From: "Nevyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pdf reader
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:35:33 +0100

yup sorted thankx..........
> xpdf

------------------------------

From: "Dirk Demuynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.dev.scsi,linux.scsi,nl.comp.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie
Subject: SUSE 6.1 - Adaptec1505 - Snapscan310
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:19:27 +0200

Hi,

Since a while I'm trying to setup my flatbed scanner Snapscan310 with no
luck so far. This is what I do

During the installation of SUSE, the Kernel SCSI module is loaded from the
'modules' disk  ==>adaptec1505 (aha152x=0x140,11,7)
The systems tells me that it has recognized it witout any problems

Once the system is installed and rebooted these are the commands that are
used to continue

-    SANE1_0_33.rpm is installed
-    pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf
-    uncomment into this file the IO adress/IRQ /ACT(Y) lines
-    test the loading of the module with modprobe, which is OK
-    edit /etc/conf.modules and add
                alias scsi aha152x
                options scsi aha152x=0x140,11,7
-     reboot

During the rebooting , I get the several errors that the IOports setting are
wrong ?

after typing insmod aha152x=0x140,11,7,the card is again recognized
(sgchecks shows the Snapscan scanner) but when I launch Xsacnimage at that
time I get again an error saying that it is 'invalid parameters' and
scanning is not possible.

Can somehelp me into this issue or do I use a wrong procedure to set up

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:06:36 +0100

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Peter Hayes wrote:

> So you're saying that if I start Linux from the DOS prompt using
> Loadlin, then Linux is not an OS, but merely an app running on top of
> DOS?

The sitation with DOS,LOADLIN and Linux is entirely different. LOADLIN
does NOT load Linux on top of DOS. DOS is completely removed from memory
and unavailable once Linux starts loading. This is not the case with
Win95/8.

Jason Clifford                                    http://www.jasonclifford.com/
                 Linux Consultancy and Support Services
                PC and Server systems with Linux/FreeBSD
        **** Now offering LAPTOPS with Linux pre-installed ****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Shutting down as a normal user..
Date: 12 Jun 1999 14:24:41 GMT

In his obvious haste, Anthony DeLuca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: How come I can't shutdown or reboot as a normal user.  This is my home
: machine....I am told that shutdown is not an available command... I even
: tried su shutdown -h now.... and it still didn't work...Thanks in
: advance..

Why do you need to?
<CTRL ALT DEL> does the same thing.

You must remember that Linux is a multi user operating system, and many of
the config files are written by the distributors to take this into account.

(This stopping Joe Bloggs from issuing a shutdown command and trashing
everyone elses work).

Root is the only user that *SHOULD* have that power...

But... The three fingered salute will reboot or halt (depending on the
config options) the individual machine. Unless the sys-admin/owner has
disablewd it because it's a multi-user machine).

: Tony

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiler problems !!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:48:57 -0400

Animal Mother wrote:

> Oh shit, you are the scond one who says that.
> Could it be that my overclocked CPU ist the reason for that?
> I have an AMD K6-2 266 (4*66) running at 300 (4*75), and 64MB of EDO RAM.
>       ????     Lukas Juszczyk

Chances are yes.  I over-clocked my CPU from 333 to 380 and I got the same
problem.  Changed it back to 333 mhz and the kernel compilation went OK.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:28:50 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:51:02 GMT, John Garrison
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Marcus Houlden wrote:
>
>> 'Twas Wed, 9 Jun 1999 20:37:13 -0700 and Chad Mulligan hailing from
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] inscribed <7jnbvp$iud$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> to tell the good people of comp.os.msdos.misc the following:
<snip>
>You know, I'd like to ask MS just one thing. If Win98/98 doesn't run on DOS 7.0
>why
>does it have to be there? If you delete DOS, windows breaks. Sounds like it
>needs it to me

I suggested a while back that shoot away Int21h using a
timed TSR, to prove once and for all that Windows 95 needs
DOS. I know someone who did blow away Int 21h and windows
did crash. Thing was, he did it from inside a Win 98 DOS
window using debug.

Oh dear.

>> Marcus Houlden         Website: http://www.flimflam.demon.co.uk
>> PGP Key ID: 0x75B02986                            ICQ: 29654055
>> Fingerprint: 75B2 3F36 FDD1 F2C4 491A  C03F 4287 08AE 75B0 2986
>> '78 M Y+ L+ U- KQ++ C+ c B p+ Sh FC(Frying Pan) R(M21)

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:28:56 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:38:11 +0100, Chewbury Gubbins
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Anthony Ord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:21:04 -0700, "Chad Mulligan"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Okay, pay attention, The bug in Access has a fix. The bug in Disk Druid
>>>doesn't.  The bug in Access might make your phone book inaccurate, the bug
>>>in Disk Druid would destroy your system.
>
>> Ah! That's where I've been going wrong. I use partitioning
>> utilities *before* I have a system.
>
>Hang on  - the topic here is best server platform. The only way disk druid
>could risk destroying data would be if existing partitions were being
>preserved (for dual boot purposes), no?
>
>How many servers are required to dual boot?

If dual boot means "boot twice a day" then we all know the
answer that one...

Really speaking, once you have got them going, servers
should not be booted at all.

From: Brad Ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone using PHP?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:40:18 GMT

If so, could you PLEASE offer some help to a poor, frustrated newbie who
is trying to compile PHP 3.0.9? Thanks!

Basically, I am following the INSTALL document in the php-3.0.9.tar
file. It says to install apache 1.3.6 which I have done and it works
fine. I'm using RedHat 5.2.

Next it tells me to install a package called freetype-devel which I have
done.

Next I have to compile PHP. This is where things get difficult. My
configure command works fine:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-oracle

Then when I type 'make' it runs through a bunch of stuff but gives me an
error at the linking stage (I think). The last few lines are:

/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c -o libphp3.so -L/usr/local/lib
-L/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/lib -Wl,'-rpath
/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/lib' -lclntsh -lpsa -lcore4 -lnlsrtl3
-lclntsh -lnsl -lm                                           -lgdbm
pcrelib/libpcre.a  -lgd -lpam -lm -ldl -lcrypt -lnsl  -lresolv
mod_php3.c libmodphp3-so.a -Lpcrelib -lpcre

apsx:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680
make:*** [libphp3.so] Error 1

What exactly is Error 1? Why is apsx failing? Any ideas? Do you know
where I could go for help? I have searched the mailing list archives and
found a few people with this problem but nobody had solutions. Any other
ideas?

Thanks!

Brad.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.install
Subject: gnome/gtk+ HELP Please!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:00:17 GMT

I hope someone can tell me what I've done wrong.  Here's the scoop.  I
installed the following packages in this order (from source):

glib 1.2.3
gtk+ 1.2.3
imlib 1.9.4
ORBit 0.4.3
gnome-libs 1.0.10
libgtop 1.0.2
gnome-core 1.0.5
gnome-admin 1.0.2
control-center 1.0.5

I can get gnome launched under X (panel &) and use most of the features
but when I do these things I get these errors:

1.  Choose Settings | Startup Programs:

Gtk-CRITICAL**: file gtk-table.c: line 507 (gtk_table_attach): assertion
'child->parent == NULL' failed.
Gtk-WARNING *: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x80AEA18)
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x2400010
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x2400012

2. Open the GNOME Configuration Tool and choose Startup Programs:

** CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line 602 (gzm_protocol_new):
assertion 'GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed
** WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session.

3. Open the GNOME Configuration Tool and choose Window Manager:

** ERROR **: No window manager desktops found!
aborting...

Why am I getting these messages and how do I fix them? I'm running
Enlightenment 0.15.5 with linux 2.2.5 (was a redhat 5.2 but I rebuilt
the kernel.)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please e-mail me your responses if it not's too much trouble to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks loads,
Kent A. Signorini

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: linux/ksh
Date: 12 Jun 99 15:35:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan Gauld wrote:
>Mark Redding wrote:
>> 2. Is . [thats DOT] or the directory that start.ksh resides in, on your
>> PATH. If not, either add it or execute using ./start.ksh
>
>And is the start.ksh executable?
>
>$ chmod +x start.ksh

The error message has the answer: "not found" indicates that it is a
path problem.  If execute-permission is not set, the error message will
be "permission denied".

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: telnet into my home box
Date: 07 Jun 1999 01:07:36 -0700

------------------------------

From: "georg haber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: display , and after step?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:23:45 +0200

use Xconfigurator.
maybe ctrl - alt- + and ctrl - alt - - works too.

Tom

mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://bounce.to/unah16