Linux-Misc Digest #694, Volume #26                Tue, 2 Jan 01 23:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Roger Blake)
  Decompressing a .tgz file (mike)
  Re: distro installation signatures (mpulliam)
  Re: Realtime audio processing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Decompressing a .tgz file (elaine chan)
  Re: OT: It's 2001 & M$ refuses to 'see' Linux partitions ("Patrick Bartek")
  XFree desktop size (Jim Harkins)
  Re: distro installation signatures ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Switching to Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: External machines to view web server (Mark Post)
  Re: XFree desktop size (Dances With Crows)
  Linux network problem? ("Pete")
  mpg123 skips when samba working (Mat)
  New Redhat install issues?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  slackware.com down for a week? ("Nick Brown")
  Re: New Redhat install issues?? (David)
  Motherboard Compatibility ==== ??????? ("Jawahir Koul")
  stopping X from starting on bootup ("blix")
  Re: kernel 2.2.17 build errors ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: stopping X from starting on bootup ("Dan White")
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (John Hasler)
  Re: slackware.com down for a week? (David)
  Re: stopping X from starting on bootup (David)
  Re: lilo with new kernel don't work ("Dan White")
  Help for exporting the mysql database ("steven tam")
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mpg123 skips when samba working (Glitch)
  Re: slackware.com down for a week? (Robert Kiesling)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Re: DVD software for Linux yet?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:14:47 GMT

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:29:58 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Uh, picture quality?

I'm perfectly happy with the excellent quality of Beta and LaserDisk,
and VHS, while not great, is acceptable. I see no reason for yet
another video format, and as I said the idea of sitting in front of
a computer to watch movies seems ludicrous in the extreme. Then
again, whatever floats your boat.

>It's also damned inconvient to lug a TV/VCR onto a plane...

That's why they have those things, oh what do they call them,
in-flight movies...

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Decompressing a .tgz file
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:24:14 GMT

Hi,
    I would like to know specifically how to decompress

    a file like:        hello.tgz

                                                Thanks
                                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mpulliam)
Subject: Re: distro installation signatures
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:39:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:20:08 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Given an unknown linux installation,
is there a way to detect if the
>original installation was Red Hat,
Debian, SuSe or something else

look at /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net
for a clue in RH and Mandrake. Not
sure about the Debian-based distros.

MP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Realtime audio processing
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:31:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Theo van der Merwe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would like to do some processing on audio data (using a sound card
> compatible with Linux) in realtime. How do I obtain the raw audio data
using
> Redhat Linux?

Sound-HOWTO
Source for any of the soundcard programs
linux/soundcard.h for all the ioctl() calls

Laura Halliday VE7LDH      "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg                pied a terre..." - Hospital/Shafte

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Decompressing a .tgz file
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (elaine chan)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:45:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>    I would like to know specifically how to decompress
>
>    a file like:        hello.tgz
>

>                                                Thanks
>                                                            Mike

         tar -xvzf hello.tgz

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 Jan 2001 15:50:17 +0800
Subject: Re: OT: It's 2001 & M$ refuses to 'see' Linux partitions

> What's wrong with this picture?
>
> COREL Linux canshow me the windows partitions, and I'm even able to move
> or copy a file from my Windows C: dir into Linux in D: I get all my
> d/loads this way using my Win98SE free internet access.
>
> Now it's the year 2001 and there are lots of dual-boot PCs now. Why
> doesn't microsoft let Windows Explorer 'see' into my Linux partitions?
> Does it have somethig to do with the architecture of Windows, or is it
> just plain stubborn refusal to acknowledge the non-Redmond OS?

It is Microsoft's marketing strategy: get EVERYONE to use only
Windows and Microsoft apps. (Then there's no need for any other
OS's or software developers.)

And it's been very successful, so far:  90% of the personal computers
in the WORLD are now running some form of Windows.  Why do you think
an antitrust lawsuit was brought against Microsoft?

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath Group

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Harkins)
Subject: XFree desktop size
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:35:04 GMT

System is Redhat 7.0, XFree 4.01, kernel 2.4-test something, hardware
an ATI Rage 128.  The system is at work and I can only access the net
from home, so I'll be a bit vague here.

How do I make the desktop size match my screen size?  The desktop is
something like 1800x1200, but I've got my screen resolution set to
about 1200 x 768 (that is, something legible by 42 y/o eyeballs).  One
thing I hate is a desktop larger than my screen, especially one about
4x larger.  I'm not sure if this is related to X, XFree, Gnome, or
Redhat, but how exactly do I make the desktop resolution match the
screen resolution?

Actually, where in the @#*(^^!#$ docs does it *tell* me how to make
the desktop resolution match the screen resolution?  Trust me, I've
looked.

jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:33:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Given an unknown linux installation, is there a way to detect if the
> original installation was Red Hat, Debian, SuSe or something else?

In Mandrake:

jbuchana@flenser$ ls -l /etc/mandrake-release
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           36 May 10  2000 /etc/mandrake-release
jbuchana@flenser$ cat mandrake-release
Linux Mandrake release 7.1 (helium)
jbuchana@flenser$

If I remember, RedHat has a "/etc/redhat-release" file as well.

In Slackware:

jbuchana@grimalkin$ ls -l /etc/slackware-version
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            6 Oct  9  1999 /etc/slackware-version
jbuchana@grimalkin$ cat /etc/slackware-version
7.0.0
jbuchana@grimalkin$

I don't have any other distributions running at the moment to check,
but I suspect they all have something to this effect.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Switching to Linux
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:37:19 GMT

Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> acoolguy wrote:
>> 2. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

Any legal questions aside (Like who owns the name "Unix" this week),
Linux is simply a very nice (my favorite) version of Unix.

I admin HPUX, Solaris, and Linux at work. There are differences, but
if you know one, you'll be up to speed on the others with very little
effort.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================
Of age there is no question, Death's shadow is undone
We only need each other, And shelter from the sun -Sandy Pearlman (BOC)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: External machines to view web server
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:52:29 GMT

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:17:36 -0500, "Zukich, Alen [SKY:6J00:EXCH]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm currently running a system that has 3 boxs connected to the linux
>box running ip-masqerading.
>It all works great.  My new issue is that I would like an external
>machine from the internet to be able to connect to my linux box (the
>linux box now runs apache web server with mysql and php).  I read the
>IP-Masq- HOWTO (forwarders section) which explains exactly how to do
>this for kernal 2.2.X.  According to the HOWTO it is done with ipmasqadm
>
>portfw (a couple of lines to add to the rc.firewall).  But this is not
>working for me.  Am I missing something?  BTW I'm running RedHat 6.2,
>kernel 2.2.14.

I have two lines in my firewall script that deal with this, and it works
fine for me.  The first line 'clears' the port forwarding at the beginning,
and the second line re-establishes it later on.

ipmasqadm portfw -f
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L $external_IPADDR 80  -R $WWW_SERVER_IPADDR 80

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: XFree desktop size
Date: 3 Jan 2001 02:07:34 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:35:04 GMT, Jim Harkins staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>System is Redhat 7.0, XFree 4.01, kernel 2.4-test something, hardware
>an ATI Rage 128.  The system is at work and I can only access the net
>from home, so I'll be a bit vague here.
>
>How do I make the desktop size match my screen size?  The desktop is
>something like 1800x1200, but I've got my screen resolution set to
>about 1200 x 768 (that is, something legible by 42 y/o eyeballs).  One
>thing I hate is a desktop larger than my screen, especially one about
>4x larger.  I'm not sure if this is related to X, XFree, Gnome, or
>Redhat, but how exactly do I make the desktop resolution match the
>screen resolution?
>
>Actually, where in the @#*(^^!#$ docs does it *tell* me how to make
>the desktop resolution match the screen resolution?  Trust me, I've
>looked.

This isn't quite a FAQ but it's covered in a lot of places.  In
/etc/X11/XF86Config , you should see a section of the file near the end
which looks like so:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "400x300"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

The largest mode, 1280x1024, is the size of the virtual screen, unless
you have a "Virtual" line somewhere else in the file.  Comment out that
line if it's present.  From what you've been saying, I think you want to
remove all references to anything larger than 1024x768 in any and all
Modes lines within the Display subsections.  Once you've done that, save
/etc/X11/XF86Config and restart X; the highest resolution available will
be 1024x768 which is what you probably want.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Pete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux network problem?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:26:23 +0800

Dear All:
We got some problem about the network configuration in Redhat Linux!
Our Linux server had been set on Capital and everyone connect and login
smoothly in local, but while users in other city could not login if they are
first login user. However, they have to wait someone login in Capital then
they would login later.
That should be something wrong in the network configuration of Linux, but
we still could not find it out.
Please advise something about it and thanks a lot!

Pete

------------------------------

From: Mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mpg123 skips when samba working
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:22:34 GMT

Hi all,

I have a rather annoying & hopefully easy problem to fix.

Machine A (64MB Celeron300A) runs as an mp3 jukebox (mms &
mpg123-0.59q-6) & a samba server (2.0.7-20000425). It's a rather old
redhat distro with glibc 2.1.1 & a home made 2.2.16 kernel. This machine
has a lame $10(AU) no-name soundcard which i believe may be the problem.

My problem is whenever I access large files from machine B (win2k) via
samba the mp3's annoyingly slow down and skip on directory access &
file retrieval.

I've tried playing with priorities & giving mpg123 a bigger buffer but
it just seems that when the smb work is being done the mp3 playing
suffers.

Could this be because of the cheap card? Maybe some on-card buffering or
something?

I'd prefer to have some clue what is going on before I invest in another
card which may not even be the problem. I'm guessing there are a lot of
people who would have a similiar setup to mine...

Ideas/Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Mat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New Redhat install issues??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:29:28 GMT

New Redhat install issues??

I am setting on a new computer with on 20GB hard drive. I used the
first 10GB for windows ME and now I am trying to use the other 10GB for
redhat 7.0.

I install redhat and I dont get any errors but after reboot the
computer. the computer goes right into windowsME.  If I use the book
disk that linux loads fine???  why is LILO not loading off the MBR??

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Nick Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slackware.com down for a week?
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:47:04 -0500

Does anyone know what happened to slackware.com? It has been down for over a
week! This really worries me, as a very appreciative slackware user.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Redhat install issues??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:51:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> New Redhat install issues??
>
> I am setting on a new computer with on 20GB hard drive. I used the
> first 10GB for windows ME and now I am trying to use the other 10GB for
> redhat 7.0.
>
> I install redhat and I dont get any errors but after reboot the
> computer. the computer goes right into windowsME.  If I use the book
> disk that linux loads fine???  why is LILO not loading off the MBR??

Because there is no /boot or /root partition below the 1024th cylinder
of the drive. On my 9.1 GB drive it is somewhere around 8 GB.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.973% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Jawahir Koul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motherboard Compatibility ==== ???????
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:54:25 -0800

I am planning to buy one of those MB which have sound and video and modem
on board like PC Chips 598LMR AT/ATX board or Amptron PM599. Are they
compatible
with Linux Red Hat 6 or linux Red Hat 7. Where can I find the list of MBs
which are compatible?
I would appreciate help.

Thanks,

JK

------------------------------

From: "blix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: stopping X from starting on bootup
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:57:49 GMT

HI,

When I first installed RH7.0 and KDE it asked if I wanted to boot into X.
I said yes. But now I'd like to change that so I boot into the console.
If someone would be so kind as to quickly post a solution, you will feel
good about yourself by doing a good deed. :)

blix

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.17 build errors
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:53:09 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Dr Teeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:05:59 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I.e., why does he ignore an error mesage telling him precisely what is
>>wrong!

> Because it didn't. He probably looked for a package 'as*', but only an
> experienced user (?) like yourself could tell him that it is probably
> in a package called bin86.

The package it is in is not relevant.  I have no certain idea what the
redhat package name is.  All he has to know is that he needs as86, as
the error message tells him.

After that he can look up the package it's in.  I'd have done it if I
were interested.  That's a trivial detail.

> Just relax and remember what it was like for you when you first
> started with computing!

I didn't start. I just did it. But I certainly read the error messages
and took action to remedy the defect they announced or I'd never have got
anywhere. I can't think of a clearer error message than the one initially
shown in this discussion. Are you telling me that people don't extract
semantics from english sentences? Instead they just treat them as
triggers for reflex actions? And that this guy didn't have a reflex set
up for that message?

In that case we can all cease writing and take up grunting.

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stopping X from starting on bootup
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:21:50 GMT

In article <Nyw46.116279$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "blix"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HI,
>
> When I first installed RH7.0 and KDE it asked if I wanted to boot into
> X. I said yes. But now I'd like to change that so I boot into the
> console. If someone would be so kind as to quickly post a solution, you
> will feel good about yourself by doing a good deed. :)
>
> blix

Edit /etc/inittab and change your runlevel to '3', or rerun
Xconfigurator.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 02:13:51 GMT

And that's why one needs something to drown out the @%@$ in-flight movie...
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slackware.com down for a week?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:24:25 GMT

Nick Brown wrote:

> Does anyone know what happened to slackware.com? It has been down for over a
> week! This really worries me, as a very appreciative slackware user.

Someone said they got Cracked on Christmas day. But that is hear say.

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:26:52 GMT

blix wrote:

> HI,
>
> When I first installed RH7.0 and KDE it asked if I wanted to boot into X.
> I said yes. But now I'd like to change that so I boot into the console.
> If someone would be so kind as to quickly post a solution, you will feel
> good about yourself by doing a good deed. :)
>
> blix

Edit /etc/inittab and change the 5 to a 3 in the line below.

id:5:initdefault:

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo with new kernel don't work
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:28:38 GMT

In article <92tfpi$i6u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "alex k"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello.
>
> i installed slackware7.1 which has the 2.2.16 kernel. and lilo in MBR,
> which worked ok.
>
> but after i make a new kernel (2.2.18) i can't run lilo anymore. it
> complains something about cyl 1438>1024 i think. i tried installing the
> new 21.6.1 lilo, but it won't build. i get 4 errors, same with 21.5.
>
> funny, what does that have to do with which kernel i use? why did it
> work ok with 2.2.16??

I'm not sure this will help, but make a symolic link from / to the new
kernel, like /vmlinuz-new and point lilo to it.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "steven tam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help for exporting the mysql database
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:25:54 +0800

How can export the MySQL database in the csv format?

--

Yours,
    Tam Hon Kit Steven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:32:53 GMT

Roger Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:29:58 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Uh, picture quality?

> I'm perfectly happy with the excellent quality of Beta and LaserDisk,
> and VHS, while not great, is acceptable. I see no reason for yet
> another video format, and as I said the idea of sitting in front of
> a computer to watch movies seems ludicrous in the extreme. Then
> again, whatever floats your boat.

A) The most comfortable chair in my apartment is in front of my computer

B) The image quality of VHS isn't even comparable to DVD.  The DPI of my
monitor is *much* nicer than the DPI of my TV.

C) I have TV-out for my All-in-Wonder (sort of works under Linux,
too)...  So just because I play a DVD on my computer doesn't mean I have
to sit in front of my computer to watch it.

Adam

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:46:47 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mpg123 skips when samba working

Mat wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a rather annoying & hopefully easy problem to fix.
>
> Machine A (64MB Celeron300A) runs as an mp3 jukebox (mms &
> mpg123-0.59q-6) & a samba server (2.0.7-20000425). It's a rather old
> redhat distro with glibc 2.1.1 & a home made 2.2.16 kernel. This machine
> has a lame $10(AU) no-name soundcard which i believe may be the problem.
>
> My problem is whenever I access large files from machine B (win2k) via
> samba the mp3's annoyingly slow down and skip on directory access &
> file retrieval.
>
> I've tried playing with priorities & giving mpg123 a bigger buffer but
> it just seems that when the smb work is being done the mp3 playing
> suffers.
>
> Could this be because of the cheap card? Maybe some on-card buffering or
> something?
>
> I'd prefer to have some clue what is going on before I invest in another
> card which may not even be the problem. I'm guessing there are a lot of
> people who would have a similiar setup to mine...
>
> Ideas/Comments appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Mat

have you tried optimizing the drive that the mp3s play off of? When u
are playing an mp3 while accessing a large file the driveheads have to
skip around the platters to send you the file but also try to keep up
with playing an mp3. If the drive is fast enough it shoudlnt be a
problem. U should try using hdparm to optimize your drive. FWIW, a
7200rpm drive makes a big difference over a 5400rpm drive, espcially
when capturing video so I'm sure when u need to access various parts of
a drive quickly the extra rotations would come in handy.

------------------------------

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:50:33 GMT

"Nick Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone know what happened to slackware.com? It has been down for over a
> week! This really worries me, as a very appreciative slackware user.

No, I don't either, but if you FTP to ftp.slackware.com, you'll end
up at ftp.freesoftware.com, which was an expansion of ftp.cdrom.com.
Hope that helps.

--
Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>