Linux-Misc Digest #719, Volume #20               Mon, 21 Jun 99 07:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Can I mount NTFS partitions? (Deepak Kumar)
  Re: Microcom Modem-Linux 2.2 problem (fred smith)
  Help with config. X (Grigori GOLDMAN)
  Re: Microcom motem problem with kernel 2.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can I mount NTFS partitions? (Thomas Glanzmann)
  ppp problem (Kihwan Kwon)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Richard Corfield)
  Re: RH modem problem (fred smith)
  libc.so and libns.so not found (Duncan Irving)
  Re: Thanx, WAS: Newbie: How to DE-install a program in Linux?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ipchains and MS Netmeeting (Bryan)
  Re: Linux + RAM >64M (Thomas Ruedas)
  Re: NETSCAPE FOR LINUX (Stephen Chadfield)
  XF86Config for a ThinkPad 755CE ("Torfinn Kåringen")
  Re: GCC Compiler - RH 6.0 (Jon Skeet)
  Re: COL225: LILO says: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)
(Chris Raper)
  how to run solaris x86 binary under Linux ? (Pierre Pasternak)
  Re: running ppp as non-root (Jay Daniels)
  Cron Files ("Jeff Grossman")
  Re: How do you install a printer? (Geoff Allsup)
  Re: RH modem problem (M. Buchenrieder)

From: Deepak Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I mount NTFS partitions?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:29:38 +0100

Hi,

I am ruuning windows NT 4.0 and Linux (Redhat 5.2) in a dual boot mode.
I want to use my NT partitions (NTFS) from Linux. I tried using mount
but it seems to support only FAT and VFAT. Any solutions....

Deepak.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fred smith)
Subject: Re: Microcom Modem-Linux 2.2 problem
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:36:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Previously I had no problem with the modem using network manager or kppp
: to connect to internet.

: Now that I upgraded to RH6.0 (from 5.2) I cant get connected at correct
: speed.

: I have always had the speed set to 38000 bps, and
: the modem still connected in 33600 bps. Now after the upgrate the
: modem connection is terrible slow, about 200bytes/sec.

It sounds like you may have an address or IRQ conflict. Do you have any
PnP cards in the system? If so are they being set up with the same
values as before the upgrade?

Fred
 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: Grigori GOLDMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with config. X
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:02:42 +1000

I've been trying for weeks to configure my system to use a SVGA server but
for some reason everytime I use it everything on the screen becomes very
large.

If anyone had a similar problem or just knows what I am doing wrong I'll
be really happy to know. I've been through the XF86Config file a million
times and I just don't know what else I can try.

thanks in advance,
Greg
Grigori Goldman
Department of Computer Science
Melbourne University

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Microcom motem problem with kernel 2.2
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:04:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Dan Crooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just upgraded from 5.2 to 6.0 Redhat and noticed that 6.0 didn't
like the
> link
> to cua0 anymore...it worked, but gave me an message that said to
switch to
> using
> the device ttyS0 instead.  I made the change and all is working fine.

Where did you get that message, perhaps I have gotten it but missed it.

Where did you change the link ? in control-panel ?

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I mount NTFS partitions?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:55:33 +0200

Hi,
you can read and write from NTFS partions but you have to be very carefully.
First you have to recompile your kernel with NTFS read OR read and write
ability. Writing onto NTFS partions is experimental. Everytime I tried to write
somethig via a ftp client my Linux crashed.

Deepak Kumar wrote:
> I am ruuning windows NT 4.0 and Linux (Redhat 5.2) in a dual boot mode.
> I want to use my NT partitions (NTFS) from Linux. I tried using mount
> but it seems to support only FAT and VFAT. Any solutions....

--tg

Thomas Glanzmann, Schloss Bieberstein D-36145 Hofbieber +49 6657 7943
http://www.glanzmann.cx

This information is provided as-is, without any guaranty of correctness.

------------------------------

From: Kihwan Kwon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp problem
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:39:43 -0500

Hi, all
I installed RedHat 6.0 and I have a ppp problem.
It doesn't recognize modem and I checked /var/log/messages then
it says:
  Can't open options file
  /root/.ppprc: Function not implemented

Minicom works and ppp worked with Redhat 5.0.
Could somebody tell me what I should?

From: Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 08:15:56 +0100

Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Xfree86 does not do sound.

I think it would be nice if it did (beyond the system beep which it
does). To have network transparent sound as an extension to X would
mean not having to play with things like rplay and esound. It would
also mean that bandwidth goes through the floor but oh well.

 - Richard.

--
   _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/ Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  _/  _/    _/    _/      Web Page:       http://www.littondale.freeserve.co.uk

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fred smith)
Subject: Re: RH modem problem
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:34:26 GMT

Jimmy Navarro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: After connecting PPP using usernet but won't disconnect for some reason
: and I would do like "ps | grep ppp"

:   460   1 S    0:00 sh /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp daemon
: ifcfg-ppp1
:   467   1 S    0:00 /usr/sbin/pppd -detach lock modem crtscts
: defaultroute mru 1
:   528  p1 R    0:00 grep ppp

: then "kill -9 460" and "kill -9 467" but then it can't re-dial out
: either via usernet nor Minicom saying /dev/modem locked.

First of all, don't use -9, use -1 instead. Signal 9 cannot be caught
by a program, the program is blindly killed by the OS. In order for
the ppp daemon to clean up behind itself, it needs to be sent a signal
other than 9 which will tell it it needs to exit. Signal 1 (SIGHUP) is
the standard way to do that. If you do it with -1, then, pppd will terminate
its session, shut down and close the port, close (and delte if necessary)
any files it has open.

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: Duncan Irving <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: libc.so and libns.so not found
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:19:28 +0100

I've been happily using OpenLinux for a few months now but the other day
instead of all my usual thesis-writing applications opening as they do
(emacs, xfig etc) they tell me that they can't find the following:

libc.so.6
libph.so
libns1.so

This struck me as very strange (obviously) and on further inspection of
the CD I found no reference to libns1 at all. Also libc.so.6 doesn't
exist yet, it's still at 5.4 so why are my apps suddenly looking for a
newer version? I had installed no new software and have done nothin to
my X-resources or the kernel...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Duncan

Please hurry as LaTeX on WinTel sucks.

--
Duncan HB Irving
Mountain Permafrost Group               Tel: +44 (0)1222 874000 x6688

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Thanx, WAS: Newbie: How to DE-install a program in Linux??
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:12:34 GMT

Thank you all for comments! Will try it...

YYY

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 05:12:25 +0000
From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: ipchains and MS Netmeeting

I didn't say you didn't know what you were talking about.  I was
replying to the initial question, what I'd seen earlier.  :)

>From what I understand, the initial question was trying to use
netmeeting using ipchains/ipfwadm or using kernel tools/modules of some
sort, as opposed to an external program.

-- Bryan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:29:47 +0200
From: Thomas Ruedas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + RAM >64M

>Most of the newer GNU/Linux distro's will support >64MB during the >install process.
>Others will require adding a line to the lilo.cnf file
>under the /etc directory.
So that was the point (and not recompiling the kernel, as I thought).
Thank you very much for this information.
Regards,
Thomas
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47                      D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949               Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Chadfield)
Subject: Re: NETSCAPE FOR LINUX
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:12:38 GMT

Flash ! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can I know why in the Newsgroup properties panel does not appear  the
>download settings tab ?
>I' d want to download automaticlly the new messages ... can you help me

If it is the offline features of Netscape you are after then I am afraid
you are out of luck. Unix versions of NS do not have that capability.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.aquamarine.demon.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "Torfinn Kåringen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,no.linux
Subject: XF86Config for a ThinkPad 755CE
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:12:40 +0200

Hy
Does anyone have an working XF86Config on an ThinkPad 755CE.
please, I tried about everything

I'm running RedHat 6.0

What does it mean when it says, No Clocks line Inserted????

Torfinn Kåringen    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Subject: Re: GCC Compiler - RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:05:57 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am running RedHat 6.0. I am also trying to learn a bit about C
> programming. When I try to compile - "gcc -g -ofilename filename.c", I
> get the error messages as follows:-
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I don't recall having this trouble with RH 5.2

I've seen problems with gcc recently too, on various systems. Using egcs
to do the linking seemed to solve my problems though...

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Raper)
Subject: Re: COL225: LILO says: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:28:29 GMT

On 14 Jun 1999 15:41:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
wrote:

>The "Cylinder number is too big" message reports that at least one
>block of the zImage (or bzImage) is located on a cylinder that
>cannot be addressed by BIOS, and therefore will not be accessible
>to LILO.
>There are plenty of workarounds.

Hi Cameron

This cure certainly fixed my problem but could you elaborate on the
cures? I don't have the option of getting a different HD so I have
been copying the file around until I get it on an area <1024 - the
best way I have found so far is to

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /tmp

then

ln -f /tmp/bzImage .

This works every time but it is quite long-winded - is there a better
way? Would it be possible to create a division that was inside the
1024 cylinder and use that for boot images?

TIA
Chris R.

------------------------------

From: Pierre Pasternak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to run solaris x86 binary under Linux ?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:33:07 +0200

hi

i have an application that runs on difrent unices (hp,sun,aix)
it uses Lex + Yacc
i can't compiles it on linux because flex does not allow redefinition of
input()...
so i tried to run my app compiled on solaris x86 on linux... dose no
works, even if i compile with .a (no shared libraries) 'cause bad
version of... ld.so (of course !)

is there any way to make some solaris x86 binaries running on linux ?
any kind of 'emulator' ?

any help will be appreciate.

------------------------------

From: Jay Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: running ppp as non-root
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:27:20 -0400

scable wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Can anybody out there tell me how to make a ppp interface available to
> non-root users in RH6.0?
> The Red Hat FAQ page on this question was not very helpful.  Thanks.

The best way is to setup sudo.  Then you type sudo appname

       "Captain, I just uploaded a virus called Windows to the
        Klingon computer system."
                                                      -Spock
Jay Daniels            Pc-Technical Services
http://planttel.net/~pctech/                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,msn.computingcentral.os.linux
Subject: Cron Files
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:17:38 -0700

Could somebody help me with some cron files that are listed in my cron.daily
folder.  What do these do:

et??
makewhatis.cron
slocate.cron
tmpwatch

I know what the slocate.cron is.  Would I be hurting myself if I put that
one in my cron.weekly instead of daily?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Allsup)
Subject: Re: How do you install a printer?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 10:45:05 GMT

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:49:26 -0400, Tarkaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Charles Koerner wrote:
>>
>> I changed to my daughters HP Deskjet 820Cxi for Windows Professional
>> Series" printer.  My HP 4l went south, but it was working.  Now I cant
>> get the DeskJet to print, it is not listed in the "printtool".
>> Need basic help.

I believe the 820 is a Windows printer, which is not supported by the usual
series of drivers.  Look for ppa support for this type of printer - check
the Printing HOWTO, for example

geoff
Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:02:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John W. Dougherty) writes:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>> Jimmy Navarro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> >then "kill -9 460" and "kill -9 467" but then it can't re-dial out
>> >either via usernet nor Minicom saying /dev/modem locked.
>>
>> >How can I unlock the modem?  Thanks...  )-:
>>
>> Remove the lockfile in /var/locks .

Sorry, make that /var/lock . Typo.

>You can also simply delete the "lock" from the
>/etc/ppp/options file.

No. This will cause all sorts of problems withg other programs
accessing the serial ports.

>I think you should probably leave the locks file in
>/var/locks alone.

[...]

Not if you manually killed the process creating the lockfile. This
will cause a stale lockfile hanging aroung in /var/lock, and
result in "modem is locked" whenever a program (pppd) tries to
open the port later. pppd will not remove a stale lockfile
it didn't create.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu