Linux-Misc Digest #575, Volume #19               Tue, 23 Mar 99 07:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: Dosemu Mouse Problem (Reinhard Karcher)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Michael Powe)
  Re: identd and user nobody (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Netscape & Freezing (Ansgar Radermacher)
  Re: How to customize sound - volume settings that startup... (Stuart Miles)
  Netshow for Linux -- Very puzzled, folks! ("Benjamin Sher")
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (Richard Steiner)
  ram drives smart? (oak)
  Re: RedHat, The Next MS (steve)
  Re: mount a big partition (Ulf Bohman)
  SuSE 6.0: Simple Q ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help with editing makefiles (Michael Powe)
  Re: Public license question (Michael Powe)
  Re: Public license question (Lynn Winebarger)
  Re: Public license question (Lynn Winebarger)
  Re: Staroffice New Documents? ("Gazza")
  Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux? (Alexander Viro)
  Re: Distributions with 2.2.x kernel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Names to call Windows... (Donn Miller)
  Re: No setup signature found (I can't believe no one knows!) (Julius Longauer)
  Re: I've had it with linuxmall! (Richard Steiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Reinhard Karcher)
Date: 22 Mar 99 10:33:49 GMT
Crossposted-To: conp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dosemu Mouse Problem

Mike Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am running the following versions:

>        Red Hat 5.2
>        Kernel  2.0.36
>        dosemu  0.98.5-1
>        KDE     1.1-3
>        MS-DOS  6.20

Hi Mike,
could you post your dosemu.conf and .dosemurc (if used).

Reinhard

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: 22 Mar 1999 01:12:56 -0800

    Linux> I've finally got RedHat 5.2 running with WindowMaker and an
    Linux> updated kernel to 2.2.3. And I find it it MUCH more
    Linux> beautiful than Win98 (because of WinMaker?) and incredibly
    Linux> more faster and more reliable.

    Linux> But still, I don't standard bootup my computer with
    Linux> Linux. Why? Well, because, you can say what you want about
    Linux> Windoze, it got some pretty good programs written for it.
    Linux> And I doubt that I'll bootup with linux before I can get
    Linux> their Linux-equivalents.

    Linux> What I really want to know, are there linux eq- for these
    Linux> programs?  (and I don't mean using Wine to open them. I
    Linux> mean real Linuxmade programs)

    Linux> A good and easy to use offline news-reader like Forte
    Linux> Agent, which is able to decode binaries with a single click
    Linux> of the mouse, sorting headers on subject, and launcing
    Linux> binaries with one click.

Gnus/Emacs.  Learn to use the keyboard, it's much faster than the
mouse.

    Linux> A powerfull and versatile e-mail program, equal to Eudora
    Linux> Pro 4 or higher. Maintining mailboxes with drag-and-drop,
    Linux> filtering incoming message and put them in the appropiate
    Linux> mailbox, an windowssystem, which allows you to switch from
    Linux> one mailbox/message to another easily with a taskbar, save
    Linux> and launch attachment easily. But what's even more
    Linux> important, as a user you can backup the mails you received
    Linux> by just backupping the mailboxes.

nmh/exmh/mh-e.  I'll bet I get my mail sorted before you've even
figured out what folder to put it in ... and I do it without touching
a mouse.

    Linux> A good file manager, equal to Windows Explorer. you can say
    Linux> what you want, but the windows explorer is a good file
    Linux> manager. Drag-and drop is just very easy to use.  So the

Bleccchh.  In 1990 I was using a shareware file manager that beat the
holy crap out of Windows Explorer.  Do the math.  I almost never need
one in linux & when I do, I mostly use dired in emacs; when I'm
playing `root' I move files around on the system with GIT.

    Linux> A fast image viewer program, equal to ACDsee. It must be
    Linux> FAST, FAST,FAST, have a browser-option which allows you to
    Linux> maintain your image files easily, supports keyboard command
    Linux> (delete, move, copy) adn it must be fast.

I don't waste much time looking at pictures, when I do need a gif
viewer, I just use XV.

    Linux> A good image program equal to Paint Shop Pro. With only one
    Linux> musthave option. Batch conversion. Convert a bunch of image
    Linux> files into another file system with only three clicks.

The GIMP.  And it doesn't cost $500, either.

It sounds to me like you're married to the Win95 mentality.  That dog
won't hunt in linux.  You need to start asking yourself whether the
way you do things now really is the best way.  Otherwise, you might as
well put FAT32 back on that partition.

mp

- --
Michael Powe                                          Portland, Oregon USA
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.trollope.org
  "Three hours a day will produce as much as a man ought to write."
                         -- Anthony Trollope

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefano Ghirlanda)
Subject: Re: identd and user nobody
Date: 23 Mar 1999 08:52:02 GMT

On 22 Mar 1999 19:38:57 PST, John Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Newbie question...
>Just what is the process "in.identd" and why would it be running for user
>"nobody", and consuming 98% of CPU resources?

ident is a network protocol that lets machines identify each other.
See man identd (with a final d) for details. It shouldn't take 98% of the
CPU. It shoudln't even take up 1%... but I have no idea of how to help
you, sorry.

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:49:49 +0100
From: Ansgar Radermacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape & Freezing

Unfortunately, the suggestion to use the option
-no-irix-session-management does not work for me.

The hint in the FAQ (http://core.freshmeat.net/faq.php3) to use a glibc
version of netscape does not work for me (at least not for
netscape-4.08).

ldd /usr/local/netscape-4.51/netscape
     libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40004000)
     libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x40047000)
     libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x40051000)
     libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x40065000)
     libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x40076000)
     libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40083000)
     libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4008e000)
     libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1 (0x40125000)
     libc.so.5 => not found
     libg++.so.27 => not found
     libstdc++.so.27 => not found
     libm.so.5 => not found
     libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40129000)

ldd /usr/local/netscape-4.08/netscape
     libBrokenLocale.so.1 => /lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 (0x40004000)
     libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40006000)
     libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x4004b000)
     libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x40053000)
     libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x40067000)
     libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x40078000)
     libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40085000)
     libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40090000)
     libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40127000)
     libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4012a000)
     libg++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libg++.so.2.7.2 (0x401cf000)
     libstdc++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2 (0x40203000)
     libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4023e000)

Ansgar Radermacher              |         Department of Computer Science
phone: +49 89 6004 3396         | University of the Federal Armed Forces
fax:   +49 89 6004 2268         `------------.  Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
http://inf2-www.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de |           85577 Neubiberg
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   `--------------------------

------------------------------

From: Stuart Miles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to customize sound - volume settings that startup...
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:09:30 +0000

Andreas Hinz wrote:

> If you run sound as modules, this has to be done every time the modules have
> been rmmod/insmod.
> I do not know how to do this automaticly.

Use post-install in your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules:

post-install <Module Name> mixer pcm 25
post-install <Module Name> mixer line 100

When the module gets loaded it will execute the required commands.

--
Stuart Miles                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Alenia Marconi Systems               Phone: +44 1276 63311

Views expressed are mine and not those of Alenia Marconi Systems

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netshow for Linux -- Very puzzled, folks!
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:41:50 GMT

Dear friends:

I wrote earlier today about the availability of a Netshow version for Linux
from Taiwan and a more recent version for Linux from Italy.

I was quite stunned to discover these. I have downloaded them and will try
them out in the next few days when I get my Linux and learn how to really
use it.

If you read my othe posts, I think you will be quite reassured about my
motives, intentions and where I come from. Of course, that's up to you to
decide.

While I have decided to make a complete break with Microsoft and will be
installing an onlyLinux system (purchased from Cosmos Engineering -- Linux
on a Disk), it is important to me professionally as a Russian translator to
have access to Netshow OR A LINUX EQUIVALENT for certain Russian video and
audio programs. Fortunately, most of the Russian programs are available on
RealPlayer. Still, while I was willing to wait till Linux came up with a
program that could play WMP's files, I thought it might a good idea to do a
little research. So, I used my Copernic98 and up came two sites, one in
Taiwan and one in Italy, each offering a Netshow for Linux. Meanwhile, from
what I have heard, Linux users have been waiting since October for
Microsoft to put out their Netshow for Linux. Is it conceivable that these
versions in Taiwan and Italy are indeed the Microsoft version, only hidden
away in far-away places? I find this quite startling. I will find out
sooner or later. Perhaps a Linux expert can take a look at the two versions
and give us an expert opinion.

The addresses for the Taiwan and Italian versions of Netshow are available
in my other postings. No need to repeat them here.

Thank you all for your kind help.
--
Benjamin Sher
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:47:43 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spake unto us, saying:

>Right! The Win Modems are coming in force. I think it's high time
>someone hacked one.

Based on which (set of nonexistent) specifications?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: oak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ram drives smart?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:30:34 GMT

I used to use an msdos utility that created a smart ram drive, i.e.,
the drive was avaiable for ram disk purposes BUT when the ram disk had
free memory that memory was not wasted it was available to the system
as regular memory. Do linux ram drives behave the same way? I think I
remember someone saying they did a while back.

Thanks,

-Tony

Power User Page      http://www.eskimo.com/~oak/pwr/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Subject: Re: RedHat, The Next MS
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:34:45 GMT

On 20 Mar 1999 02:52:08 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh) wrote:

>Anybody know how to replace RH's logo with a cute
>little penguin throughout their system?

Find an .xpm for it, or are you a naive user?

steve

------------------------------

From: Ulf Bohman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mount a big partition
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:51:23 +0100

> Well, lets say hda is the device and hda1 is the msdos-partition on the
> device hda.
> ( Is it REALY msdos or FAT32 from Win95/98 ??? )

You forgot, if it's FAT32 it is

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

Can't remember if your kernel supports vfat. If it doesn't you'll have to
upgrage it!

/Ulf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SuSE 6.0: Simple Q
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 05:58:36 -0500

Hi,
  I tried SuSE; one word: WOW!

  Quick question: How to change the background color of the
shells/xterms?
   Default white; want black.

  Still looking in the man/info pages. . .

Thanks,

Nonet Pasquali

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with editing makefiles
Date: 22 Mar 1999 01:20:22 -0800

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 21 Mar 1999 00:33:22 -0800

    jedi> On 20 Mar 1999 00:20:08 -0800, Michael Powe
    jedi> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Lynn> In article <DMeI2.709$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PC PRO
    Lynn> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >>  >> Boy are you guys some law-spouting Jeopardy whiz-kids.
    >> Does >> the L in Linux stand for lawyers, or what?  ......

    Lynn> For my own part, I've been reading some law books recently
    Lynn> because I want to be ready if a lawsuit comes my way (for
    Lynn> whatever reason).  I don't trust (or really expect, given a
    Lynn> possible malpractice claim) a lawyer to give me good advice
    Lynn> for aggressively pursuing my rights when the law is
    Lynn> ambiguous about it.

    >>  Hmm, thus giving credence to the old saw, `The man who
    >> represents himself has a fool for a lawyer.'

    jedi>       However, this fellow does not appear to be doing any
    jedi> such thing. He seems to be merely interested in being well
    jedi> enough informed such that he will know when and when not to
    jedi> trust a certain clasess of advisors.

Well, I don't know.  He states baldly that he assumes any attorney he
hires will give him bad advice and disregard the interests of his
client.

    >>  Attorneys make money by winning cases.  They don't give `good'
    >> advice that leads to lost cases.  Personally, that's just the
    >> kind of attorney I'd prefer.  I can't imagine why you'd want
    >> the other kind.

    jedi>       How does one tell the difference?

Indeed, how do you?  The few times I've used attorneys, I've
researched their backgrounds through a local service and then talked
to several on the phone before going in for a consultation with one.

    jedi>       Merely having faith in your experts is not
    jedi> sufficient. Lawyers live to bill, or to win big
    jedi> jackpots. The interaction of these goals with yours may or
    jedi> may not work in your favor.

    jedi>       It is sensible to know if 'Fred' is trying to sell you
    jedi> a lemon.

Maybe, if you have a realistic chance of doing so.  After one term of
C++ at the local college, am I qualified to pass judgement on how the
linux kernel is coded?  I don't think so.  Just so, if I had serious
concerns about how an attorney was handling my case, I'd get advice
from another attorney.

- --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lynn Winebarger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 23 Mar 1999 11:21:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Powe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Lynn> For my own part, I've been reading some law books recently
>    Lynn> because I want to be ready if a lawsuit comes my way (for
>    Lynn> whatever reason).  I don't trust (or really expect, given a
>    Lynn> possible malpractice claim) a lawyer to give me good advice
>    Lynn> for aggressively pursuing my rights when the law is
>    Lynn> ambiguous about it.
>Well, I don't know.  He states baldly that he assumes any attorney he
>hires will give him bad advice and disregard the interests of his
>client.

   Read it again.  That is not what I said.  What I expect is for an
attorney to give me cautious advice designed to avoid litigation, which,
depending on what you want, may not be the best advice.  And, from a
certain perspective, that is the best way for the attorney to behave.
But that does not mean it's best for us to sit on our collective rump
and let those who are willing to (and capabable of) paying lawyers to
sue us determine what is legal and what is not.

    What kind of advice do you think an attorney would have given Rosa
Parks with respect to sitting at the front of the bus?  Would it have
been the best advice for her purposes?

>Maybe, if you have a realistic chance of doing so.  After one term of
>C++ at the local college, am I qualified to pass judgement on how the
>linux kernel is coded?  I don't think so.  Just so, if I had serious
>concerns about how an attorney was handling my case, I'd get advice
>from another attorney.

    You'll note I didn't say I wouldn't consult an attorney at all.
Only that I would try to make my own assessment of the situation, and
not rely solely on an attorney.
   Plus, I tend to think it's disingenuous to totally cede
responsibility for the law to the lawyers.  The law is (supposed to be)
for everyone, not just those who pass the bar, or can afford to hire
those who do so.

Lynn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lynn Winebarger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 23 Mar 1999 11:24:31 GMT

In article <7d6133$f4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Richard E. Hawkins Esq. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd been practicing for three or four years before I was truly
>convinced of the fool for a client business (generally attributed
>to Lincolnd).  And the way it usually happens is (paraphrasing Twain)
>that it's not what he doesn't know that's a problem, it's what he
>knows that's just plain wrong . . .

   I would have thought it would have been the result of being to close
to the situation to make a rational evaluation, rather than just not
doing one's homework.  (The former criticism I can certainly see as
holding validity universally, the latter I don't know about).

Lynn

------------------------------

From: "Gazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Staroffice New Documents?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:22:52 -0000

I found out that I could get it running o.k if I first started KDE, as root
then run Soffice from withing KDE. This is not ideal but at least it gets me
going until I can figure out what I have done wrong.

Garry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 04:09:17 -0500

In article <7d71sq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s> wrote:
>In article <7d4vv2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <7d4sd5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s> wrote:
>>>     Basically because of the registry;  it's an interesting idea to use
>>>     make, though, and the only problem I could see with doing that is
>>>     that the current rc setup has each file call in its prerequisites,
>>>     while make puts the prerequisites elsewhere -- for additional
>>>     packages, like syslog, dhcpd, and xdm/xterm, all I need to do is
>>>     drop the rc files into /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and build the symlinks
>>>     into /etc/rc.d/rc.m, while a makefile based system would require
>>>     that I also tweak the makefile.
>>
>>include /etc/rc.d/rc.m/*.mk
>
>    Ah, so you'd make the whole shebang into makefiles, then just do a
>    `make multiuser' to start them all up.  That's certainly better than
        Or make fragment makefiles call shell scripts if you like it better.
Will work too.
>    carrying around a bunch of shellscripts and patches to the master
>    makefile.  Though how would you maintain a registry showing when
>    each service started? -- if you just kill off services willy-nilly,
>    unkillable orphans will be left lying around (killing networking
>    before shutting down nfs has some, umm, antisocial consequences.)
        Huh?
In the main makefile (or in fragment dealing with networking if it's separate)

network_stop:
        <actions>

in the nfs.mk:

network_stop: nfs_stop

Moreover, you can say
MODLIST += nfs
network_DEP += nfs
in nfs.mk and in the end of the main makefile play with subst and foreach
if you really are into macdinking and want everything happen automagically.

BTW, it's not necessary to say make <whatever> - just start the main makefile
with
#!/bin/make -f
and make it executable. Then /etc/rc.d/rc.mk/Makefile network_stop will do
the thing (and care of dependencies) if you really want to stop networking.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Distributions with 2.2.x kernel
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:29:50 GMT

SuSE have scheduled version 6.1 of their german distribution to 12
April, and the international version will be ready in May according to
their web page. It includes kernel 2.2.3 and KDE 1.1 and lots of other
goodies.

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Names to call Windows...
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:19:27 -0500

Jeffrey L Straszheim wrote:

> I hate to be the one standing up for M$, but most of this analysis
> just isn't true.

Sure,  that's what they all say.  Admit it -- you think Windows RULES!!  You
want to start a web site called windowsrocks.com.  You probably have a giant
autographed poster of Bill hanging on your wal! :)

Ok, just to be fair, I'll let the cat out of the bag...  I think Windows 98 has
some advantages over UNIX-type OSes... nice integration of the OS with the
GUI.  I think Charles Petzold and his "Programming Windows" series rules!

I also think M$ is slightly ahead of FreeBSD and Linux in the use of
multi-threading, although I expect FreeBSD and Linux to catch up and eventually
surpass MS in this respect.  Also, Windows makes use of approximate point sizes
in sizing its system points.  Like, Win98 has a thing were 800x600 is
considered 120dpi, and when you want a 10 point font, Win98 actually tries to
make the font 10/72 inch high by adding more pixels to the font when the
resolution gets higher.  X just assumes a 10 point font is 10/72 inch high at
one and only one resolution, like 640x480.  Then when you change to 800x600 or
1024x724, it keeps the font metrics constant, so a 10 point font actually
becomes real small.  For example, a 12 point font sized at 640x480 in X will
look more like a 10 point font at 800x600.  But in the Win98 case, that 12
point font will get scaled up to look the same size at 800x600 and 1024x480 (it
will try to, anyway).

Donn

------------------------------

From: Julius Longauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No setup signature found (I can't believe no one knows!)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:21:06 +0100

Hello lisa,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>[...]
>>
> Hello Julius! My new kernel is only 5120, as opposed to the old, which is
> 454325.  I recompiled to remove daemons that I had loaded in with a complete
> install of RedHat 5.2.  I ran make menuconfig, make dep, yadda yadda....You
> know the story.  Anyway, I took the zImage out of the place where make had
> thrown it, (I'm starting to get the feeling I forgot something)  added it
> into lilo.conf, then ran lilo.  Am I supposed to uncompress it?  I'm reeling.

That's the explanation for your booting problem. Didn't you get
any error-messages at compiling time like 'system too big'? I'm
not quite sure, but that could be the reason for a tiny ugly
kernel like yours.

So try it again. Remove all from your kernel you don't need
or run 'make bzImage' instead of 'make zImage' and copy
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to the apropriate place.
The rest of the procedure is the same.

And no, you don't need to uncompress the kernel yourself. That's
done by the kernel itself at booting time.

> anyway, I really appreciate any help you can give me on the darn thing!  My
> real problem has to do with amd (the automount daemon).  If you're interested
> in that, (and by golly, who wouldn't be (!)) you can email me at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Removing all the superfluous junk from the
> email address.

What problem do you have with amd? I don't use amd. So I don't think
I'm able to help you. But this newsgroup is the right place to discuss
it.

Hope this helps

Julius

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: I've had it with linuxmall!
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:41:30 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Where else can I get the basic RH 5.2 CD?

Try:

  http://www.cheapbytes.com
  http://www.lsl.com

I've had good luck on multiple occasions purchasing items from both
vendors.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +
    WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + MacOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
            <Beep!>  Invalid Input.  I take only cash...