From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Conover)
Subject: Re: Gnome not cooperating
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 00:08:51 GMT

This is a CORBA-related problem.  Did you change your hostname by chance?  All
that hex stuff is basically the CORBA (ORBit's) way of pointing to a unique
object, which goes like host->port->object id (in this case, the name
service)...at least I think that's what the format is.

Or maybe the name server isn't starting

in any case it would be interesting to see what the gnome name graph looks
like

-Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Shaffer, Jr.)
Subject: serial port cards
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 03:55:59 GMT

What's the cheapest and simplest serial port card I can get that will work with
Linux?  I only need two ports (besides the two on my motherboard) and could even
get along with one, but they must be able to be used simultaneously with the
ports on the motherboard.

--
home page: http://woodstock.csrlink.net/~jshaffer

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where can I download Linux as one compressed file?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:38:02 -0600

I think it would be cheaper buying it from www.cheapbytes.com, you can get
redhat 5.2 for less than $5 and it comes with more than one CD. If you try
downloading a single file, some places have the iso image for you to
download, problem is it's a 530 meg file and it would take forever over a
phone line. Believe me, buying it would save you a lot of time and money.
Unless you copy it from a friend, since it's not illegal to do so.

David Dineen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> A good while ago I got hold of a magazine cover CD with RedHat 4.1 and
> installed it on my PC. I didn't use it very much, though. It couldn't
> read the long filenames on my Windows drives and it was a bitch to set
> up. Now I've seen KDE running on a later version on a computer in a
> university and I'd like to give Linux another go.
>
> I found a mirror that's close to me and that's fairly fast
> (ftp.heanet.ie) but here's my problem. In Ireland we get billed per
> minute for local/Internet calls and downloading something this big is
> fairly expensive. I usually use a great piece of software for the PC
> called GetRight for large downloads. I can download a bit every day in
> the background without adding too many zeros to my phone bill. But
> GetRight will only download single files; I can't just point it at a
> directory and let it get on with it.
>
> So,basically, is there somewhere I can download RH 5.2 in one big
> file, and then unzip/untar it? Is there a better way?

>  David Dineen                                Fruity Bits
>  www.cs.tcd.ie/spinaweb/98_finalists/02_fruitybits/

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,rec.humor,ox.os.linux
Subject: Re: Microsoft Patents Open-Source
From: Klaus Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 01 Apr 1999 18:22:30 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> You silly april fool you...
> :)
>
> The whole idea of an april fool is to make them believable, and thus fool
> people with them...
>
> That one's not going to fool anyone...

The thing from a few years ago with Gates sueing Santa was funnier.
Klaus Schilling

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to mount hpfs
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:51:00 +1000

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Himanshu Roy Pota wrote:

> I am trying to mount an NT partition (os/2 hpfs) from linux-2.0.36 with
> hpfs kernel support built in.
> When I type
> mount -t hpfs /dev/hda1 /hpfs
> it complains
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>               or too many mounted file systems
>
> Is there a way I can mount my NT file system?

Despite Linux's fdisk advertising that NT partitions are HPFS, they are
not.

NT partitions are NTFS - a completely different format, although the
partition signature is the same as HPFS {which is why they get reported as
HPFS by fdisk}.

AFAIK, mounting NTFS partitions is not possible under the 2.0.36 kernel
without

A) Upgrading to 2.x or

B) Applying a patch of some sort and recompiling.

I believe the NTFS support for 2.0.36 is read only, as it is for 2.x
unless you use the {experimental} write drivers.

DaZZa