Linux-Misc Digest #551, Volume #19               Sun, 21 Mar 99 15:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: License question (Cooper)
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? (Jet)
  Symlinks to second hard disk ("Bob Stickel")
  Re: PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work (Jet)
  Re: knews:  How to stop downloading all groups every time? (Eric Potter)
  Re: Auto login ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IE5 under Linux (Anubis)
  Re: Question about ZIP Disks with Linux (diahedrial)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (dlr)
  Re: Linux Emulator for Windows? ("Moribund")
  Triple boot best way? ("Kara Anne Kalel")
  Re: Linux behind MS Proxy (Dennis Fiedler)
  Re: Toshiba 4030CDT or 2540XCDT with Linux? (Anthony Campbell)
  Re: Netscape "from" weird (Ian Hay)
  Re: Auto login ? (UnKnown)
  system v (Snows)
  Re: IE 5.0 on Unix Solaris -- What does this mean? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Seeking Mr. Gero Netscape Bookmarks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work  ("David
J. DeFrain")

From: Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: License question
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:55:55 -0100

No Spam wrote:

> Are we allowed to sell distributions of Linux? ie Can we burn Slackware or
> RedHat on CD's and sell it? or just distribute it freely?

I think you can sell it for a profit, but when you do that you should take into
account that these CD's are available really cheap (http://www.cheapbytes.com)
so it might not be worth your while.
Typically, vendors sell the Linux cd's at just a little bit over CD production
prices. I don't think you can compete with that.

Cooper
--
Linux: Proof of intelligent life on earth

------------------------------

From: Jet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:00:39 -0800

> The RedHat manual isn't worth $50.  After you have loaded your first
> system you are done with it.  Forever.  At least the SuSE manual is good
> enough you will use it as a reference.   When upgrading there is nothing
> to be lost by getting a $2 CD.

Macillian puts out a RH set. It cost $40 at a local retailer. (Same for
Official RH), it has three CD's. One contains complete versions of RH
Linux Unleased, Special Edition Using Linux, Maximum RPM and Teach
Yourself Linux in 24 hours. The set also contains the RH manual. Email
tech support is also included. I am a newbie, and have found it well
worth the price.

2000.txt: The sig file for the Next Millennium

email me at jetgal at earthlink dot net

------------------------------

From: "Bob Stickel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Symlinks to second hard disk
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:16:00 -0500

I'd like to move some apps from my now swelling 1.6 gb primary drive to the
virtually unused 1.6 gb second drive. Is there a safe way to do this and
maintain links to libs and executables?

Example: other than for Linux itself, Samba, Apache and some other base
system apps, I'd like to move all of graphics, database, utility and dev
apps to /hdb. I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure what this will do to the lib
links and if a symbolic link back to /hda is all that is needed.

Thanks

Bob

------------------------------

From: Jet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't
Work
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:05:16 -0800

David J. DeFrain wrote:

> I've installed RH 5.2 on my PC and have been trying to get PPP working.
> I've configured the modem with Linuxconf, and when I dial it with "Usernet"
> the modem connects to my ISP and establishes a session - Usernet's green
> light goes on.  However, none of my Internet apps, such as Netscape or Lynx,
> will use the modem connection - they just sit there.

I'm a newbie, and FWIW, I never could get my Internet apps to work with
"Usernet". So, I now use pppd.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: knews:  How to stop downloading all groups every time?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 16:11:16 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

Nick Dreyer enlightened this group thus:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:44:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wroth:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer) writes:
>>
>>> Next time I go into knews, the groups get down loaded again.
>>
>>In "man knews" we find...
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>       +/-active
>>              Sets   the   resource   'Knews.readActiveFile'   to
>>              True/False.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>       readActiveFile
>>              Setting this to False will stop knews from  reading
>>              the  active  file when connecting, using the groups
>>              in the newsrc file instead.   This  will  speed  up
>>              connection on slow lines if you don't have too many
>>              subscribed groups.  The default is the value of the
>>              resource  Knews.readActiveFile,  whose  default  is
>>              True.
>>

> Aahh.  I did scan that, but the term "active file" meant nothing to me (it's
> not exactly the most descriptive name either).
>
> Thanks for helping me get up to speed on newsgroup terminology.
>
>>> Finaly what does the message about not finding domain name mean?
>>
>>You have not set a domain name *on your machine*.  I don't recall
>>offhand where knews gets this from, but I think if you just set a
>>fully-qualified host name (mymachine.mydomain.com) using the
>>"hostname" command it will be happy.
>
> No luck with that.  I had just a minimal hostname, "home".  Now I changed it
> to "nick.dreyer.home.oz.net" in both the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files.
> Rebooted, tried running knews as non-root user, all to no avail.  Can't seem
> to get rid of the message
>
>knews: Couldn't determine domain name.  Posting will not be possible.
>
> and it's true, as it says:  Posting isn't allowed.
>
> Any other ideas?  I'll poke around a bit to see where else the hostname might
> be hidden . . .
>
>|\|.

Try setting the NNTPSERVER environmental variable.  There is also a place to set
this in the knews app-defaults file.  You can also set this variable when you
compile knews, or have knews read this information from a file of your choice.
--
   *  ^  \     ___@
 *^  / \  \   |  \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Auto login ?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 15:27:27 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Eugene Strulyov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: uh-huh
: let's auto login and throw all security out the window

Don't knock him until you know what he wants it for...
It might be some kind of datalogging box that has no screen/keyboard and
needs to reboot and continue where it left off after a power failure without
any need for human intervention...

(Or something)

No keyboard is security enough.

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anubis)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:07:34 -0600

Spyder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> WARGY wrote:
> >
> > M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> > be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)
> >
> > WARGY
>
> Exactly why would you want to do such a hanous thing?

Does it matter?

Perhaps because he exercised his free will and thought and decided that
for whatever reasons he would like to use IE as his web browser?

At any rate, he asked a simple question-- he did not ask what you thought
of his choice to use a MS product.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:14:33 +0000
From: diahedrial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Question about ZIP Disks with Linux

A Bit Scruffy wrote:

> I use a scsi zip 100 without any problems
>
> Scruffy
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb in Nachricht
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Does anyone know if and when I finally get my ZIP disk drive to work
> >with Linux, if I can then access my DOS formatted ZIP disks?
> >
> >Or will I have to format them with a Unix/Linux Partition thus making
> >it non-cross platformable?
> >
> >Ian
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No problem, I use both DOS & ext2 formated zip disks all the time.
If it's a DOS formated disk:
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip
I don't know what your zip drive will be in /dev, but the pre-formatted
zip disks use partition 4. They also work great repartitioned & formated
ext2.
-diahedrial

------------------------------

From: dlr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:13:49 +0000

jik- wrote:

> Jason Rotunno wrote:
> >
> > when i read "what ditro" threads a lot of the benefits and drawbacks
> > discussed have dealt with setup/configuration and x.  not taking into
> > consideration x, WM's, x apps, etc is there any real difference between
> > the major distros aside from setup?
>
> Yes, though really the only distro that stands out as different is
> slackware.  It doesn't use rpm or deb or whatever, it uses tgz.  It also
> has a completely different default init confinguration.

Slackware is an excellent--if minimalist--distrib.  It is very clean, all
around.  Configuration is done by hand, through way of editing configuration
files, which *aren't* burried five directories deep.  I just switched to Red
Hat 5.2, as it is glibc based.  Because of my inexperience, I wasn't able to
successfully install glibc on the libc based Slackware distribution.  Not
taking this into consideration, Slackware is a most elegant distribution.

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "Moribund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Emulator for Windows?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:00:15 -0500

Steve D. Perkins wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>    This might sound like a really dumb question (and might earn a few
>flame replies!)... but does anyone know of any good (freeware or
>commercial) Linux emulators for MSWindows?  I'm stuck having to use NT
>at work... and sure would love the ability to run some of my favorite
>Linux/X apps through it....

    Check out www.vmware.com.  They arn't nessecarily coding a MSWindows
emulator but software which allows you to run Windows 95/NT in a window
under X.  They have screenshots showing NT loading up in a window under X.
Looks pretty cool and they have a beta available now.  I'm guessing they'll
go commercial with it when they're done with the beta -- probably cost a
million bucks to boot.  :(

                  Damond

------------------------------

From: "Kara Anne Kalel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc
Subject: Triple boot best way?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:17:31 -0500

What is the best and easiest way for someone to set up a triple boot system
with RH 5.2?

I've got a P2-350 with 128mb of ram, and a 6.4 gb drive with partitioned as
c: fat16, d: fat16, linux native, and linux swap. I've got W95 on C, NT4WS
(sp3) on D, and a small 8mb partition at the front of the drive that I
reserved for a boot manager program.

Should I use Boot Commander that came with Partition Magic 4.0, or LILO that
came with Red Hat?

I'm a Linux newbie, but I put together this system so my boyfriend could
learn NT and I can learn Linux. I've worked with NT and Solaris quite a bit,
but not much Linux.

Thanks in advance!
Kara
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 (remove the /dev/null for my address)

------------------------------

From: Dennis Fiedler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux behind MS Proxy
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 05:43:35 +1000

> Gergo Barany schreef:
> >
> > Colin wrote:
> > >
> > > You're using that god-awful M$ Proxy instead of your linux box?
> > > Ewww, go back to M$ products exclusively.

Well I'm a linux newbie and I have had MS Proxy for a while, so if I can
avoid 1) buying another proxy product 2) rearranging my entire server
setup (strong believer in: 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'). I will
avoid it. and seeing as I have been a Win x user for pretty much my entire
computing life, I think I'll need to familiarise myself with linux first.
I'm still having troubles installing programs such as licq and x11amp. let
alone setting up servers :P

Have Fun!
Dennis Fiedler

email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Toshiba 4030CDT or 2540XCDT with Linux?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:02:41 GMT

On 21 Mar 99 05:45:39 GMT, Brian Jonathan Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was shopping around for a notebook computer and decided that
>I should either get a 4030CDT or 2540XCDT.  My plans are to
>mainly run Linux on it, but I can't seem to find references to
>these models in the HOWTO FAQs.  Has anyone tried Linux on these?
>
>The 4030CDT worries me because I don't know what PCMCIA chipset
>it uses, and I have no idea whether XFree runs on the Cyber 9525.
>
>The 2540XCDT seems much more compatible with the S3 Virge/MX,
>but I'd prefer a real Intel CPU.
>
>Any comments?  What do you think?
>bjl

I'm not sure what the difference between the 4000CDT and the 4030CDT is but
I expect not very much. In that case, have a look at my website:

www.achc.demon.co.uk/linux/linux-toshiba.html

I have set out my experience installing linux on this machine. However I
haven't set up the pcmcia stuff since I decided to use an external modem
(Courier), which is fine.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/index.html

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape "from" weird
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:04:17 GMT

This is because Netscape (for some odd reason) decided that the sender:
header would trump the From: header.  You can fix it by adding the line:

user_pref("mail.suppress_sender_header", true);

to ~/.netscape/preferences.js - Make sure that Netscape is not running
while you do this.

I.

Martin Soderstrom wrote:

> I recently installed Netscape 4.08 in hopes of centralizing my
> browser/mail/news under Linux.  Everything is working pretty good, but
> for some reason my "From:" id is not what I entered in the Identity
> preference.
>
> I entered the usual [EMAIL PROTECTED], but when I post, my address is
> being listed as Martin Soderstrom <"name"@domain.comIncoming mail
> sepoprver:>

Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
Linuxing about since June 21, 1998 <Redhat 5.1 - 2.0.35>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (UnKnown)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:57:54 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 06:51:19 GMT, Eugene Strulyov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrotd:

>uh-huh
>let's auto login and throw all security out the window

If you're the only one who use your computer, then what's the use of
login-security?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Snows)
Subject: system v
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:04:58 GMT

I am having trouble with finding the information about system v. Does
anyone know where I can find anything about system v 's design goals
, architecure, implementation like ipc, anming etc.

Thanx for any help

Snows.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IE 5.0 on Unix Solaris -- What does this mean?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 17:21:15 GMT

In his obvious haste, Benjamin Sher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Since Linux, as I understand it, is 95 percent Unix, would it not be
: possible to, theoretically at least, port it to Linux?

I SERIOUSLY doubt that Micky$$$oft would supply the source code for this
abomination.

Would the reason for
: not doing so be a) Microsoft's proprietary code, b) the desire not to
: pollute Linux with a Microsoft application, even one specifically designed
: for a flavor of Unix or c) because of the inherent weaknesses or problems
: or other unacceptable features of IE's architecture, design or
: implementation? or d) obviously, all of the above?

d.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Seeking Mr. Gero Netscape Bookmarks
Date: 21 Mar 1999 17:18:57 GMT

In his obvious haste, Gero H. Marten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: What else can I say? I don't know of a way to automatically sort
: bookmarks in Netscape for Linux. In fact it is not possible.

Well... I'm using netscape 3 on unix (I prefer it to netscape 4), and if I
go to Window->bookmarks, highlight the root bookmark file and then go to
Edit->sort bookmarks, it worked for me...

I checked netscape 4 on unix and the option to sort is there, but it was
greyed out...

Perhaps if it's a critical reason to require sorting of bookmarks, you
should install Netscape 3 instead? Or write a script to do it?
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

From: "David J. DeFrain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:50:44 -0500

I've installed RH 5.2 on my PC and have been trying to get PPP working.
I've configured the modem with Linuxconf, and when I dial it with "Usernet"
the modem connects to my ISP and establishes a session - Usernet's green
light goes on.  However, none of my Internet apps, such as Netscape or Lynx,
will use the modem connection - they just sit there.  I've had this modem
working before with Linux, so I'm reasonably familiar with the settings
involved.  This one has me stumped.  Anybody point me in a direction?
Thanks.

BTW - This modem works in Windows 98.