From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How To Slow Down System Clock
Date: 1 Jan 1999 03:47:01 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eddie
Atherton) writes:

>I noticed that my date/time was slowly drifting.

>After running a few experiments I determined that my System clock is
>gaining about 40 seconds a day. My Hardware clock gains about 4
>seconds a day.

Run xntpd, the Network Time Protocol Daemon. It will query some time
standard boxes, determine that you clock is running fast and put in a
slew algorithm to keep it up to date. It will also query the time
servers every so often to keep you clock to millisecond accuracy.
Or you could issue an rdate command every so often to a machine you knew
to have a good time keeping to reset your clock (does not have the
slewing algorithm however.)

 xntpd comes with redhat 5.x

------------------------------

From: "Krasselt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Am I stupid or am I stupid. PPP. ALMOST!!!
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:07:54 +0100

Try to insert into the ppp options file (etc/ppp/options) file "user
<username>".

Sergei Gerasenko schrieb in Nachricht <766d1l$22g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've been working on this problem for 4 days already. I've had three nights
>when I went to bed at 8 a.m.! Here is the problem. I bought a RedHat
>distribution of Linux (kernel 2.2.32) a week ago and decided to install it
>on my notebook (NEC VERSA 4000). Of course, the first thing I wanted to
work
>was PPP (I have a PCMCIA modem). My modem was successfully recognized and I
>didn't have any problems with that. But I was concerned about PPP support.
>At first I thought that it wasn't built in  the kernel because the PPP
>registration lines wouldn't show up at boot up. So, I recompiled the kernel
>with the support built in. For some reason other features got messed up and
>I decided to switch back to the old kernel. (You must notice here that all
>that was going on during the Christmas time when everybody was drinking
>booze and having fun). Luckily, it turned out that the old kernel had PPP
in
>modules. With great relief I edited all the scripts (PPP-on and
>ppp-on-dialer). Of course they didn't work right away, but ultimately I
>successfully passed the login-password phase. I'm sure that I send right
>connection established" and I also looked through the log line by line.
>Nothing suspicious. "Serial connection established" was about the only
>encouraging line in the whole log. Then comes the following:
>
>connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2 (pretty lively too:-)
>channel ppp0 closing (Oh, oh!)
>hangup (SIGHUP)
>modem hangup
>connection terminated
>exit
>
>    I have read a whole bunch of readme's on PPP. Nothing describes SIGHUP
>in a detailed way. There was a short description of that in PPP-HOWTO, but
>it didn't help. I have looked through old postings dated all the way back
>1997 and found nothing similar.
>    The PPP service also starts O.K. according to the log. I have tried
>minicom. The same thing. I get to the point when I enter my credentials,
get
>the garbage, exit the program without resetting the modem, type
>#pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS2 38400 & and it goes no further. Something
>disconnects the modem all the time. My PPP is 2.2.0, so I'm safe there. No
>other errors. I'm in despair and about to get on an anti-depressant.
Anybody

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:29:07 -0800

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:07:25 -0800, Dennis McGrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Normally I do, but occasionally they ask for a email response. It's a pain
>dealing with the anti-spamming addressing. What we need is to have a
>government with the balls enough to do something about it.

        People who send out mail should just have a clue, or better
        software, such that when they mail people (as opposed to posting
        public messges) people can easily respond...

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eddie Atherton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:03:08 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jan 1999 00:00:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Eddie Atherton) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I noticed that my date/time was slowly drifting.

-- snip --

Thanks to all who resonded (FAST !!!!!).

I'll take a look at some of the suggestions.

Thanks again.

-Cheers,

Eddie

Remove ONYERBIKE to e-mail me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Console display problems when logged in as root
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 03:53:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred Smith) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : A serious problem with ncurses programs has recently developed on my Linux
> : box.
>
> : Whenever I use a program that uses ncurses when I'm logged in as root on a
> : VT, many characters, such as the horizontal and vertical bars, are
> : incorrectly displayed and the screen is as a result badly corrupted, nearly
> : to the point where it is unreadable.  I stress that this only happens when I
> : am logged in as root and only when I am on a VT, not in an xterm.  Does
> : anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this and what may be done to
> : fix it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am running Red Hat 5.1 on
> : a Dell PPro 200.
>
> Having just installed RH5.2 I noticed that root gets his own set of
> terminfo database files, and that the 'linux' terminal description in
> root's database is different than the one in the main database. Might
> this be your problem?

Where exactly did you find them?  I can only find one copy of the terminfo
database (in /usr/share/terminfo).

> I was wondering if that was a bug, or a feature? :^)
>
> Fred
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
>                       The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
>                     keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
> ----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv)-----------------------------

-Bradford Hovinen

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Besr dual boot w/ Windows?
Date: 31 Dec 1998 20:18:19 PST

I'm setting up a new system with Win 95/98 (undecided) and Linux.  I want to
find the simplest, cheapest, most flexible, and most convenient boot
manager.  I have Partition Magic 3, and it works great.  However, it won't
support my new Fat32 partitions, and I don't know how full its Linux support
is.  So, to get its full benefit, I'd have to upgrade to V. 4, which costs
money.  I especially like how PM's boot manager works:  it boots into the
last system used, unless you select something else.  This eliminates a step,
so I can flick my machine on, and go make coffee, or check the mail, and
return to have it ready to go to work.  Will a free, Linux boot manager do
this?  How do I deal with how Windows overwrites the MBR?  It would also be
nice to be able to resize or change partitions later, in both Windows and
Linux.  Does PM 4 do this?  Should I spend money on the upgrade, or is there
a free, Linux answer to my needs?

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: Marc Bourgeois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree386
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:24:59 -0600

When I start XFree386 it will start with a screen resolution of 320x204
annothing i do in xf86config seems to fix it. I have a STB velocity 128
Video card. Does anyone know exactly what settings I should use?

------------------------------

From: "b.klimas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: pl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: good office package for linux
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 05:24:31 GMT

"Peter T. Caffin" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Christian Huebner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > David wrote:
> >> Applixware is a great office suite.  The recommend 32M.
> >> Thomas F. Ewald wrote in message
> >> <01be2d20$90bf1d80$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > Applixware is not quite my favourite. Try Star Office.
>
> I haven't tried Applixware yet. Next priority :).
>
> > Its free for personal use and it can fully replace M$ Office.
> > It also is much more reliable than M$ Office
>
> The 'minimum' RAM required for Star Office 5.0 is 32M (I've tried 16M with
> swap.. forget it) but it apparently likes 48M and up.
>
> Word Perfect 8 is running nicely on this machine with 16M, however, it
> doesn't have the full quota of utilities, file filters, etc. It's great as
> a general word processor tho :).

Word perfect is great. For a spreadsheet, you may try xesslite
(shareware,  http://www.ais.com/  ). Impressive and powerful.
I also heard that Wingz is very good, although I personally
never tried it. Gnumeric (part of GNOME) seems to be
worth watching, but it yet lacks most advanced features.

Happy New Year.

b.k.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: Re: help me choose license
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 05:39:10 GMT

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:06:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The most important thing you would have to do, though, is provide support.
>You would need to put up a web page, run a mailing list, and probably a cvs
>repository.

The web page is easy.  I have no clue what running a mailing list
involves, and don't know what a cvs repository is (cvs?)

My current thinking is (a) don't release anything at all until the
functionality is more or less complete, to avoid any premature forks,
(b) release it as free code for non-commercial use, possibly with the
GNU "virus" attached re derivative works, (c) sell proprietary
licenses to those who want to use it for commercial purposes.  I'm
still fuzzy on the issue of "an unrestricted non-exclusive license"
for patch inclusion, but I think that I get the gist of it...  I'm
still in brain-stirring mode and haven't made any definite decisions
yet, but this is the direction I'm leaning.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: Re: Infringement of the GPL
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 05:39:02 GMT

On 31 Dec 1998 00:56:46 -0500, David Steuber
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Destrius) writes:
>
>-> Do authors of computer guide books make enough money? If they do, then
>-> there really is no reason not to go GPL if your program is popular enough.
>
>It is quite rare to make a living by writing books.  Most book authors
>have jobs.  Sometimes they are consultants, but that is still a job.

Actually I think a lot of book authors are professional writers... I
spent about 3 years as a tech writer for IBM (and learned a lot) but
as I recall, out of about 75 writers, there were usually at least a
dozen writing a book on the side.  Kind of like programmers cranking
out shareware in their spare time, on a slightly different wavelength.

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 31 Dec 1998 21:45:06 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury)
Subject: Re: Can't get mt to move tape past first filemark on RH 5.2 i
Date: 1 Jan 1999 01:36:15 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dale Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all, I'm trying to recover from a HD failure on my Linux RH Intel
>box but I can't get mt to move the tape past the first file mark.
>
>I was running RH 5.0 and after the HD died decided to upgrade to RH
>5.2  The tape I want to restore from was working ok under RH 5.0
>using the command:
>mt -f /dev/nftape fsf 0
>tar xvf /dev/ftape
>would copy the tar file from the first file mark on the tape then
>running:
>mt -f /dev/nftape fsf 1
>tar xvf /dev/ftape
>would copy the next.
>
>When I try the same command now with RH 5.2 the first tar file copies
>ok but after running the second mt command I get a repeat of the
>first.  Another words I can't get mt to move the tape past the first
>tar file.
>
>Tried another tape that was working ok before and same result now, can
>only copy the first tar file on the tape.
>
>Anybody else using mt and ftape with RH 5.2?  Any suggestions?

        Suggestions:
                mt -f /dev/nftape fsf 0 #OK, but why? this is same as rewind
                tar xvf /dev/ftape      #use the "nftape" device name again!

                mt -f /dev/nftape fsf 1 #now unnecessary
                tar xvf /dev/ftape      #should work and then rewind.

I more simply use:
                mt rewind               #position tape
                tar xzvvf /dev/nmt0     #first file
                tar xzvvf /dev/nmt0     #second file

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 06:21:20 GMT

In article <76bl7r$g6j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith) wrote:
> Brian Hurt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darwin Ouyang) writes:
> >
> >>So to collide, you'd have to both have identical MAC addresses, identical
> >>time stamps, and happen to generate the same hash.
> >
> >Or all the differences have to cancel out (i.e. you're unlucky).
>
> The first poster is slightly confused.  There is no hashing.  A UUID
> contains the MAC address, a timestamp, and a sequence number.

My mistake. Sorry.

> There is no practical chance of a collision.

That was my point.

Darwin Ouyang

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 1 Jan 1999 06:38:00 GMT

(edit)

> Don't email to people who munge addresses. (edit)

I endorse this sentiment. I frequently reply to questions by
E-mail only to subsequently receive an " undeliverable " message,
even though I try to decipher a "proper" E-mail address.

This is extremely irritating. I now commonly do not bother
to help a poster who does not provide a "proper" E-mail
address. Oftentimes, the question is of the  " been- asked- a-
thousand- times- already " variety.

--
Howard Mann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Griffin Caprio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: parport/ppa problem with 2.2.0pre1
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 01:36:46 -0600

Jens Kristian Søgaard wrote:

> Griffin Caprio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I can't even get my printer to work under 2.2.0pre1.  It works fine in
> > 2.0.36, but not in the newer kernels.  I tried to switch from lp1 to lp0
> > and it still doesn't work.  Any tips?
>
> Try putting something like this in your /etc/conf.modules:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> options lp parport=0
>
> I've set the option to lp back to 0, as I suppose you only have only
> parallel port ( and thats the one the printer is connected to ). I'm
> not sure if it's needed -- but anyways...
>
> I ofcourse assume you have a normal PC parallelport.

The weird thing is I can cat to it, just not with lpr.  maybe I need a newer
distro of lpr?!?

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: New HD -- Partitioning question
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:44:19 -0500

Beware!

I used Partition Magic 4.0 to both move and resize the extended partition
containing all my Linux logical partitions on a hard drive with both Win 98
and
Linux.   Both Win 98 and Linux continued to boot and operate satisfactorally
after this operation, however when I attempted to upgrade to a later version
of Linux I found that fdisk would not recognize the extended partition.

Tech support at Partition Magic blamed it on Linux (what else would you
expect)
and I ended up copying all my Linux data files over to the Win 98 partition,
then
deleting the entire Linux extended partition and installing the new version
of
Linux from scratch.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

------------------------------

From: jkmccool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to config Red Hat Linux as a DNS server?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 06:54:24 +0000

Liqiong Li wrote:

> I am posting to ask if someone know if it is possible to config Red Hat
> Linux(5.2) as a DNS server. I think it should, but I can not find the
> related document.
> Your help will be very much appreciated!
> -Li

  Install the Diald package, read the howto.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mike dombrowski)
Subject: Box turned off
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:17:39 GMT

Hello LinuxPeople!

Yesterday I came home and tired to logon to my Linux box. I couldn't
because my mom had turned it off at the logon promt. Now when I boot
it is says that the fs wasn't cleanly unmounted. How do I fix this?

Thanks
Mike Dombrowski