Linux-Misc Digest #717, Volume #23                Wed, 1 Mar 00 04:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Oracle 8i GUI features ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  cdrom problem (Li Zhao)
  Re: burning linux from download (Manuel Alducin)
  Re: unsatisfied dependencies (Manuel Alducin)
  Re: system requirements? (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Cnet PRO120 and linux {newbie} (Lee Hueckel)
  Installing Linux on SPARC 10 (Foo Ji-Haw)
  Re: linux without xwindows?
  Re: swap space (Floyd Davidson)
  configure pppd server on REDHAT 6.0 (Francesco Loiacono)
  who to configure ppp server on REDHAT 6.0 ? (Francesco Loiacono)
  Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu (Wolf)
  Re: Which distribution is better (Newbie question)
  Re: Switching Window Managers ("FJM")
  Re: Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu ("Jason Byrne")
  Re: Internet Connection Problem (Bjorn Beheydt)
  Re: Problem in installing staroffice (michael james obrien)
  Re: cdrom problem
  Re: Installing Linux on SPARC 10 ("Jason Byrne")
  Re: Installing Linux on SPARC 10 ("Jason Byrne")
  Re: Installing Linux on SPARC 10 ("Jason Byrne")
  128 RAM on FIC SD11 and Athlon 600MHz (Michael Yuan)
  Accessing FAT partitions (Thomas Hommel)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Oracle 8i GUI features
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:03:24 GMT

Hi!!

Does Oracle 8i for Linux 6.1 have any GUI features - other than dbassist
and netasst/netec?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Li Zhao)
Subject: cdrom problem
Date: 1 Mar 2000 06:09:52 GMT

I have burded a CD. However when I try to mount it on my machine, the
following error happens:

hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0{Busy}
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Unit attention -- (sense key=0x06)
  Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0{Busy}
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00(hdc), sector 64
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
  Error: Unit attention -- (sense key=0x06)
  Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
mount: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblodk on /dev/cdrom, or
       too many mounted file systems

I try to mount the burded CD in some other machines. It works. I also try
to mount some other CDs in my machine. It also works. Anybody knows what's
wrong here? and how can let the burded CD work on my machine?
I use RedHat 6.1 (kernel is 2.2.12-20)

Many Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Manuel Alducin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: burning linux from download
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:12:28 GMT

Actually you can download the ISO images for various distros and then
just use your CD burning software. There are ISOs for RedHat, Corel,
Suse (first CD), Caldera, Mandrake, and probably many more I haven't
stumbled across.

Blasto wrote:

> I have adaptech 4 and can't figure how to create an ISO.  Please help?

Manuel Alducin

From: Manuel Alducin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unsatisfied dependencies
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:24:50 GMT

those are the base C/C++ libraries. Look for them, in RH they are under
Development/Libraries (if memory serves) and usually are installed
when you install the basic development tools (gcc, g++ and/or egcs)

root wrote:

> Every time I try to install an RPM I get this list of unsatisfied
> dependencies
> libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
> libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
> I am using Caldera 2.2     Kernel 2.2.10
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanx

Manuel Alducin

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: system requirements?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:20:40 -0800

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, MW wrote:

> Gnome also crawls, haven't tried the other desktop managers. It's an STB
> Powergraph with 4MB RAM (PCI).

no surprise there - gnome and kde easily compete with MS in terms of
memory requirements. Try a lightweight wm - personally I use wm2 with
tkdesk and it's plenty fast on a P75 with 64 megs even with two users
concurrently - one remotely of course.
                                                 Gerald

From: Lee Hueckel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Cnet PRO120 and linux {newbie}
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:43:37 GMT

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I spent about 2 hours trying to get a
Pro 120 B working. I gave up and went down and spent the $19.95 on a card that I
knew would work.

------------------------------

From: Foo Ji-Haw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Linux on SPARC 10
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 15:01:17 +0800

Can someone pls tell me if I can, and how can I install Linux onto my
SPARC 10? I know my SPARC is old, which is why I thought Linux will be
the last OS to make full use of the machine. Please Cc: to me at

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: linux without xwindows?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:18:24 GMT

http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/08/26/904189535.html

Everything.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: swap space
Date: 29 Feb 2000 21:33:41 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) wrote:
>DELUCIA ALAN T wrote:

>>When I installed linux on my current machine, I set my swap partition to
>>the size of the ram (8 meg).  I upgraded to 16meg and have not increased
>>the size of the partition.  I notice that the hard drive in constantly
>>reading and writting, making the machine incrediably slow.  If I increase
>>the swap space will this go away?
>
>No.  Running X in less than 32M of RAM will probably cause your machine to
>swap constantly no matter what the size of the swap file is.

>>And is 16 meg enough for a 486/100 running x-win?  If I give
>>it even more I will have to increase the partition again.
>
>No and no.  Swap+RAM=total amount of memory, and for that little RAM I'd
>suggest having swap=2*RAM... especially if you're running anything that's
>memory-hungry!

That does not make sense.  Why limit the swap space, and virtual
memory, just because the system doesn't have enough RAM to make it
so that swap is not constantly being used?

First you point out that with anything less than 32Mb of RAM the
system will be swapping constantly, which suggests that it will
_normally_ use more then 32Mb of virtual memory.  That is true.

Then you suggest that virtual memory be limited to only 2x the
RAM available!  With so little RAM, he needs *far* more swap
space.  Having only 32 or 16 or even 8Mb does not change the
fact that a couple of pretty common X programs can run up over
100Mb of virtual memory usage at the drop of a hat.  (Gimp or
any other image editing program, Emacs, and Netscape or three
that can make a mere 48Mb of virtual memory seem small.  Using
all three at once is just not unlikely either!)

The best solution is to max out the system with all the RAM it
will hold.  On an old 486 board that might be only 32Mb.  But
whatever it is, the swap space needs to be just about as large
as one can manage to provide (up to 3-400Mb makes sense if the
system happens to have a large enough hard disk).  And disks are
*cheap* these days, so even if it means spending $50 to add a 1
gig disk, it is relatively easy to have 2-300Mb of swap space.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Francesco Loiacono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: configure pppd server on REDHAT 6.0
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:30:09 GMT

How to configure pppd server on REDHAT 6.0 ?
I use modems on ttys or on terminal server.

From: Francesco Loiacono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: who to configure ppp server on REDHAT 6.0 ?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:30:13 GMT

How to configure ppp server on REDHAT 6.0 ?
My configuration is modem 56k on tty or terminal server.
Thank you
Francesco Loiacono

From: Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:30:26 GMT

Hi all,

I've put win98, NT 4.0, and Corel Linux on one hard drive. Everything
works fine, except I would like to change the default OS to boot into
Win98 (to make life easier for a family member). Basically let them turn
on the comp, walk away and come back to see Win98 ready to go.

However I can't figure out how to change it in the lilo.conf file. I've
tried moving the Windows boot info to the top of the list, to no avail.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which distribution is better (Newbie question)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:05:55 GMT

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:28:31 +0100, Balázs Jávor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm more or less a newbie to Linux (although not entirely), and I'd find it
>dard to decide
>which distribution I should go with.
>I'm not new to computers though, so I'm don't necessarily look for the
>distribution which is
>the easiest to install or maintain.
>What I would like to do is to learn Linux inside out, if possible. Also
>among my primary
>concerns are flexibility and availablility of many applicaions etc. Now many
>apps come out
>claiming to be for RedHat or SuSE etc. I've read that you can get those
>packages to work
>with other distributions, but I've also read that because of the different
>distributions use different
>directory structures it may still be problematic.
>I've also read somewhere that Debian is good because it's entirely
>"non-profit" (which I like),

because it is extremely stable

--

 -o)
 /\\

------------------------------

From: "FJM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching Window Managers
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:11:19 -0000

Thanks a lot Kerry

I will give it a try and let you know!

.F.

"Kerry Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
What do you want to use?  I recommend using Window Maker.  Grab the source
code at http://www.windowmaker.org/  untar and unzip it in a separate
location.  Read the INSTALL file and do the necessary ./configure, make  and
make-install.  There are some other options you cna do as well.  Just read
the INSTALL file very carefully.  There is another file that will install
your startup in .xinitrc and THAT is what determines which window manager
starts in some instances.
If you have any questions, email me.  Check out the many window managers at
the following URL.
http://www.plig.org/xwinman/
Good luck.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox         KSL                              |

FJM wrote:
Hi,
I am using RH6.1 and Enlightenment.  How do I choose a different window
manager?

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:16:03 -0800

You can just change the order of the entries in /etc/lilo.conf for the
different OS'... and run 'lilo' to make the changes.

(the first entry will be considered the default)

in the output... should see something like

added win98 * (default)
added NT
added linux

------------------------------

From: Bjorn Beheydt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet Connection Problem
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:17:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Help,
>
> I'm a Linux newbie.  I installed RedHat 6.1 with the KDE desktop on
> the 2nd hard drive. The 1st drive is strictly NT4 on NTFS.  All seems
> to be running OK (including dual processor recognition) except that
> when I connect to my ISP I can only use programs which are currently
> open.  ie.  if I open Netscape before connecting to the ISP everything
> is fine.  If I forget to open it first...no response.  The same thing
> happens when attempting to use any utility or program.  They must be
> opened before dialing the Internet.

How exactly do you connect to the internet? And how do you try to open
these other programs?
Bjorn Beheydt

New and Improved Homepage: http://www.linuxfreak.com/~borniet
Linux: because it separates the boys from the men.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (michael james obrien)
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Problem in installing staroffice
Date: 1 Mar 2000 08:17:00 GMT

damon:

Two things to check

1)  have the glibc libraries been corrupted?  Check by reinstallig the
glibc rpms (this takes about 2 minutes with rpm).

2)  You may have a memory chip bad.  Try to compile a kernel.  If the
kernel compile crashes, you have a bad memory chip.

-Michael
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Hi, could anyone help? i keep getting a "Segmentation fault" followed by
: a core dump during installation of my staroffice. I downloaded the
: application in separately in 7 modules and untar in a home/user
: directory. After running ./setup at command, the above error appeared.
: Is there a way to decipher the core for some clues?

: I'm using RH6.1 on a Pentium 90 (overclocked to 100mhz) with 48M ram.
: Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

: Regards
: Damon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: cdrom problem
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:21:56 GMT

On 1 Mar 2000 06:09:52 GMT, Li Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have burded a CD. However when I try to mount it on my machine, the
>following error happens:
>
>hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0{Busy}
>hdc: ATAPI reset complete
>ATAPI device hdc:
>  Error: Unit attention -- (sense key=0x06)
>  Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
>hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0{Busy}
>hdc: ATAPI reset complete
>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00(hdc), sector 64
>isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
>  Error: Unit attention -- (sense key=0x06)
>  Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
>mount: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblodk on /dev/cdrom, or
>       too many mounted file systems
>
>I try to mount the burded CD in some other machines. It works. I also try
>to mount some other CDs in my machine. It also works. Anybody knows what's
>wrong here? and how can let the burded CD work on my machine?
>I use RedHat 6.1 (kernel is 2.2.12-20)
>
>Many Thanks!

Cdrom drive is getting out of a circuit. Open your computer and push cables
into the drive what harder.

--
 -o)
 /\\

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on SPARC 10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:29:54 -0800

remove (nospam) if you want to reply via email.

I have RH 6.1 installed on a dual-processor Sparc 10... and I've also done
the same on sparc LX.

I haven't played around with other distributions... but the RH install is
fairly trivial.

I don't have an external CD-rom... so I did an NFS install once... and an
FTP on the other (both work fine).

You can use 'rawrite' on an x86 machine to make a bootable floppy from the
image on your favorite ftp (sparc 10 is 32-bit... so the 64-bit doesn't
apply).

When you start your machine... hit 'Stop-A' to get to the PROM prompt... and
put your floppy in the drive and type 'boot floppy'... and watch the system
restart.

The first-stage install starts... and eventually you get to the RPMs
location.  Assuming ftp or nfs... you want the install to 'see' the 'RedHat'
directory in the file structure.  In other words... if you had
/pub/RedHat/RPMS, you want to tell it the RPMs are located in /pub.  Not
exactly intuitive... but trust me.  If you do an NFS export from another
machine... plan with the same idea in mind.

So... the install looks very similar to x86...

I only have a 1g scsi drive and 64mb ram... so I did just made / mount at
/dev/sda1 and swap /dev/sda2

When you get to installing SILO (sparc LILO)... put it on the MBR... and
make PROM entry.

That's about it... if you have multiple processors... smp support should be
installed automatically (it did for me)... and all the typical Sun hardware
is detected and set up.  (ethernet becomes eth0, etc... and naming
conventions are like x86... rather than Sun standards)

After the installation... when you start your system... the normal 'Stop-A'
combination is disabled... and you can use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart, etc...
like an x86 machine.

good luck

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:31:12 -0800

My isp just choked on your email address... so I hope you read the ng

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:49:12 -0800

btw... I just got copies (x86 & sparc) of Solaris 7.

I set up the x86 Solaris on a p166 with very compatible hardware (sb 16,
ne2k, diamond stealth 2mb video, etc..)

Anyway... either I didn't give it much of a chance... or it runs soooooooo
slow it's unbearable (64mb ram w/IDE hard-drive on p166)

I was thinking about putting the Solaris on the sparc 10... but I have a
feeling the Linux will beat it for performance.

(just using fvwm gives me a pretty usable machine... wouldn't dare try
KDE/Gnome).  Actually... I just run everything from the console most of the
time.

------------------------------

From: Michael Yuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 128 RAM on FIC SD11 and Athlon 600MHz
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 02:42:54 -0600

Hi I have a new Athlon 600Mhx with FIC Sd11 MB. I installed 128MB RAM on
it and the MB boot screen can display the info correctly. But when I
boot into RedHat 6.0 and run "top", it says that there is only 64MB
available ... Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks
Michael

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Accessing FAT partitions
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:57:54 +0100

I have mounted my DOS/WIN/FAT16 patritions under linux and it works
fine, except of a small error I cant explain:
If I copy or move files to one of the partitions, theres an error
message like: mv: /mount/win/file.abc: Operation not permitted
Looking to the destination dir shows that the file has been correctly
copied, despite of the error message.
What are the missing permissions?
My fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda3       /mount/win      vfat    defaults, umask=000

Any suggestions are welcome

Thomas