From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Menu's don't work in some apps?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:14:56 -0400

> Are you implying that their behavior used to be different?
>
> It appears that the standard behavior is supposed to be
> something like "click and hold, move mouse, release when
> on selected choice".  (And what's the best way to
> describe *that*?!)

    No, sorry for the confusion.  I understand that most pull-down
menus operate like this... I was accustomed to X before I ever had the
chance to see MS-Windows <smile>.   What I am saying is that the menu
selection is not activating when you release the mouse over it,
either... I have tried this both under the classic X-style and well as
the MS-Windows "click, select, and click again" style.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Denoire)
Subject: What is "System.map"?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:19:27 GMT

Would anyone care explaining to me what the file "System.map" is for?

After installing a new Kernel version 2.2.5 I got some messages saying
that the map file could not be found, so I quickly understood that I
had to copy the corresponding System.map file of the new kernel to
/boot (that is the place  SuSE 6.0 keeps it). Well, I can switch
kernels using lilo, but I did not know that before switching kernels
one has to manually switch any System.map file too!

So I would like to know more about a file with such an important name
that was not even mentioned in the SuSE handbook, in order to learn
how to deal with it.

Thanks.
================

------------------------------

From: idfx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:19:46 -0400

   You might want to take a look at DragonLinux (http://www.dragonlinux.nu) to
test whether it's worth it to you to use Linux.  DragonLinux is a good test
because it allows you to install Linux in DOS, creating a pseudo-root in it's
own directory, and it doesn't muck with the rest of your drive.  You take a
little performance hit, because it has to talk thru USMSDOS, but it's probly the
easiest way to install.

yrs,
in_sanity,

idfx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Anthony)
Date: 20 Jun 1999 01:20:00 GMT

"Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Are you implying that their behavior used to be different?
>>
>> It appears that the standard behavior is supposed to be
>> something like "click and hold, move mouse, release when
>> on selected choice".  (And what's the best way to
>> describe *that*?!)

>    No, sorry for the confusion.  I understand that most pull-down
>menus operate like this... I was accustomed to X before I ever had the
>chance to see MS-Windows <smile>.   What I am saying is that the menu
>selection is not activating when you release the mouse over it,
>either... I have tried this both under the classic X-style and well as
>the MS-Windows "click, select, and click again" style.

>Steve

What window manager are you using?  If you are using KDE with kwm, I have
noticed that when you have "Apply fonts and colours to non-kde apps"
selected in Settings->Desktop->Style, then some programs (like xfig)
lose menu access exactly the way you describe.  Try turning that option off.

If you are using some other WM, then sorry, I have no idea what the
problem is :)

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: Re: Off-line news reader
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 01:01:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:Real simple question - can anybody reccomend a good _off-line_
:news reader?

I use leafnode to download the newsgroups I want; and then use slrn
offline, with my own machine as the news server.  Setting up was a fairly
straightforward job as I recall.

Ian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Bash script question: how to modify PATH?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 01:01:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ding-Jung Han wrote:
>I wrote a simple script to switch between two c compilers (egcs and
>pgcc); this involves changing a soft link /lib/cpp to the correct cpp
>program and set the correct path so that the version desired is
>guaranteed to be found out first.

If you installed and run egcs as egcs and pgcc and pgcc they ought
to pick the right version up themself.

>My only question is that, every time I execute the script the PATH
>variable in the current shell is not modified at all! I guess the EXPORT
>only modifies PATH in the child shell? Is there anything I missed?
Yes.
[...]

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Ian Ollmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: open systems?!? Re: Why does Apple not cooperate with Be?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:17:35 -0700

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Lawrence D=B9Oliveiro wrote:

> Actually, four purposes [for an OS] spring to mind:
> * To abstract away from hardware specifics, allowing the same upper-layer
> code to run on a wide variety of hardware configurations.
> * To arbitrate access to shared resources (memory, disk space, network
> bandwidth, comm ports, screen real estate, whatever).
> * To define common communication mechanisms (data interchange formats for
> text, graphics and the like).
> * To minimize reinvention of code for common application tasks.
>=20
> The third one is particularly characteristic of the difference between
> single-user and multi-user operating systems. Multi-user systems tend to
> be designed on the assumption that multiple processes are sharing the
> system on sufferance; each process would much rather have the whole syste=
> to itself, so it must be restrained from having its wish. Thus, processes
> are typically walled-off from each other.
>=20
> In a single-user system, on the other hand, the assumption is that all th=
> processes currently running are serving the needs of a single user. Thus,
> you need mechanisms to allow them to cooperate, rather than compete.
> Sophisticated data sharing is a crucial component of this. That's why
> MacOS has AppleEvents and AppleScript, and a common QuickDraw picture
> format, and Internet Config as a repository for translating things to and
> from the outside world, and UNIX-type systems typically have nothing like
> any of these.

You have a point, but I think that some historical accuracy is in order
here. I doubt that Apple really designed in a cooperative mutlitasking
environment in preference to a preemptive one. They were forced into it
because they couldn't add preemptive multitasking with the API that the
MacOS presented. If you recall, until OS 6, there was no multitasking in
the MacOS at all! If you wanted to copy and paste between programs, you
copy, quit the program (dont forget to save!) then start the other
program, and paste. What? Your paste came in as text rather than a PICT?
Quit, (did you remember to save or rather not to save?) start the other
app (where did I put that file anyway?) figure out how to copy in the
right data, quit start the other app again, and paste. Whew, all done!

I need a coffee break.

Then came the MultiFinder. What a joy that was. Problem was that with a
few rare exceptions the MacOS is not now nor never has been reentrant. So
unless Apple wanted to rewrite the whole darn thing and even worse rewrite
to an API laden with multithreaded uglies like Quickdraw globals and a
library of legacy programs that like to raid its internal data structures
without using any thread safe programming techniques, they HAD to come up
with cooperative multitasking. They are finally getting around to adding
reentrant OS support with Cop^H^H, Rhap^H^H^H^H, Carbon now, and it has
taken quite a bit of time and really STILL isnt done. Guess what? Carbon
wont support legacy apps either.

I think Apple knew that preemptive mutltithreading was the way to go years
ago, even on a single user OS. They just couldnt do it, so came up with
this cooperative multithreading thing instead.=20

The reason Unix does not have other cooperative and highly integrated
resources is that it is not a proprietary OS, so there is no one to tell
you do it this way or else we will break your code as soon as we can.
Besides, Unix does have common file types. They are quite often really
simple -- user editable ASCII files that you can use grep or awk or any of
a number of handy little tools on.

Also Apple sure doesn't do memory allocation in a cooperative sense. Each
program gets its own little walled off memory partition. You can ask for
temporary blocks outside of your heap, but you are usually discouraged
from using them.

=09=09=09=09Ian Ollmann

____

   Dr. Ian R. Ollmann          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
   California Institute of Technology=09
____                      =20

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: ATAPI ZIP disk file corruption
Date: 20 Jun 1999 02:02:46 GMT

I am getting file corruption on my new ZIP drive (100MB internal ATAPI).
No error to the process writing the file, but syslog gets:
  ide-floppy: hdd: I/O error, pc=2a, key=4, asc=47, ascq=0
  end_request: I/O error, dev 16:41, sector <some_number>

The resulting file on disk has a block (512 bytes) all zeros
or maybe containing the data which was on the sector before.

This seems to happen a lot more with an EXT2 filesystem on the ZIP. With
a MSDOS FAT filesystem, it happens less frequently, but still often
enough that the drive isn't reliable.  It also seems to happen more if
I copy files from an NFS mount point onto the local ZIP drive, but I
can't explain why that might be. It happens both when mounted, and with
mtools access.

I'm using Linux 2.0.35.
Do I have a bad drive? Does anyone have an ATAPI ZIP which works
reliably?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: lpr:connection refused
Date: 20 Jun 1999 01:57:48 GMT

>> Regarding the original post: Make sure lpd is running (as root),
>> and netstat -an shows a LISTENING "Unix domain socket" at /dev/printer.
>
>I have make a netstat -an and no LISTENING "Unix domain socket" at /dev/printer
>war found.
>
>After Update from RH5.2 to RH6.0 printing has work. But after a reboot the
>/dev/printer goes lost.
>The maschine ware reboot aigain, the lpd ware stop and start, but it doesn't want
>to work?
>
>What can I do?

Forget /dev/printer for now. lpd creates it when it starts up, and removes
it when it stops. So work on lpd. Does "ps ax" show it running? If not,
type: "lpd" as root and check ps again.  Not running? Check your system
log file (something like /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog) - lpd
should log a message why it failed to start.
Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Indicatrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Umlaut garbled in email
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 01:15:24 GMT

Hi,

I need to solve an email related problem with Linux. Some of my email
comes from Western Europe and contains special characters such as
umlauts on a, o, u. When I receive the messages in Windows they appear
as they should. However, when I retrieve the email in Linux they look
like crap.

I have checked that the sender has the character set set to iso-8859-1
and set mime and Printed Quotable. Also in Mutt I have set
charset="iso-8859-1", allow8bit and use_8bitmime. When I switch to
German (LANG=de), Mutt correctly displays its interface in German,
including umlauts.

Mutt shows some details of the message before sending... size and bits.
My email is being sent as 7 bit. However, the .muttrc has 8 bit set so
that the 8th bit will not get stripped off. Perhaps it does not see any
characters that require the 8th bit in the message, so is it sending it
as 7 bit?

What is the solution to make the characters appear as they should?

I am certain that the problem is with my Linux configuration, since
Windows shows it correctly and the senders (more than one source) appear
to be set up properly.

I will attach an example of garbled text, then a header from a received
message:

==============================

Sie stimmen sicher mit =FCberein, da=DF der Einkauf bei Aldi nicht zu
den gehobenen Lebensgen=FCssen z=E4hlt. Man stolpert in diesen Billig-
warenketten - im Dunst eines graublauen Schleiers - zwischen unaus-
gepackter Ware, herumliegenden Kartons, eingeschwei=DFtem Fleischk=E4se,
in Plastik geh=FCllten =C4pfeln und Champagner Veuve Monsigny brut =

herum. Dessen ungeachtet oder vielleicht auch gerade deswegen =

schwimmt Aldi - in =D6sterreich unter Hofer bekannt - seit einiger =

===============================

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:19:18
From: Global Message Exchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Alle Mitglieder von GMX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GMX-Info 09/99

Stephen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: What is "System.map"?
Date: 19 Jun 1999 22:00:07 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, R. Denoire wrote:
> Would anyone care explaining to me what the file "System.map" is for?
>
> After installing a new Kernel version 2.2.5 I got some messages saying
> that the map file could not be found, so I quickly understood that I
> had to copy the corresponding System.map file of the new kernel to
> /boot (that is the place  SuSE 6.0 keeps it). Well, I can switch
> kernels using lilo, but I did not know that before switching kernels
> one has to manually switch any System.map file too!

As far as I know, System.map IS NOT A CRITICAL FILE.  Despite the
error messages, your system should run fine.

It's created when compiling the kernel.  It is a sort of table of
contents for the kernel executable, and is used for turning the
kernel's internal addresses into human-readable names of functions
(in the source code).

The klogd(8) daemon and the ps(1) utility both hunt for it because
sometimes they want to perform that translation.  See their man
pages for the algorithms each uses to find the System.map file.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Frederic L. W. Meunier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & others...
Date: 20 Jun 1999 00:50:58 GMT

Hi! my name is Fernando and this is just some thoughts  i had since
starting using Linux.( sorry for my inglish, it's been a long time since I
don't use it)
---
Hehehe, what a coincidence. Another Brazilian from Urbi Network. I agree.
Linux is too powerful but lacks some essential programs needed by some users.
But IMHO Linux isn't an OS to be used by any person. The reason why I use Linux
is that it's stable (I love high uptimes), the sources are available for any
person and I like challenges. Today I see s lot of people using Linux just to
say that: I USE LINUX. Bah, I simply ignore these guys. I don't have any
Microsoft software installed here mainly because I found an equivalent for
Linux.
And sorry my bad english too guys, but try to write in Portuguese!

|Frederic L. W. Meunier running Linux marseille 2.2.9 | uptime!*@IRC  |
|Contact: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|Tel: +55-21-620-7173 (Brazil) Site: http://olympiquedemarseille.org/ |
|Frames, Javascript, mail with HTML, Spam and the idiot? /dev/null    |
|This tagline is for the idiot who say WHAT?                          |

------------------------------

From: "testtest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SANE + USB (Linux Kernels 2.3+)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scanners
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:29:12 GMT

When will Linux support USB scanners such as the UMAX Astra 1220u?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert McConnell)
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:  Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:26:29 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:23:17 -0600, Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>         Sure it is. You entrust your data to those apps.
>>         Just because it's a 'feature not a bug' doesn't
>>         make it excusable.
>
>Oh, come on....If MS advertises that they don't support Windows on
>DR-DOS, they can't be held responsible.  The AARD code appears to me to
>be a deliberate attempt to illegally push Digital Research out of the
>DOS market and nothing more.
>
>Brad Silverman's response to Wendy Rohm's question as to why the code
>was disabled was simply "to keep people like you from asking people like
>me questions like that."  Nothing to do with supportability or
>anything....
>
>Jim

Caldera is now in court trying to prove this to be fact. If they do,
it will be most interesting to see what recompense they get from
Microsoft.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:09:51 +0000

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:22:10 +1200, "Stuart Fox"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> :> This would be easy to program, but would never work, because
> :> Unix users just *don't* set up their software to
> :> automatically execute e-mail attachments.
>
> Wow, this was a beautiful piece of FUD I missed.
>
> :Neither do MS apps.  Outlook prompts to run or save when you double click on
> :it.
>
> Much of the blame for the current worm/virus attacks can be blamed on
> Windows yet at least half has to be put on the user. My copy of OE
> (with Win2k Beta3) requires me to do the following:
>
> -Get e-mail with a *.exe file attached
> -Open attached exe after getting a warning that it may contain viruses
> and cause harm to my system
>
> If you choose to ignore warnings and open any file you get sent you're
> asking for it no matter what OS you use.

What? Windows users are supposed to think? I was told that Windows
users were too busy being productive to think. Wasn't that the whole
point of Windows?

--
Colin R. Day    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     alt.atheist #1500

What Linux and atheism have in common, that which their
advocates most energetically embrace and their detractors
most vociferously vilify, is that they both encourage
an independent view of the world.