Linux-Misc Digest #601, Volume #19               Thu, 25 Mar 99 15:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: connecting internet is so damn hard! i need help
.........please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Tom Evans)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Almost there with PPP, except. . . (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Rant: suse linux - POS worse than windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mounting Filesystems on Files (Paul Richards)
  Re: Linux In Banks? (Robert Brashear)
  Re: How to get X to use modem (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Linux In Banks? (Stuart Eichert)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Graham Daniell)
  Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: kernel install question (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Inews problems with RedHar 5.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ess1869 sound issue (**Nick Brown)
  Re: CDROM that requires Win98? (James Lee)
  Re: Cheapbytes - What happened??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Rant: suse linux - POS worse than windows (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Kernel-2.2.2 and printing (Dan Nguyen)
  [Fwd: Uptimes Competition] (Andreas Reigber)
  Re: Why Does Mail Break after adding a new Mail user ? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: traceroute 10.1.1.2=> 10.1.1.1 .323ms !H .238ms !H (Alan Curry)
  Re: Deleting files accross directories (Bill Unruh)

From: Tom Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting internet is so damn hard! i need help
.........please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Date: 24 Mar 1999 17:51:11 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (rik) writes:

> What is even more strange is that yesterday my computer was setup with
> NT on C: and linux on hda5 and when i did above step and initialiezed
> the modem, NT's modem wouldn't work...

Is this a real modem or one of those cheapo winmodems??
Winmodems won't work.
"dmesg" should show the modem port as something like:
tty00 at 0x3f8 is a 16550A
Before you do the dial, can you do a "AT"?? It should return "OK"
Might want to post why make/model of modem it is, someone may be
able to identify it.
--
Tom Evans   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All disclaimers apply...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: 24 Mar 1999 23:00:00 GMT

In article <7d96i6$l81$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Meissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| RPM and YaST like to do things the way the developer, or package builder,
| thinks is best. That may or may not agree with my personal philosophy.
| I'm suffering with YaST now, even though it gets in my way more
| often than not, in order to try SuSE. Over the years I've developed
| a system that organizes things into core services, optional products,
| and stuff I add myself. And I like to localize the files so that
| products are as self-contained as possible within a single directory
| subtree. This makes it easier to backup, maintain, and track
| the stuff on the system.

I don't organize things that way at all, but I totally agree that RPM is
most useful to those who want (or need) to setup their system the way
the developer intended. And that's not a bad thing for a lot of people.

I do find that if I get packages which are from another source which
doesn't match the mindset, or which isn't installed in just the same
way, I sometimes confuse the hell out of the RPM installer and it gets
unhappy about dependencies. That is a bad thing.

| And if I want to remove/update a package now I have to go searching
| all over the system for files. If I rolled my own I could put
| support files, documentation files, config files, etc. all under
| /usr/local/<product>, and I'd know right where to find them.

A lot of stuff come in now with /opt/product or /opt/developer/bin
setup, but that's still better than having it in root. Root should be
what I need to run the system, nothing more.

| Sure, rpm is supposed to keep track of all that for me. But then
| there's yet another tool/interface I HAVE to learn and remember.

Well, if you're going to use the tool you ought to learn it. After
verifying that I could mess up RPM by diddling modified dates and the
like I just stopped using it. It doesn't seem to mix well with hand
admin, and I have no tolerance for using a GUI to add a line to a text
file. It's like tying knots wearing mittens.

| So far it hasn't done a better job, or made it easier for someone
| who knows what they're doing to do their job. It's just provided
| a point-and-click WIMP interface for those who DON'T know what
| they're doing yet.

That's where it comes in. And from first impression the mandrake release
make installation easier, so there's another place less expertise is
needed.

I use Slackware because I want to be able to add stuff where I want it,
and more to keep the clutter out of the root filesystem. I thought that
all the non-system things were supposed to go in /usr/local by FSS, but
people are sure crapping up /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /etc, etc.

I don't condemn RPM, but I think at some point the Slackware package
stuff is going to do more exactly what the user want if s/he hacks. One
of the rare cases where less *is* more.
--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
What I find astonishing is not that my cat has started to sing, but that

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Almost there with PPP, except. . .
Date: 24 Mar 1999 23:06:40 GMT

In <7dbm9k$rl6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Ronald BAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>In that case you run pppd with the SUID-bit set. A hacker can cause a buffer
>overflow and get root access .
>Please read the message in comp.security.announce and the mentioned CERT
>reports.

I have searched dejanews for any mention of pppd in the
comp.security.announce and could not find anything. Could you pls be
more specific? How long agao was this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Rant: suse linux - POS worse than windows
Date: 24 Mar 1999 23:01:44 GMT

In his obvious haste, [EMAIL PROTECTED] babbled thusly:
: I've had very few problems (apart from the off library problem which is
                                             odd
: easily rectifiable...).

D'OH!

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

------------------------------

From: Paul Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting Filesystems on Files
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:15:00 +0000

Paul Richards writes,
>Hi,
>My Linux partition has ran out of room and when I put stuff on my vfat
>partitions the filenames often get scrambled.  How do I make a file on
>one of my vfat partitions that I can mount/format/whatever as an ext2
>partition?
Oh, as usual I found someone in IRC to figure it out first.  NG is good
as a backup though.  :)

Well now I've got this problem, I can mount my new ext2 drive by:
mount -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop1 /c/Paul/linux /paul
Now how do I put that into fstab or whatever so that it automatically
mounts or at least make some sort of shortcut to that long command?

Now don't worry, this time the NG will win because I'm not going into
IRC this time round.
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)
EMAIL   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux In Banks?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:35:34 -0600

Pasha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working for a bank and who are currently looking at changing the
> client and  server operating systems in their branch network.
>
> The choice is between Linux and NT (Workstation/Server).

I'm not sure, but a recent issue of Linux Journal had a "Linux in
Banking" article. This is just off the top of my head. No issue numbers
or anything. Good luck.

Bob Brashear

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to get X to use modem
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:13:51 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 05:54:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian D Freet)
wrote:

[snip]
>Now, I need help with the modem.  I have a somewhat standard ISA
>modem...  I don't know how to get X (or Linux in general) to use it...
>I tried using the modem dialer in X, but when querying the modem, it
>wasn't found.

"It wasn't found"? How do you mean?

Is it a "WinModem" (aka HSC or "controllerless" modem)? If so, you're
SOL, 'cause the only drivers available for WinModems are Microsoft
Win32API drivers and aren't useable on Linux.

Is it Plug-n-Play? If so, you'll probably have to play with the
pnptools (and perhaps setserial) in order to make the modem work.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Eichert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 25 Mar 1999 13:14:38 GMT

More radical solution to this issue:  Start a new bank that employs
open source operating systems.  Market self as a bank that cares about
security and privacy.  Open no physical branches, do all banking online,
do what can be done to eliminate paper checks.  Due to decreased operating
costs pay out higher interest on savings and CDs.  I guess Telebank is
sort of doing this at www.telebank.com.  But there is room for
competition.

**Nick Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Beware, though - if I were a FUD vendor I would be claming that open
: source means that the hackers can do damage more easily since the
: loopholes would be easier to exploit.  This isn't true, but the average
: bank VP doesn't know that (or indeed very much at all).

: > |Also make it very clear to them that security holes are solved the
: > |moment one is found. With other OS this can take a longer time. As
: > |security is something they as a bank must be interested in.

: --
: ---------------------------------------------------------------
: Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

: Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
:  http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html
: ---------------------------------------------------------------

* Stuart Eichert                           BSE Comp. Sci. Eng. '99    *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]    BSEcon Wharton School '99  *
* www.stwing.upenn.edu/~seichert/          MSE Tcom. & Networking '99 *
* University of Pennsylvania                                          *
* Secretary of Dining Philosophers                                    *
* University Scholar                                                  *

From: Graham Daniell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:17:58 +0800

RedHat - the boxed set - by far the easiest to install.  And comes with
several Linux books on CD ROM.  If your PC supports it you can boot into
Linux from the CD

Graham Daniell
(A beginner)

--
Graham Daniell
Perth, Western Australia

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:33:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian D Freet)
writes:
>Does linux recognize FAT 32?  I have been unable to mount my second
>partition which uses the FAT 32 file system...
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

How are you trying to mount it?

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel install question
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:45:56 +0100

The kernel HOWTO is one of the best in the box.  Really clear and easy
to use.  One caveat is: it isn't always updated with every latest
question in the config process.  Occasionally you have to use your
common sense, or try two alternatives.  So not recommended for AOL'ers
:-D

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Inews problems with RedHar 5.2
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:04:06 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Alternitivly, is it possible to set things up to make inews do
> what *I* want it to do -- take a news artitile from stdin, add in junk
> like a Message-ID, verify the news group(s), add a date, append my
> ..signature file and launch it at the NNSPSERVER.

I have seen packages bandied around that exist specifically to post
nntp from the command line.

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ess1869 sound issue
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:01:56 +0100

"Device or resource busy" typically means that you are loading a driver
module which is trying to access resources (IRQ, DMA, I/O addresses)
which are in use by another driver.  Check with /proc (eg cat /proc/dma,
cat /proc/interrupts, cat /proc/ioports) to see if the resources that
you think should be owned by your ESS driver, are in fact owned by
another driver.

Also, be sure that the errors are being produced by the module which you
think is doing it, eg with dmesg.

From: James Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM that requires Win98?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 12:26:52 -0600

Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I've seen sillier. Plug'n'Play mousemats, anyone?

: They were next to the ordinary mousemats, and were identical, apart from the
: higher price tag!

Isn't this fraud?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cheapbytes - What happened???
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:51:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  jimterm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to Cheapbytes.Com
>
> There website just returns "404 Not Found"

Just accessed their site, no problem.  Maybe you experienced a transient
failure, try again.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:45:15 +0100

It was the Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:51:31 +0100...
..and Luck IT consulting (Sascha Luck) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]!spam> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SuSE - Linux is a POS worse than (almost) anything by MS! Anyone ever
> tried to compile non-suse-adapted code on it [1]

Yep. Countless times, including lots of pre versions of Gnome and
Enlightenment with all their dependencies, Emacs, util-linux, procps,
Mesa, lots of games, blah. Everything worked fine.

> or install non-suse
> RPMs[2]?

Yep. Worked, but messed up the directory tree a little.

Methinks you're a troll.

mawa
--
When I'm out in the sun too long, I don't just think along a
tangent...  I /AM/ one.

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel-2.2.2 and printing
Date: 25 Mar 1999 19:47:21 GMT

Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Digging around a bit I found that the printer had 'moved' from
: /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0 ! A quick edit of /etc/printcap and all is working
: fine again. Question is - why has the port 'moved' between 2.0x and the
: 2.2.2 kernels when everything else appears to be in the same place ??

2.2.x kernels use polling to determine the number, so the first port
it finds become lp0, the second lp1 which is how it should be.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Reigber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Fwd: Uptimes Competition]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:18:03 +0100

Thomas Boerner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there is an new uptime competition, with uptime clients for
> different systems, like UNIX, LINUX, SOLARIS, and also
> Win95/98/NT. Unfortunately most participants are LINUX
> users, and only very few NT users show up. I think we should
> show those LINUX freaks, that also NT is able to run longer
> than 10 days ;-))
>
> If anyone is interested, here's the URL:
>
> http://uptime.hexon.cx/
>
> Best regards, Thomas

What do you think ???
Lets show him who is the best.

Anderl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Why Does Mail Break after adding a new Mail user ?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 19:51:29 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Kim Knoblauch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Now if only I could figure out why sendmail will not accept incoming
>connections. Outgoing works fine.

Are you running the sendmail daemon?
ps aux|grep sendmail
If not you need to start it running in daemon mode.
Try
telnet <yourownhostname> 25
which should connect you to the sendmail port.
Type in HELO to see if it responds
If it responde (eg with with 501 HELO requires a domain address)
than your sendmail daemon is running.
Type QUIT to quit.

You also need to set up your sendmail.cf file to tell sendmail what to
do with the mail, and for whom to accept mail.

/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h
for example will start up the sendmail daemon (and ask it to check the
queue for flushing every hour)
Your machine may not exist in other people's MX records. Is it a dialup
connection or what is your sityation. Again, more information will make
help possible.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: traceroute 10.1.1.2=> 10.1.1.1 .323ms !H .238ms !H
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:54:13 GMT

In article <7dcl94$i40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kishore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a stand alone network
>#traceroute 10.1.1.2
>1. 10.1.1.1 .323ms !H .238ms !H .198ms !H
>#
>What does this mean?

10.1.1.1 is informing you that 10.1.1.2 is not reachable.
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|bigotries (should| [    | |    ]    /    _>  /    _>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Deleting files accross directories
Date: 25 Mar 1999 19:54:28 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Julius Longauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>   I copied a directory structure from a cdrom to my hard drive.  In each
>> directory there is a TRANS.TBL file.  I want to be able to delete them all
>> from the command line with a single piped command.  Or two if need be.

You hae not told us of the directory structure. If all the directories
are located just off some one directory ( eg /usr/apple/dir1
/usr/apple/dir2, /usr/apple/dir3 ....)
then rm *.TRANS.TBL would work.