Linux-Misc Digest #711, Volume #19                Fri, 2 Apr 99 22:13:12 EST

Contents:
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (wizard)
  Re: HELP: My users have problems logging on... (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Adding a new disk (Walter Strong)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Harry)
  Re: Task - detach and let it run in the background (Michael Powe)
  Re: OFF-TOPIC: UserFriendly is down! (Michael Powe)
  Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network? (Eugene
VonNiederhausern)
  hd powerdown in linux ("Jens Axelsen")
  Re: logitech Trackman Marble (Rod Smith)
  How do I unlock my modem? ("Paul Davies")
  Re: Idea: Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Mike Graham)
  Activating Changes to /etc/services ("Steve D. Perkins")
  How do I monitor my modem ("Stephen Thomas")
  Re: Caps Lock and Control Key (Mike Werner)
  Re: HELP, testing file on CDROM w/o copying to HD (Wolf)
  Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software! (Mark S. Bilk)
  Re: Task - detach and let it run in the background (Brian Moore)
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Hal Duston)

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:36:21 -0500

Enkidu wrote:

> wizard wrote:
> >
> > On top of adding value the strengthen the Linux code base by
> > setting things like RPM free.
> >
> RPM is a good package manger, but it is *not* essential. I've been
> running Linux for years without it.

Never said it was essential just stated that it was developed by
RedHat.   RPM is not perfect but very little of UNIX or LINUX is.    The
fact is that when used properly by developers, RPM is a very helpful in
supporting an installation.

> > The other key item that everyone overlooks is the large amount
> > of effort the people at RedHat, Suse and others put into driver
> > development. If that does add value I don't know what does.
> >
> This is a fiction. Redhat do *not* develop drivers.

What makes you think this.    If RedHat isn't developing drivers then
why did they hire the guy that wrote the aic7xxx drivers?    RedHat and
Suse have had a hand in developing X-servers for different cards.    And
then there is gnome which RedHat is involved in, this may not be a
driver but it is key to Linuxes future as it is a whole lot better than
KDE.

> > The simple fact is that the RedHat Cd gets a lot of people
> > involved in Linux that might not otherwise. This is truely a
> > good thing.
> >
> It's a mixed blessing. Count the number of times there are questions
> on this group from someone who has bought or downloaded Redhat, and
> doesn't know how to partition a disk. Or even that they can't run
> Linux under Windows! A recent question posted was "Where's the
> setup.exe for Linux".
>
> However if these people *can* learn, then they become an asset to
> the Linux community, and to the non-Microsoft world.
>
> Redhat does put *barriers* to understanding, by making things look
> more GUI, and hiding the nuts and bolts. Again this is both good
> and bad.

I agree that GUI can hide the "nuts & bolts" but for some users this is
required.    The technical user however is not constrained by anything
with Linux.    The neophyte however can get started relatively easy with
RedHat.    One should realize that just because someone is a beginner
with Linux they may or may not be technically competent.    I can't
begin to tell you how nice it was to discover that I can flip through 6
terminal screens plus X  on my Linux machine.    May sound simple to a
regular user of Linux but when first discovered it quickly becomes
apparent just how powerful a feature it is.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: HELP: My users have problems logging on...
Date: 3 Apr 1999 01:42:10 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> connecting, he gets a message "serial line is looped back". He only

It sounds to me like the modem has local echo turned on. This can
totally mess things up.
Send the command to turn off local echo in the init string to the
modem.
(ATE0).

>If the modem has a AT&W feature that works, you can use it to save the
>new settings.

I would much much rather use AT&F and then a specific required series of
commands, than to use AT&W and then ATZ That is far too prone to
breaking and for you to forgetting what exactly it was you set in the
modem memory.

>Otherwise, you must add an AT string to the /etc/inittab serial lines
>after the mgetty.  Do `man mgetty` for more info.

>Secondly,  you should be using mgetty (in /etc/inittab)and not getty to
>answer the calls.  `getty' does not work well with modems/serial lines.

Definitely Strongly Unconditionally Enthusiatically agree. Use mgetty if
you are not. Again, use mgetty if you are not. (and if you are, keep
using it.)

http://www.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Adding a new disk
Date: 3 Apr 1999 01:49:26 GMT

There's no problem adding a second harddrive.  There's a How-To that goes into
all the details (multidisk-HOWTO, or something like that).  You can find most
(all?) the HOW-TOs at www.linuxhq.com/info-index.html.

Trying to split /usr across multiple drives probably isn't the best advised
thing to do.  In fact, moving entire directories can always lead to problems.

To install the new harddrive, just drop it in and double check that it's
detected during the startup (linux can't work _that_ kind of magic).  If all is
fine there then linux should also indicate that it detected the new drive when
it goes through its initial startup routine.  If all is well there then your
drive is almost ready to use.  You'll still need to format, partition(optional)
and mount the beast.

Format and partitioning can be taken care of through cfdisk.  Try:

cfdisk /hd* (where hd* is the new drive.  If you missed it at start up type dmesg
to find out what it's called, probably hdb or something like that)

This will tell everything that linux knows about the physical drive and allow
you to format and partition it.  Just make sure that you're looking at the
correct drive before you format it.  Once it's you're done with cfdisk you
need to add a line to /etc/fstab indicating what kind of drive linux is to
expect, and what you want it mounted as.  Take a look at your current fstab
and mimic the settings for your fist drive with the appropriate changes
(assuming that your second drive is the same general kind as the first (ide,
 for example) here's a couple of lines from mine:

/dev/hda2       /        ext2        defaults   1   1
/dev/hdc2       /usr/local        ext2        defaults   1   1

hdc2 is a partition on my second drive that I mounted as /usr/local when I
installed.  You could call it whatever you want, "Oracle" for example.

Once you've done the fstab stuff, mount /name_of_mountpoint will give
you read/write access to that drive.

If you want to move directories, check out the How-to mentioned earlier.

Paul Davies ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I've been running RedHat 5.2. for a few months now and need to add a new
: hard disk so I can run more applications (e.g  Oracle which required 600MB).

: Does anyone know if this can be done in Linux?

: I guess I need to split the existing /usr directory across the old and the
: new disk. How do I do this?

: Can anyone give me a set of procedures I need to go through when adding the
: disk drive?

: Any help much appreciated!

: Paul

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:00:56 -0500

> Is it unimaginative to expect they might just, well, move
> cursor to start and end of line, respectively?

I think you've hit the nail on the head, but the answer is not
a technical or historical one. The answer is "polymorphism".
In programming, polymorphism means that different things can
behave in a consistent way (this is bound to start a religious
war over the meaning of this word, so could all the zealots
reply in a different thread? Thanks!). This means that, if you
highligh a character and press Del, the character is deleted.
If you highlight a file and press Del, the file is deleted. This
extends the consistency of the interface beyond just editing
text to handling other objects.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Task - detach and let it run in the background
Date: 01 Apr 1999 11:44:57 -0800

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC: UserFriendly is down!
Date: 01 Apr 1999 11:53:30 -0800

------------------------------

From: Eugene VonNiederhausern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:12:25 -0600

The URL is  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/  . Let me know what you think...

------------------------------

From: "Jens Axelsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hd powerdown in linux
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 04:06:39 +0200

Hi!

I ask because I have a server that sometimes run ftp server at local
netparties...and it usually is up and running the entire weekend, this makes
it very hot and powerconsuming. Therefore my question is:

How do I setup powerdown in Linux?

Kind regards
Jens

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: logitech Trackman Marble
Date: 1 Apr 1999 13:00:26 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Mitch Georgieff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Does anyone know if the logitech trackman marble will work with Redhat 5.2
> and 2.2.2 kernal? Is there a driver anywhere out there for it? I cant seem
> to make the existing drivers work. It works fine on my NT computer.

Yes, I'm using a Trackman Marble on my system (with kernel 2.2.3).  I'm
currently using it on a PS/2 mouse port, but I've also used it on a
serial port via the adapter that comes with it.  Some tips:

1) You need appropriate device driver support compiled into your kernel or
   as modules.  This would be either serial support or a PS/2 mouse
   driver.  This is probably available standard when you install Red Hat.

2) If you're using the mouse as a PS/2 device, check to be sure you've got
   an appropriate device file in /dev/.  Here's mine:
   crw-r--r--   1 root     root      10,   1 Mar 31 16:45 /dev/psaux

3) Chances are you want it working in X.  For that, you'll need to
   configure X to use the mouse.  You'll need to check your
   /etc/X11/XF86Config file for this (assuming you're using XFree86).
   Here's the relevant section from my XF86Config file:
   Section "Pointer"
       Protocol    "PS/2"
       Device      "/dev/psaux"
   Of course, if you're using the mouse as a serial mouse, these details
   will be different.  I don't recall the correct protocol, offhand, but
   the device would be /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1.
4) Sometimes the mouse device, whether it's serial or PS/2, is set up as
   a symbolic link from /dev/mouse to the actual device.  Therefore,
   /dev/mouse may be appropriate for the mouse device.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I unlock my modem?
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 23:05:45 +0100

My modem gets locked when I try to connect to the Net.

It then stays locked if I stry t reconnect. How do I manually unlock it?

Thanks

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 3 Apr 1999 02:07:46 GMT

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist...;)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] allegedly wrote:
[SNIP]

>Are you saying the the X windowing system is a worthless
>piece of software, because you can use linux with virtual consoles only?

YEAH! X is WORTHLESS for /exactly/ that reason! Heck, I even have
root-menus on my consoles! ;P

(BTW, I really do have root-menus on my consoles ;)

[SNIP]

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Graham)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 14:31:07 GMT

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 05:54:49 -0700, Paul Bary wrote:
>Gotta agree...Mandrake is terrific...all the advantages of RH 5.2 plus the
>lastest release version of KDE...I
>couldn't be more tickled....I got mine from CheapBytes...1.99 and off you
>go...

  What is the latest version of KDE?  When you look for
distribution-specific packages they tend to be relatively old.  For instance, I
think the latest RedHat RPMs of KDE are 1.1-3, whereas you can get 'generic'
KDE parts in 1.1-6 or so.

--
Mike Graham, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Caledon, Ontario, Canada (just NW of Toronto).

Raiser of animals.  Weldor of metals.  Driver of off-road vehicles.
Writer of FAQs.  Keeper of the faith, and all around okay guy.

<http://www.beeline.ca/personal/mike>

------------------------------

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Activating Changes to /etc/services
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:46:27 -0500

    Does anyone know an easy way to activate changes made to port
settings in /etc/services WITHOUT having to re-boot the system?  (or do
changes to this file self-activate without you having to do anything
special in the first place?)

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I monitor my modem
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 20:18:15 -0600

I am using diald to dial up a ppp account with my ISP. I would like to
monitor the modem connection rate, time connected, bytes sent, bytes
received, etc. Is there a utility to do this?

Thanks,
Steve

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Caps Lock and Control Key
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 21:09:47 -0500

It can also be done at the console.  Kind the keymap files, edit one
swapping the lines for control and cap lock, then load that file at boot
time.  man loadkeys for details.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolf)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: HELP, testing file on CDROM w/o copying to HD
Date: 2 Apr 1999 10:00:15 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Glenn T. Jayaputera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need to test a number of CDs that I suspect had some
>problem with it. To test its readability I have to copy
>the whole CD to a HD and wait for any I/O error.
>After that I have to delete those files copied and start
>the process again for different CD.
>
>What I would like to achive is to make my Linux box read
>the files from the CDROM _without_ actually copying the
>files onto my HD.  How do I go about it? I looked at
>cp command but there is no switch that I can make it do
>what I want.
>
>thanks in advance
>glenn

Sounds like you need a bit bucket.....

...fortunately Linux (and most good OS's for that matter) come with
one as a standard factory option.

Try copying the whole CD to /dev/null....

That should do exactly what you want.
--
Wolf

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software!
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:17:06 GMT

<LI><a href="http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/feature/1999/04/01feature.html">Salon
21st | Money talks -- open source walks</a>

   Money talks -- Open source walks
   Plans for new LinuxSoft venture map
   new business model for "free" software.

   SALON STAFF REPORT | In a move sure to send shock waves through the
   free software/open-source community, Linus Torvalds, creator of the
   Linux operating system, announced today that he is founding LinuxSoft,
   a new company that will specialize in selling "enhanced" proprietary
   versions of Linux.

   LinuxSoft will be a joint venture between leading Linux vendors Red
   Hat, VA Research and LinuxCare. Torvalds announced it has already
   obtained venture capital funding from Silicon Valley's premier VC
   firm, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.

   "The free software model has served its purpose," said the Finnish
   coder, considered by many geeks to be the greatest programmer in the
   world, "but now I've got to think about putting my daughters through
   college."

   LinuxSoft, according to Torvalds, will experiment with a variety of
   business models -- including an innovative advertiser-supported
   approach, in which sponsors will pay to insert their messages directly
   into the program code. "We know that that's where they'll get the
   maximum eyeballs and best bang for their buck," he said.

   LinuxSoft expects to file for an IPO within 36 hours, Torvalds added.

   Torvalds' announcement was followed by a rash of similar breakthrough
   developments in the open-source world, prompting one longtime observer
   to say via e-mail "the dam has broken -- the open sourcers have
   finally realized that TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free
   lunch."

   Eric Raymond, the oft-quoted hacker advocate and open-source
   propagandist, released a paper on his personal Web site titled "The
   Cathedral, the Bazaar and the Bottom Line." Raymond said that he was
   launching a new venture called "Open Bourse" -- an online marketplace
   in which free-software programmers could auction off their code to the
   highest bidder. "Open Bourse" is a joint venture with eBay.

   Slashdot, the popular "news for nerds" Web site that has served as a
   focal point for open-source devotees, unveiled a redesigned and
   renamed site, Slashdot Investor. Beginning immediately, Slashdot
   Investor will only be available to site visitors who have purchased
   subscriptions. Premium content will include a "Stock Tip of the Day"
   from journalist Jon Katz -- a 6,500-word essay on a particular
   company's cultural context, along with a buy/sell recommendation.

   Brian Behlendorf of the Apache Project issued a press release
   detailing a new plan to levy a micropayment tax on every Web page
   delivered by the widely deployed Apache Web server. "This great
   software has been doing its job on millions of computers without ever
   asking for anything in return," Behlendorf said. "The free ride is
   over -- it's time to pay the piper."

   In Redmond, Microsoft announced that Free Software Foundation founder
   Richard Stallman had accepted the new position of Senior Vice
   President for Ideology.

   Initial reaction to the news was mild, to the dismay of trolling
   journalists. A brief flame war broke out on comp.os.linux.advocacy,
   where a few die-hard open-source devotees tangled with the movement's
   leaders. But complaints like "Have our whole community's ideals gone
   to /dev/null?" were quickly met with responses like "Get real, pal."

   Some posters on Usenet suggested that the news was an instance of
   "Microsoft FUD": "There has not been such a massive disinformation
   campaign since the days of Cointelpro." A few even claimed that the
   moves were an obvious April Fools' prank, but Torvalds himself posted
   a strong denial: "We are still intent on world domination. But now we
   plan to rake in some dough, too."
   SALON | April 1, 1999

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Moore)
Date: 2 Apr 1999 10:20:00 -0500

In article <7e23e4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

>If the process is trying to output anything to the console it will hang at
>this point with -nohup.
>You can use 'screen' instead. This will give you a shell with vt100
>capabilities which can even be used to multiplex different instances at any
>one terminal. You start your process, detach from screen and can then logoff
>while your process under screen keeps running.
>You can connect back to screen by logging in at any terminal and reattaching
>to your session with 'screen -r'.
>I am using screen-3.7.1 from 1996 which I think I got from sunsite. Ask
>archie.
>

>Rolf

That is a good point that I forgot to mention also.  The other simple
way to run it in background is just to redirect the output to a file,
so it will not try to go to the screen. i.e.

a.out < inputfile > outputfile &

--

Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Duston)
Date: 2 Apr 1999 09:10:06 -0600

Enkidu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: wizard wrote:
: >
: > The other key item that everyone overlooks is the large amount
: > of effort the people at RedHat, Suse and others put into driver
: > development. If that does add value I don't know what does.
: >
: This is a fiction. Redhat do *not* develop drivers.

Redhat IS paying other people to develop Linux.  Alan Cox is contracted
to develop for Linux through a company he set up that is paid by Redhat
Labs.  See http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/ for info.  They are paying to
develop Gnome.  See http://www.labs.redhat.com/ for info.

Hal Duston
[EMAIL PROTECTED]