Linux-Misc Digest #651, Volume #19               Mon, 29 Mar 99 16:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: IE5 under Linux ("The Lewis Family")
  Re: Gozilla for Linux? (Jeremy)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (William Burrow)
  Re: IE5 under Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  can't su from the root account (bakhit)
  Re: 2.2.3 doesn't like my HDD (Humphrey Zhang)
  GNOME and GIMP living happily together? (Jason T. Breitweg)
  Re: Boot messages (Bob Martin)
  Re: Remove all headers lines except Subject and From? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Broken cdrom driver for sonycd535 (Jeremy Weinberger)
  Re: FrameBuffer Questions! (Radovan Garabik)
  keyboard (Michel Getraide)
  LILO boot?? (Derek)
  Can't compile kernel (=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Huguet)
  Re: Weird Netscape Question (Mircea)
  Re: Internet/Network problems (Yan Seiner)
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... ("Alexander I. Butenko")
  Re: HP Deskjet 722C (Grant Taylor)
  Re: Error compiling kernel for Redhat 5.2 ("Martin R. Soderstrom")

From: "The Lewis Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:15:18 +0100

Jan Johansson wrote in message <7dnebn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Where's the problem? Only RH is up to rev 5.2 so it cant be any other
>distro.. SuSE never had a 5.2 ...

YES IT DID

and i cant think of any distro that had..

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gozilla for Linux?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 02:01:24 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there any software for linux, that can resume downloading of broken files?
> Like GoZilla for windows.

Try the 'reget' command in ftp(1).

Jeremy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 18:01:18 GMT

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:58:30 -0500,
Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Besides which, that's not the point. The point is that
>usability seems to occupy very little of a Linux software
>designer's attention. Does it cost $ to make the command
>to install software "Install"?

For me, it is usually ``make install.''  Wow.  Difficult concept.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 29 Mar 1999 14:58:26 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Jan Johansson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: Where's the problem? Only RH is up to rev 5.2 so it cant be any other
: distro.. SuSE never had a 5.2 and i cant think of any distro that had..
: besides redhat?

SuSE did have a 5.2.
I should know, I have it installed currently on my machine at home.

(It was a special free version on the coverdisk of PC Plus magazine)
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: bakhit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't su from the root account
Date: 29 Mar 1999 19:07:58 GMT

Hi all
I can su from a user account to the root account with no problems, but
when i tried to su from the root account to a user account i get this
error message:
shell-init:could not set current directory

what is going on here??
any help is greatly appreciated

thanx
mark

------------------------------

From: Humphrey Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: 2.2.3 doesn't like my HDD
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:33:18 -0500

I had the same problem just like you, and I solved the problem by making
the ext2fs part of the kernel, not as a module. If you think this could be
the
reason to your problem, you need to restart from "make config".

Jun

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason T. Breitweg)
Subject: GNOME and GIMP living happily together?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 16:39:04 +0200

Hi all,

I have a freshly installed SuSE 6.0 system without any trace of GNOME,
GIMP, or GTK on it.  I want to know the best way of going about
installing GNOME and GIMP such that they won't have any conflicting
problems.  I think it would be nice if I could separate each one off
by itself (including all the libraries) so that if I wanted to remove
it it would be easy.  Any suggestions?

Jason

--
+-------------------+------------------------------+
| Jason T. Breitweg | Home:  +49 (0)40 23 80 90 98 |

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot messages
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:46:36 -0600

Use the dmesg command to list the boot time messages or look in
/var/log/messages. You would get these messages from linux if it had
previously not been shutdown cleanly, like just hitting the power switch,
to shutdown cleanly use the "shutdown -h now" command. Normally when
booting if an unclean disk is detected fsck will be run to clean the disk.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Remove all headers lines except Subject and From?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 10:49:40 -0500

In article <HhHL2.626$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, oak wrote:
> Anyone know of a way I can filter out all header lines in e-mail, and
> also perhaps newsgroup posts, except for the Subject and From lines?

Do you literally want to get rid of them, or do you just not want to see
them?  If the latter, then most decent client programs (e.g., mutt, slrn,
...) will do that for you.

--
Paul Kimoto   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Jeremy Weinberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Broken cdrom driver for sonycd535
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 02:01:24 -0600

I am almost certain that the hardware is okay. The same drive works under
dos & also can be accessed by the redhat upgrade/install program. The drive
is currently not configured in hardware to use irqs or dma, which is fine
because the driver is not written to support either. The driver does load at
the correct base address, matching the hardware jumper I'm using. It only
begins to fail when I try to mount the drive or read data from the raw
device with dd. I haven't tried using a different cable, but I seriously
doubt that's the problem. Any driver experts out there?

jeremy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Radovan Garabik)
Subject: Re: FrameBuffer Questions!
Date: 29 Mar 1999 08:44:38 GMT

Fluor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 : Hi!

 : I have two questions regarding FrameBuffers and Linux / X-Windows...

 : The first one: Why does catting a long file with FrameBuffer consoles take
 : up 100% CPU time, and what to do about it?  This is really really annoying.
 : I Screwed up a CD-Writable because of this bug..
Because it has to scroll the whole screen.
Try adding video=vesa:ywarp to your kernel parameters
(or  video=vesa:ypan if your card does not support ywrap)
It will be still slow, though... using less colours helps.

 : Second question: How do I set my display with FrameBuffer consoles &
 : X-Windows to a refreshrate higher than 60Hz?  I'd like 75Hz or even 80Hz
 : if possible. But how do I fix that?

You don't. Once you booted into framebuffer display, the mode cannot be
changed.
The only way seems to be to set resolution and refreshrate under msdos (with
some msdos program) and then boot linux with loadlin.

 : Please help me! :]

| Radovan Garabik  http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik |
| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph . uniba . sk       |

From: Michel Getraide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: keyboard
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:09:59 +0200

I install  linux a few days ago.
I have a french keyboard and "Alt Gr" doesn't work.So I can't use theses
following letters:
# ...{...[...@...

Thanks for help.

------------------------------

From: Derek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: LILO boot??
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:35:43 -0600

I have RH5.1 and Win95 going throught the LILO boot and was wondering if
there is a way to change which one is the default boot or the time
interval that you have to enter "dos" for Win95 booting.   right now
Linux is the default and I have about 5 seconds to type in dos to boot
Win95 and want to change the default to Win95 or make the 5 seconds a
little longer.
any help is appreciated.  You can email or post back to here.
thanks
derek

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Huguet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't compile kernel
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:47:21 +0200

I'm a little new to Linux;actually on rh5.2 - kernel 2.0.34 -I've tried
compiling kernel 2.0.36, 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 : always the same error in make
dep : the mkdep script can't find the included files (stdio.h...) - Does
anyone have an idea on why these files have disappeared, and how to
recover them ?
Thanks in advance !

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Weird Netscape Question
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:47:41 -0500

No idea. But at least, it doesn't start with /*shiver*/ microsoft.com
/*thrill*/ :)

MST

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet/Network problems
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:44:25 -0500

5.2 works fine on the internet.  Make sure you follow the HOWTO; there's
a few steps you have to follow.  Did you compile your kernel correctly?
Did you add the nameserver(s) to resolv.conf?  Can you ping your ISP?
Is the connection being made?

I got RH 5.2 on the internet within aobut 30 minutes.

Post with more details (rather than "it doesn't work").

Yan

------------------------------

From: "Alexander I. Butenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:51:02 +0300
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,micorosft.public.outlook

I finally explain that I  mean that it's ANYWAY more easier to install NT
than Linux for a novice user.
David Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7dn8fq$ntm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <#H7f6dVe#GA.267@cppssbbsa03>,
> "Alexander I. Butenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Well,, I'd beter think that there is a Server for the client, not
> > vice-versa. And one more - the question was about the OS for the home.
MOst
> > hom eusers can't even properly configure Win98, so the most correct
answer
> > about the Server was not linux but WIndows NT. Anyway I do not wasn to
> > continue this flame as most of this group members seem to gain nothing
from
> > it.
>
> If most people can't even set up win98 at home, what hope have they with
NT?

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Deskjet 722C
Date: 29 Mar 1999 15:53:38 -0500

"Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have the HP Deskjet 722C, and my kernel is compiled with support for
> parallel printers and all that stuff. Also, the dmesg reports that the HP
> Deskjet 722C is on par port lp0. Now, how the heck do I get it to print? I
> have tried "lpr <filename>", but it doesn't do anything...

The 722 is a "PPA" printer instead of the more usual "PCL" speaking
printer.  Unfortunately, HP will not tell the world how to operate PPA
printers, so the best anyone has been able to do is figure out how to
print in black and white.

See http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=HP and
then http://www.httptech.com/ppa/

--