From: Richard Stovall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software!
Date: 3 Apr 1999 08:32:02 GMT

Matthias Warkus wrote:
> It was the Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:24:39 GMT...
> ..and Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark S. Bilk wrote:
> > ><LI><a
href="http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/feature/1999/04/01feature.html">Salon
21st | Money talks -- open source walks</a>

> > You're 24 hours late ...
> > >   SALON | April 1, 1999
>
> Yes. It's a shame; it was the best-done AFJ I've seen so far (and I
> suppose I won't see any more AFJs this year:).
>
> mawa
> --
> "USENet Miranda Rights: You have the right to remain a silent reader.
> Anything you mail or post may and will be used to flame you."
>                                                    -- Chedley Aouririk

Shameful as it is, I gotta admit I fell for it somewhat.  I've been a Salon
regular for a long time and have gotten in the habit of reading it when I
get home at night.  This means that I usually see the next day's stories
the evening before.  It never ocurred to me that a Salon article on the
evening of 3/31 was actually dated 4/1.

Hats off to the 21st bunch for a great AFJ.

Humored and a little sheepish in CA,

RS

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Graham)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:38:54 GMT

On 2 Apr 1999 22:10:49 GMT, Danny Aldham wrote:

>And I disagree. I have used RedHat since 2.1 , and Mandrake is better.
>Mandrake _is_ RedHat, with the KDE installed. A nice desktop makes the
>OS much friendlier to beginners. Get Mandrake if you can.

  I've been using KDE since I started using RedHat.  You don't need to get
an entire distribution just to get one piece of the puzzle that you want.

--
Mike Graham, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Caledon, Ontario, Canada (just NW of Toronto).

Raiser of animals.  Weldor of metals.  Driver of off-road vehicles.
Writer of FAQs.  Keeper of the faith, and all around okay guy.

<http://www.beeline.ca/personal/mike>

------------------------------

From: "Jens Axelsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hd powerdown in linux
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:14:24 +0200

>http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/LG/lg_index.html
>
>in one of these back issues is the answer...I just ran accross it the other
day
>but i dont remember which one, it was a pretty old one though

Thanks!
I'll have a look :)

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Crystal Sound pops
Date: 02 Apr 1999 12:23:19 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am running Mandrake 5.2 Linux with kernel 2.2.4 on a Dell Dimension XPS
> R400 with onboard Crystal Sound. The sound works OK except for one thing -
> whenever I play a sound, it starts off with a static pop which is annoying.
> Any one ever come across this and found a fix?

I'm having the same problem on more or less the same machine.  In
addition, I'm getting distortion in real audio on loud passages,
clicks and pops sort of like overmodulation.  Everything works fine
under 2.0.36.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:43:59 +0100
From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Help] PPP worked but now fails [modem q]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware

Hi,

I have PPP working ok on another box and it works fine
however I have come accross another problem on this box

My modem is a 3com message 56k v90 external
Linux SUSE 5.3 (connection vi cua0 (com1).

I am using the sam configuration as on my other box
however ppp is viewing the strings as failed (please
see the bottom extract from my messages file, 1st the ok version
then the failed one). Same chat script.

Can anyone please mail me with an indication of what is wrong
either with PPP or with the modem settings.

Many thanks

Matt

Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: ATDT08450801000^M^M
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: CONNECT -- got it
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: send (^M)
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: expect (Host Name:)
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: CSI -- got it
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve chat[200]: User Id
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve chat[200]: <user id> -- got it

etc etc....

Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: ATDT08450801000^M^M
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: CONNECT -- got it
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: send (^M)
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]: expect (Host Name:)
Apr  3 08:15:27 compuserve chat[200]:  49333/ARQ^M
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve chat[200]: ^\@`^N^\^\GG^\G^N^\@
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve pppd[197]: Connect script failed
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve pppd[197]: Exit.
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve chat[200]: alarm
Apr  3 08:16:12 compuserve chat[200]: Failed
Apr  3 08:17:04 compuserve kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully
unregistered

------------------------------

From: "Jens Axelsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hd powerdown in linux (found it!)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:24:21 +0200

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue23/lg_tips23.html#spin

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: knews: Couldn't determine domain name.  Posting will not be
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:53:00 +0000

Nick Dreyer wrote:

> knews: Couldn't determine domain name.  Posting will not be possible.
>
> Everytime I start knews (on debian distribution, kernel 2.0.34), I get this
> message, and sure enough, as it says, posting is in fact never possible.
> Someone suggested, in response to an earlier post of mine regarding this
> problem, that the hostname of my PC might not be right, but fiddling with that
> brings not luck:  I originally had just a minimal hostname, "home".  Now I
> changed it to "nick.dreyer.home.oz.net" in both the /etc/hostname and
> /etc/hosts files.  Rebooting, even running knews as root or non-root user, all
> to no avail.  Can't seem to get rid of the problem, no matter what I do.  No
> luck scowering the documentation either.

I ran into this same problem. It turns out that some mail and news
servers won't allow access from host names that don't appear in the DNS
tables - such as your dialup machine's private name. Depending on the
client software, this may or may not be a problem - e.g., in Netscape,
you tell it your Internet email address so it appears as a valid host
name to the server. I don't know about Knews - perhaps there is a way to
tell it what your email address is.

- Steve

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My Linux machine froze!!
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:54:24 +0000

Ilya wrote:

> I was downloading a web page via Netscape when my machine froze. The mouse,
> the keyboard, everything. The page didn't finish downloading, it just froze
> too. CTRL-ALT F1 didn't don't anything, neither did CTRL-ALT-DEL. I had to
> reset it. When it was booting up, I got a message  - something like this:

Next time try CTRL-ALT-BKSP to kill X. It's never failed for me.

- Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: 3 Apr 1999 04:30:50 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> It's a mixed blessing. Count the number of times there are questions
>> on this group from someone who has bought or downloaded Redhat, and
>> doesn't know how to partition a disk.
>
>is this a redhat problem or a generic linux problem?  if debian,
>slackware &c were as popular i am sure we'd hear the same questions
>about them.

IMHO it's RH *trouble*. Bad luck, if you prefer such term. Discussing
what *might* happen is pretty much pointless - RH made a kind of press
that attracted an odd crowd of gimme-Windows-not-from-Evil-Empire
lusers. IOW RH got the main strike. Whether it was RH and not Debian
because Debian had higer resistance to disease or by sheer bad luck... Does
it really make any difference? Let me put it that way: there are newbies
and there is ballast. It's not about lack of clue - everybody began
clueless (whether it was on Linux or on other Unices - doesn't matter).
It's about luserness. Quite a different thing. RH got a lot of newbies
(probably more than other distributions, but I suspect that nobody has
numbers) *plus* almost all lusers. The thing being, lusers are much more
vocal...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: Ryan Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slashdot Source Code, "Apache->request" Problem
Date: 3 Apr 1999 09:32:17 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to use the slashdot.org source code for my site.  I have
installed MySQL, mod_perl into Apache, which is listed when I do 'httpd
-l', and all of the modules that are listed in the README file.  Has anyone
out there figured oit how to fix this?  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Please email me if you have a solution.

The perl script can't run, and my error_log shows this:

        Can't locate object method "request" via package "Apache" at
/home/pdhs/public_html/admin.pl line 3.
        [Sat Apr  3 01:19:28 1999] [error] [client 20X.2X2.X6.12] Premature end of
script headers: /home/pdhs/public_html/admin.pl

Thanks!
-Ryan Hughes

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment?
Date: 02 Apr 1999 22:21:54 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Conover) writes:

-> Office is pretty darn powerful, not just because of its capabilities but
-> because of its installed base (external network effects).  It does 98% of what
-> an average office user wants it to do, and its easy to share docs, etc.

Melisa wouldn't have been possible without it :-)

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

s/trashcan/david/ to reply by mail
If you don't, I won't see it.

The birds are singing, the flowers are budding, and it is time for Miss
Manners to tell young lovers to stop necking in public.

It's not that Miss Manners is immune to romance.  Miss Manners has been
known to squeeze a gentleman's arm while being helped over a curb, and,
in her wild youth, even to press a dainty slipper against a foot or two
under the dinner table.  Miss Manners also believes that the sight of
people strolling hand in hand or arm in arm or arm in hand dresses up a
city considerably more than the more familiar sight of people shaking
umbrellas at one another.  What Miss Manners objects to is the kind of
activity that frightens the horses on the street ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vik)
Subject: Problem with Extracting compressed Linux Programs
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:42:59 GMT

Greetings,
I bought RedHat 5.2 from CheapBytes as well as 3 archive CD's with
programs on them. However I am stuck at how to decompress and
ultimately install, I have tried many things including gunzip but it
dosen't seem to work can anyone out there give me a clue or two, a in
how to solve this.

P.S Im a newbie to Linux, so plz excuse my stupidity

Many Thanks

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Names to call Windows...
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:02:33 -0500

William Cornett wrote:

> Shouldn't this crap be on comp.os.linux.advocacy? Most people (myself
> included) come here to learn something useful.

Well then, how about getting an education and getting off the welfare?

Donn

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM Catch-22s?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 12:10:27 +0000

Jon McLin wrote:

> My experience with rpm thus far is that it is close to worthless.  About
> 25% of rpms I download can be installed.  The remainder fail.  There are
> circular dependencies, and what appears to be inconsistent naming:
> packages will not install due to dependencies, despite the fact that the
> required library is in fact installed.
>
> Is there a secret decoder ring I'm missing, or is RPM actually a
> Microslothesque ploy by Redhat to sell more preconfigured distributions?

There are simple ways to work around the "catch 22" issue, but I don't
know if I'm going to tell you because I'm so sick and tired of everyone
comparing RedHat or whatever to Microsoft every time they run into a
little difficulty because they themselves don't know what they're doing.
People, this is not only a totally bullshit comparison, it's much worse.
It's getting really BORING!

Two things - try to get RPMs built for your system. Different distros
have subtly different layouts, and what works for one may not work for
another, depending on the nature of the package. The RPM repository that
I use usually has several versions of any given package, usually
covering RH 5x, SuSe, Rawhide, etc. Mandrake and some others are
spinoffs of RH, so a Mandrake package usually works for RH, and vice
versa.

As far as circular dependencies are concerned, that's why they invented
the --nodeps and --force options. RTFM for full details. If you think it
through and understand what RPM really does, you'll realize that it's a
very powerful system. There are many, many options. You can find out
exactly what's in a package, where it will put the pieces, whether it
will run scripts pre- or post- installation, etc. Forget about glint and
use rpm from a command line.

Here is the mother of all RPM repositories:

http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/ByName.html

One more tip: keep track of what you install and uninstall in case you
need to back out. It's easy after a trip to the above site to go on a
binge and create a totally mongrelized system :-) Especially if you're
fiddling with system stuff.

Have fun!

- Steve

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help - upgrading kernel
Date: 03 Apr 1999 08:36:19 -0500

John Fee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
JF> I'm trying to upgrade RH 5.2 kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.2 and was first
JF> trying to ensure that I had the minimum required versions of the
JF> necessary programs/libraries. I've hit a cascading problem whereby
JF> each module I tried to update told me it needed a later version of
JF> some other module. Now I've hit a wall with the glibc (or was it
JF> modutils?) library since it says I need kernel header files from
JF> version 2.1.x or later. GYAH! So what it's saying in effect is
JF> that I need a later version of the kernel in oder to ugrade to a
JF> later version of the kernel.

Well, only sort of.  You get the kernel header files for free,
essentially, just by unpacking the kernel tarball.  (Look in
/usr/src/linux/include/, if you unpacked to /usr/src/linux.)  Try
adding that to the header file search path.

--
David Maze             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre van Dijk)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Learn to quote! [Was: Re: Proposal: "Linux 2000 Platform"]
Date: 3 Apr 1999 10:58:35 GMT

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:28:29 GMT, geezerex wrote:
>In the web browser area, due to some personal concerns with aol's handling of
>netscape, consider Sun's Hotjava browser as well.....

Can't you people quote decently here? You reply two lines and you don't cut
one from the original. At least cut the sig from the article you're replying
too. (which was about 10 lines!) Sheesh. I don't wanna sound grumpy (again) but
I have to pay for my Net connection. While I'm at it, please everybody quote
_below_ the original message.

Cheers.

--
A. van Dijk                     Hmmm, I smell Bacon, Elvis is in the kitchen
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   - Denis Leary