Linux-Misc Digest #399, Volume #18               Tue, 29 Dec 98 21:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Jason Clifford)
  Re: 5.1 + errata = 5.2 ?? (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Am I stupid or am I stupid. PPP. ALMOST!!! (Marc)
  Re: DirecPC info for Linux (Gary Momarison)
  libf2c: what is a .sa file??? (Gordon Haverland)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Roger Espel Llima)
  CVS and Proxies (Michael Chajkowski)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Mark Evans)
  YET ANOTHER REASON TO -=GO SCSI=-!!!  (was Re: How to use a scanner with RedHat
5.1?) ("SCSI")
  Wierd Errors - utmp, samba/Win98, lost files, bad times (Eero Aleksander Pikat)
  Specs for SONY CPD 1704S 17" monitor (Antonio Milillo)
  Ghost / Drive Image functionality under Linux (Antonio Milillo)
  Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released? (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Orchard V.)
  Re: Slackware screen clear on logout ("R.A. Wilson")
  Re: which company uses linux as main o/s (Gary Momarison)
  Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2,  using SANE (Redhat
5.2 Linux) ("SCSI")
  Re: Infringement of the GPL (steve mcadams)
  Re: Installing Slackware 3.6 on a system running Windows NT 4.0 (Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Martin Skjöldebrand)
  Re: Some X Windows apps not running (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: spreadsheet? (Matthias Warkus)

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:37:33 +0000

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Martin Skj=F6ldebrand wrote:

> Neither support tar.gzipped files, which was what at least I was
> discussing. Besides, glint is pretty awful in my humble opinion.

One of the benefits of using a system like Linux is that you can usually
get software is packaged format as well as in a vanilla tarball.

There is nothing that requires you to use glint. Use rpm at the command
prompt instead - or xrpm if you *must* have a GUI.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 5.1 + errata = 5.2 ??
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:44:42 +0000

"Jeffrey S. Kline" wrote:

> They are not identical but if you have all the buggies fixed, there really
> isn't a reason to migrate to another version up yet. I'd probably wait until
> the next major kernal release and then I'd go.

Since kernel 2.2.0 was released today I would assume that it is time
to change. RedHat claims that it is ready for the new kernel but I
would differ with that. It is closer than 5.1 but not ready for
2.2.0 as they claim. I had to install several packages to be up to
date. The sound doesn't work if I compile into a module. I think
it screws up while trying to load modules. I get a device busy
message, just like if I had restored the old garbage setup generated by
the sound configuration program. This is with a ESS1869 (not ESS1868)

I think we should expect a new version shortly or those folks
at RedHat are really becoming a mainstream OS, meaning much
like Microsoft.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
Alors essayez donc Linux ou OS/2

------------------------------

From: Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Am I stupid or am I stupid. PPP. ALMOST!!!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:10:05 GMT

Bill Unruh wrote:

> I am not knocking learning-- that is my profession after all. However
> for most people they did not get a computer to learn about operating
> systems and computers. They got them in order to send email to
> collegues, look at web sites, do word processing etc. Just as they
> bought a car, not to learn about differentials, sparcplugs, or piston
> ring tolerances, but to get them from one place tothe next. WE all have
> limits, of time and of ability, to what we can learn. learning takes
> time and effort and that time and effort may not be available to learn
> about operting systems.

and even though cars have gotten more complex and easier to use,,have they truely
gotten better????some not others..
and to refrence your statment,,about sparkplugs and such,,is;nt it amazing that a
majority of drivers today don't know how to pump their own gas? or check their own
oil? (of course to be fair,,most people also don;t know how to drive either :) but
that is a subject for another NG :- ) )  things that you do not have to be a mechanic
to know,,but you should know f you are going to own a car,,instead things have gotten
so "easy" that people rely on the little lights on their dash to tell them if
something is wrong,,and most of the time igmore them till something major
happens,,when if tney had a little knowledge in the first place mabye this wold have
not happened in the first place .  The same goes for Windows/vs Linux as it gets
easier and easier,,we know less ans less,,and we do not know what to do when somthing
goes wring,,

as I have mentioned in a previous post,,,my problem is not really with Windows itself,
but rather with the licencing practices of the company that sells it,,I have a big
problem with a company that charges as much as it does for what it is giving
you,,,win98 is basically win95 with IE4 and a few doodads thrown in for good measure
and a few bugfixes... it should have been released as an "service pack" not as it's
own OS,,,,and not at the price they are selling it for,,(over $150 if you buy the full
version,  $90 for the"upgrade",,,like I said,,,why the descrepency?)and the NT "client
access licences" as I have said,,,if you want to add more users to the network, after
you have already paid for the OS,you have to pay more??? for what,,the os does nothing
special the more users that are on it???so why pay more to use what you have bought .
it's akin to saying "I just bought this brand spaking new car,,and i can use it all I
want unless I want to go over 40mph then I have to send the manufactuar more
money,,why?"

ok I've babbeled enough for one night ;)
and I agree,,linux is never going to be the "desktop" operating system of choice,,but
for servers,,I'd like to see it grow! :)

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DirecPC info for Linux
Date: 29 Dec 1998 17:12:00 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> Could someone point me in the direction of resources for running
> DirecPC in Linux?  I've heard it can be done even though DirecPC doesn't
> support it.

Gary's Encyclopedia only has these two "Satellite TV" entries:

    <A HREF="ftp://ftp.hns.com/pub/direcpc">
      DirecPC FTP dir</A> &nbsp Drivers and docs.

    <A HREF="http://www.helius.com">
      Helius company</A> &nbsp Said to have a $ driver.

( from http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/radio.htlm )

------------------------------

From: Gordon Haverland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: libf2c: what is a .sa file???
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:57:57 -0700

Hi:
  I am trying to install octave on a machine (binary tarball),
and when I try to run it, it is looking for libf2c.so (I have
found another tar ball with this), and (I think) libf2c.sa
What the heck is a .sa file?  I have never seen a mention of
it before, and every place which seems to have info on libf2c
doesn't mention it.

  Baring that, how do you install octave on a Slackware
(3.1 I think, 2.0.29 was the kernel) install?

Gordon Haverland

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Espel Llima)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 30 Dec 1998 00:58:12 GMT

In article <76bj52$f0r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chris Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>What he's saying is not "X should support copy and paste
>>functionality" -- I think we all know it already does.  Rather, he's
>>suggesting -- based on not only his experience but on the work of
>>many, many human factors professionals -- that X-based interfaces for
>>Unix have historically fallen down because there's no standard way of
>>at that copy & paste functionality.
>
>Worse, many (most?) X apps don't provide a way for you to select text without
>copying it.

what is "worse" about that?  X's behaviour doesn't even have the notion
of "copying" : you select with a button, and drop with another.  it could
hardly be easier, simpler or more practical.

when, after learning X's way, I first encountered a GUI that made me
specifically copy the selected text, I wondered what on earth the point
was.  and I still do, for that matter.

--
Roger Espel Llima, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/espel/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Chajkowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: CVS and Proxies
Date: 29 Dec 1998 23:33:40 GMT

I am a rather newbie at Linux and am attempting to access Gnome CVS from my
business network.  Unfortunately, I can only access the internet through a
proxy server.  The server has the ability to listen on any port number for any
protocol, but I cannot seem to get the cvs program to go through the proxy.

If there is anyone out there who can help me solve this little problem, I
would be elated at the offer of information.

One more little niggly bit . . . When I attempt to use Netscape to access an
ftp site over port 21, Netscape gives me the error that the port has been
disabled due to security reasons.  How can I get this back?  Also, relating to
cvs, how do I force all command line network applications to use the proxy?

Thank you . ..

Michael Chajkowski
OS/2 User extraordinaire
Linux newbie extraordinaire

------------------------------

From: Mark Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:25:19 +0000

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I mentioned that, but I also mentioned that you don't even want to think
> about doing that with /usr/local/netpbm... or a few others that are not

It should be possible to automate making the links, how easy it is depends
on if there are non executables in the same directory.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School

------------------------------

From: "SCSI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: YET ANOTHER REASON TO -=GO SCSI=-!!!  (was Re: How to use a scanner with
RedHat 5.1?)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners,comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:56:26 GMT

According to http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-mustek.5.html , your
parallel port scanner isn't supported by SANE-mustek.

SANE supports mainly SCSI scanners, yet another reason to go SCSI!

I visited the SANE website before I purchased my scanner, because I like
all my hardware to be Linux compliant.  WinHardware is not good! :->

Vesa Keto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Eero Aleksander Pikat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wierd Errors - utmp, samba/Win98, lost files, bad times
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:15:46 GMT

(Thank You in advance for any suggestions....)

OK, so I'm getting a slew of wierd errors that I think are somewhat
related:

1.) utmp and wtmp files messed up (finger produces : no one is logged in)
2.) all new files (including the said utmp and wtmp) files are
created with tomorrow's day, and the amount of time since I logged in.
So, for instance, if today were 12/29/98, and I log on and
        touch abc.txt
After I ls -al, I see    abc.txt   30 Dec 00:09

3.) nfs daemon rpc.mountd disappeared. I had to reinstall the RPM.
4.) Windows 98 networking soesn't work with Samba (This may be unrelated).
Win98 connects to Win95 and NT, Samaba connects to win95 and winnt, but
98/Samba don't mix. Either way: net use x: myhost\\service fails,
as does smbclient '\\98mach\\c' -U username

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.
Please mail me a response.

or something. I have two machines with the same problem. Both have been up
for over 35 days, but a reboot didn't help. They both, at one time, were
cold stopped and started, but no major fsck errors. But they worked then.
(Both running RedHat 5.1 - One's a generic clone, the other's an IBM
NetFinity 3000 SCSI 300/4.5gig/128mb)

-- EAP.
        The worst computer virus of all is downloadable stupidity.
Eero Aleksander Pikat
http://sushi.uchicago.edu/~e-pikat
Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1,
over the leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall
...nothing but Net.

------------------------------

From: Antonio Milillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Specs for SONY CPD 1704S 17" monitor
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:21:37 +1100

Hello

I have a 17" Sony monitor, Trinitron tube, Multiscan HG monitor, part
number CPD 1704S. I have looked in vain to try and find the specs for
this monitor, to configure XF86Config.

Does anyone have these specs?

Regards

------------------------------

From: Antonio Milillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ghost / Drive Image functionality under Linux
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:45:17 +1100

How can I make copies of whole partitions (of any OS, ie bit for bit),
and then restore them? I believe that dd will read from files, but I
don't know how to read an entire partition.

The DOS programs Ghost and Drive Image give you this functionality.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Orchard V. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:06:57 -0400

TODAY was released pre1!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribi=F3:

--
Mat=EDas Orchard V.

ICQ: 460589

why reboot? use Linux.
Red Hat 5.2 ~ kernel 2.0.36 ~ KDE 1.0

------------------------------

From: "R.A. Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware screen clear on logout
Date: 28 Dec 1998 13:35:51 PST

>     Is their a way to make Slackware clear
> it's screen efficiently such as is done in RedHat
> when the exit or logout command is issued?

        Sure -
        In your .logout file put the command:  clear

        r.a.wilson

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which company uses linux as main o/s
Date: 29 Dec 1998 11:01:48 -0800

Search for "Examples" in this page of Gary's Encyclopedia:

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/promotion.html

------------------------------

From: "SCSI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2,  using SANE
(Redhat 5.2 Linux)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.graphics.apps.gimp,linux.samba
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:02:12 GMT

How do I get SANE on my Linux workstation to be configured to use my UMAX
Astra 610s over the network when it is being served by the UMAX Scan
Manager v1.2 (part of VistaScan v3.1)?

THIS TOPIC HAS STUMPED ME FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW, AND THE SANE
DOCUMENTATION SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THIS.

How can it be done?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: Re: Infringement of the GPL
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:03:19 GMT

On 29 Dec 1998 01:43:58 -0800, Michael Powe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Steve, I'm thankful there are many programmers that do not agree with
>your ideas; it is only because of them that I am able to do what I am
>doing now.  Without free software, there would be no WWW such as we
>know it.  It would be the private domain of the well-heeled who could
>afford to pay for it.  There'd be no linux as we know it; there'd be
>no usenet.  It's the repudiation of that pay-and-pay-and-pay mentality
>that enables us to even have this conversation.  When I wanted to
>study Scheme or SmallTalk, they made it possible for me to do so --
>since I would not have had the necessary hundreds of dollars to invest
>in books and software.
>
>I humbly suggest that the next time you're feeling lousy about your
>job, you take a look around and see all the many people who are worse
>off.  At least you have within your power to give back something to
>the software community that benefits you so much.  If only you would
>do so.

I'd love to spend all my time writing free software.  Are you offering
to support me and my family while I do it, suggesting that I should
live in a cardboard box, or suggesting that I should be content to
spend just a few hours a week writing software that I care about while
wasting the rest of my time making a living?

You seem to think that I am some sort of Bill Gates Junior.  NOT.  I
am just a guy who is addicted to writing interesting code, who has to
pay bills along the way.

I am going to make a new posting in a few minutes that may interest
you, or may not.  Feel free to slam or flame me.  The subject of the
post will be "help me choose license".  Do or don't.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Installing Slackware 3.6 on a system running Windows NT 4.0
Date: 30 Dec 1998 01:52:52 GMT

In article <pfei2.686$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mike burrell wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Michel Catudal  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>mike burrell wrote:

>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> afaik, the kernel on the slackware bootdisk does NOT have ntfs support
>>> compiled in, which means you will NOT be able to mount the ntfs drive
>>>
>>> what i recommend you DO do is get someone (i'm sure anyone on here would be
>>> nice enough to do it) to make you a new bootdisk, with ntfs support compiled
>>> in (along with any other specific hardware needs you have)
>>>
>>> anyway, once this new kernel is loaded, you should be able to use the
>>> slackware rootdisk as normal, except now you have ntfs support
>>>

>>I thought that ntfs support is read only. I compiled the kernel
>>2.2.0 this afternoon and noticed that. What is the fstab command
>>to recognize my ntfs partition?
>
>read-write ntfs support is in 2.1 (2.3 yet?)
>and putting something like this:
>/dev/hda5 /nt-drive ntfs defaults 1 1
>should work in your fstab

The read/write option is still considered very alpha.  I've successfully
trashed 3 ntfs partitions with it.  Luckily I backed-up everything
before hand.

--
Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr. KG9ME
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Skjöldebrand)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:21:24 GMT

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:37:33 +0000, Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>One of the benefits of using a system like Linux is that you can usually
>get software is packaged format as well as in a vanilla tarball.

The operative word here is "usually". Some are only distributed as
tarballs.

>There is nothing that requires you to use glint. Use rpm at the command
>prompt instead - or xrpm if you *must* have a GUI.

Of course I could use the command prompt instead. But what if I like
GUIs and I don't like xrpm either =)?
And why cant package managers handle tarballs as well as rpms? Eh?

M.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Some X Windows apps not running
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:05:22 +0100

It was the 29 Dec 1998 01:01:37 -0800, Michael Powe...
..and <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The second thing is, if you kill the X server immediately after trying
> to run one of these mystery programs, you'll see error messages on the
> console screen that may give you clues as to what happened.

At least my distro (SuSE 5.3) tees all the X messages into a file called
~/.X.err . Probably, yours do too.

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:41:29 +0100

It was the 28 Dec 1998 23:34:39 -0600, Steve Mading...
..and <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Victor Danilchenko ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Egoism:             export DEITY=`whoami`
> : Deism:              export DEITY=/dev/null
>
> That should be: export DEITY=/bin/init
> (Diety just exists for the sake of getting the universe started, and
> setting some operational things in place, and thereafter it just sits
> back and waits for its grand work to finish, not interferring.)

That's not true.
Init takes care of killing zombies.

mawa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: spreadsheet?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:06:05 +0100

It was the Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:20:57 GMT, John Overton...
..and <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the note.  Where?  I just checked news.answers, searching for
> 'spread' and did'nt find anything related.  Can you point me somewhere
> else?

I think one big FAQ repository is at <URL: ftp://rtfm.ox.ac.uk>.

mawa