all the same!

BTW - did you know that if you have a valid windows product (for
instance, an upgrade CD-ROM) you can use that to validate your
upgrade? Could have saved a few $...

Harry

------------------------------

From: yoramb@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE (Yoram Benchetrit)
Subject: printer HP 870cxi setting ?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:51:44 GMT

Hi,

Might someone explain me how to setup HP 870cxi for printing ?

I have installed Red-Hat 5.2 and used printtool to setup this printer
but it does not appear in the printer list proposed.
I have tried all the HP printer with no success, a simple ascci file
cannot be printed (ugly character are printed instead)

This is my understanding, that this GUI generate an appropriate /etc/printcap

Can someone point me to a location where I can find such /etc/printcap
for HP870cxi, or anything else I should take care to have my printer work....

Assuming I can set my printer to print ascii file from the command line,
can someone explain me what needs to be done to print postscript file.

Thank you in advance for your help,
yoram

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:03:55 -0500
From: "Toolman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Connecting to DB2 5.2 through Client Configuration Assistant

I can't connect to my new database I created on my Linux machine.  I
continually get this error when trying to connect:

[IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30081N  A communication error has been detected.
Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP".  Communication API being used:
"SOCKETS".  Location where the error was detected: "".  Communication
function detecting the error: "connect".  Protocol specific error code(s):
"10061", "*", "*".  SQLSTATE=08001

I found that in the Help within the error that DB2COMM on the server needs
to have the correct entry in it - whether it's TCP/IP or APPC.  Does Linux
have a DB2COMM setting somewhere for it's database?  I know where it is for
UDB on NT, but is there such a thing for Linux?

From: Remi Dumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP laserjet 6L
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:30:11 +0100

    Hi,

    I've got a HP laserjet 6L printer running under Debian 2.0. When I
try to print a file (hitting the "print" button of netscape or lpr
foo.ps, for example) the first pages are ok but not the last: the front
panel leds stop blinking and...that's all. A push on the printer button
and the last page is printed...but still a few lines are missing.

    I would be glad if someone had any idea.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefano Ghirlanda)
Subject: problem with scsi hd
Date: 17 Mar 1999 19:52:19 GMT

Hi,
I have a problem with a scsi hd. At boot time the scsi adapter (adaptec
aha2740) reports that the number of heads / sectors is not correct for my
hard drive. It claims it should be 255 / 63 rather than 64 / 32 since the
drive is bigger than 1 Gb (which is true).

I then enter fdisk (booting from a slackware 3.6 floppy) adn in "expert
mode" I change the number of heads and sectors to what the scsi adapter
wants. I then add 1 primary linux partition and 1 extended partitiob
comprising swap space and another linux partition). I exit fdisk saving
the partition table (w).

At boot up, the scsi adapter complains about the same thing. I re-enter
fdisk and see that the card is right: I still have 64 heads and 32
sectors. I change this again, but I don't reboot this time. I just exit
fdisk and enter it again. I stil have 64 heads and 32 sectors...

BTW, I *could* boot the system from floppy and read the hard drive,
correclty afaik, although booting from the hard drive fails. I get the L
(from LILO I think) and then a number of 00 (double zero) that goes on
until I reboot.

I took long time to convince my boss to took away NT from that machine and
put up a linux server... please help!

Stefano

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John L. Daschbach)
Subject: Debian 2.1 install trouble: can't write boot floppy
Date: 17 Mar 1999 10:11:40 -0800

I tried last night to install Debian 2.1 onto a spare partition of my
work machine running RedHat 4.0 (with some kernel upgrades).

I put the base install files onto an existing partition.  My first
problem was that inside the Debian install program it asked me what
partition they were one and where to mount it.  I said to mount onto
'/foo', but then it couldn't find the files.  (They had been in
/usr/share/Archives/Debian with /dev/sda13 mounted on /usr)  I dropped
into a shell and looked at mtab and found that the Debian install had
mounted the partition onto /target/foo not /foo.

This problem solved I continued with the lengthy network install
portion (just lot's of into to enter if your on a real network with a
number of nameservers etc. and not standard network settings).

Then it wanted to make a boot partition or floppy.  I must have this
be a floppy due to how my drive is partitioned.  I replied floppy, and
it said insert an empty formatted floppy.  Formatted with what OS?
First I tried a DOS floppy.  Debian came back and said it failed but
gave no reason, saying the floppy was probably write protected or
bad.  I tried another floppy, same result.  I dropped to the shell and
mounted the DOS floppy and wrote and read to it.  So I tried floppy
with a fresh ext2 format, same result.  Mounted and wrote and read
it.

So I'm stuck, and the Debian install is sort of like a M$ product.  It
gives me no real information on what it's trying to do or what is
going wrong when it tries to write the boot floppy.  But I am able to
show that the floppies are in fact ok, even when running the Debian
install boot.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

-John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: realplayer 5.0 and RH 5.2
Date: 17 Mar 1999 20:36:19 GMT

I downloaded it, untarred and unzipped it, followed the directions and
when I go to install it as a plugin I get the following message when I go
to about plugins: libm.so.5 : cannot open shared object file: now such
file or directory.  It will replace the filename  with librvcore.so
sometimes.  I checked /etc/ld.so.conf and made sure From
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu Mar 18 06:48:54 1999
From: Roy Oestensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SV: SV: Unpacking a gzipped file?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:43:52 -0000
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks, I think I found it under the K menu, it wasn't hard, anyway, but I
still have that troubling gunzip problem. I am rather frustrated, although
there has been some good advice that I will try (not least the tar
function, alhtough I believe I did try tar wordperf~1.gz and it didn't work
somehow).

Roy

From: Jim LaDue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics ISA Modem?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 20:31:47 GMT

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How many $$$ does Linux save?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:01:01 -0000

I'm just trying to understand approximately how much I'd save using Linux
compared to say Solaris. Does anyone know how much Solaris costs per
license? Does anyone have any hard data on how much money setting up a Linux
based system saves?

My architecture consists of 2 servers and 6 client machines.

Thanks

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:27:51 +0000

There is one benefit in buying the boxed set with the proper manuals which
hasn't been mentioned (and which doesn't apply to the original poster).

At work we use Linux quite a bit, and since we have a fat (10 Mb in the
eveings) pipe I simply download the complete i386 and Alpha versions each
time a new release comes out and burn my own CDs.

However, a year or so ago I purchased the real RedHat 4.2.  Why?  Well,
occasionally we get officious oafs coming round checking that we are using
properly licensed software.  Trying to explain that our entire network runs
off free software which I downloaded off the internet would give them
appoplexy.  So I simply show them the box and manuals and (not having the
nouse to see that its an old version) they go away happy :-).

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am not aware of any views shared by myself and my employers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Barry)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Server Name Question
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:42:22 -0500

Hi-

I'm new to both linux and smb so I apologize if this
is a stupid question.  I have two NICS in my linux box;
one connects to RoadRunner (and uses DHCP).  The other
is connects to my LAN (I'm using IP-Masquerade).  I've
got samba set up and running; but the server name I see
in my Windows98 explorer says something like D185f....
I'd like to see the actual server name (Iago), and not
something which I guess is being assigned by Road Runner.

My [global] section in /etc/smb.conf looks like this:

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   domain logons = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   printing = bsd
   load printers = yes
   guest account = guest
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   share modes = yes
   server string = Samba Server
   dns proxy = no
   interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
   remote announce = 192.168.0.255
   null passwords = yes

So, is this a samba problem or a general network config-
uration problem?

Thanks much,

Tom Barry