From: Kris Caputa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uninstall Linux
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:15:14 -0800

Elizabeth Hincks wrote:

> I put Linux on my laptop along with Win95.  Now I need more room for the
> Win95 junk and I need to uninstall Linux
>
> Any ideas where I should start?
> Thanks,
> Liz
>
> Elizabeth Hincks
> 617-234-0219
> www.adaptiveoptics.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You probably need to get rid of the linux partition by running linux
fdisk from linux command line - use linux boot/root floppy combo to get
into RAM disk miniroot and run fdisk (is it /sbin/fdisk ?) on /dev/hda
or whatever the device for your linux drive happens to be.
It is a pity to have to wipe out a working linux partition, maybe you
should make a backup of it first.

After that you can run DOS fdisk to set up a FAT partition in the
released space.

--
Kris Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 11 Mar 1999 16:01:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Burton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yup! I find it interesting that the Department of Justice is after
>Microsoft for their "Monopoly", but the rest of the Federal Government
>(DoD & NASA in Particular) is busy *increasing* the monopoly by
>*requiring* electronic communications use an MS Office document format
>(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc), and of course MS Office only runs on
>Windows...;-)
>
>Go figure...;-)

Well, the NSF (National Science Foundation) actually requires documents to
be submitted in PDF (Portable Document Format, alias "Adobe Acrobat")
which is supported in essentially all common platforms.

Way to go!!

                                        Carlos

From: "Daniel Gagnon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,it.comp.linux,linux.admin.isp,linux.help,linux.redhat.digest,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp,linux.support.commercial
Subject: Linux for a 286
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 01:07:06 -0500

does anyone know of a version of Linux that will run on a old Intel 80286?
i've got this old beast in my closet that's just collecting dust and i want
to put it to some use...maybe give it to a young cousin to fool with....and
i fugure he's better to fool with Linux than DOS.....

thanks....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark D. Anderson)
Subject: multiple copyrights? compound licenses? "non-commercial"?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:40:46 -0800

Four questions (I know this is a mistake...)

1.Suppose I take some software source that was distributed under essentially
the terms of only
the first 2 clauses of the apache license.
That is, they say the software can be used or
modified or sold or used for any other purpose,
as long as the original copyright is preserved
(no advertising clause).

Now I do extensive modifications to it -- actually, i rewrite most of it --
and I'd
like to distribute the resulting package,
under a similar license but adding my own copyright (there are now many
files that are solely my
own, and not derived works).

How do I do that? Can I release the work (which includes both mine and the
original) together under a GPL? (Not sure I want the copyleft, but I'd like
to know if it is possible.)

2. Another entirely separate question: I've seen some packages released
under licenses that say things like "Released under GPL; I'd like you to
give me credit and put a link on your web page". That seems fine, since the
"like" isn't binding. What about things like "Released under GPL, except
that you must either put a link to me on your page or send me a check"?
Opinions aside on whether that is good or not, is it legally valid or
sensical?
Or should the person come up with a whole new license? Is there a standard
example for such a license?

3. One more unrelated question (sorry): Sometimes universities and large
corporations release software under very short licenses that say something
vague like "free for non-commercial use; otherwise contact us". What does
"non-commercial use" mean? Does it exclude using it as part of a consulting
job (the consultant is paid, albeit by the hour,
not for the software s/he uses)? Does it exclude
use in a commercial institution? Does it exclude
giving the product away in a separable fashion,
but bundled with a for-sale product?

4. news:comp.software.licensing seems kind of dead; all the discussion on
licensing seems to be at
gnu.misc.discuss and comp.os.linux.misc. Is there a news group i'm missing?
Is there some mailing list somewhere on the topic?

Thanks....

-mda

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:47:11 +0000
From: Eric Brager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem upgrading util-linux

Hi Bernie,

#rpm --version
RPM version 2.5.5
#

I see that there is a 2.5.6 in ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-2.5.x/

I'm not sure my other posts have made it downstream to you yet... but in
general I can't chmod, chown, mv /bin/login. I'm guessing that if I'm logged
in as root trying that from the shell, then a new version of rpm might not
help.

#
ls -alp /bin/login
-rws--x--x   1 root     root        15588 Jun  1  1998 /bin/login
#chmod 755 /bin/login
chmod: /bin/login: Operation not permitted
#chown eric:eric /bin/login
chown: /bin/login: Operation not permitted
#mv /bin/login /bin/monkeys
mv: cannot move `/bin/login' to `/bin/monkeys': Operation not permitted
#rm /bin/login
rm: remove `/bin/login', overriding mode 4711? y
rm: /bin/login: Operation not permitted
#

Thanks... I'll prob compile the new rpm just for the hellovit :)

-E

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Eric Brager, UNIX Network Administrator

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with LILO?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:16:31 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 02:00:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Maus)
wrote:

I also had the same problem when installing Redhat 5.2 from harddrive.
No problem when installing from CDROM to the exact same drive and
partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Copy file is too large
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:58:42 GMT

I was trying to print a file from acrobat ( about 200 pages ) and when it had
gone through all the pages it returned the message " copy file too large".
When I checked the /tmp directory I saw a 100M temporary file that was
apparently generated by the program.  Why is the file too large, and what can
I do to print my file.

Eric Headley

From: "No Spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: License question
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 05:36:45 GMT

Typically, vendors sell the Linux cd's at just a little bit over CD
production
> prices. I don't think you can compete with that.

May be you are right, but i think I would have a more competitive price
because I would be selling it within my area, so I wouldn't have a high
shipping cost.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.unixware.misc,alt.solaris.x86
Subject: Re: multi-boot machine
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 05:00:39 +0100

Robin Chung schrieb in Nachricht <7d9d0h$n39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>I've had an awful time getting NT and Solaris to co-exist with each other.
>My multiboot SMP machine is running on a Tyan Tomcat Pentium 200MMX dual
>machine.  Award Bios, 4.51 PG, dated 5/13/98.
<snip>
>NT's diskadmin reports incorrect partition sizes for the third hard drive
>where solaris lives.  Solaris, DOS, Win95 have no problem seeing the other
>Microsoft FAT volumes on the third hard drive, but NT refuses to.  The
drive
>is recognized as LBA, and its logical cylinders are less than 1024.
Solaris
>is installed in the lower portion of the 4GB, beginning in the 1st GB.
>
>I've tried formatting the 3rd drive as an NTFS volume of 2GB, and Solaris,
>but NT keeps clobbering the partition.  Disk Admin is bad news for Solaris
>so far as I can tell.  This is my second drive, the previous being a 4.3GB
>Fujitsu.
>
>I hate to think I've got to resign myself to buying another hard drive to
>get stupid NT to co-exist with Solaris on the same drive!
>any ideas?
>--
>Robin Chung [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Univ. of Warwick [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Computer Systems Engineering [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Mulder to Scully: "I had you big time..."

Hi Robin,
did you check, whether NT sees the drive as LBA and Solaris perhaps
doesn't???
Did you test partitioning with LBA _off_? It shouldn't be a problem neither
for NT nor
for Solaris.

Bernd

------------------------------

From: Jim Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: How do I find out the story behind the /etc/rc.d directory?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:20:29 GMT

Stefano Ghirlanda provided this good data:BTW, I just got a slackware
installation, I'm used to redhat. The rc.d

> structure is much simpler in slackware (BSD style), and I can see no
> obvious drawback. Well, I did hack a couple files to provide "start" and
> "stop" capabilities, but didn't need to change the structure.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah, that is one of the great holy wars - BSD vs. SysV init stuff.
Course, if you read FSSTND, both are hosed- no executables allowed under /etc.
I haven't actually installed SuSE yet, but I've read their 5.3 manual (yeah - I
was bored - so what) and I like what they do - basically the init scripts are in
/sbin and they have a central control file that is used to govern what is fired
up during boot - service daemons, like httpd, for instance.  As I recall, Caldera
does something similiar to this - a control file where you specify what you want
to run.  That way you can install everything but easily turn off/on stuff.

I don't think I mentioned chkconfig in my original post.  Bummer.  Very useful
IMHO.
Also, modififying the ifcfg-X stuff can be helpful, specially when you're doing
dynamic net connections.

Later
Jim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:54:46 +0000
From: Al Tourlakes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SANE is Making Me In----

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 03:05:51 +0000
From: Al Tourlakes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SANE is Making Me In----

Thank you for good info, clearly presented. Now there's some
light at the end of the tunnel. I have looked during bootup for sg__,
but didn't see it. I will look in the msg file.
====================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Lindbäck)
Subject: Re: Moving /home to /usr/home
Date: 10 Mar 1999 12:07:46 +0100

>Given my requirements how would you change this partitioning scheme?
>
>/             32 MB
>/usr         200 MB
>/usr/local  1000 MB
>swap          64 MB
>
>With /var, /home, and /tmp linked to /usr/local? BTW I'm the
>only user of the machine with a dialup connection to the Internet.

Since you are the only user I suggest TWO partition:

/         1232 MB
swap        64 MB

There is really no need to create a lot of small partitions
on a small disc. Actually, there is really no need to create
a lot of partition on a large disc either.

/dev/hdd1             7.6G  3.0G   4.2G     41%   /home
Where G stand for Gigabytes.

The only problem is that it takes way too long time to do fsck and
backups in that disc.

Anders

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: Can someone help me make my Laptop life easier?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 05:49:05 GMT

Hi,
I have installed RedHat 5.2 on a laptop and I am using it to connect
to 3 different networks (not at the same time 8^) ), the one at my
office, one at a client site that I am at frequently and my home
network. Is there an easy way to set things up so that I can choose
which network I'm trying to connect to? The office and the client both
use DHCP although different network numbers naturally, and at home I
use static IP's. I'm also running Samba and experimenting with it so
that figures in too. My network services start before my pcmcia
services so I start my interface manually so I was thinking maybe of a
script of some kind to reset the eth0 parameters and clear the lock
file and browse list of Samba but I'm not sure if this is the way to
go and even less sure that I could pull it off. Any help would be
appreciated, thanks!
mike

------------------------------

From: Roope Anttinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: thread-safe-xlibs
Date: 22 Mar 1999 12:08:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Michael Schmeing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> eric malloy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > does anyone know where i can get thread safe xlibs?.. x11amp needs
> > it..   i cant find this anywhere
> Does anyone know whether there exist SuSE6.0 rpm's with thread-save
> X-libraries? If so please tell me.

SuSe6.0 is glibc based and so the X-libraries it have are thread safe.

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

------------------------------

From: Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: EGCS and KDE/Qt
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:39:00 +0100

Jeffrey L Straszheim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to upgrade my egcs from the ancient version
> that Red Hat provides (why do they do that?); however,
> I also want to do work in KDE/QT. The KDE RPM's for
> Red Hat were build with an old libstdc++, the one that
> Red Hat provides. I can't just upgrade the compiler.
> Has anyone else gone through this? How did you do it?
> I'd like a few pointers before I begin d/l'ing and
> trying to rebuild KDE/Qt.

Try the following ftp-link:
ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

You will find egcs-1.1.1 (not the newest but newer than the one you
have; the newest is 1.1.2), kde and qt-1.44.

HTH

///Johan

--
! Ericsson Infotech AB      ! ECN: 863 3554                         !
! Johan Groth KS/EIN/T/R    ! Phone: +46 54 19 3554                 !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: permission problem under remote X
Date: 24 Mar 1999 06:38:47 GMT

Hi,

I'm having a problem that looks like this.  My housemates use
my linux as a gateway (i have fastest modem).  Things work fine
in every case, except the one where I want them to be able to
call up ezppp from a remote session and dial up.  Ezppp pops up,
but with only the quit widget active.  They can remotely call up
any other app (emacs, wordperfect, whatever), except ppp.  Now, if
I remotely call up ezppp (when X is running on my machine, launced
 from my user id), then no problem.  So it seems that linux isn't
letting anyone else interfere with processes that "I" might initiate
on the gateway terminal already doing X under my id.

My question (two really, at least), does the above make sense, and
is there a way that I can allow my housemates to access ezppp remotely?

You may think it strange that we want to have things arranged this way,
but we are strange people.

Thanks for any help...
walter