  Re: Auto login ? (Mike G.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Fletcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
Subject: Re: NetBSD/Linux (No advocacy)
Date: 27 Mar 1999 00:53:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I recently came upon a deal to get a DECStation for cheap. I know I can run
: NetBSD on it, and I plan to do it basically just for interest sake. I
: have an x86 running Linux and I'd like to network them. Are there any issues
: I should be aware of? Is there an advantage to installing NetBSD on my x86
: (Can NetBSD dual Boot w/ linux and /or m$ windoze) Sorry, I'm a NetBSD
: virgin here.
:
That's cool we all started somewhere! :)

OK well as you know both NetBSD and Linux (and in fact every UNIX) is an
Open System. It uses OPEN protocols (like TCP/IP etc.) thus you can
interconnect any open system VERY easily.

Becasue of this, it is not a problem to run Linux on your PC and whatever
else on your network. (I have a Sun 3/260 running NetBSD, a PC running Linux,
a cruddy old WIndoze box, Macs, Amigas, and FreeBSD machines and a SPARC
all talking to each other. The hardest part was setting the bastards up,
not networking them! And that too becomes easy after you have done it a few
times. It's always fun to try network NEW unfamiliar hardware! You should
have quite a time with the DECStation - You lucky bastard!)

As for installing NetBSD on the x86 well I can't see any advantage to it other
than it's a good OS and it is good experience, however I'd stick with Linux
and concentrate on running NetBSD on the DEC.

As for dual booting, you can do that however all NetBSD system I've ever
installed, I've never set up to dual boot. There should be appropriate
documentation on how to do it. I think there is a Linux HOWTO as well.
I know it's easy enough with FreeBSD so it should be easy enough with NetBSD
and OpenBSD.

Oh well good luck and maybe you can post back and let us all know how you
went. Enjoy losing you NetBSD virginity! :-)

Regards,

Chris Fletcher

------------------------------

From: lany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Win95 X-software suggestion
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:38:36 -0500

Take your pick ->
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html#XMicrosoft

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: How much RAM is enough?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 09:27:13 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim Hill wrote:
>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Matt Eckhaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>So I'm soliciting opinions - is 64Mb of RAM enough for Linux these days?
>>I'd like to be using this computer for at least the next two years.
[snip]

>Is 64 MB enough?  Save for the Star Office problem, it's been adequate
>for my needs for the past 2 years.
>
>Jim, but I'd still take more if I could get it, and so should you.

Hi,
PC100 ECC memory dropped in price more than twice in less than a year.
It seems it is a good idea to have enough slots to add more memory
in a future (when KDE becomes even more bloated ;-).

Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:55:28 -0500
From: DJ Delorie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL and LGPL

jik- wrote:

> I was reading something about GPL needing work and thought "You know
> what, GPL says the whole program has to be GPLed which is why RMS wants
> libraries to be GPLed and not LGPLed,...so how can a GPLed program use
> the LGPL which is not the GPL???"

The GPL does not say that the whole program must be GPL'd.  It says
that the whole program must be distributed under the terms of the GPL.
Any license which *allows* such a distribution may be mixed with the
GPL, since it is possible to distribute such a program in such a way
that all distribution terms of all licenses are met.

The GPL and LGPL specify minimum requirements.  The LGPL's
requirements are a subset of the GPL, so any LGPL'd source can be
distributed under the terms of the GPL also.  If a GPL program uses an
LGPL library (or a BSD library, public domain library, etc) then the
entire work must be distributed under the terms of the GPL, which
means that any such binary must include *all* sources, which is OK
with the other licenses.

One someone recieves those sources, they may separate the LGPL sources
from the GPL sources and use those in other projects, following only
the LGPL, since the GPL'd sources are no longer involved.

> I came to the distinct conclusion that either it cannot, or since
> libraries would fall into the catagory of being "reasonably
> considered independent and separate works in themselves" then GPLing
> the library would make absolutely no difference whatsoever, and also
> that the whole anti-KDE bullshit is a bunch of hot air (which I
> always considered it to be, but this would make it proven).

IMHO, "reasonably independent" means that they can be used
independently.  If you link them together, how can they be used
independently?  If you didn't have Qt on your system, would KDE work?
No.  Does Qt normally come with the OS?  No.  Thus, IMHO, KDE and Qt
are not "reasonably independent".

Contrast to libc, which normally does come with the OS, or bash,
which is quite usable without any other sources.

> So, which is it?  Does the WHOLE and ENTIRE program need to be GPLed
> to not violate the GPL, or are libraries seperate items?

The whole program needs to be *distributed* under the terms of the
GPL.  You're confusing the distribution with the program itself.  You
may have a program that's a mix of multiple licenses, but you must
treat the whole according to the combination of the licenses.  For
example, you could mix GPL and proprietary sources in an application -
the GPL allows that.  However, the GPL won't let you then *distribute*
that program, because there's no way of doing so without violating one
of the two licenses.

> Also, remember that the LGPLed libraries cannot be GPLed because
> they also are required to be placed under the LGPL (as stiplulated
> by the GPL, only talking about a different licence).

They can't be GPL'd, but they can be distributed under the terms of
the GPL.

> Doing a search in GPL version 2 for "LGPL" gets no hits....so in
> other words there are no provisions in the GPL to provide for
> linking with the LGPL explicetly.

There doesn't have to be.  You can link with any sources you like, as
long as you don't distribute binaries without sources.  You don't need
a source file to be GPL in order to have the ability to give it to
someone, so you don't need every source to be GPLd in a given program.

> The GPL is where these permissions would HAVE to be.

Not quite.  The GPL says you must provide sources.  It doesn't say
that all the sources have to be GPL.  It only says that if any of the
other licenses prohibit such distribution (the LGPL does not) then you
may not distribute those binaries.

So, the GPL doesn't give you *permission* to distribute non-GPL
sources, but it does say that your permission to distribute the GPL
sources are conditional on having permission to distribute (and
actually distributing) those non-GPL sources.

> Also, the GPL cannot be altered in any way, it is stipulated in the
> copyright of the licence (I just say this because people have told me
> you could make provisions in the GPL to make certain things ok if you
> needed to for your own work...this is not true)

If you are the author, you may do whatever you wish.  For example,
DJGPP is distributed under a license that says (to paraphrase): "it's
GPL, but you may also do this...".  The two things you can't do are:
You can't change the GPL and claim it's the GPL, and you can't change
the terms on *someone else's* software.

> This is a big issue, I am surprised I haven't seen it brought up
> before.

It has come up before.  The GPL is way over a decade old, and most of
these arguments are also very old.

> NO binaries would be able to be released if the LGPLed library
> causes a violation, only source for everything.

The LGPL doesn't prevent you from distributing its sources.  If you
mix GPL+LGPL, you must treat both parts as GPL (i.e. distribute
sources), which is OK with the LGPL.  If you mix LGPL+proprietary, the
LGPL requires that *its* sources be distributed, but the proprietary
part may be either objects or sources.

> All programs eventually link to either libc or libg++ on Linux, both
> libraries are covered by the LGPL.

There is an exception here, because libc is a shared library that is
not distributed with linux programs.  Since it's neither distributed
with nor linked into the program, the LGPL doesn't apply.

> The entire structure of the licence situation would have to
> be adjusted if the GPL program linking to an LGPL library being
> distributed as a binary violates the GPL.

The binary itself doesn't violate the GPL.  Distribution of the binary
without complete sources would violate the GPL, but the LGPL doesn't
preclude that.  The GPL only covers distribution - it puts no
restrictions at all on what *you* do with the sources in the privacy
of your own computer.

> What would happen if FSF suddenly relicenced all the LGPLed libraries it
> owns the copyrights for to the GPL?

It is impossible to relicense anything you already have.  All they'd be
able to do is license future versions differently, but then you could
just continue using older versions.

> Would we still be able to use the libraries we have which are
> LGPLed?

Yes.

> Would we be able to work from there and redistribute modified forms
> of the LGPLed library under the LGPL?

Yes.

> This would be messy, especially since I think RMS and the FSF is extreem
> enough to do this if the issue I am bringing up is actually an issue.

It is not an issue.

Besides, I suspect that if libc were made GPL in such a way that
proprietary Linux programs were illegal, the Linux community would
most likely fork the LGPL libc and just not use the GPL'd one.

------------------------------

From: Farid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help on PPP dial-up
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:22:21 -0500

OK,

here's the example of my chat script:

=====snip======
'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
" 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATDT4945012'
'CONNECT' "
'myusername' 'mypassword'

----snip---------

OK,
I cleared all the old messages, and create a new log file, /var/log/ppp,
and set the link for ppp0 log to that file. Then I dial using minicom
and do alt-q to exit minicom without disconnecting, and at prompt, I
type pppd, this is what I get in the /var/log/ppp file:

----snip-------

March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: pppd 2.3.3 started by root, uid 0

March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: using interface ppp0
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: Connect ppp0 <-->  /dev/ttyS0
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: Sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
March 26 20:56:56 localhost last messages repeated 9 times
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: LCP : timeout sending
Config-Requests
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: connection terminated
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
clean
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]:Hangup (SIGHUP)
March 26 20:56:56 localhost pppd[609]: Exit

----snip-------

after I type the pppd from the prompt, a few seconds later, the
connection is terminated.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kppp doesnt work!!
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:44:10 +1100

http://www.onthenet.com.au/~davow/Linux/linux.html

------------------------------

From: "Jason A. Nye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Question ...
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:56:34 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How do I find out which components are compiled
> directly into the kernel and which are modules ?

To see all the components compiled as modules do:

ls /lib/modules/KERNEL VERSION NUMBER HERE/*

This is assuming you ran "make modules_install" after you compiled the
kernel.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape & Freezing
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:55:50 -0800

Hans Wolters wrote in message ...
>Hope the following helps. You're not the only one that has the problem
>(see the FAQ on freshmeat). I had trouble too and are now running 2 days
in
>a row without errors

Can you post a URL to where that is discussed, please?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Chajkowski)
Subject: Re: Gimp compilation
Date: 27 Mar 1999 03:12:28 GMT

Sorry about that . . . here it is:

( fully qualified dir is '/usr/local/cvsSrc/gimp' )

[root@eagle gimp]# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/cvsSrc/gimp'
making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/local/cvsSrc/po'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'all'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving '/usr/local/cvsSrc/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/cvsSrc/gimp'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 2

Thank you for the help.

In message <PeFK2.1648$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - "Spud"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Fri, 26 Mar 1999 05:50:39 GMT writes:
:>
:>    Please provide us with the exact error message.
<snip>

Michael S. Chajkowski, B.Sc, B.Ed
Systems Analyst

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.progress,comp.programming
Subject: Re: Database library for C++ Linux (gcc)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:27:00 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:59:06 GMT, No Spam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am looking for a database library for C++ for linux. I am also looking for
>advice on a book for C++ that is specific to Linux.

I don't know of any good unix specific C++ books.  I know of one with C++ in
the title, but I think that was just for marketing reasons.

The unix API is in C and can be used just as easily from C++.  So there's no
reason for a C++ specific book anyway.  See

http://members.home.com/davecook/devel/#book

>I have a good background
>of C++, I have taken a 3months course in C++, but I need a book that goes a
>little bit further. I am required to do a database program for Linux using
>C++ (has to be C++).

Postgresql provides a C++ API (as well as APIs for C, Perl, Tcl and Python).
You can use any C API from a C++ program.

Other things to look at:

http://www.equi4.com/metakit/
http://ma.us.mirrors.freshmeat.net/appindex/development/database.html
http://www.startech.keller.tx.us/xbase/xbase.html

>I was also wondering if it is possible to write a C++ program that would
>make use of x-window features.

Sure, you can use Qt, Gtk--, Fltk, etc.  See

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html

Dave Cook
--
No Linux for you!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:26:34 +0000
From: Guus Zijlstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.netscape.buggy-products
Subject: Re: HELP: netscape 451 crashes on startup

Mark,

You just made my day. This one depends on libc.so.5, whereas
the *old* 4.5 used libc.so.6

Why would they change this between minor versions?
I downloaded from the same website (www.netscape.com).

Anyway, I looked at the libraries that I have on my system
and found a directory called /usr/lib/libc5-compat
Assuming those are the ones I need, I fixed
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and now things work.

Thanks,
Guus.

------------------------------

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:22:59 -0800

David wrote:

> http://www.onthenet.com.au/~davow/Linux/linux.html
>
> Justin Cunningham wrote:
>
> > hi i use Mandrake 5.3 (Redhat with KDE built in) and im having enourmous
> > troubles conneting to the net... i know i have all my domains and everything

If you have Red Hat,  take a gander at online.txt at:

sac.verio.net/users/garv/

then tell me que pasa.

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: X windows opening with tops cut off--Fix?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:36:15 -0800

Didn't you ask the same question yesterday here at alt.os.linux?
It would probably help to read the answers...

-Joe

Bill Unruh wrote:

> Help.  A number of my applications are opening their windows with the
> top of their window above the top of the screen. (eg, xdvi, Simplicity,
> appletviewer, ...). I have virtual screen the same size as real screen.
> This is a pain because the title bar is the only thing I can grab to
> move the window with!
> I am running RedHat 5.1 with the AnotherLevel (default) windows manager.
> ATI Rage Pro card.
Joachim Feise         Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: GPL vs BSD license agreement (source code reuse)
Date: 26 Mar 1999 16:54:47 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Algorythms are not copyrightable, the copyright will not cover

But the expression of algorithms IS copyrightable, just as any other
expression is. The sole legal basis for either the GPL or BSD "licenses"
is under copyright law.

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scandir problem ?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 04:51:13 GMT

Thierry BUCCO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: When i use scandir (like to the man scandir example), to list files into
: directory the allocated memory is not liberated. How can i do that ?

: free(namelist ?)

This really isn't a linux question.  Try one of the C ng.
Not being familiar with scandir, it seems yes.

--
      Dan Nguyen           | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

------------------------------

From: RabbidRabbit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System locks when I play mp3s
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:18:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Raphaël LANGELLA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> RabbidRabbit wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Linux and this is really starting to piss me off. My system locks
> > up any time that I play mp3s.I can hear cds and sometimes there is sound
from
> > some games.  I can click on the wave files that come with REDHAT 5.2 and
they
> > come through fine.  Any time that I play and mp3 on turn on the extra bells
> > and whistles I'll hear for a while, but then my system locks up solid.  Now
> > can't even startx because my start up noise locks my system.  Other than
this
> > I love Linux, but this is drivening me mad!!! Please help...and thanks in
> > advance.

> > http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
>
> Tell us fist what is your sound card, tha might help :)

Sorry about that.  I have a Creative viBRA16 PnP, using the SB16 driver.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike G.)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Auto login ?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 04:08:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl):

> Minor note, at work no-one ever made it into one of my machine who was
> not allowed too, but there it is a different story.

Or so you assume.

--
Mike G.