Linux-Misc Digest #552, Volume #19               Sun, 21 Mar 99 17:13:16 EST

Contents:
  Re: IE5 under Linux ("Robert J. Hansen")
  Re: IE5 under Linux (Erhard Siegl)
  Re: IE5 under Linux (Emile van Bergen)
  dumb newbie mistake with LILO ("Jim Ray")
  Re: Screen blanking stops modem! (HELP) (diahedrial)
  mgetty question(s) ("Brian E. Parker")
  Re: Triple boot best way? (Dan Nguyen)
  IRC Server ("Jeff Grossman")
  Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents for
these Windoze programs? (Linux User)
  Re: Triple boot best way? ("William H. Pridgen")
  NETSHOWCOPY FOR LINUX -- now available! ("Benjamin Sher")
  Windowmaker- silly question ? (Len Cuff)
  Re: COMMERCIAL: LivePage ContentServer for Linux Beta ("David R. Newman")
  NetshowCopy for Linux -- NOT available! ("Benjamin Sher")
  DR3: IP FORWARDING Problems ("Levi C. Maaia")
  Re: penthium performance problem (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Tye W. Botting)
  NETSHOW FOR LINUX -- from Taiwan! ("Benjamin Sher")
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (David M. Cook)
  Re: Windowmaker- silly question ? (Mike)

From: "Robert J. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:59:47 -0600

> I have heard that it is possible to set up Linux/Sparc to run SunOS/Solaries
> binaries - by installing some additional shared libs and such - but a friend
> of mine, who has Linux running on his Sun Sparc Classis, was not able to get
> it working.

The SCO compatability is, as far as I know, perfect.  I know people who
were running Oracle on Linux before it was released for Linux by running
it through the SCO compatability libs.  I think MS IE5 wouldn't be any
different, although I do wonder why the heck you'd want to try it.

------------------------------

From: Erhard Siegl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:03:58 +0100

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, "Robert J. Hansen" wrote:

>The SCO compatability is, as far as I know, perfect.  I know people who
>were running Oracle on Linux before it was released for Linux by running
>it through the SCO compatability libs.

The SCO compatibility is good, but as far as I tried programs using
IP won't work. I got the binaries of big packages running, but a simple
gethostbyname wouln't work.

Greetings,

Erhard

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."
                                                                -Voltaire

------------------------------

From: Emile van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:49:35 +0100

Andy Piper wrote:

> James Lewis wrote:
> >
> > WARGY wrote:
> >
> > > M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> > > be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)
> >
> > Why would you even want to?  I mean really....what would be the point...
> > it would crash far to often to be useable.
>
> Well, Netscape 4.5 does, so why should IE 5 be any
> different?

Just stick to Netscape 3.04 Gold. Has an html editor, mail/newsreader,
the complete package is much smaller (on disk and in memory) than even
the standalone Navigator 4.0x or 4.5 (leave alone communicator), and
crashes far, far less often. I was tempted many times to try one of
those 4 series, but only to switch back to 3.04 in a few days.

And oh, it already has full java/jscript/https support. No CSS, though.

--

M.vr.gr. / Best regards,

Emile van Bergen (e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

This e-mail message is 100% electronically degradeable and produced
on a GNU/Linux system.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: dumb newbie mistake with LILO
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:00:30 -0500

When I was recently installing RedHat 5.2, I forgot to make the partition
that I boot Linux to bootable, and LILO can't really do me any good on a non
bootable partition.  Can I go back in with fdisk and make it a bootable
partition without killing my entire partition or do I need to reinstall?

Jim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
if replying, remove "nospam" from email field

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:17:32 +0000
From: diahedrial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Screen blanking stops modem! (HELP)

jiva wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 22:06:52 +0000, Nicholas Pappas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> You might check your BIOS for power management options. It might be possible
> to have it monitor the com port and not 'sleep'. Or in any case disable power
> management
>
> >    I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me an idea as to why
> >this happening.
> >
> >    I just installed Red Hat 5.2 and have very little 'extras' set up --
> >screen savers included.  My screen still blanks out after (about, or
> >quicker then) 10 minutes of inactivity, and when this happens my modem
> >seems to enjoy just stopping.
> >    The connection is not lost (unless dropped by my ISP) and the
> >download normally resumes as soon as I un-blank the screen.  I have
> >found that this is mainly a problem in Netscape Navigator, as I can
> >sometimes get my ftp program to continue -- but it too has stopped
> >responding when the screen goes out.
> >    I have a 56K PCMCIA modem in a desktop reader.  I get a great
> >connection and very good speeds through the modem, it is just this darn
> >blanking problem that irks me.
> >
> >    If anyone has any insight on this I would be very interested in
> >hearing them!  Or, if someone can tell me how to turn off that blanking
> >program I might be able to forget about it. :)

Turn off the "screensaver" with the following command:
xset s off
hope that helps,
-diahedrial

------------------------------

From: "Brian E. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mgetty question(s)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:37:41 -0600

Hello!

  I have been dinking with PPP, and have RedHat 5.2 on a laptop that dials
into a PPP server just fine.  My next step is getting one of my RedHat 5.2
boxes set up to answer incoming PPP calls.  I've dropped 3 modems in it, and
set up a rollover group (on the 3 lines) to handle the calls coming in.

  I thought I remembered that someone said to use MGETTY to handle my
incoming calls.  The incoming calls will be from Win '9x machines, and using
PAP, I guess.

1) Where should I get MGETTY from?

2) Is it the 'best' program for what I need?  By best, I mean easy to use
and stable.  This machine isn't going to get a lot of calls, just one or 2 a
night.  I don't need any bloatware that does accounting, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
-BEP

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc
Subject: Re: Triple boot best way?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 20:55:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Kara Anne Kalel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: What is the best and easiest way for someone to set up a triple boot system
: with RH 5.2?

: I've got a P2-350 with 128mb of ram, and a 6.4 gb drive with partitioned as
: c: fat16, d: fat16, linux native, and linux swap. I've got W95 on C, NT4WS
: (sp3) on D, and a small 8mb partition at the front of the drive that I
: reserved for a boot manager program.

: Should I use Boot Commander that came with Partition Magic 4.0, or LILO that
: came with Red Hat?

: I'm a Linux newbie, but I put together this system so my boyfriend could
: learn NT and I can learn Linux. I've worked with NT and Solaris quite a bit,
: but not much Linux.

I suggest using the Boot Commander, I've never used it but I know that
it does a good job.  But don't through away LILO.  My suggestion is to
have lilo install itself the the begining of the paritition rather
than the MBR.  That way, Boot Commander simple loads up the parition,
and then LILO takes over from there.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IRC Server
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:12:59 -0800

How does one go about setting up an IRC server on a Linux machine?  I am
running Red Hat 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36.  Can anybody point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linux User)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:02:47 GMT

I've finally got RedHat 5.2 running with WindowMaker and an updated
kernel to 2.2.3. And I find it it MUCH more beautiful than Win98
(because of WinMaker?) and incredibly more faster and more reliable.

But still, I don't standard bootup my computer with Linux. Why? Well,
because, you can say what you want about Windoze, it got some pretty
good programs written for it.
And I doubt that I'll bootup with linux before I can get their
Linux-equivalents.

What I really want to know, are there linux eq- for these programs?
(and I don't mean using Wine to open them. I mean real Linuxmade
programs)

A good and easy to use offline news-reader like Forte Agent, which is
able to decode binaries with a single click of the mouse, sorting
headers on subject, and launcing binaries with one click.

A powerfull and versatile e-mail program, equal to Eudora Pro 4 or
higher. Maintining mailboxes with drag-and-drop, filtering incoming
message and put them in the appropiate mailbox, an windowssystem,
which allows you to switch from one mailbox/message to another easily
with a taskbar, save and launch attachment easily. But what's even
more important, as a user you can backup the mails you received by
just backupping the mailboxes.

A good file manager, equal to Windows Explorer. you can say what you
want, but the windows explorer is a good file manager. Drag-and drop
is just very easy to use.
So the linux-equal should be supporting drag-and-drop, keyboard
commands (copy and move,etc), configurable with all kind of
decorations, execute files with a double click and a configurable look
of how you browse files (details, list or in Linux tems ls-l ls ls-a)

A fast image viewer program, equal to ACDsee. It must be FAST,
FAST,FAST, have a browser-option which allows you to maintain your
image files easily, supports keyboard command (delete, move, copy) adn
it must be fast.

A good image program equal to Paint Shop Pro. With only one musthave
option. Batch conversion. Convert a bunch of image files into another
file system with only three clicks.

(And Netscape, but I already got Netscape for Linux)

If these programs exists, then please tell me where I can get them.

------------------------------

From: "William H. Pridgen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:23:50 -0600

Dan Nguyen wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Kara Anne Kalel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : What is the best and easiest way for someone to set up a triple boot system
> : with RH 5.2?
>
> : I've got a P2-350 with 128mb of ram, and a 6.4 gb drive with partitioned as
> : c: fat16, d: fat16, linux native, and linux swap. I've got W95 on C, NT4WS
> : (sp3) on D, and a small 8mb partition at the front of the drive that I
> : reserved for a boot manager program.
>
> : Should I use Boot Commander that came with Partition Magic 4.0, or LILO that
> : came with Red Hat?
>
> : I'm a Linux newbie, but I put together this system so my boyfriend could
> : learn NT and I can learn Linux. I've worked with NT and Solaris quite a bit,
> : but not much Linux.
>
> I suggest using the Boot Commander, I've never used it but I know that
> it does a good job.  But don't through away LILO.  My suggestion is to
> have lilo install itself the the begining of the paritition rather
> than the MBR.  That way, Boot Commander simple loads up the parition,
> and then LILO takes over from there.

Another way to go would be to use the "postcardware" program BOOTPART.
It can add Linux, or anything else, to the Windows NT loader.

--
Bill Pridgen
--

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETSHOWCOPY FOR LINUX -- now available!
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:28:21 GMT

Dear friends:

A program called NetShowCopy (now renamed OI Net Theater), which allows you
to download, record and play MS NetShow programs is now available for Linux
at:

http://linuxfiles.fsn.net/files/multimed/video.html
--
Benjamin Sher
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windowmaker- silly question ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:19:11 +0000

I've got SuSE 6 installed and wmaker but when I try startx wmaker I get
the usual fvwm2 ! How do I get wmaker to work ?
Cheers,
        Len

------------------------------

From: "David R. Newman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COMMERCIAL: LivePage ContentServer for Linux Beta
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:29:58 GMT

So what do YOU mean by a content server? To me any http server is a
content server. PR types often make the mistake of thinking that
everyone in the world knows, or is interested in, all their company's
products.

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NetshowCopy for Linux -- NOT available!
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:37:20 GMT

Dear friends:

Sorry folks: Just tried to download it. I get an HTTP 404 error.

From: "Levi C. Maaia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DR3: IP FORWARDING Problems
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:39:03 GMT

I have DR3 that I downloaded and installed from the Apple FTP site.  I'm

attempting to install IP Masquerade.  I'm unable to get the Mach_Kernel
to compile with the neccesary IP FORWARDING enabled.  I get a compile
time error. Can anyone help...any experience with this?
--
Peace,
Levi

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.comcreations.com/levi/

QUOTE OF THE POST:
*******************
"Before they invented drawing boards,
 what did they go back to?"

               - STEVEN WRIGHT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
Subject: Re: penthium performance problem
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:42:07 +0100

Stefano Ghirlanda schrieb in Nachricht ...
>Hi,
>I have a machine with a Pentium 133. I get from /proc/cpuinfo:
>
>processor       : 0
>cpu             : 586
>model           : Pentium 75+
><stuff deleted>
>bogomips        : 1.90
<snip>
> Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
>    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
>Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

Hello Stefano,
first, does your machine has something like a TURBOSWITCH? Perhaps it's OFF.
Second you should check your motherbord. Are all jumpersettings correct for
the P133?
Third you should check the bios of your mb. Are the internal and external
caches enabled?

Did you check the CPU? Perhaps its REALY a P75 (overclocked)?

Bernd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tye W. Botting)
Date: 21 Mar 1999 21:40:16 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:02:47 GMT, Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> put forth:
% What I really want to know, are there linux eq- for these programs?
% (and I don't mean using Wine to open them. I mean real Linuxmade
% programs)

        Yes, and more.  Some with slightly different capabilities, but
        along the same lines as what you mention below.

% A good and easy to use offline news-reader like Forte Agent, which is
% able to decode binaries with a single click of the mouse, sorting
% headers on subject, and launcing binaries with one click.

        Not sure - KDE's Newsclient (krn) probably.  Xrn maybe?  Netscape
        news, too.  Still, I like the non-graphical ones like slrn.

% A powerfull and versatile e-mail program, equal to Eudora Pro 4 or
% higher. Maintining mailboxes with drag-and-drop, filtering incoming
% message and put them in the appropiate mailbox, an windowssystem,
% which allows you to switch from one mailbox/message to another easily
% with a taskbar, save and launch attachment easily. But what's even
% more important, as a user you can backup the mails you received by
% just backupping the mailboxes.

        Many many mailclients.  KDE's kmail, Netscape's mail, etc.
        Me, I just prefer plain ol' PINE.

% A good file manager, equal to Windows Explorer. you can say what you
% want, but the windows explorer is a good file manager. Drag-and drop
% is just very easy to use.

        Ick - I use Windows Commander if I'm in Billy's Playland 98.

% So the linux-equal should be supporting drag-and-drop, keyboard
% commands (copy and move,etc), configurable with all kind of
% decorations, execute files with a double click and a configurable look
% of how you browse files (details, list or in Linux tems ls-l ls ls-a)

        KDE's kfm.  Others are nice, too, but unsure which also have
        drag and drop like kfm.  And there's always midnight commander
        and it's tk-version, tkmc.  Sehr gut!  Also xfm.

% A fast image viewer program, equal to ACDsee. It must be FAST,
% FAST,FAST, have a browser-option which allows you to maintain your
% image files easily, supports keyboard command (delete, move, copy) adn
% it must be fast.

        GIMP!  Comes with most distros.  Plus other just plain viewers,
        like XV and KDE's image viewer.

% A good image program equal to Paint Shop Pro. With only one musthave
% option. Batch conversion. Convert a bunch of image files into another
% file system with only three clicks.

        GIMP again!  IIRC, more image types than PSP.  More like Adobe's
        Photoshop with it's capabilities.  Balshoii horoshaugh! (sp)

% (And Netscape, but I already got Netscape for Linux)
% If these programs exists, then please tell me where I can get them.

        This'll no doubt stir up things here, but I think KDE has what
        you're looking for for the most part.  Nothing against, GNOME -
        I just haven't used it.  (I'm running Mandrake 5.3 and it came
        with KDE and I'm still having fun with that - I'm sure I'll
        look into GNOME and others more soon.  Did like AfterStep a lot,
        but found it hard to customize - probably something that's
        easy if I would have stuck with it.)

Tye Botting                       Northern Shaolin / Northern Praying Mantis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         Remy Presas' Modern Arnis
http://www.kungfuFOIL.cc                         Yang Style Taijiquan

 **[Remove the FOIL from my addresses to respond via e-mail.  DIE spam DIE!]

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETSHOW FOR LINUX -- from Taiwan!
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:04:25 GMT

Dear friends:

This Netshow on again, off again story is as troubling to me as to you. I
just found a site in Taiwan that has the MS NETSHOW BETA for Linux, the one
that's not available on MS's own site. But please remember to check MS's
site for instructions on how to install it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/download/unix.htm

I do NOT as yet have Linux. I will be installing it this week. So, please
let us all know if this Taiwanese version of Netshow works. Thanks so much.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:08:18 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:02:47 GMT, Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A good starting place to begin foraging for apps is

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/linux.html

>A good and easy to use offline news-reader like Forte Agent, which is

Need a porn reader?  Netscape is not bad for browsing the porn groups.  For
downloading large amounts of stuff, I use SLRN.  It has a program called
slrnpull for downloading from groups for offline reading.  You might also
look into a program called linleech.

>A powerfull and versatile e-mail program, equal to Eudora Pro 4 or

I use the following software:

popclient: fetchmail
mail filter: procmail
mail client: mutt
editor: jed

I've never seen a GUI mailreader or newsreader that was very good, but YMMV.

>A good file manager, equal to Windows Explorer. you can say what you

An obvious one is one that comes with KDE.  There are lots of others; see
http://freshmeat.net.  I prefer the commander style of filemanager like
FileRunner.

>A fast image viewer program, equal to ACDsee. It must be FAST,

xv is fast.  It has a browser called the visual schnauzer.

>A good image program equal to Paint Shop Pro. With only one musthave

You can do batch conversion with ImageMagick's convert program.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: Re: Windowmaker- silly question ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:01:48 GMT

Hi,
I use RedHat but you might go ahead and start fvwm and then switch to
WindowMaker from there. I think it's under the shutdown or quit menu
then switch to... menu. Can't remember exactly. Also you could try
just putting exec wmaker in your .xinitrc file in your home directory
and then typing startx at the prompt.
HTH
mike