From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danny Aldham)
Subject: Re: slashdot overview grabber for Linux
Date: 3 Apr 1999 00:51:57 GMT

I found this neat program out of magazine link somewhere. Works like
a charm.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# slashes.pl - Slashdot headlines news-ticker
# Copyright (c) 1998 Alex Shnitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# This code is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
#
# This script requires libgtk-perl 0.3 or better.
#
# Usage: slashes.pl [-clf]
#  -c  run slashes.pl in compact mode
#  -l  has effect only in compact mode, where it makes slashes.pl launch an
#      article upon left click and not middle click
#  -f  tells slashes.pl that you'd like to read flattened comments

use Gtk;
init Gtk;
use Socket;
use IO::Handle;
use Getopt::Std;

use strict;

my %opts;
getopts("clf", \%opts);    # Patrick Seal: support for command-line args

# You can tell the script to use a proxy. If $PROXY is empty it
# will not use one. By default the script takes the value of the
# http_proxy environment variable (suggested by ERDI 'Cactus' Gergo),
# so if there isn't one no proxy will be used.
my $PROXY = "";
#my $PROXY = "http://gabriel.bctel.com/proxy/proxy.pac";
my $PROXYPORT = 0;
if($ENV{http_proxy}) {
    $ENV{http_proxy} =~ m$http://(.*?):(.*?)/$;
    $PROXY = $1;
    $PROXYPORT = $2;
}

# Number of seconds before a refresh is performed.
# Suggested by Brett Kosinski
# Since ultramode.txt only updates once in 30 minutes, the timeout is
# set to that value.
my $REFRESH_TIMEOUT = 1800;

# Path to Netscape executable
# Suggested by Brett Kosinski
# The ## is replaced by the URL here
#my $BROWSER_CMD = "/usr/X11R6/bin/netscape -remote 'OpenURL(##, new_window)'";
my $BROWSER_CMD = "/usr/bin/netscape -remote 'OpenURL(##, new_window)'";

# If you prefer to read flattened comments, set the following variable to 1.
# Suggested by P. Siegmann
my $COMMENTS_FLAT = $opts{f} || 0;

# If you'd like to run slashes.pl in "compact" mode (without the
# buttons on the bottom & the column titles, and launching an article
# upon a click on its row) set this variable to 1.
my $COMPACT_MODE = $opts{c} || 0;

# If while in compact mode you'd like an article to be launched upon a
# left-click (and not a middle-click like it is by default) set this
# variable to 1.
my $COMPACT_LCLICK = $opts{l} || 0;

############ End of configuration

# $clist and $status hold the references to the Gtk CList holding the
# articles, and the status line which is actually a label. @articles
# holds the URLs of the articles.
my($clist, $status, @articles);

sub MainWindow {
    my $mainwin = new Gtk::Window;
    $mainwin->set_title("Slashdot headlines");
    $mainwin->signal_connect("destroy", \&Gtk::main_quit);
    $mainwin->signal_connect("delete_event", \&Gtk::false);
    $mainwin->set_usize(600,150);
    $mainwin->set_policy(1,1,1);
    my $vbox = new Gtk::VBox(0,5);
    $vbox->border_width(5);

    $clist = new_with_titles Gtk::CList("Title", "Author", "Topic", "Comments");
    if($COMPACT_MODE) {
        $clist->column_titles_hide;
    } else {
        $clist->column_titles_passive;
    }
    $clist->set_selection_mode("browse");
    $clist->set_policy("always", "automatic");
    $clist->set_column_width(0, 250);
    $clist->set_column_width(1, 70);
    $clist->set_column_width(2, 100);
    $clist->set_column_width(3, 20);
    if($COMPACT_MODE) {
        if($COMPACT_LCLICK) {  # Launch article on left click
        # The following based on code by Dov Grobgeld
        $clist->signal_connect("select_row", sub {
                                     &Browse($articles[$clist->selection]);
                                 });
        } else {               # Launch article on middle click
        $clist->signal_connect("button_press_event", sub {
                                     my $event = $_[1];
                                     if($event->{button} == 2) {
                                        $event->{button} = 1;
                                        Gtk::Gdk::event_put($clist, $event);
                                     }
                                     return 1;
                                 });
        $clist->signal_connect("button_release_event", sub {
                                     my $event = $_[1];
                                     my $button = $event->{button};
                                     my $x = $event->{"x"};
                                     my $y = $event->{"y"};
                                     my ($r, $c) =
                                           $clist->get_selection_info($x, $y);
                                     if ($button == 2 &&
                                         defined $r && defined $c &&
                                         $r!=-1 && $c!=-1) {
                                     # although this selecting isn't
                                     # necessary, the results make much
                                     # more sense as opposed to simply
                                     # opening that selection while
                                     # leaving the selected row somewhere
                                     # else.
                                     #  chris quirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                     #  12/01/98
                                     $clist->select_row($r, $c);
                                     &Browse($articles[$clist->selection]);
                                     }
                                     return 1;
                                 });
        }
    }
    $clist->show;
    $vbox->pack_start($clist, 1,1,0);

    unless($COMPACT_MODE) {
        my $hbox = new Gtk::HBox(0,0);
        my $but;
        $but = new_with_label Gtk::Button("  Refresh  ");
        $but->signal_connect("clicked", \&Refresh);
        $hbox->pack_start($but, 0,0,0);
        $but->show;

        $but = new_with_label Gtk::Button("  Read  ");
        $but->signal_connect("clicked", sub {
                                 return unless(defined $clist->selection);
                                 &Browse($articles[$clist->selection]);
                             });
        $hbox->pack_start($but, 0,0,0);
        $but->show;
        $status = new Gtk::Label("Refreshing headlines...");
        $hbox->pack_start($status, 0,0,10);
        $status->show;
        $but = new_with_label Gtk::Button("  Quit  ");
        $but->signal_connect("clicked", \&Gtk::main_quit);
        $hbox->pack_end($but, 0,0,0);
        $but->show;

        $vbox->pack_start($hbox, 0,0,0);
        $hbox->show;
    } else {
        # Create a dummy $status so funtions that set the status line
        # don't complain.
        $status = new Gtk::Label("");
    }

    # Add a timeout to refresh the list automatically.
    # Suggested by Brett Kosinski
    Gtk->timeout_add(1000*$REFRESH_TIMEOUT, \&Refresh, undef);

    $mainwin->add($vbox);
    $vbox->show;
    $mainwin->show;
    $mainwin->draw_children; # for the window to draw before the
}                             # first refresh

sub Browse {
    my($url) = @_;
    $url =~ s/\.shtml$/_F.shtml/
        if $COMMENTS_FLAT;
    my $cmd = $BROWSER_CMD;
    $cmd =~ s/\#\#/$url/;
    system($cmd);
    $status->set("Sent URL to the browser");
    # If I don't return 1 explicitly then timeout_add won't reschedule
    # the event again.
    return 1;
}

sub Refresh {
    my($iaddr, $proto, $port, $paddr, $url);

    if($PROXY) {
        $iaddr = gethostbyname($PROXY);
        $port = $PROXYPORT;
        $url = "http://slashdot.org/ultramode.txt";
    } else {
        $iaddr = gethostbyname("slashdot.org");
        $port = 80;
        $url = "/ultramode.txt";
    }

    $proto = getprotobyname("tcp");
    $paddr = sockaddr_in($port, $iaddr);

    $status->set("Connecting to slashdot.org...");  # this actually
                                                    # won't show...
    socket(SLASH, PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $proto) or die "socket: $!";
    connect(SLASH, $paddr) or die "connect: $!";
    autoflush SLASH 1;
    print SLASH "GET $url HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n";
    $status->set("Connected; waiting for reply...");

    # Generic ultramode.txt parser
    # by Steve Haslam
    # Handles the number of fields between delimiters being extended...
    # Skip HTTP header
    local $/ = "\r\n\r\n";
    my $http_header = <SLASH>;
    my @http_headerlist = split(/\r\n/, $http_header);
    my $http_status = shift @http_headerlist;
    my($httpver, $nstatus, $vstatus) = ($http_status =~ /(.*?) (.*?) (.*)/);
    if ($nstatus !~ /^2/) {
      $status->set("HTTP error $nstatus: $vstatus");
      return;
    }
    $status->set("Data arriving...");
    $clist->clear;
    undef @articles;
    # Get text data
    local $/ = "\n%%\n";
    # Remove the intro
    my $intro = <SLASH>;
    foreach (<SLASH>) {
      my($title, $link, $time, $author, $dept, $topic, $numcomments,
         $storytype, $imagename) = split(/\n/);
      $clist->append($title, $author, $topic, $numcomments);
      push(@articles, $link);
    }
    close SLASH;

    $status->set("Headlines retrieved.");
}

&MainWindow;
&Refresh;
main Gtk;
--
Danny Aldham      Postino Dotcom                     E-mail for Business
www.postino.com   Virtual Servers, Mail Lists, Web Databases, SQL & Perl

------------------------------

From: Michael Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux
Date: 02 Apr 1999 23:28:16 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm looking for a Web-Browser that I can use on an Sparc Station 5 that is

Have you tried the file browsers for gnome and kde?  They both
function as web browsers, too.  Just type the URL in the are near the
menubar.  They are actually pretty good, until they hit something they
can't handle like shtml.

--
Michael D. Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux
Subject: Re: I killed my Linux box
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:21:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Nadine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 5.1 (upgraded here and there) and KDE 1.1. StarOffice
> needed some glibc libraries that it supposedly couldn't find on my pc.
> Since that glibc .tar file that came with the program was to be
> installed in a StarOffice subdirectory, I thought what the hey, install
> it anyway.
>

>From experiences upgrading a libc on a sunOS 4.1.3 machine, you have to be
very careful about how you upgrade the C library.

As far as I can tell, your system will try and switch over to the latest C
library as soon as it enters your library path. If you are running any tools
to copy the C library that uses the C library, the copy will fail, you will
have a corrupted library, and your system will die.

To copy in a new C library, unarchive it to a directory, and *mv* it to the
destination directory, do not use the copy command. Never delete a library
before you replace it.

The solution to your problem would be to re-install the glibc library. Either
do it from a boot floppy, or start up in single user mode and mv the updated
libc into place.

the mv, cd, and echo * commands should still work, and will be all you need to
repair your system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Names to call Windows...
Date: 3 Apr 1999 03:27:49 -0500

In article <x0kN2.11637$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
William Cornett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Shouldn't this crap be on comp.os.linux.advocacy? Most people (myself
>included) come here to learn something useful. There should be a group
>titled comp.os.linux.whiners or comp.os.bsd.freebsd.whiners for youse
>guys.

        Ahem... Methink it's time to use *right* name and newgroup
alt.os.advocacy.wank.wank.wank. Pity that rename from big-7 to alt
is nearly impossible. OTOH... RFD/CFV crossposted between news.groups
and alt.config... comp.*.advocacy, alt.destroy.microsoft, alt.fan.bill-gates
would go there nicely. Other possibility being comp.wanking hierarchy.
It could be confused with teledildonics-related stuff, though...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: problem including math.h header in RedHat 5.1
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:17:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Fenton Travers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking in /usr/include/math.h and I don't see the prototypes for
> sqrt or sin or cos.  I've got many programs that include math.h and I
> don't know what is wrong.  I am using a standard install of RedHat 5.1
> just not sure why this math.h doesn't have those things in it.

They're in __math.h, which is included in math.h. If you are having problems
linking you need to include the -lm flag.

Perry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RPM Catch-22s?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:22:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jon McLin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My experience with rpm thus far is that it is close to worthless.  About
> 25% of rpms I download can be installed.  The remainder fail.  There are
> circular dependencies, and what appears to be inconsistent naming:
> packages will not install due to dependencies, despite the fact that the
> required library is in fact installed.

I don't seem to have these problems. Are you sure you're using rpm intended
for the redhat dist.

> Is there a secret decoder ring I'm missing, or is RPM actually a
> Microslothesque ploy by Redhat to sell more preconfigured distributions?

No, but no one can help unless you can be more specific.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Chajkowski)
Subject: Re: C++ Heeeelp!!!!
Date: 3 Apr 1999 07:46:17 GMT

I found that "How to C++ Program" by Deitel & Deitel is an excellent book.  A
staple in my, and all of my collegues esteemed text collections

Michael Chajkowski
Systems Consultant
Miracana Enterprizes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Preston F. Crow)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Proposal: "Linux 2000 Platform"
Date: 1 Apr 1999 20:57:15 GMT

This is silly.  (Well, it is April 1st.)

This is also corssposted to way too many newsgroups.  Please keep it
in .advocacy where this political stuff belongs.

The only issue that should matter between distributions for
application support is which libraries are required.  Since most
distributions are moving towards glibc2.1 with runtime support for
glibc2.0.7pre6 and libc5.4, applications are free to use any
widely-used libc.

Configuration files?  Applications shouldn't care where configuration
files for other system components belong, because they should be
separate.  I'm not about to install some application that needs to
hack my startup scripts.

RPM for package management?  Yuck.  Just use .tar.gz.  No need to add
extra complexity for self-contained packages.

--PC

--
"And he [Christopher Robin] respects Owl, because you can't help respecting
anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling

------------------------------

From: Edward Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RedHat Script
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 23:22:10 -0500

First of all I am no expert, I have good experience in the computer industry,
10 plus years as a tech. but I am inexperienced with Linux. With that said I
noticed your post and am in the process of installing RedHat 5.2 myself, there
is a sub mode for installation called "kickstart". It does appear to have at
least a limited use as an install script. It is reported as an "unattanded
installation tool". I don't if this was of any use but if it was I have the
book and you can email me back to find out more specifics.
Ed Jones

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are
theLinux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: 02 Apr 1999 22:40:32 -0500

"wayfinder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> I'm noticing everyone talks about pretty icons but no addressed the "easy to
-> use" option which was mentioned first in this fella's mail.
-> I wonder why that is...

Beats me.  Linux is the sole OS installed on my laptop computer and
the only one I've been runing this year on my tower computer.  I use
it because it is easier than windows (at least for me).

BTW, my GUI is KDE.  Nice without over doing the glitz.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

s/trashcan/david/ to reply by mail
If you don't, I won't see it.

A public debt is a kind of anchor in the storm; but if the anchor be
too heavy for the vessel, she will be sunk by that very weight which
was intended for her preservation.
                -- Colton

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unzip problem
Date: 02 Apr 1999 21:54:10 -0500

Dinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> I'm a linux newbie and i'm trying to decompress a .tar file from the
-> floppy drive. I figured out how to mount the floppy drive, but I can't
-> seem to work out how to decompress the archive. Could anyone give me any
-> help? I'm using Redhat Linux 5.2, kernel version 2.2.2.

man tar

tar tvf file.tar  --- view tar file contents
tar xvf file.tar  --- extract all files

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

s/trashcan/david/ to reply by mail
If you don't, I won't see it.

A long memory is the most subversive idea in America.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David H. Brown)
Subject: Re: newsreader for linux
Date: 3 Apr 99 07:47:12 GMT

In article <7e3tlu$59o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher Michael Jones wrote:
>I use tin to, although I don't have a lot of experience with some
>of the newer newsreaders, I'll have to check them out.
>Chris Jones

I just started using slrn, and like it pretty well (runs in a text terminal,
which is handy for telnetting into).  It wasn't included in Slackware distro,
so I had to download it (source); then compile--fortunately it compiled easily
as I'm not a guru.

I tried the trn that is included in Slackware, but it was too hard to get
used to (for me).

--
Dave Brown    Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Julio De Gregorio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I start icewm ????????
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 01:54:15 -0300

Hi!,

        I've installed icewm from RedHat 5.1 Distribution, but I don't
know how to start it.

When I type icewm from whithn X I get "WM already running, exiting... "

If I run it from a text sesion, I get "icewm: can't open display:
<none>"

So if someone get it working ....

ThanX.

-= Julio De Gregorio =-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:54:15 -0800

On 2 Apr 1999 22:10:49 GMT, Danny Aldham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mike Graham ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:27:59 +0900, Yim,SeongSoo wrote:
>: >I realy recommend to start with RedHat.
>
>:   I agree with that.  It seems the most 'mainstream'.  I was just on their
>: website and it appears that several big players (IBM, COMPAQ, etc.) have
>: pumped in some capital to get in on the action.  That's a very telling sign.
>
>And I disagree. I have used RedHat since 2.1 , and Mandrake is better.
>Mandrake _is_ RedHat, with the KDE installed. A nice desktop makes the
>OS much friendlier to beginners. Get Mandrake if you can.

        Above and beyond what Redhat 5.2 already delivers it
        only really just adds a decent file mangler.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Patte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:49:31 +0200

Sitaram Chamarty wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:30:17 +0000, taniwha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is there a chance that your system does a save-to-disk when
> >you close the cover and when you repartitioned for Linux
>
> Most reasonable systems shouldnt force you to suspend when the
> cover is closed.  This behaviour itself ay be a BIOS setting -
> check that out too.

I had a similar problem with a Gateway: linux didn't crash but beeped
continously when I closed the cover: I installed apmd and I suspend the
computer before closing the cover.

-- François Patte. UFR de mathématiques et informatique.
45 rue des St Pères. 75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tel: 01 44 55 35 59 -- Fax: 01 44 55 35 35