Linux-Misc Digest #644, Volume #19               Sun, 28 Mar 99 21:13:09 EST

Contents:
  ANNOUNCE: Apache 1.3.6 RPMs for COL 1.3 systems. ("Marc E. Christensen")
  ATI RAGE FURY on RedHat 5.2 ("RJA")
  Probleme beim compilieren (Stephan Schoenfeldt)
  Re: Apache mod_php3 w/ MySQL support.... ANYONE? For the love of God- this is
driving me insane. (Paul Anderson)
  Linux Doc. Project-- How does one contribute? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (Paul Anderson)
  Just testing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PostgreSQL in Redhat 5.9 (Starbuck) is broken... :< ("Testing")
  Re: can't login in RH5.2!! (Pierre Bodart)
  Re: Linux 2.2 is very unstable ("Michael J. Parmeley")
  RH 5.2: lpr fails, multiple lpd daemons (Charles Roten)
  slide-maker for linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: sharing a monitor between two computers (Michael W. Ryan)
  Re: Your address is broken [Was:Kppp e tin] (Jerry Lynn Kreps)
  Re: Newbie's question (bklimas)
  AppleTalk client? (Janet)
  /etc/hosts.deny syntax differs from man pages ? (Pierre Bodart)
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (Michael Meissner)
  Chinese KDE fonts ("Glink")

From: "Marc E. Christensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: utah.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Apache 1.3.6 RPMs for COL 1.3 systems.
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:45:53 -0700

NOTE: These are Unofficial RPMs.

             Apache 1.3.6 RPMs now available for COL 1.3

I caught a few spare cycles this morning and decided to put together
RPMs
of the new Apache release.  These should be considered package-betas
again, however I am pretty sure there aren't any problems.  If no one
sends any bug reports, these will be uploaded to Caldera's contrib in
about a week.

I changed a few things in these RPMs compared to the last 1.3.4-beta
RPMs
that I released a week or so ago:

        * Newest Apache (1.3.6).
        * icon directory set to the same default as standard COL 1.3
          apache RPM.
        * Apache modules moved from /usr/libexec/apache to
/usr/lib/apache
          This follows redhat's module directory layout so that modules
          which are built and packaged separately can be installed on
          either system (libc5 based for now).

Modularity means that you get as slim a server as you want, just don't
load modules that you arn't using.  Also, it makes it easier to add
things
like ssl and php in the future, just install an RPM, add directives to
load the module and to work with it properly.  Done.

So, give them a whirl and let me know how they work for you.  Since I am
pretty sure that these will have little or no problems, consider these
as
close to the real thing as their going to get.  But let me know if there
are problems so I can fix them before I upload them to Caldera.

Built on COL 1.3.

Go for it:

SRPM:
  http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-1.3.6-1b.src.rpm

RPMs:
  http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
  http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-devel-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
  http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-docs-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm

Marc C.
http://www.mecworks.com

------------------------------

From: "RJA" <ayadi@~earthlink~.net>
Subject: ATI RAGE FURY on RedHat 5.2
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:14:35 -0500

Anyone gotten the RAGE Fury to work on RedHat 5.2? If so can you please
provide directions. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephan Schoenfeldt)
Crossposted-To:
maus.computer.linux,fido.ger.linux,ger.pc.linux,de.alt.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Probleme beim compilieren
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:27:31 +0200

Hallo Leute,

kann mir irgendjemand einen hinweis darauf geben warum ich beim
compilieren von programmen unter suse linux 6.0 immer folgende
fehlermeldung bekomme ?

/usr/bin/moc prefsound.h -o prefsound.moc
c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/kde/include
-I/usr/lib/qt/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -O2 -Wall -c prefsound.cpp
c++ -O2 -Wall -s -o kicq -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/kde/lib
-L/usr/lib/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib main.o mainwindow.o useritem.o
userlist.o systembar.o connectbutton.o msgwindow.o findwindow.o
emailwidget.o detailswidget.o uinwidget.o recvwindow.o preferences.o
prefuser.o prefserver.o prefother.o preflog.o prefproxy.o infowindow.o
infomain.o infoaddr.o infomore.o infoabout.o infonotes.o icqmessage.o
blinklistbox.o docking.o urlsndwin.o renwindow.o historywin.o
mlinelistbox.o wrapedit.o alertbox.o prefsound.o -lkfm -lkdeui -lkdecore
-lqt -lX11 -lXext -licq
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.2.9, needed by
/opt/kde/lib/libkfm.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.2.7.2
connectbutton.o: In function `ConnectButton::~ConnectButton(void)':
connectbutton.o(.text+0x181): undefined reference to
`_vt.11QPushButton.12QPaintDevice'
connectbutton.o(.text+0x188): undefined reference to `_vt.11QPushButton'

make[2]: *** [kicq] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/kicq-0.3.0/kicq'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/kicq-0.3.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
bash-2.02#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Anderson)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Apache mod_php3 w/ MySQL support.... ANYONE? For the love of God- this is
driving me insane.
Date: 28 Mar 1999 19:00:37 -0500

"Tree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>p.s. - I have tried EVERYthing, and am about ready to punch in my monitor.

Have you tried recompiling the PHP3 module with the appropriate support?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Linux Doc. Project-- How does one contribute?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 00:35:16 GMT

I have a document that a number of people have found helpful in setting
up ppp on their machines. (axion.physic.subc.ca/ppp-linux.html). I
wanted to contribute it to the LDP (Linux Documentation Project) as a
mini-HOWTO.
However, I have now tried emailing the coordinator three times, and have
gotten no reply whatsoever.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

What procedure should I be following?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Anderson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: 28 Mar 1999 18:54:54 -0500

"Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Here is my dream machine:

>Celeron 366 overclocked to 550

Yikes!  You can't overclock it that far!  What are you, nuts?!

>Abit BH6 mobo

It's either a motherboard, or an mb, NEVER a mobo.

>--
>"Ein Folk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" -- "One people, one government, one leader."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Just testing
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:21:27 +0100

Don't ming me...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |     It is not 'who' you are
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           |     But who you are becoming.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |                         -- Goethe

------------------------------

From: "Testing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PostgreSQL in Redhat 5.9 (Starbuck) is broken... :<
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.databases,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:57:58 GMT

Executing: /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S85postgresql start
* /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system. Expected to find
it in the PGDATA directory "/var/lib/pgsql", but unable to open file with
pathname "/var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class". *
* No data directory -- can't proceed. > Starting postgresql service:
postmaster []

------------------------------

From: Pierre Bodart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't login in RH5.2!!
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:23:10 +0200

Try perhaps removing the file /etc/securetty which contains devices from
where you can login as root ... This file contains initialy tty1 to tty6
I think, and Xwin login is not one of these !

Pierre

------------------------------

From: "Michael J. Parmeley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2 is very unstable
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:21:10 -0600

Hello,

Even Linux can be brought down by poorly written software and/or buggy
software.  However, assuming the out of control program doesn't lock up
your keyboard you can ALWAYS kill that program.  Your particular problem
looks like kmail locked up your keyboard and not that you didn't have
enough CPU left to kill kmail.   This is where a network comes in
handy.  I guarantee (well i guess there are no guarantees...but it would
be a safe bet) that if you were on a LAN you could have remote login to
your system and killed off that kmail process.

I have had problems with Kmail too.  It is very buggy and unstable so I
do not use it.  Xfmail seems to have better functionality anyway.  At
least for me since I use PGP 5.0 a lot and Xfmail integrates support for
it.

regards
mike p.

------------------------------

From: Charles Roten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: RH 5.2: lpr fails, multiple lpd daemons
Date: 28 Mar 1999 17:18:21 -0800

An old problem, I have seen this with both RH 5.1 and RH 5.2 installs.
Previously, killing the lpd processes with PIDs _not_ listed in
/var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock did the job.

_But_ _not_ _this_ _time_.

I shut down by invoking

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop
    rm /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock

and restart with

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

Then the command "ps auxww | grep lpd | grep -v grep"
gets the following stdout (line breaks inserted by me):

    root      2421  0.0  0.1   784   336  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd
    root      2423  0.1  0.2   848   464  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd
    root      2424  1.2  0.3  1236   728  ?  S    16:53   0:00 bash \
         /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter -w132 -l66 -i0 \
         -n root -h mjollnir.roten.nom

/var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock contains the PID of the first process, of course.

Attempts to print, i.e. "lpr /etc/resolv.conf", get stderr:

    lpr: connect: No such file or directory
    jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

Doing "kill -1 2423 2424 ; ps auxww | grep lpd | grep -v grep" gives

    root      2421  0.0  0.2   824   408  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd

Then a repetition: "lpr /etc/resolv.conf".

No stderr.  But no output either.  /var/log/messages has nothing
to say.  Nor does anything else in /var that I can find.

I'm completely at a loss.

The printer and cable are known good.  Printer is a Apple
LaserWriter Select 360.  Mainboard is a Tyan S1668, Award BIOS.
Kernel is 2.036.

Oh, yeah .... BTW ... just what in blazes is this bullsh*t about
multiple lpd daemons being started up during lpd startup ?????
I saw this in fresh RH 5.1 installs, and it does NOT speak well
of RedHat's startup scripts !!

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II,
(Charles D. Roten)  |227, any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: slide-maker for linux?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:23:39 GMT

Is there an presentation-maker application similar to power-point for linux?
Thanks for any help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael W. Ryan)
Subject: Re: sharing a monitor between two computers
Date: 28 Mar 1999 10:14:27 -0500

Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to use one monitor for two computers, I don't want to take
> out and put in cables each time I switch computers, Is there such a
> thing as an automatic switch? I am wondering if there can be a box where
> two  input cables from computers go in and one  output cable to the
> monitor where the out put is selected with a switch.

Yes, there is.  They're typically called "KVM switches", and there are
a couple of different manufacturers.  They come in a number of
different "sizes" (i.e. number of computers they will support) and
connector styles.  I've also seen some manufacturers that sell both
manual and automatic switches.  The difference being the automatic
switch maintains the signals to the computer when it's not "active"
and allows you to boot the system without it being current.  I've seen
manual switches start around $50 and automatic switches at around
$100.  You can find them on shopper.com and computershopper.com.

--
Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON 1999
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              | Convention of Otaku Generation

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering [EMAIL PROTECTED] (use -l opt)

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.windows.x.kde,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Your address is broken [Was:Kppp e tin]
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:29:53 -0600

???????  Who are you writing to ?????????

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Newbie's question
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:31:40 GMT

Yacov Wolfowicz wrote:

> Hi all,
> Please, I dont mean to start a flame war. I'd like to install Linux on
> my new pc, and don't know which distribution to use. Is there any
> difference? Which one is "better"?
>
> My system:
> PIII 450,
> 128 Mb
> DVD player, X5 (by CREATIVE)
> 6.4 Gb Disk
> CREATIVE Riva TNT 16M
> CREATIVE 64 sound card
> --
> Don't take your organs to heaven.
> Heaven knows we need them here...

I put my $0.02 on our family homepage:

http://www.magma.ca/~bklimas/before_installation.htm#which_distro

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Stan

------------------------------

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: AppleTalk client?
Date: 28 Mar 1999 16:57:53 -0800

Hi,

I've been trying to install afpfs (whose web site seems to be pretty
dead).  I got version 1.0b2q2 and am running a 2.2.4 kernel with AppleTalk
DDP support compiled in.  I also installed the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
RPM along with the devel RPM, although I'm not actually running the server.

When I try to compile, I get all sorts of errors.  It looks like:
/usr/include/linux/atalk.h: In function `atalk_find_dev':
In file included from afpfs.h:21,
                 from afpfs.c:29:
/usr/include/linux/atalk.h:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
afpfs.c: At top level:
afpfs.c:47: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:48: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
afpfs.c:240: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:242: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSReadSuper':
afpfs.c:265: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c:309: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSPutSuper':
afpfs.c:351: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c:355: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSWriteInode':
afpfs.c:472: structure has no member named `i_dirt'
make: *** [kernel/afpfs.o] Error 1

Any idea what I can do to fix this?  Is there some new version of atalk
that I need to get?  Or is there some other AppleTalk client I could use
since afpfs seems to have disappeared?

Thanks,
Janet

------------------------------

From: Pierre Bodart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /etc/hosts.deny syntax differs from man pages ?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:32:42 +0200

Hi,

I'm using RH 5.2 kernel 2.0.34. I'm protecting a little bit also my box
by running tcpd from inetd for most of the services (Telnet, FTP, ...).
With tcpd you can allow/deny access to services with the configuration
files hosts.allow and hosts.deny.
According the man pages, you can also ask tcpd to run  a command when a
rule is valid. E.g. in hosts.deny you can have an entry like :

in.telnetd: ALL: (/usr/bin/finger -l @%h | /bin/mail -s %d-%h
[EMAIL PROTECTED])&

which will for each telnet attempt (who will be refused by this rule)
run the finger command against the calling host and mail the result to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] The command is launched in the background to not hung
the service.

By the way, when attempting to telnet to my box, I'm well 'denied', but
the log file show me the following error and I'm getting of course no
mail under root :

in.telnetd: connect from xx.xx.xx.xx
in.telnetd: error: /etc/hosts.deny, line 9: bad option name:
"(/usr/bin/finger"
in.telnetd: refused connect from xx.xx.xx.xx

I've tried several other syntax or commands, no way.
It seems that the command is passed to telnet as an argument, which is
of course a bad option .... but it's not what is expected or explained
in the man page.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Cheers,

Pierre

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Mar 1999 20:39:54 -0500

"Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Here is my dream machine:
>
> Celeron 366 overclocked to 550
> Abit BH6 mobo
> 128 Mb SDRAM (PC-100) (one piece)
> Nvidia TNT2 (when it comes out - should be soon!)
> Optiquest V95 (19")
> 12+ gig HD
> etc...
>
> anyone else thinks this is a nice system?

>From what I've read, it is problematical to overclock Celerons past 450 (ie,
taking the 300A and changing the memory from 66Mhz to 100Mhz will give you a
450Mhz machine, but doing the same for a 333A or 366 machine often times is not
successful).  This is because they use the Pentium-II 450 Mhz core internally.

Also with new video cards, there is often times a wait of a couple of months
until an X server appears that supports it (usually it is the commercial X
servers first, then XFree86).

> --
> "Ein Folk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler
> "One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft's slogan
>

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I've gotten the go-ahead from my better half (read: my wife) to spend
> > around 2K on a new system. I'd like to hear _specific_ success and/or
> > horror stories on systems and peripherals that have worked and not
> > worked with Linux. My prequisites:
> >
> > 400mhz CPU
> > 96mb RAM
> > 8mb video card
> > 19" monitor
> > sound card, speakers
> > 4GB hard drive
> > CD-ROM

With respect to the original request, you might want to check out vendors who
supply Linux pre-installed.  It minimizes the chance that something doesn't
work.  For a list, look at:

        http://www.cygnus.com/~meissner/linux.html#Hardware

For example, from ASLabs, you could get a a 400 Mhz Celeron with 128 meg of
memory, 10 gig disk, CDROM, ethernet for $1,125, which would be plenty left
over for a decent 19" monitor.  I use a Nokia 446Xpro myself, which is a damn
fine monitor (I run it at 1600x1200 32-bit pixels at 83Hz refresh rate), though
it is not cheap (on the other hand, you only have one set of eyes, and poor
monitors can give you headaches and such).

> > Bonuses:
> > DVD

I think right now Linux doesn't support DVDs, except as CDroms.

> > Color printer
> > Tape backup
> > Dual CPUs

For $2k, you probably won't get dual CPUs without cutting elsewhere.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PO Box 98, Ayer Massachusetts, USA 01432-0098

From: "Glink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Chinese KDE fonts
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:19:44 +0800

Hi all,
It is possible to let KDE to look chinese. But where do I get the fonts and
let KDE know where they are?

Frank