Linux-Misc Digest #490, Volume #21               Sat, 21 Aug 99 16:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: sendmail relaying external mail (Bastian Blank)
  Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that. (Robert Komar)
  How to stop screen blanking? ("Steve L.")
  Re: lilo or loadlin timing= (brian moore)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux ("Kalkas")
  copying a file over the network (rcp) (Bob Koss)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux ("Kalkas")
  Re: downloading linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  difference between Window Manager and KDE/GNOME (Joshua Li)
  Re: IDE CD Recording (Mircea)
  xman retrieves garbled documents -- bzip issue? (Steve Sanyal)
  Re: Tool to monitor disk activity ? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Real player G2 installed but? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Dual boot (upgrade to Win98) (Leonard Evens)
  anyone certified? ("Lye Nooks")
  Re: WordPerfect on 24 bit visual? (Jerry Lapham)
  Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?) (Randall Parker)
  Re: can't find mail fetched with fetchmail (Peter Caffin)
  Re: Apache and .htaccess file ("Jeff Grossman")
  Re: Any free SQL server available? ("WME")
  Re: Can't nice find: monolithic kernel effect? (Geoff Short)
  Re: Have you heard? (DanH)
  Re: Which POP3 Server? ("Michael Faurot")

From: Bastian Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: sendmail relaying external mail
Date: 21 Aug 1999 15:30:44 GMT

Mathias Fuerlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running a Linux (suse) WebServer (apache 1.3.4)
> with 5 Virtual Domains.
> Everything works fine !

> From now on I want to take care about mail.

> Forwarding and receiving is no problem.

> Sending to the 5 'local' Domains is no problem.

> Sending Mail to Domains on WAN reports the following error-msg:

> RELAYING to host [EMAIL PROTECTED] not allowed.

> How can I solve this problem.

> (when I put ".com "in /etc/mail/relay-domains file, mail works fine even
> on WAN !
>  but it can't be the solution to put .de, .net, .org .... etc.in the
> relay-domains file
>  - any solutions ?)

das ist eine .newsuser-frage. du schreibst über ein mail-problem, ohne
eine angabe über den MTA. da ich aber schätze du benutzt sendmail, lese
erst einmal die docu durch.

bastian

ihr habt es gehört, also macht, was er sagt

------------------------------

From: Robert Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that.
Date: 21 Aug 1999 16:31:48 GMT

Jordi Backx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: The problem is that since the card works I hear a constant resonant
: sound coming from my speakers; a sort of soft 'prrrrr'.
: It gets a bit louder when I move the mouse and when the harddisk is
: working.

: It's REALLY annoying me. Can anyone help???

Hi,
if possible, move the card as far away from the CPU and other cards
as you can.  Try to keep any cables that run to the card away from other
components.  Turn down the microphone level.  Some people have gone
as far as producing a shielding shroud around the card, put you have
to be careful about shorting out or overheating the sound card.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: "Steve L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,net.computers.os.unix.linux,thenet.support.linux
Subject: How to stop screen blanking?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:38:54 -0700

OS: RedHat Linux
My screen blanks every 10 minutes of no activity.
This is only a screen blanking...not a BIOS issue...BIOS has
power saving completely disabled.

1. How do I increase the time until it blanks the screen?
2. How do I turn off "screen blanking" completely?

Thanks

respond here or via email to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: lilo or loadlin timing=
Date: 21 Aug 1999 16:57:40 GMT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:38:55 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've heard that the video timing for a frambuffer device could be
> specified in either lilo or loadlin.  I believe I saw the setting start
> with timing=... but I can't find that post anymore.  Can anyone help me
> with this.

Tried /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt?

Note that you can't specify the timings unless you're using a device
that supports it (such as Matrox).

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:18:24 +0200

Ronald Benedik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Kalkas wrote:
> >
> > I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I
am
> > fascinated by Linux's stability and security.
> >
> > Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.
> >
> > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
use
> > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
III
> > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
which
> > will support my card in Linux.
> >
> > Did someone else have similar problems?
>
> > Regards,
> > Kalkas
>
> I'm using a 3c509b COMBO (PnP/ISA). It definately does work. There may
> be a problem with
> the 3c509 (not the b version) in dropping ip packets becaus of its tiny
> (4kb)
> buffer. This problem was solved in version b (8kb buffer). My Problem
> was one of dual
> boot configuration. Win95 puts the card in PnP mode and Linux doesn't
> like that.
> So my shutdown script for windoof puts the card back in non PnP mode and
> the card uses
> the same irq in linux and windoof, now everything works fine.
>
> for linux drivers check:
>
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html

Ronald,

Thank you for your answer.

I am studying the material (some manuals and HOWTO). I have not yet
installed Linux, since I do not dare to install it alone. I have a friend
who will help me with the installation.

Sincerely Yours,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: Bob Koss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: copying a file over the network (rcp)
Date: 21 Aug 1999 12:52:13 -0400

I can telnet, ftp, and rsh into my RH5.1 desktop from my laptop.

But when I try to rcp a file, I get 'permission denied'.  Any ideas
where to look?

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:12:26 +0200

Stephen R. Savitzky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
use
> > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
III
> > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
which
> > will support my card in Linux.
>
> Excuse me?  I've been using 3C509's of all sorts with Linux for years.
> The driver most definitely exists, it's in the module
>
>   /lib/modules/preferred/net/3c509.o
>
> source in
>
>   /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c509.c

Thanks Steve!

That was good news indeed!

I also assume now that Linux should support my monitor and my audio card. My
audio card is Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128, and my monitor is MAG
InnoVision DX15F. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely Yours,
Aleksandar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: downloading linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:14:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Noah Roberts (jik-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "John  O'Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I am very new to linux and I went to the red hat ftp site. I don't
which
> > files to download at the site. Can someone point me in the right
direction.

> RedHat takes more then 2 days of constant downloading, there is no
> rhyme or reason to what you need to download, and even after days of
> research I still ended up with an uninstallable setup when I tried to
> grab what I *wanted*.
>
> There are distributions which are split into more reasonable
> catagories so that one can download a certain group of related files
> and leave out the stuff they don't need.  SuSE and Slackware are the
> only ones that I am currently aware of that do this.  You grab
> subdirectories, ie net, devel, X, TeX, kernel...etc...and can leave
> out stuff like TeX which you don't necissarily need.
>
> If you want RedHat and insist on downoading it, you need the base, and
> the *entire* RPMs directory, and mybe one more subdirectory..its been
> a while....have fun :P

Downloaded Slackware some years ago and never bought a Linux cdrom.
You need the install disks, the A series of directories (one directory
per floppy) and almost certainly the n series (communications). Try
ftp.cdrom.com in the download section or ftp.metalab.unc in
/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slakware.

John Culleton [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: difference between Window Manager and KDE/GNOME
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:06:40 GMT

Joshua Li wrote:

In concept, what is different about the Window
mangers(LessTif,fvwm95...) which will produce a graphical desktop in
Rh5.2 and KDE, Gnome in newer versions?
--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CD Recording
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:55:57 -0400

http://MetaLab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

MST

------------------------------

From: Steve Sanyal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xman retrieves garbled documents -- bzip issue?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:53:42 GMT

Hi,

After installing Mandrake 6.0, xman no longer works.  The sections
appear in the directory listing, but opening them results in a window
that contains a garbled mess of characters.  In addition, I receive
error messages from geqn stating an invalid character was found.  I
imagine this is all occurring because the man pages are no longer
standard script file format, but instead in bz2 compressed format.

When I run the regular man command, I can see the pages fine -- so I
figure that man can decompress files as needed.  Is the same true for
xman?  I don't see anything in the xman manual page that pertains to
this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tool to monitor disk activity ?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:30:23 -0500

Vincent GRENET wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am looking for a tool to monitor disk activity (how many read, write...).
> Such a tool may already exist in my distribution (I got a RH5.2) but I have
> been unable to find it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vincent.

xosview will do it, but I think there may be better programs.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Real player G2 installed but?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:52:27 -0500

Paul wrote:

> I installed Real player but don`t seem to be able to run the program,
> and don`t seem to be able to find where it is on my system!
> If i try to re-install i get the message "program already installed!
> How can i find it??
>                Paul

If you installed the rpm package, it should be

/usr/lib/RealPlayerG2/realplay

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Dual boot (upgrade to Win98)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:02:39 -0500

>   I have RedHat 6.0 and Win95 installed on my 6GB
>   WD hard drive. It has been working great, I recently
>   wanted to upgrade Win 95 to Win98, but the installation
>   program (scandisk) told me that it found another
>   OS (linux) already installed on the same hard drive,
>   it then asked me to repartition the hard drive.
That is really bewildering and a bit scary.  Win98 and
Linux can certainly live on the same disk.  I've installed
Linux on several machines with Win98 on them.

One solution might be to tell the Win98 upgrade program
not to repartition and then continue with the installation.
I hope that is possible.

My guess is that the Win 98 upgrade program checks the MBR
and doesn't like what it sees.  But it shouldn't care about
anything except the Windows partitions.

From: "Lye Nooks" <@Boxing-Connection.com>
Subject: anyone certified?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:10:24 -0400

I'm very interested in studying for Linux certificate exam. I know there is
a certificate for Redhat, and also a separate certificate shown at the
website www.linuxcertificate.com

Is there good textbooks specialized on studying for linux certificate exams?

If there's anybody who's certified, how difficult was it (like comparing
with MSCE)?

Just like there are tons of books on MSCE exams, I've been searching for one
for linux exam, but can't find any.  I passed MCSE+I exams basically by
studying those types of books (with hands on works, of course). I'm sure
linux certificate will be very big in the near future. I would think that
there are such books available....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: WordPerfect on 24 bit visual?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:15:09

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/20/99
   at 02:05 PM, grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards) said:

> Why does WP work on one X server and not the other, when
> they're both set up as 24 bpp truecolor?

I don't know why but it also happens with Matrox.  I'd suggest going to
either 16 or 32 bpp.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Saturday, August 21, 1999 - 01:15 PM (EDT)
MR/2 Ice tag:  "This must be Kansas," said Tom flatly.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randall Parker)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:17:30 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> The problem is that you can spend your time hand-optimizing an area of
> code that isn't important at all.

I think we are mixing up different issues here.

1) Optimization of existing code. Well, sure, run a profiler and see
where the time is being taken. Then go optimize the parts where the time
is being taken.
   However, even when you find out where you are spending your time that
doesn't mean that that is the routine that should be fixed. It could be
that a larger design is what is flawed.

2) Writing code to be fast in the first place.
   There are various aspects to this
   A) Coding styles down at the level of loops and groups of statements
that will result in faster code. The classic example is to decrement your
loops rather than increment them. But there are lots of others.
   B) Coding styles that reduce heap thrash, improve locality of
execution, and so on.
   I would argue that good coding styles, once one has internalized them,
are not much if any additional effort to practice. So why not do them
everywhere?
   C) Algorithm design and larger program design issues.

   Note that in some cases if you do not do your initial coding to be
efficient in the first then you may end up with an amount of code that is
so large by the time that you find performance problems that you either
are not going to be able to fix these problems or you are going to have
to slip your schedule in order to go back and do rework.

   The real attitude that I'm arguing against here is the idea that
optimization can be left to some final phase of the development process
and that profiling at that stage will be adequate to make the code fast
enough. I do not believe it. I think that performance has to be designed
in from day one. It is not something you can tack on afterward with a
profiler. You think Microsoft can profile its way thru Win32's code base
to make its slower parts as fast as Linux's faster parts? I don't think
so. Not without massive rewrites.
   This philosophy is analogous to the philosophy that the US carmakers
and other manufacturers had for many years that (once upon a time when I
worked for one of those big car makers) we called "Throw it over the wall
design". Basically, in that case the design engineers didn't worry about
the problems they were creating in their design for the production
engineers. Well, in the same way one can't go designing software just to
be functionally correct and then go in and only work on performance at
the end using a profiler as a guide.

   Too many times I've seen code with performance problems that was badly
flawed in design that required a lot of rework in order to make it
faster. It wasn't a matter of identifying the 1% part of the code that
took 90% of the time.
   In one case the 90% of the time was spent in copy constructors. Well,
what is one to do in such a case? Write an optimized version of memcpy?
Its not possible. The real problem was that idiots had written their code
to copy the same data many times into many objects as it was being passed
around between different translation and protocol and call layers.

>This is where profiling comes in:  you
> identify the 3 percent of the code where you spend all your time, THEN
> hand-optimize (or assemblerize) within that three percent.

This sort of classic case is nice if you can find it.

> An
> example:  a math regression program written in FORTRAN was walking
> through a huge array.  The programmer ran through the array by rows, then
> by column.  This particular FORTRAN (for a Burroughs machine) stored
> everything in column-major order.  Changing the dimensions of the
> walkthrough reduced run time from six hours to about ten minutes real
> time, and cut the backing store swapping numbers from too high to count
> to reasonably small numbers.

Again, sure, a classical example. I only wish even half the optimization
problems I've encountered fit this profile (pun intended <g>).

   However, to take a real example, I know of a windowing library for a
type of touch screen embedded device (I worked on a different part of the
larger project that it was a part of) whose performance problems are
extremely diffuse. There is no hotspot place to optimize. This is
considered to be a serious problem to a couple of companies that are
involved with this project.
   One can find oneself with hundreds of thousands of lines of code with
no single 1% place that is taking all the CPU thru-put. Or if it is
taking that thru-put there may be no way to optimize it (eg my memory
copying example).

> This points up a small problem with current profiling tools:  they don't
> account for real time, only CPU cycles.  At least the profiling tools
> I've seen have this lack -- I would appreciate pointers to tools that do
> have the means of dealing with wall time as well.

If you don't mind doing your profiling running on Intel hardware (I've
personally found that most performance problems are not related to
processor type though as I've pointed out there are counter examples with
some of the RISC architectures in particular) then check out Intel's
VTune tools.
   http://developer.intel.com/vtune/vtcd/index.htm

I have a friend who deploys on a couple of CPU architectures who thinks
VTune is the best he's found to date. I don't know if it will address
your specific question or not but apparently it has some pretty nice
features.

------------------------------

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't find mail fetched with fetchmail
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:19:22 +0000

Philip S Tellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I use fetchmail, the mail comes in properly, but I do not know
> where it goes from there.

`less /var/log/daemon.log` and `less /var/log/mail.*`. From those files,
you should be able to find out what happened to that email.

> I know it is supposed to be forwarded to port
> 25, but it doesn't end up in anyone's inbox.  What do I have to set the
> local name as?

Firstly, single drop or are you retrieving for a domain (multi-drop?)
If the latter, http://it.net.au/~pc/comp/linux/fetch-for-domain.html
may help you.

> I have looked through the entire manual pages for both fetchmail and
> sendmail.

Sendmail is a mysterious program, sent to baffle us. If you're serious
about getting to know it properly, check out `Sendmail' published by
O'Reilly & Associates; the bat book. Very dense reading and you may
still remain mystified.

> I am also having a problem with "telnet localhost pop3"  I
> get an error:
> bad port no: pop3

Simply because `pop3` isn't a number. Try either 23 (SMTP) or 110 (POP3).

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache and .htaccess file
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:29:04 -0700

I bet what the problem is that the original poster does not have a
public_html directory under his home directory.

Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any free SQL server available?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:41:50 -0400

supporting

But hey, I asked that question on postgres newsgroup and someone told me
it's under Berkley licence. What does this mean?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Short)
Subject: Re: Can't nice find: monolithic kernel effect?
Date: 21 Aug 1999 18:04:54 GMT

Carl Fink ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
<about updatedb>
: most people reading this would know, this slows things down to the
: point of making many tasks impractical, on a fairly fast (300 MHz M2)
: system.
: The obvious thing to do was to edit the script and nice the find, so
: I did.  I niced it to +19, the lowest priority there is.  It was
: (subjectively) *exactly* as paralyzing as before, which seemed odd to
: me.

What tasks?  I can happily run updatedb on my P120 without any adverse
effects.  Basically if you do a `find /' then the limiting factor is
going to be the access speed of the disk.  If you don't have a lot of
memory (I've got 48 Meg) and you are running something which uses lots
of disk accesses (eg Netscape) then that might seem slow.

: Is this correct, or even plausible?  Would this be one of the
: advantages claimed for microkernel based OSes (e.g. Hurd), the fact
: that the filesystem code isn't part of the kernel and can therefore
: have its priority adjusted?

Being able to allocate access priority would certainly help the
responsiveness (which is already how the processor scheduling works
under unix)

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.sex.fetish.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.security,esp.comp.so.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Have you heard?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:05:43 -0400

Goran Devic wrote:

> I suggest we wait until they start shipping it :-}
>
> Oystein Viggen wrote:
>
> > "Nathan Neal" wrote:
> >
> > > Microsoft challenges hackers to break into Windows 2000
> > >
> > > In a controversial move, Microsoft Corporation has made one of its Windows
> > > 2000 Servers on the Internet available to hackers, inviting people to
> > > attempt to break in. The goal: To make Windows 2000 as industrial strength
> > > as possible. The company says it is looking for any "magic bullet" attacks
> > > that can kill it, and has asked hackers to follow some simple rules so that
> > > they can determine the validity of any attacks. Since the server went online
> > > Tuesday morning, it has yet to be hacked.
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > That's probably correct. It has crashed several times since then,
> > though...  :)
> >
> > Oystein
> > --
> > "But you know what they say - The world wasn't built in a day"

I agree, we have to wait until they ship to see anything.

nmap showed only port 80 open.  That is fine and wonderful for a box
that ONLY is running a webserver, that does not log anywhere else, that
does not have printing capability, that does not have any type of
services running - sendmail, nfs, logger, time synchronizer, netbios,
snmp, imap, domain, pop-3, smtp, nntp, etc.  Who runs such a box?   Not
even a desktop word processing machine is that barren.

Now, put a desktop box with all the 'typical' services turned on and not
this laboratory, sterile thing with nothing but the web server
running...

That's why their challenge is more than a dumb stunt, it'll actually get
people broken into because they'll have heard of it and will not think
they need a firewall or a packet filter and they'll have all the normal
services turned on.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which POP3 Server?
Date: 21 Aug 1999 16:15:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Lynn Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: tomislav wrote:

:> A POP3 server comes with Redhat 6.0. It is in the IMAP rpm package. Just
:> uncomment the pop3 line in inetd.conf and it's ready to go. No
:> configuring needed.

: This is not quite true, by default,it will not relay nor accept any
: connections. in.popd also refuses to operate by default... Alot of
: setup is required

My experience was that of the original poster--just uncomment the pop3
server in /etc/inetd.conf, HUP inetd, and it was ready to go.

 Michael | mfaurot  | Justice, n.:
 Faurot  | atww.net |   A decision in your favor.