Linux-Misc Digest #426, Volume #26               Wed, 29 Nov 00 19:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: dd over ethernet (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Packer for Linux and Windows (Robert Kiesling)
  group opinions ("Luke Richards")
  Re: Cdrecord. (Paul Lew)
  Re: group opinions ("Jan Schaumann")
  Re: Rage 128 Problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Question on user accounts (RV)
  Re: netscape6 with qt-support (Dirk Groeneveld)
  Re: E-mail client ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: passwd protect runlevel 1 ("Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS")
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: root password changed, need help (James Silverton)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: login problems ("J.R. Tietsort")
  Re: multiple IDE-adapters (milanuk)
  Gnome and KDE ("GC")
  Re: Gnome and KDE ("GC")
  Re: Packer for Linux and Windows ("Garry Knight")
  Re: ls --color ("Garry Knight")

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: dd over ethernet
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:21:04 GMT

Mandrake 7 User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Specifically, I have a small HD in my laptop and lots of free partitions
> on my desktop.  They have network cards and I have successfully
> transferred files between them.  However, for a complete backup I
> want to just dump the whole laptop hard disk onto the backup hard disk
> in the desktop.
>
> In fact, right now I *must* back up this way since I can't access the
> linux partition on the laptop at all.  Maybe partition table
> corruption.  So the backup prog to do the above should run from floppy.

Get the nc (NetCat) program. This sends its stdin to a network connection.

On your laptop do something like this:

cat /dev/hda | nc other.host 4567

On the other machine, do

nc -l 4567 > hda_from_laptop

Check out nc's manpage since I am not sure if I got the switches right.

Vilmos

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Packer for Linux and Windows
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:24:08 GMT

John Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:45:29 +0100, "David Feller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> said:
>
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Does anyone know a good packer that works under Linux and Windows and can be
> >>controlled from the command-line?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>David
> >>
> I think you're SOL.  The Packers cant even control the line of
> scrimmage let alone the command line:-)

That reminds me of the old joke that they score by putting
cheerleaders in the end zone.

:)

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: "Luke Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: group opinions
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:32:39 -0000

Hi all,

I am a student at Uni and I am doing a disertation on the future of Linux.

Do you think that Linux will surpass microsoft.

Will the majority of users only ever be admins and techys or will it broaden
into homes of the average user.

To what extent do you feel Linux reach and what do you think ultimatly will
it never reach.

Will the community continue to develop the software with regards to the OS
and the applications and for free.

I would like to hear your opinions on this subject. I do ask that they are
constructive comments and not just another chance to slag of microsoft for
what they are and are not.

Luke Richards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.periph.cdrom
Subject: Re: Cdrecord.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:44:47 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Federico Baraldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Paul Lew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Did you specify the device (e.g. /dev/scd1) when doing mkisofs?
>
>Well ... actually I tried to burn cd with this command:
>
>cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -isosize /dev/scd1
>
>where /dev/scd1 is my DVD player. So I bypass mkisofs command.
>
>> If you had used cdrecord 1.9, then I found that version required it when I
>first
>> used it (at least with my system).
>
>Do you think I shold try making a cd iso-image and then triying to burn
>from the iso-image and not diretcly from my cd-player ??

The man page for cdrecord has -dao for "disk at once" mode for "MMC" drives
but don't know if that would work without an image; the man says one can
record without images but it looks like it was for audio tracks that are
on the harddrive.

Haven't really heard nor seen any docs regarding direct copying from a
cd to cdr; perhaps in later updates but for now, suggest creating an
image file first.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: group opinions
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:47:27 -0500

* "Luke Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a student at Uni and I am doing a disertation on the future of
> Linux.

For many many completely biased opinions, please aks the same question in
comp.os.linux.advocacy
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
comp.os.os2.advocacy
comp.sys.mac.advocacy
comp.sys.net-computer.advocacy
comp.unix.advocacy

Please do NOT discuss this in this NG (fup2 aola)

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

I'm used to seeing people promoted ahead of me -- friends, co-workers,
Tibor.  I never thought it'd be my own wife.            -- Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Rage 128 Problems
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:51:36 GMT

Michael Ramirez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's my first post, so don't tear me apart too bad...

> I'm trying to enable my AIW 128 for Open GL support under Linux-Mandrake
> 7.1 . I've tried following the instructions on
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~distclai/rage128-howto.html,
> but I still cannot get Mandrake to load the rage128.o module. Has anyone
> got OpenGL to work under a rage128,

Yes.

> and if so, HOW?

Human sacrifice...  ;-)

> I've included the output of "lsmod", although I'm not sure if it'll be
> helpful or not.
> Thanks-

<snip>

What happens when you try to manually load the r128.o kernel module?  Does it
complain?  Does it load?  When you start XFree86 (which version, BTW?) does
it say that Direct Rendering is Enabled or Disabled?

> System: Linux-Mandrake 7.1, 2.2.15 Kernel, All-In-Wonder 128, 448 MB SDRAM, Athlon
>750

AGP or PCI?  PCI support sucks at the moment (though Kevin Martin, one of the
authors of the DRI code, said he plans on working on PCI gart support this
weekend)...

Anyway, drop me an e-mail and I'll help you out.

Adam

------------------------------

From: RV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question on user accounts
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:46:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> RV wrote:
> >
> > Hello list:
> >
> > Is there a way to modify user accounts thru the command line? I
would
> > like to be able to telnet to my box to change users' groups. Is this
> > possible?
>
> Sure if you are good with sed, I guess. But are you sure you want to
> monkey around with telnet instead of ssh? Anyone can sniff anything
> that goes through there in either direction. You gotta be superuser to
> do most anything with /etc/passwd, /etc/group and especially
> /etc/shadow, so they can sniff your superuser password. Once they have
> that, they own your machine.
>
> --
>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
> ^^-^^ 2:30pm up 3 days, 21:58, 2 users, load average: 2.05, 2.08, 2.08

Yes, you are right. I should configure ssh on my system. I'm just to
busy at the moment working on other projects. Thanks, Ron.

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape6 with qt-support
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:51:15 +0100

spicerun wrote:
> Dirk Groeneveld wrote:
[mozilla m18 with dynamic qt (--with-qt) doesn't work]

> > I'm trying --with-static-qt right now, but i'm not very confident...
> Please let me know.  What are you using to compile it?  I am using
> gcc-2.95.2 with bintools-2.10.

Well, the build succeeded...
All I get is segmentation faults, but maybe that's my fault, I messed with
it.

I'm using the same tools. Unfortunately I have lost my original ./configure
line. I'm just retrying it.

Dirk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:55:04 -0500
Subject: Re: E-mail client

In <YBaV5.11036$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 11/29/00
   at 04:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards) said:

>>I need a good email client for X11. What should i use? and why?

>what: rxvt -e mutt

> why: because I said so, that's why!
>
> www.mutt.org

Trying to install it, I get an error when I run it about not finding a
mailbox. However, if I create a mailbox using mkdir, it complains that
that isn't a mailbox. Fine. Nothing in the documentation I've found so far
indicates what it wants for a mailbox and/or where.

How do I create a mailbox?

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: "Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: passwd protect runlevel 1
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:33:29 -0600

> Sure to work, but just one thing: if you forget your Lilo password and
> the super-user password, how do you get in? Surely you do not write
> them down because that is a serious security violation right there!
I keep root and BIOS passwords in a vault  in a lock box which is not a
security violation.  If you break it this root passwords are the least of my
problems.

> Do you open the box, make BIOS forget your password, then reboot into
> BIOS setup and enable booting from floppy or CD-ROM? Then enter
> run-level 1 and fix /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow as appropriate? Kind-of
> rough on the hardware challenged. And the bad guy could do that too.
Opening up cases takes time and if you lock the case with a lock it takes
longer. By then someone will be in the room to find out what is wrong with
the server
> Remember, we are running Linux here, so we do not boot all that often.
> Those of us with poor short and medium term memories have to write a
> lot of stuff down already.
>
> It seems to me that anyone dumb enough to break into my house is a
> bungling idiot since he should be burgling someplace with more
> valuable stuff than I own.
I agree, but I was thinking more Office than home

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:47:46 -0500

> You might start by offering some artwork to the people at Mandrake. Nice
> OS. Terrible artwork.

Do you know how receptive they are to this sort of thing? I came here first
because I wanted to get a feel for your reaction in general, I think I got
away fairly unscathed. I'm not worse for wear. But how do I do it? Do I just
send along pics? or maybe set up a website they can check out?

BTW, I agree, I run Mandrake and by far it has been the easiest to set up. I
even managed to set up my network yesterday (however briefly before I
managed to break it once more =) *sigh*)

Fred.

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password changed, need help
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:50:35 -0500

Jan Schaumann wrote:

> * Bulent Sarinc wrote:
> > i didnt give it to anybody
> >
> > i have been hacked probably
> > damn those hackers
>
> Dude, if you've been hacked it won't help just changing the root-password. You
> gotta take the machine off the net, wipe it, re-install, make it secure and
> only then hook it up again.

It is probably no consolation to you but you were not "hacked" you were
"cracked".

Jim.

--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:55:57 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> I think have a problem with you attitude.  Somebody thinks a bunch of
> Linux artwork sucks, and offers to improve it.  So why do you have to
> flame him?

Wrong.

What I noted was that he thinks the contents of a splash screen
seriously enhances or debilitates the performance of a system.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

> > Does the contents of the splash-screen file effect the system in ANY
> > way?
>
> > A) yes
> > B) NO!
>
> As you succinctly point out, splash screens (and icon design,
> backdrops, etc etc) have little bearing on the technical qualities of
> a system, they are only aestethic.

Exactly.  He was saying the the whole system is crap based
on the splash screen.

> Personally, I really like aesthetics, as long as they don't get in my
> way.  I don't see why I should have a sucky splash screen if I could
> have a nice one.  I secretly enjoy my co-worker's envious grunts when
> they compare my slick Linux desktop with their crummy windows one.

I don't see why any SANE person would write off a reliable,
efficient, highly productive operating system on the basis
of a splash screen.

> If you don't want blur's icons or splash screens, fine!  But please
> quit whining and ranting against people who want to do volunteer work
> and contribute it to the community.

I'm just commenting on his contention that a splash screen that
doesn't align with *his* taste somehow nullifies ALL of the
advantages of Linux.   This is EXTREMELY short-sighted.

By the way, the sketches look like they were snagged from the
source of the illustrations from O'Reilly's books ( http://www.ora.com/ )

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "J.R. Tietsort" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: login problems
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:03:51 -0700

"Greg Varnadoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I cannot login as root on my Linux box at home

<snip>

> If I clear the root password (single user mode, edit /etc/passwd), when I
> try to login as root I am still prompted for the root password.

Just hit your enter key again.....

------------------------------

From: milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: multiple IDE-adapters
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:53:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DualIP) wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:51:23 GMT, Miguel De Buf
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I am putting together a linux server with 6 disks.  I plan installing
> >two extra IDE-cards (PCI), so I would have 6 IDE controllers.
> 6 controllers?
> Onboard are 2 IDE controllers , capable of hooking up total 4 HDs
> You only need one extra standard IDE controller to hookup 6

Yes, but I think that you kill the performance (and take some chances)
if you have more than one drive per IDE channel.  So the two onboard
controllers equal two drives.  He needs two more controllers, each
supporting two drives each (assuming two channels per card)

> For each HD on it's own IDE string you need to add 4 controllers
>
> There are boards out there that do hardware raid on IDE disk.
> I'd  go that way , and check linux support prior to purchase
>
> DualIP

Check around some more.  Those boards require drivers not supported
under Linux AFAIK.  Ther's little to no gain from what I hear over a
regular IDE controller card, since you have to do it all w/ software
raid any way.

Monte

--
There are basically three kinds of men.  There
are the ones who learn by reading.  Then there are

From: "GC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome and KDE
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:46:04 -0600

i'm very new to linux, so i don't nkow mucha bout the GUI enviroments or
anything. well, i heard things about KDE, Gnome and X11. i was wondering
could software that ran in one of these environments run on the other?

also, are there any opinions on what is better and more stable? KDE, Gnome
or X11? or any other environments? thanks

------------------------------

From: "GC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:48:26 -0600

oh yeah... the system i'm installing on is a p166 64mb RAM

news:mvgV5.4711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:04:57 +0000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Feller wrote:

>> Does anyone know a good packer that works under Linux and Windows and
>> can be controlled from the command-line?

> What's a packer? Do you mean something like zip/unzip?

Or gzip/gunzip, or bzip2/bunzip2, or compress/uncompress. Or, by
"packer" did you mean something like tar?

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ls --color
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:04:57 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "LuisMiguel Figueiredo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm using debian 2.2 and i tried everything to put some colors on ls.
> The  only sucess i had was as root. As normal user i have to type
>
> alias ls="ls --color" on the console
>
> i doesn't work on .bashrc nor .profile

Did you try the following?
  alias ls='ls --color=always'