Linux-Misc Digest #664, Volume #19               Wed, 31 Mar 99 00:13:15 EST

Contents:
  Please help: Email through Netscape consumes99% of the CPU (Ed Finch)
  Re: MIDI recording suggestions ? (Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?=)
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (Don Heffernan)
  Newbie FTP Problem ("Stressed")
  Re: fun with [MS] spellcheckers... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LILO boot?? (Kev)
  Re: Linux and Exchange Server (Tim Kelley)
  Re: Slackware and XWindows environments (Richard R Urena)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color II + Samba 2.0.3 (Redhat 5.9 Linux) = no print ("Loren Cook")
  CD-I emulator that works ("Christian")
  Help with LILO ("Luiz Gadelha Jr.")
  communication problems with netscape and dial-up ppp (Michael Torrie)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation ("Nobody")
  Re: FS: Cygnus GNUPro Toolkit (Gary J. Hanley)
  Re: Need to find the 'no' program. (Jason Bell)
  Timidity question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GPL vs BSD license agreement (source code reuse) (brian moore)
  Re: Help with LILO? (Philippe TRICHET)
  GLide SDK / Mesa -> GL Quake?! (The Rushking)
  Multi-booting - Installing  RedHat on Win98/NT machine ("David M. Goudreau")
  Help with .tar.gz ("Henry Ostrowski")
  Sound Card (Eric Bryant)
  Where/How to Install Libraries? (Ron DeLorme)

From: Ed Finch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help: Email through Netscape consumes99% of the CPU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:41:22 -0500

I've got a Dell Latitude running Red Hat 5.2 and Communicator 4.51.
We're running Netscape Messenging Server 3.5. When I try to send
email, Netscape asks for the password for the SMTP server and,
after I enter it, Netscape races and never sends the message. I've
checked all of my settings, the server settings and even rebooted
the server. Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

------------------------------

From: Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIDI recording suggestions ?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 23:27:56 GMT

**Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Can anyone suggest some MIDI recording, and possibly general music
: composition, software for
: Linux ?

Try the Rosegarden suite.
You would find lots of applications in
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linux_soundapps.html
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - ICQ #9945705
Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker running Linux 2.2.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Heffernan)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 03:04:17 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:36:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hello, I am thinking about doing the very same thing.  I have a copy of 5.2
>on a 486 with 32Meg and will be getting my dsl line next month.  I was
>wondering which client did you use on your W95 machine?  I tried to tell my
>machine to log onto an NT domain but got lost in the HOW-TOs on the Linux
>side.  I saw a Sun client for PCNFS sitting in the network CPL and was
>wondering if it is easier to set up the W95 machine do things the Linux way
>instead of the other way around.

I think you might do that for SAMBA if you want to use the Linux box
for file and print services, but if you just want to use the Linux box
as a firewall, web server etc. then go the other way.  Disable WINS,
set your gateway address to eth1 (which should be a private IP address
like 192.168.1.1 - and your Win98 boxes 192.168.1.2, etc)  and set
your DNS for your ISP DNS servers.

From: "Stressed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Newbie FTP Problem
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:26:54 GMT

I have the typical Linux machine using IP masQ to connect my Windoze LAN to
the net via cable modem. By typical I mean I used the typical addressing
scheme (192.168.1.x) for the LAN and I use DHCP to get settings for my
gateway interface.

I have RHL 5.2 and it runs wu FTP (wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR13]).

Whenever I try to connect to a remote (Internet) FTP site from a Windoze
machine, (going through the Linux masQ machine), I get the connection, but I
get the following error and I'm unable to see, send or recieve data:

230 User mojo7 logged in.
PWD
257 "/home/@c/h/c/mojo7" is current directory.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Host type (2): UNIX (standard)
PORT 192,168,1,2,4,47
500 Illegal PORT Command
! port cmd failed.
! DoDirList failed 0

Is this due to my masQing or to my FTP setup or both or what?

Anyone have this problem and know how to fix it?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fun with [MS] spellcheckers...
Date: 31 Mar 1999 03:20:48 GMT

Tom Emerson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: products, or whatever does MS try to "subvert" by auto-correcting to
: otherwise random and meaningless words?  What gems have you run across?
: So now I wonder -- what other common unix/linux commands, programs,

Once got ANSI -> ANUS in a MS-Word spell check.

IAP
--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'

------------------------------

From: Kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: LILO boot??
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:42:52 +0000

You can also specify defaults by making them the first entry in the
file.

- Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Subject: Re: Linux and Exchange Server
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:58:40 -05-59

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 05:25:17 GMT, Robert Binz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Good day all,
>
>I am looking for a Exchange Server Client that will run under Linux.
>Our office has moved to Exchange 5.5 and the people running the
>Exchange servers refuse to open up pop or imap.  Since I use Linux as
>my OS at work I have found myself having to logout of Linux and boot
>into MS OS and do my mail thing and then boot back into Linux.
>
>Does anyone have knowledge of a exchange native client for Linux?
>Anyone working on one and needs a beta tester?
>
>TIA
>Robert Binz

Tim Kelley

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard R Urena)
Subject: Re: Slackware and XWindows environments
Date: 30 Mar 1999 18:36:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>The reason I'm asking is
>that I'm currently unhappy with what my XWindows setup looks like now and I
>want to change it.

Slackware 3.5 (what I have) comes configured by default
to use fvwm95 as the Window manager.    It has other
choices as well:  fvwm2 (this is the one I use), olvwm,
mwm and something else I forget right now.   You can get
a feeling for what the other managers look like by switching
to them.   On the "quit" menu there are options to quit
fvwm95 and start the other win managers.  Give them a try.

Once you find one that you sort of like; you can make it
your permantent choice by editing the last line of the
"startx" script.    Then read the appropriate man
page (e.g. man fvwm2) for who to configure it.

>Enlightenment as my Windows Manager and GNOME as my Desktop Environment but
>I'm not exactly sure on how these two things relate to the current
>configuration of XFree86 that I'm using on my Slackware 3.6 box now.

If you want to install Enlightenment and GNOME you may need to
upgrade quite a lot of things, including XFRee86 itself.   Could be
a lot of work.   Try the ones that are on your installation.
Also check your Slackware CD-ROM in the contrib directory;
mine came with a beta version of KDE that can be installed
as a package.

------------------------------

From: "Loren Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.samba,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,comp.periphs.printers,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color II + Samba 2.0.3 (Redhat 5.9 Linux) = no print
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:17:18 -0800

I can't remember how mine is setup exactly but I think the printer section
format in smb.conf is more like:

        [printers]
                    path = /usr/spool/public
                    writeable = no
                    guest ok = yes
                    printable = yes

------------------------------

From: "Christian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: CD-I emulator that works
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:42:52 +0200

So now we know all about CD-I (and not VCD) - fine.

I found an 'emulator' that extracts the mpg file from CD-I (yep CD-I aaanndd
not VCD) on regular PC CD-ROM players
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dbt/CDi/CDiMain.html
the prg. is in the src.zip file and is called test. Only one problem - it
somehow stops reading the cds at block 240901 everytime (all CDs), which
cuts away (a guess) the last 5 min. of the movie - You're still able to see
the rest.
The src. code is included, so if any of you know how to - please do.
I've tried to contact the auhtor using e-mail - but no respons yet...

If any further info is needed, email:

From: "Luiz Gadelha Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with LILO
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:30:15 -0300

Hi!
I've just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on a computer using the following
partitioning scheme:

        Disk: /dev/hdc
        Size: 3GB
        Partitions:
                /dev/hdc1       /boot           10MB
                /dev/hdc2       /               2990MB

But I can't figure out how to configure LILO in this situation, with the
kernel not in the root partition. I've used this scheme since I was
advised to keep the kernel on the first cilinders of the disk. I am
installing LILO on the /dev/hda MBR. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Luiz.

------------------------------

From: Michael Torrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: communication problems with netscape and dial-up ppp
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:12:53 -0700

Netscape seems to be having great difficulty on my computer
communicating reliably via the ppp connection I have.  It often claims
the site either can't be found or can't be reached.  Usually clicking on
the link a few times will finally make the connection.  What I would
like to know is how I can modify the settings of the net connection to
increase the timeout length, or make the connection stay alive longer.
Where do I adjust such things (if that's really what I need to adjust)
and how?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Michael Torrie

Remove x from e-mail address to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Nobody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:46:29 -0600

Maybe the Linux Community, and even say, Red Hat or Caldera, will create a
hardware company devoted to Linux Compatible hardware not limited to modems,
but anything Linux.  What about so called non modem hookups like ISDN, T1,
Satellite, Cable, Etc. Will that work?
Thanks All

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It was the 27 Mar 1999 06:41:36 GMT...
> ..and Geoffrey Kenneth Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > : In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > : access.att.net>,
> > :   Hugh Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : > Wow, thanks for the responses, guys - and in email too. I guess I
> > : > touched a nerve with this question.
> >
> > : Right! The Win Modems are coming in force. I think it's high time
someone
> > : hacked one. I am afraid, in a coup[le of years, plain old hardware
modems will
> > : disapear altogether... :( What will linux do?
> >
> > : Arkadiy
> > : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Would it be possible to use the windoze driver for them under WINE?
> > Just asking... Just thinking.
>
> No. Basically, Winmodems rely on some "real-time" features of Windows
> 9x... that is, the ability of a client program to futz with interrupts
> and such directly.
>
> mawa
> --
> "They're expending enough energy just taking in oxygen on a daily
> basis, you think they have any synaptic activity left over to devote
> to Intelligent Thought?"
>                           -- Synth F. Oberheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

linux.redhat.install,comp.lang.c,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.devel,ne.forsale
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary J. Hanley)
Subject: Re: FS: Cygnus GNUPro Toolkit
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:54:33 GMT

This is a followup to my previous message. Seems that either this must be a
fairly inferior product (I can honestly say I think company sucks - don't know
about the product) or I am just a terrible salesman.  :-|  I would imagine
*someone* can use it.

I didn't get any responses to my offer to sell this product for the price I was
asking, so I have decided to Ebay-it and see if I can finally get it off my
desk.

If no one responds after this it goes in the trash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=84978734

-- Gary

------------------------------

From: Jason Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need to find the 'no' program.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:17:21 -0800

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:33:19 -0800...
> ..and Jason Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am trying to compile the gnome-core, but somwhere in the compile
> > process it needs to use the 'no'  program with the -o option.  (i.e
> > '/usr/bin/no -o )  My system has yes, which prints out a constant stream
> > of yes. I assume that no does a simmilar function, so I tried to write a
> > script:
> >
> > ######## script code
> > #!/bin/sh
> > doloop() {
> >   echo 'no';
> >      doloop;
> > }
> > doloop
> >
> > ####### End script code.
>
> Whaa! This is not a loop, this is a recursive function calling itself!
> It will overflow the stack at some point.
>
> Try:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> while true
> do echo no
> done
>
> mawa
> --
> When you look at yourself in an aberrational mirror, you see your real
> self, looking back at the twisted you.
>        -- Dr. (?) Bob Miller, "The Aberrational View of the Universe",
>           Twisted Science, Heat, National Public Radio

<G> Yes I know, but it perfectly mimics the functionality of the yes program,
which is why I did it.  I have not yet mastered while statements, but thanks.
I'll try that and see how it works.  Coincidently, I was just compiling
something else that required this........Odd that it hasn't come up before.

Jason Bell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Timidity question
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:05:41 +0100

Okay...

I compiled it, added the patches, it all seems to work very nicely, with a
choice of interfaces no less. I've even got UMP working.

Just as well, since my copy of kmidi seems to be hoplessly buggy (any attempt
to use any buttons causes it to exit immediately, it never plays more than
1/2 a second, and usually none, and when I *did* have it working, it was
missing so many tone-banks it wasn't funny.

Still one niggle: Has anyone actually gotten the xskin thing to work?

I've tried, but it just doesn't seem to be interested.

(Yes, TIMIDITY_SKIN _is_ set in my .bashrc...)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |     It is not 'who' you are
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           |     But who you are becoming.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |                         -- Goethe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: GPL vs BSD license agreement (source code reuse)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 04:05:23 GMT

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:59:59 GMT,
 JR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Back to the subject… I am still confused somewhat about this:  Is it
> the case that BSD licensed code can be used in a COMMERCIAL package
> without any restrictions other than stating "Some of this code is
> licensed by BSD"  And one may charge for the software at will and not
> release the code as well.  Is this the case?

Yep.

That's the reason many GPL supporters believe that the BSD license is
flawed:  it allows others to completely convert works to their own
gain.  (It offers little advantages to the programmer, since it has no
real protection over what public domain releases would give.  The GPL at
least ensures that others will be on the same playing field as you.)

It is, of course, a religious point as to what is right.  (Akin to the
real-world questions of whether 'freedom' includes the right to
enslave.)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Philippe TRICHET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help with LILO?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:39:51 +0200

Use the "linear" option in lilo.conf. !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Rushking)
Subject: GLide SDK / Mesa -> GL Quake?!
Date: 31 Mar 99 04:32:29 GMT

I have recently been attempted to get GL Quake working under Linux. I have
a Voodoo2 (Diamond Monster) 8Mb 3Dfx card. I installed the Mesa
libraries... no problems... and it said i needed the Glide SDK, which I
downloaded from 3dfx.com and installed it.

Then upon running glquake, i get an error along the lines of
missing glide2x.dll

So i get slightly frustrated and decide to read through the Mesa
documentation again, and find a note saying that I need a different
version of the Glide SDK.... The problem is... 3dfx.com only offers the
one version on the web page. Where oh where could I find the required sdk?
Is this even the problem?!

Thanks for your help...

------------------------------

From: "David M. Goudreau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Multi-booting - Installing  RedHat on Win98/NT machine
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:40:23 -0800

Question:

My machine has Win98 and WinNT Server on it.  I've got a 16 GB hard drive
partitioned into 3 parts, the C drive as a boot drive, the D drive for Win98
and the E drive for WinNT Server.

I'm not using any boot manager currently, because I installed Win98, then
WinNT, which automatically added Win98 to its boot menu.

How should I install RedHat and partition the drives?  And how should I
handle the boot process?  I have PartitionMagic's BootManager, if necessary.
I just don't know how to handle the install process without screwing up the
boot process I currently have.

Thanks in advance.

dmgoud

------------------------------

From: "Henry Ostrowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with .tar.gz
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:28:46 +1000

I hope someone can help me. I am new to linux and am determined to beat it.
I cant seem to unzip a [ .tar.gz  ] or [ -tar.gz ] file I am doing
(( gzip -d users-guide-1_0_4_tat.gz | tar -xvf-  )) and the only result I
get is that the .gz disappears off the file.
Henry

------------------------------

From: Eric Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:39:48 +0000

I am running RedHat Linux 5.2, and I have an ESS  ES1869 sound card, and
am looking for help on configuring. It's not on the list in sndconfig,
so is there a newer sndconfig than version 0.27? The settings under DOS
are as follows:
IRQ 5
DMA 1
DMA 3
I/O 0220-022F   0388-038B   0330-0331
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Eric

------------------------------

From: Ron DeLorme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where/How to Install Libraries?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:49:25 -0600

I need some advice installing non-RPM software on Red Hat 5.2.  I can
semi-successfully configure, make, and make-install packages but I need
some clarification.  As an example, I got gtk 1.2 as a tar.gz.  I put it
in a directory called temp, and unzipped it and untarred it.  Then I ran
./configure, make, and make install. Then I ran ldconfig.

The libraries appear to be in their proper place, other programs can
reference them.  But I've got all of this other stuff left in my temp
directory.  Much of it, such as a tutorial and other documentation
didn't get installed anywhere.  I believe that the only copy of the
makefile is still in the temp directory.

Where should I put the stuff left in my temp directory?  I want to keep
the tutorials and documentation.  If this was some other program, I
might want to uninstall it later.  Do I need to keep a copy of the
makefile?

Up to this point, after a program was made and installed, I would erase
everything in the temp directory and keep a copy of the original tar.gz.

I also notice that my earlier version gtk libraries were installed in
/usr/lib while the new stuff is in /usr/local/lib.

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated.