Linux-Misc Digest #702, Volume #19                Fri, 2 Apr 99 12:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Johan Kullstam)
  Network card problem,pls help. (charlie)
  Can't open display (STEVENS  TRAVIS)
  Re: Don't wanna run 'diald', so what else??? (Ronan Heffernan)
  Re: libstdc++.so.2.8 needed !! (Len Cuff)
  Re: module configuration ("Troy Wolf")
  Re: Don't wanna run 'diald', so what else??? ("Thomas Horan")
  Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Disk partition question ("Jürgen Exner")
  Must I have a Mail Transfer Agent? (sam)
  Re: Can't access floppy drive (garv)
  High resolution printing under Linux. (Mario Miyojim)
  Re: Multiple modem (Walter Strong)
  SCSI Controller Probe Order??? (Jerry Gardner)
  Re: bz2 compression (Mircea)
  Re: Can I read a Mac disk? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Is there a utility to image-copy a Linux disk? ("Warren Odom")
  Re: Winframe Client on Linux - Anybody ? (Mircea)
  Re: Activating Changes to /etc/services (Brian McCauley)
  Re: devices under 2.2.4 with Redhat (Dramen Mendra)
  How use a favorite X tool from other login? (Charles Packer)

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: 02 Apr 1999 08:14:51 -0500

Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It's a mixed blessing. Count the number of times there are questions
> on this group from someone who has bought or downloaded Redhat, and
> doesn't know how to partition a disk.

is this a redhat problem or a generic linux problem?  if debian,
slackware &c were as popular i am sure we'd hear the same questions
about them.

> Or even that they can't run Linux under Windows! A recent question
> posted was "Where's the setup.exe for Linux".
                                        ^^^^^^
notice this says linux and not redhat.

so they are clueless.  we all were at one point.

> However if these people *can* learn, then they become an asset to
> the Linux community, and to the non-Microsoft world.

yes.

> Redhat does put *barriers* to understanding, by making things look
> more GUI, and hiding the nuts and bolts. Again this is both good
> and bad.

whatever.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network card problem,pls help.
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:31:25 +0800

  My network card can not work, and found some error in /var/log/dmesg

Linux version 2.1.98 (root@ryo) (gcc version 2.7.2.1) #3 SMP Fri Apr 2
17:18:43 HKT 1999
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Calibrating delay loop... 53.25 BogoMIPS
Memory: 79124k/81920k available (1052k kernel code, 400k reserved, 1292k
data, 52k init)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039 for Linux 2.1
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.16 for Linux NET3.038.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.037
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.

Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
CPU0: Intel Pentium 75+ stepping 0b
SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfb910
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware.
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Serial driver version 4.25 with enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 09, VID=1039,
DID=0601
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
hda: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ATAPI 4X CDROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 2.12
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is an 8272A
ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 11, function 0
ncr53c8xx: 53c810 detected
ncr53c810-0: rev=0x01, base=0xf0801000, io_port=0x6000, irq=9
ncr53c810-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
ncr53c810-0: restart (scsi reset).
scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - revision 2.5f
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL SE4.3S   Rev: PJ0A
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: MAVERICK 540S     Rev: 0905
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL540S      Rev: 1Q08
Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 3 SCSI disks total.
ncr53c810-0-<4,0>: FAST-5 SCSI 5.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 8)
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8418816 [4110 MB] [4.1
GB]
ncr53c810-0-<5,0>: FAST-5 SCSI 5.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 8)
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1057758 [516 MB] [0.5
GB]
ncr53c810-0-<6,0>: FAST-5 SCSI 5.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 8)
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1065235 [520 MB] [0.5
GB]
PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of
California
PPP line discipline registered.
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0x6100, ***INVALID CHECKSUM
00dc***  00:10:4b:14:50:bc, IRQ 12
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
3c59x.c:v0.47H 12/4/97 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 > sda3 sda4
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2
 sdc: sdc1
Freeing unused kernel memory: 52k freed
Adding Swap: 16380k swap-space (priority -1)

many thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:21:15 -0700
From: STEVENS  TRAVIS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't open display

Alot of my problems evolve around one error message : "can't open
display".  I'm not exactly sure what this means, and none of my books
really exlain it either.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Trav

------------------------------

From: Ronan Heffernan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Don't wanna run 'diald', so what else???
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:41:49 -0500

Seach for "connectd" on Freshmeat or some other software index site.  It is
a server that brings a PPP connection up and down in response to remote
commands from  "WConnect" (Win32) or "connect" (linux command-line) or
XConnect (X11).  I use this to coordinate between my 4 computers.  One
great feature is that you do not explicitly control the status of the PPP
connection.  You express/release your interest in the connection.  As soon
as the number of interested users hits zero, connectd closes the
connection.  You do not have to shout over your cubicle wall, "Anybody need
the link up?"

------------------------------

From: Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: libstdc++.so.2.8 needed !!
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:15:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am trying to upgrade xosview to work with the 2.2.3 kernel. I have the
>> rpm but I need this library file to install it. Does anyone know where I
>
>libcstdc++-2.8 comes with the main redhat-5.2 dist.
I've got a copy of that but how would I extract just that library ?
(I'm running SuSE 6)
Cheers,
        Len

------------------------------

From: "Troy Wolf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: module configuration
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:16:09 -0600

Well, I solved my problem by reading the Documentation/Changes file, then
followed the Redhat steps for upgrading to 2.2 found on
http://www.linuxhq.com  This site is fantastic.

From: "Thomas Horan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:25:49 +0100

You want diald with dialmon - http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk

you can do anything with it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:37:08 +0200

Hi Morely

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Morely Dotes wrote:

[..]
> Actually, Ralf, Netscape did go open-source about 9 months or a year ago,
> though I no longer know where to look for the sources.

Yes an No. There is a open source Version called mozilla. But it hasn't
the full functionality and it needs motif to compile. And I don't have
motif.

> Barring that, however, Lynx will certainly let you navigate, even if you do
> have to download the graphics manually.

I know lynx, but the problems is that I definitly need a graphical
browser. That was because I was asking for a graphical Browser.

Bye

Ralf
Ralf Orlowski                           voice: +49-2241-405927
Im Kirchtal 88                          fax:   +49-2241-405953
53844 Troisdorf                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP 5.0 Key available at www.trustcenter.de

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disk partition question
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:56:38 -0800

Eric Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am running a dual boot with Windows 98 and Linux on the same drive. I
> have 3 separate partitions - one for DOS, one for Linux, and an empty
> one. In DOS, drive C: is for DOS, but how can I figure out which DOS
> drive Linux is on -- either drive D: or drive E: ?

It's neither D: nor E: because DOS will not assign drive letters to non-FAT
partitions.

Use "mount" (without arguments) to find out which partition is mounted as
linux root.
Then you know if this is the second (or third or fourth) primary partition
or the first (or second) logical partition.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Must I have a Mail Transfer Agent?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:57:16 -0500

I have been using Netscape as a mailer program but I am not very
satisfied with it.  So, I have looked other programs, exmh, for example,
which I like.  However it is not clear from everything I've read, how to
tell the program how to dial my ISP etc.  Further, it's not clear
whether I need to install something like Qmail or sendmail.  My mail use
is usually limited to a handful of messages per day, normally between 5
and 10.  Is there a HOWTO or other document that can tell me how to set
up a mailer from scratch?  BTW, I am using Redhat 5.2 and Linux 2.1
kernel.
I'd appreciate any useful advice.

sam

------------------------------

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't access floppy drive
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:56:29 -0800

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I installed Red Hat 5.2 last weekend, and I've been trying to access the
> floppy drive on my computer ever since with no luck.  When I attempt to
> format a disk with the command 'fdformat /dev/fd0', I get the "Operation
>

> BTW, my /etc/fstab file contains /dev/fd0 with a mount point of
> /mnt/floppy (which does already exist), and the drive is not

Edit your fstab (add one dev) /dev/fd0   /mnt/vfat    vfat
create the /mnt/vfat dir and away you go.

If you  add  a  user,noauto,exec  you don't have to be root to mount. This
works for cdrom also.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:50:44 -0700
From: Mario Miyojim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: High resolution printing under Linux.

I am familiar with the ghostscript capabilities to
address most printers.
We know that Aladdin developers provide a driver
named 'uniprint' that could define high resolutions
on Epson inkjet printers utilizing their weaving
and pixel resolution of 720x1440.
The RedHat distribution allows us to set up a
"Epson Stylus Color" option with resolutions of
360x360.
However, it seems that our resolution limitation
is not on the printer driver, but in the file
formats accepted by ghostscript: postscript and
pdf.
When I use 'xv' to convert a tiff file to
postscript, it cannot give me a resolution higher
than 72x72 ppi. Would it be any different if
one uses 'nenscript' to generate the file? Or
is it a limitation of the postscript language?
I am planning to do some research about this in
the future. If anyone has more information about
these issues, it might save me research efforts.

Thank you

Mario Miyojim
Digitran, Inc.
North Logan, UT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Multiple modem
Date: 2 Apr 1999 15:57:37 GMT

Walter Strong ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: You can specify the device like this:

: /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS3 38400 file /etc/ppp/options2

: where the work of /dev... is obvious and /etc...options2 is a
: secondary file that you might want the other modem to use instead
: of the primary.  If you want both modems to just use the default
: options, leave out everything after "38400".  The man pages for
: pppd and chat are alright, but some of the examples they give
: didn't work straightaway (not for me anyway).

Sorry for the second post but I just realized that you had asked
about chat as well.  The instructions for the chat call would be
 in your options or options2 or whatever file.  check out your
current /etc/ppp/options file for details, or let me know if you
don't have one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Gardner)
Subject: SCSI Controller Probe Order???
Date: 1 Apr 1999 18:24:12 GMT

Anyone know how to control the SCSI controller probe order in the
2.2.x kernels?

I have a system with two SCSI controllers, an Adaptec 2940UW and an
Adaptec 1542B. Unfortunately, the kernel probes the 1542B first and
assigns the ZIP drive attached to it as sda. I want the 2940UW probed
first so that the system's boot drive is assigned to sda.

Any hints? TIA.

--
Jerry Gardner             | Linux: Reboots are for hardware upgrades.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | MS Windows: Reboots are a daily occurance.

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bz2 compression
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:19:32 -0500

Use bzip2. It is part of any standard distribution. To see the options,
man bzip2.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Can I read a Mac disk?
Date: 1 Apr 1999 20:34:55 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Charon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>       I have Red Hat 5.1, is it possible to mount a Macintosh disk?  Is so,
> how?

You need one of three things:

1) An HFS driver for the 2.0.x kernel series.  You can find this at
   http://www-sccm.Stanford.EDU/~hargrove/HFS/.
2) Kernel 2.2.x.  This includes an HFS driver standard (it might be
   considered "experimental," though; I don't recall).
3) The hfsutils package, available with many distributions or from
   http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/. This won't let you actually
   MOUNT a Mac disk, but it will let you access it and copy files to/from
   it.

None of these solutions will do anything if it's a 400kB or 800kB floppy;
these use a low-level format that's unreadable by the floppy controller
chip on standard PCs.  Any of these solutions will work for a 1.44MB
floppy, Zip disk, CD-ROM, or other removable media (I think; I've not
tried hfsutils on some of these).

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Warren Odom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a utility to image-copy a Linux disk?
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:02:33 -0600

Cameron, due to hitting the wrong option in my software, I accidentally sent
the following to you via Email instead of posting it to the newsgroup.
Hopefully this copy will get to the newsgroup thread.

> Warren wrote:
> > Or it wouldn't even have to be a block-for-block
> >image
> >>copy, as long as the same software could restore it to the original
disk,
> >in
> >>the original format, on demand.
>
> And that is the key.  Warren doesn't need a drive image backup,
> or even a partition image backup.  He just wants to be able to
> restore the contents of his file systems.  Obviously,
> this guy is smart enough to join the Linux Community.

Well, thanks for the compliment.  Also thanks for the highly detailed
description—you are obviously smart enough to be giving advice on the Linux
newsgroups to relative beginners.

Your proposed solution sounds interesting (and I will save the info), but
requires a little more manual labor than I was hoping for (on the restore
side).  The original intent was for this to be a simple as possible, partly
because we’re new to Linux, partly because this is a web server that needs
to be rescued expeditiously if it should crash, and partly because the
person who originally installed it will probably not be available to figure
out how the partition(s) and filesystems were and should be arranged.  I’d
like to have a “one-step” solution, where you can boot up a floppy
containing the recovery software, and it partitions a fresh disk and
restores not only the contents of the filesystems, but the filesystems
themselves.

The commercial software QuickStart Data Rescue has come highly recommended
to me, and isn’t very expensive, but it’s not clear at this point whether it
can save to / restore from disk, instead of tape.  I might check out the
Power Quest products too.

Cameron, I hope this doesn’t make me less smart in your eyes!

          -- Warren

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winframe Client on Linux - Anybody ?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:11:02 -0500

I bet you downloaded it via the Windows Netscape! It loves to corrupt
the names of downloaded files, ie replacing all the dots, except for the
last one, by underscores. Your filename should be: linux.tar.z (not
linux_tar.z). Rename it accordingly.
You can extract it with:
tar zxf linux.tar.z
You'll get a new directory called "linux", cd linux, and run the
installation script:
hinst
It will put the ICA client (not ISA client :) in /usr/lib/ICAClient. Go
there (cd /usr/lib/ICAClient) and run the setup script: setupwfc. There.
Works great.

MST

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Activating Changes to /etc/services
Date: 02 Apr 1999 17:22:07 +0100

"Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     Does anyone know an easy way to activate changes made to port
> settings in /etc/services WITHOUT having to re-boot the system?  (or do
> changes to this file self-activate without you having to do anything
> special in the first place?)

For services managed through inetd killing and restarting inetd should
suffice.  It may be sufficient to kill -HUP but I doubt it.  For
services with their own deamons kill and restart the daemon in
question.

BTW, why are you editing /etc/services?

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: Dramen Mendra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: devices under 2.2.4 with Redhat
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 07:47:38 -0500

Andy Johnson wrote:

> "Edward A. Baron" wrote:
>
> > I upgraded from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.4 in the hopes of getting
> > sound to work.
> >
> > Now I have 3 problems:
> >
> > I've lost my printer. From the control panel I go
> > and try to set up my printer and get
> > "/dev/lp[0-2] not found
> > could indicate a hardware problem"
> >
> > an ls on it says it is a character special file.
> >
> > do I need to insmod paraport at some point
> > during boot up?
> >
> > I configured the kernel with paraport paraport_pc and paraprot_probe
> > as modules?
> >

> I think some people have problems when paraport support is compiled as
> modules.  I know when I was testing 2.2.0pre5 I never could get my
> parallel port Zip drive to work with a modularized parallel port.
> Eventually, I had to get back to Real Work(tm), but I've heard several
> other people complain about similar problems w/printers and modularized
> parallel support.

put this in /etc/conf.modules

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7,auto

if that doesn't work, then read parport.txt in the kernel documentation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Packer)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: How use a favorite X tool from other login?
Date: 2 Apr 1999 13:01:27 GMT

My preferred text editor is xedit. It looks for customizations
in file Xedit in the user's home directory. At the office
I'm frequently called upon to sit down at co-workers'
terminals and examine their files. But when I run xedit
from their logins, it doesn't know anything about my home
Xedit file. Is there a command line option to have it pick
up my own Xedit file? The documentation available to me is
sparse. If not, what's the solution?

http://www.clark.net/pub/whatnews/whatnews.html