From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 23:36:59 -0800

------------------------------

From: "Fredrik Persson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Documentation question....
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:31:59 +0100

This is the homepage of the Linux Documentation Project. I'm sure you'll
find a lot of interesting reading there.

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

/Fredrik Persson

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 24 Mar 1999 00:18:23 -0800

    Lynn> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Powe
    Lynn> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: For my own part, I've
    Lynn> been reading some law books recently because I want to be
    Lynn> ready if a lawsuit comes my way (for whatever reason).  I
    Lynn> don't trust (or really expect, given a possible malpractice
    Lynn> claim) a lawyer to give me good advice for aggressively
    Lynn> pursuing my rights when the law is ambiguous about it.

    >> Well, I don't know.  He states baldly that he assumes any
    >> attorney he hires will give him bad advice and disregard the
    >> interests of his client.

    Lynn>    Read it again.  That is not what I said.  What I expect
    Lynn> is for an attorney to give me cautious advice designed to
    Lynn> avoid litigation, which, depending on what you want, may not

Hell, it's quoted right at the top of this message.  "I don't trust
(or really expect, given a possible malpractice claim) a lawyer
to give me good advice ..."

    Lynn>     What kind of advice do you think an attorney would have
    Lynn> given Rosa Parks with respect to sitting at the front of the
    Lynn> bus?  Would it have been the best advice for her purposes?

You seem to be not up on your Civil Rights history.  Rosa Parks was a
NAACP member who had trained in nonviolent tactics at a special
`retreat' before she made her historic decision.  She was fully
briefed on her legal position.  Not surprisingly, she got that
briefing through attorneys.  Your tarring the likes of Thurgood
Marshall, Morris Dees or William O. Douglas with the same brush you'd
use on ambulance chasers strikes me as a bit ridiculous, to say the
least.

    >> Maybe, if you have a realistic chance of doing so.  After one
    >> term of C++ at the local college, am I qualified to pass
    >> judgement on how the linux kernel is coded?  I don't think so.
    >> Just so, if I had serious concerns about how an attorney was
    >> handling my case, I'd get advice from another attorney.

    Lynn>     You'll note I didn't say I wouldn't consult an attorney
    Lynn> at all.  Only that I would try to make my own assessment of
    Lynn> the situation, and not rely solely on an attorney.  Plus, I
    Lynn> tend to think it's disingenuous to totally cede
    Lynn> responsibility for the law to the lawyers.  The law is
    Lynn> (supposed to be) for everyone, not just those who pass the
    Lynn> bar, or can afford to hire those who do so.

I'm not discussing `responsibility for the law' -- whatever that may
actually mean.  When you're sick, you take certain measures to regain
your health.  That doesn't mean you second-guess your doctor.  It
doesn't make you competent to diagnose your illness, either.  When you
think you are, there's a good chance you'll die.  When I was 17, I
came down with appendicitis.  For six hours, my parents maintained it
was just a stomach ache before finally calling the family doctor.  By
the time he got me to the hospital, I was in such bad shape they had
to run me straight into the operating room.  I was lucky -- another
hour or two and I wouldn't be writing this message.

I don't have an argument with the notion of `the law is for everyone'
- -- even though it's naive in a certain sense; the law is certainly a
great deal more egalitarian now than it was 50, 100 or 200 years ago.
Like any complex human undertaking, there are those who are expert in
its workings.  I can't imagine any circumstance in which I would
presume a knowledge of law great than that of an attorney, unless I
was acting under the advice of ... another attorney.

Frankly, I get irked at the assumption (made not just by you but by
many others as well) that attorneys are somehow `less moral' than the
rest of us merely by the fact of having been called to the bar.  It's
ridiculous.  And if you wanted to get into some kind of class-based
moral analysis, certainly businessmen are the most dishonest, anyway.
(flamebait)

mp

- --
Michael Powe                                          Portland, Oregon USA
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.trollope.org
  "Three hours a day will produce as much as a man ought to write."
                         -- Anthony Trollope

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: make[1]: as86: Command not found
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:37:52 GMT

Michael Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me which lib as86 is in?

It's a real mode assembler. You need bin86

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 13:51:21 GMT

david parsons ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <7d4vv2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >In article <7d4sd5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: >david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s> wrote:
: >>     Basically because of the registry;  it's an interesting idea to use
: >>     make, though, and the only problem I could see with doing that is
: >>     that the current rc setup has each file call in its prerequisites,
: >>     while make puts the prerequisites elsewhere -- for additional
: >>     packages, like syslog, dhcpd, and xdm/xterm, all I need to do is
: >>     drop the rc files into /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and build the symlinks
: >>     into /etc/rc.d/rc.m, while a makefile based system would require
: >>     that I also tweak the makefile.
: >
: >include /etc/rc.d/rc.m/*.mk

:     Ah, so you'd make the whole shebang into makefiles, then just do a
:     `make multiuser' to start them all up.  That's certainly better than
:     carrying around a bunch of shellscripts and patches to the master
:     makefile.  Though how would you maintain a registry showing when
:     each service started? -- if you just kill off services willy-nilly,
:     unkillable orphans will be left lying around (killing networking
:     before shutting down nfs has some, umm, antisocial consequences.)

:                   ____
:     david parsons \bi/ needless to say, this doesn't adhere to any standard
:                    \/

          What happens for parallelized make? I assume the parallel
make doesn't take affect until multiuser mode.

--
        Mike,

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:21:11 +0000
From: Guus Zijlstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Fortran on Linux (f2c): NARG() and GETARG()

Thanks guys, you been most helpful!

My problems are solved now.
I was thrown off by a core dump for a bit, but that was
caused by an extra (i.e. superfluous) argument to getarg().
Silly microsoft extension, allowing a variable arg list...

Ciao,
Guus.

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:49:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 08 Mar 1999 16:08:43 -0500, Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> >> I look at it this way.  99% of the i386 arch all the way to the pent
> >> II has a 1-2 gig memory limit.  Dispite the 4 gig addressability of
> >> the CPU, the chipset will only allow up to 1 gig.  more than that is
> >> ignored and is inaccessable because of the chipset.  You want more
> >> memory, use a computer that can handle more memory instead of
> >> complaining about no support for something the hardware can't even do.
> >
> >Exactly, but in the case of the Xeon the hardware *can* address 64 GB
> >or RAM.
> >
> >> to actually NEED that kind of memory, you must have some serious data
> >> to crunch.  our news server /w 64 meg ram runs our news server going
> >> through 3 gigs a day and keeps up no prob...
> >
> >Yup.  I'm not talking about 3 GB of netnews a day.  That's about 120
> >MB/hour, or 33 KB/sec, which is peanuts.  I'm talking in the range of
> >10-100 GB/hour (and up) using a high end RDBMS and other high end data
> >warehousing tools.  At this point, we're talking 3-30 MB/sec.  4-16
> >Xeon's can do a pretty good job chewing through that kind of data, if
> >they can keep their feeds busy.  That means that memory thrashing is a
> >no-no.
>
> how about an entire movie?  Titanic was done using linux on alphas.
> It put out terabytes of data.  linux was used to colormatch the
> digital images and put together the fames that made up the movie.  I
> wouldn't consider that usual usage.  They needed computing power, they
> got alphas

They also had money! They were't *too* concerned between $4000 &
$10,000...
I agree..if you have the money, go for the Alpha... (the 21264 & 21364
Alphas look pretty impressive...;-)

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:51:24 GMT

John Hasler wrote:

> Johan Kullstam writes:
> > i'd love to use AMS-LaTeX but the US DoD requires all documentation be
> > submitted in `MS-Word 6.0 for Windows' format.
>
> You really should write to your congressman and/or Ralph Nader about this.
> Maybe one of the news organizations would be interested.  Might make an a
> nice little investigative reporting bit.

Been there, done that...got a nice letter back from my congress critter
saying he would forward it to the proper people... even got a response
back from one...haven't heard anything since...

John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 12 Mar 1999 01:10:52 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sam Mosel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>So take the ciphertext, and burn it onto a CD. Now take the key, and
>burn it onto a CD too. Don't label either, and tell a collegue to mix
>them up whilst you close your eyes.

>Now tell me which is the ciphertext, and which is the key, and therefore
>which one is violating copyright, and which one isn't.

You copied it when you burned it onto your CD. However if the court cannot be
convinced that you copied it by the plaintiff, then you will not be convicted. The
law is not about theoretical arguements about definitions, but about applying then
to practical situations which people care enough about to bring to court. Nobody
cares about your example.

------------------------------

From: Rolf Niepraschk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No acceptable C++-compiler found in $PATH !??
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:02:12 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No acceptable C++-compiler found in $PATH
>
> This message I get when I try to compile a KDE package,during the ./configure
> session. I can compile other packages and  the Kernel without problems, so
> what's wrong ?
>
> I have SuSE 6.0, KDE 1.1, Kernel 2.2.3

You should install at least the following packages

  egcs.rpm gcc.rpm libgpp.rpm gpp.rpm

but not

  gccfront.rpm

...Rolf

--
.-----------------------------------------------------------.
| Rolf Niepraschk c/o Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SANE is Making Me In----
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:46:40 GMT

CITIZENAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> /var/log/messages. It appears that for some reason Linux is not seeing the
> scanner or its proprietary HP card.

Precisely which SCSI card does the scanner use ? It it is that unusual, then
it may well not be supported.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bio13)
Subject: after install Netscape 4.51
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:04:07 -0800

Hi,

I am using the Red Hat 5.2, which come with Netscape 4.07.  Something wrong
after
I tried to install 4.51 version.   When login as root,
it says that ulimit can not been found.  The prompt goes
wierd and the Backspace does not show well in nxterm (it functions well
though.)

I used the command "./ns-install" to setup it up.  Apparently,
it has not been integrated into Redhat, cause it still recognize
browser in /usr/bin/netscape, not the /usr/local/netscape/netscape, where I
installed.

Any idea?  Thanks in advance,

Brandon

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

From: "Robert S. Maier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.announce,gnu.utils.bug,alt.sources.d,comp.graphics,comp.graphics.gnuplot
Subject: plotutils-2.2 released
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:38:07 GMT

This is to announce the release of version 2.2 of the GNU plotting
utilities ("plotutils") package.  This is a major release.  It includes
release 2.0 of the underlying C/C++ library for exporting vector graphics,
GNU libplot.

The package can be installed on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and Unix systems.
For more information on its features, see its Web page,
http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/plotutils.html .
New features in release 2.2 include:

1. The ability to export pseudo-GIF and PNM files.  (Pseudo-GIF compression
   uses run-length encoding instead of LZW encoding, so it does not
   transgress the patents on LZW.)  The rasterization of graphic objects
   uses the powerful X11 scan conversion code.

   The ability to produce pseudo-GIFs should be useful in CGI scripting.
   In fact, GNU libplot can now create animated GIFs.

2. A new command-line utility, `pic2plot', which can translate files in the
   pic language, which is used for laying out box-and-arrow diagrams of the
   sort common in technical reports, to any supported output format.
   It uses the same parser that gpic (GNU pic) uses.

3. A new C++ library, `libplotter', which provides a C++ binding to the
   functionality of libplot.  It isn't merely a wrapper around libplot, but
   a full-fledged class library.  It defines a `Plotter' class that is
   subclassed as PSPlotter, GIFPlotter, etc.

4. An expanded API (application programming interface) for libplot.  It now
   supports user-specified dashing and the drawing of quadratic and cubic
   Bezier curves.  Libplot's imaging model is now much closer to
   Postscript's.

The source code for the package is available as a gzipped tar file,
2.8 megabytes in size.  It's available on the main GNU ftp site,
as ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/plotutils/plotutils-2.2.tar.gz , and at many
GNU mirrors (see the list below; please try the mirrors first).

For the benefit of people using Red Hat or similar versions of GNU/Linux on
Intel systems, I've created a pair of unofficial RPM's for the package.
They're at:

        ftp://platinum.math.arizona.edu/pub/plotutils-2.2-1.i386.rpm
        ftp://platinum.math.arizona.edu/pub/plotutils-2.2-1.src.rpm

Enjoy the new features.  Bug reports are always welcome; please send
them to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Suggestions for enhancements are welcome
as well.

Regards,

Robert

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Math.    |

[ Most GNU software is compressed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
  Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
  Executables for various systems and information about using gzip can be
  found at the URL http://www.gzip.org.

  For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
  Please try them before ftp.gnu.org as ftp.gnu.org is very busy!
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  thanx [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Asia and Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.ieunet.ie/pub/gnu (Internet address 192.111.39.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I strip cartridge returns (015) ?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:26:37 -0500

use the tr command.

Harry

------------------------------

From: "Charles P. Koerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dont understand Configuration message
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:07:37 GMT

I'm a newbie trying to run RH 5.2.
Besides connection problems with my ISP, there is one message that I
can't figure out.
In "glint" the "Configuration" window states,
"You have to close all of your available windows and reopen one before
changing your package directory will have any affect."
In the "Package path" box "/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS:

I understand that I have to close all open windows (?) but the path
statement mystifies me.
Just what exactly does it mean?  Do I enter the above path name at the #
prompt, or what?
Please could someone explain in detailed plain english.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: identd and user nobody
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:47:04 GMT

I've also got this problem with identd and am wondering - is it just a problem
specific to Caldera 1.3 or does Redhat/Slackware, et al also suffer if running
Netscape?

I just hate it as it decimates my distributed.net keyrate :-(

Don.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: user accounts
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:46:19 GMT

Hi,

  I'm a newbie to Linux, and have gotten befuddled by the man pages & how
to's. How do I give access to a modem, sound card, zip drive ect... to users
on my machine?

Jon Lindberg