Linux-Misc Digest #975, Volume #18               Wed, 10 Feb 99 15:13:14 EST

Contents:
  Re: what's the difference between desktop/window-manager (Ben Russo)
  Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: Linux InstallFest -- DC -- 20 Feb 99 (Ben Russo)
  Re: Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows? ("D. Vrabel")
  creating a bootable CD (Peter Stein)
  Re: Opinions about LyX? (Richard Robinson)
  Re: Please,Help me whit tcl/tc...! (Wallace Barnes III)
  StarOffice 5 (Frank Hale)
  Re: logging in with your thumb (humor) (Gregory S. Lyons)
  RedHat 5.2: Error installing by ftp ("Albert Want")
  What is on this floppy? (Michael Talbot-Wilson)
  Linux on a Sparc (Tadpole) (Paul Hovnanian)
  Re: NetWare for Linux (Troels Arvin)
  interesting web page against LINUX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NetWare for Linux ("Kevin D. Snodgrass")
  Re: Trouble Starting X with correct resolution POST2 ("Michael M Murphree")
  Re: Simple text processor (Tim Laursen)
  scripts or program to build kernels (Laszlo Vecsey)
  From the Dell Web Page (Edward Nather)
  Re: How to change default group? (NF Stevens)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Jim Lewis)
  MCSE Preparation Materials ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Getting JPEG dimensions (Tim)
  Re: Help configure cron (Ben Russo)

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what's the difference between desktop/window-manager
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:02:36 -0500

Chetan Ahuja wrote:

> for the desktop but I have been getting confusing messages about what
> exactly is the relationship/differences between a "Desktop" like KDE
> and a "windows manager" like windowmaker. In particular,  Is it possible

Imagine an X monitor with just a mouse cursor and an Xterm open in it.
The window manager just "decorates" X applications with a title
bar, and might give you buttons on the title bar that let you resize
the X app or close it, iconize it or de-iconize it, and move it.

This is a window-manager.  There is actually a specific set of things
that an X window manager has to be able to do. These are specified
in the X11R<x> (release number) specs.

An X-server is just a video card driver and mouse cursor controller
that has an X api for X applications to communicate with.
It is possible to set up an X-server and an X-app with NO-WINDOW-MANAGER
at all.  This has extremely little functionality, because you have no
way to move/resize/(de)iconize/open/close your X-apps unless they have
that function built in (for example you type "exit" at the shell in
an Xterm and it will close). But it does come in handy, for example
I have set up WWW "appliances" that just have an open Netscape window
maximized.  If you close Netscape it just restarts it ==endless loop==.
No command line makes this WWW appliance rather secure.

A "desktop" (AFAIK) doesn't really have a technical definition like
a window-manager does.  Usually desktops have "extra" features that
make using a window manager easier.  An icon based launcher bar
like windowmaker has is an example of the extra feature.  A pager
(allowing you to switch between different "desktops") is another
example.  Like Win95 KDE allows you to create icons on the desktop
that can launch applications, or be links to files.  KDE allows you
to associate file types (like *.html or *.gif) with applications
like netscape or gimp.  KDE has a built in File Manager (Very nice)
that can launch a "helper" app based on the type of file you are looking
at.  KDE also has a "START" bar like Win95 and allows multiple desktops
like NORTON-Desktop-Commander for Windows or CDE for UN*X.

Desktop managers are beginning to support Drag-n-Drop and may someday
have a CORBA engine that handles OLE-like functionality for applications
that conform to the particular Desktop Manager engine.

> to run windowmaker ON TOP OF KDE ( if such a thing makes any sense).
> If yes, what are the advantages/drawbacks to such an approach....
> Pointers to web pages which explain this in fair detail will also be appreciated.

KDE actually consists of many parts a Window Manager with special
extensions is one of those parts.  You would not want to run WindowMaker
on top of KDE.

If you want to try KDE all you have to do is install a few binary
rpms. (there are lots of different ones, but you only *have* to have
the basic ones.)

kdebase
kdelibs
kdeadmin
kdesupport

And the qt lib:

qt

These have version numbers after the name like most rpms, but they
are changing frequently right now there is KDE-1.0 and KDE-1.1
I think the latest qt libs are 1.42.

Try www.kde.org

After you install these RPMs with "rpm -Uvh"
then look through the "startx" script and the /etc/X11/xinit/*
stuff and any /home/<your-name>/.[xX]  files to see how your
X-windows system is initializing itself.

If you are a programmer this should be pretty easy for you.
You can then modify those config files and scripts to call:
/opt/kde/bin/startkde

Try it, if you don't like it go back to Window-Maker.

I tried Gnome a few months ago, and maybe things have changed a lot,
but Gnome was completely unstable.

I used WindowMaker for a while, but I *REALLY* like KDE!

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: 10 Feb 1999 01:08:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christian Aasland wrote:

>Stefan Lucke wrote:
>
>> Did you try other FSB clock rates?
>> With my K6-2 400 it is impossible to compile the kernel with FSB 100MHz

Might be a bad CPU, I'm running 100MHz FSB on a K6-2 300 using an Asus P5-A
and have compiled the 2.2.0-pre5, 6, 7 kernels a couple times without
trouble.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams
"The mystery boy has gone to war, in the fields of death you'll find him."

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: dc.general
Subject: Re: Linux InstallFest -- DC -- 20 Feb 99
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:19:36 -0500

klaatu wrote:

> David Lesher wrote:
> >        <---Excerpt...>
> >
> > Come to the DC-LUG/NOVALUG InstallFest and prove that *your*
> > OS does not need Internet Explorer to work!
> >
> >       <---Excerpt...>
> >
> > <http://www.tux.org/fest> has all the details. No subpoena
> > needed.....
>

> Tres cute! But aren't you hitting the law of diminishing returns yet? Seems to
> me that everyone with the intelligence to see the need for a free open-source
> operating system, complete with source code and compiler, has already got a
> Linux box, while everyone who doesn't see the need is working for or selling
> to the DC government and could not be pursuaded to give up their Windows3.1 or
> NT machines if you stuck a gun to their head and buried them in gold pieces.
>  <---Excerpt...>

Not so.  I work in a large company, and there are lots of DBA's and
Programmers and application administrators that work with software
on commercial UN*X's.  These individuals may know boatloads about
programming, but just enough of the OS specific things like file i/o
and network i/o to get by.

When I hear/see them getting frustrated with their flaky, instable,
unpredictable MS WinXX  PC, (many of them have had Sun or IRIX
workstations in the past).  I suggest that they try LINUX.

Almost all of them know what Linux is, namely a free UNIX for PC's.
But they don't know squat about partitions and MBR's and
/etc/printcap<s>  and /etc/resolv.conf<s> and some of them don't
know a thing about DNS servers or IP networks or netmasks.

However I offer to set them up with an old 400MB second IDE hard-drive
that has RH5.2 and KDE set up to init-default level 5 and I set up
the networking and configure Netscape and Xterm Icons for them.
I set up a Gimp Icon. I install plugger-3.0 and xanim and mtv and
such. I enable dir-color and create an Icon on their desk for
"helptool".  I configure their printers and set up SMBA shares for
them.

There are now 8-9 people in my office who eschew their NT/95 PC
except for when they are sent some bloated document in a proprietary
MS-Office format.  These newbie users *LOVE* their stable reliable
predictable documented open OS!!!

Linux can be on the desktop.  WinXX is actually harder to install and
configure, it's just that most people get their WinXX machine with
the OS preinstalled.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows?
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:13:01 +0000

On 9 Feb 1999, Andy Repton wrote:

> I should add that it is possible to screw your monitor with
> xvidtune, BE CAREFUL!
If you monitor specs ( horizntal sync rate and vertical refresh rate) have
been entered then xvidtune won't let you go beyond those limits.

David.
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: creating a bootable CD
Date: 9 Feb 1999 22:40:31 GMT

I've scoured the ftp archives for a HOWTO and searched the WWW, but can't
find any reference to a procedure for creating a bootable Linux CD. I
have found procedures for other OSes, but not Linux. If you have info
please send email. Thanks.

Peter Stein

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Robinson)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Opinions about LyX?
Date: 9 Feb 1999 20:34:30 -0000

In article <79g5m0$fkc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Magda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Robinson) writes:
>
>[...]
>>The last time I looked at it, it wasn't capable of importing latex files,
>>which makes it a bit 'all or nothing'. You can export latex out of it,
>>though.
>
>It does as of 1.0.0. Which is now.

Richard Robinson

I don't want to receive UCE :- remove 'x' to reply.

------------------------------

From: Wallace Barnes III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please,Help me whit tcl/tc...!
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:39:59 GMT

TCL is a language used primarily to automate usage of interactive programs
such as telnet and ftp. It also has X windows commands which allow for
construction of X interfaces (widgets) making your tcl "scripts" easier for
users to work with.
TK is a toolkit of tcl "scripts" which can be used in standalone situations
(in some cases) or with scripts you build.

Wally
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Remove nospam to reply)

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice 5
Date: 9 Feb 1999 22:53:18 GMT

I am trying to setup a POP3 account in StarOffice 5 and it tells me my
username has illegal characters. My username is in the form of my email
address and it won't let me use it. It is choking on the @ symbol in the
username. Why is it telling me this? Netscape has no problem with it.

Anyone else had the same problem?

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

"Microsoft, Just Say No"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:15:18 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory S. Lyons)
Subject: Re: logging in with your thumb (humor)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 21:58:21 -0500 , Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am sick of Loonix, username and password, all the time...
>
>I want to be able to stick my thumb on a thumb-sensitive device
>
>and log in that way, and I won't ever have to worry about someone
>
>sniffing my password.
>
>he, he, :-) ,
>
>Just think what a priviledge it would be to have the root-thumb :-) .

look to the bottom of...

http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/insites/inside_track/it_p.htm

------------------------------

From: "Albert Want" <al-want@#--remove--#usa.net>
Subject: RedHat 5.2: Error installing by ftp
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:22:13 -0000

When I try to install RedHat 5.2 from an ftp site, I always get this error:

    - comp: error while setting the remote site in passive mode

Does anyone know what is the problem ? Thanks in advance.

PS: Answer in mail too... (removing #--remove--#)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:56:51 +1030
From: Michael Talbot-Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is on this floppy?

Hi.  Does anyone know of a program that will look at a floppy and
make some guesses as to whether or what file system is on it?  One
can cat the device and see what it looks like, or try to untar and
see if it works, but I guess this could be automated.

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on a Sparc (Tadpole)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:56:55 GMT

I (we) have a stack of Tadpole "SparcBooks" which are notebook
computers with Sparc-compatible processors, running SunOS 4.1.2.

These are no longer supported by the vendor, who recommends that
we upgrade for $$. The above OS is not guaranteed to be Y2K compliant,
so we may end up tossing them.

Is anyone familiar with these things? Would it be possible to
run Linux for a sparc on them (they are binary compatible with
an old Sparc 1+ we used to have)? The display hardware appears to
be some sort of VGA-compatible LCD with a 640x480 VGA output. They
have built-in ethernet, modem and parallel port.

Although technology has long sinbce passed these by, loading them with
linux would seem to be the only alternative to tossing them out.

Anyone familiar with these things? Please e-mail me, our news-server
doesn't keep a large backlog.

--
Paul Hovnanian (here)    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
               (there)   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Troels Arvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: NetWare for Linux
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:13:45 +0100

Steve D. Perkins wrote:
> Caldera offers RPM's for it's own
> OpenLinux distribution as well as RedHat 5.1.  This unnerves me a bit,
> as I am running RedHat 5.2...
I have no experience with Caldera's software. But the differences
between RH 5.1 and 5.2 are so small that it shouldn't be a problem.

>     Does anyone know if RedHat distributions are "backwards-compatible"
> with their RPM's?
In most cases, yes. - Especially if you have the "libc" package
installed. About the libc-package:

$ rpm -qi libc
Name        : libc                         Distribution: Apollo
Version     : 5.3.12                       Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 28                           Build Date: tor 05 nov 1998 06:24:21 CET
Install date: fre 25 dec 1998 22:35:08 CET Build Host: porky.redhat.com
Group       : Libraries                    Source RPM: libc-5.3.12-28.src.rpm
Size        : 5385504                      License: distributable
Packager    : Red Hat Software <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Summary     : Compability libraries for old libc.so.5 applications
Description :
Older Linux systems (including all Red Hat Linux releases between 2.0
and 4.2, inclusive) were based on libc 5. This package includes these
libraries and other libraries based on libc 5, allowing old applcications
to run on glibc (libc 6) based systems.

> I assume that trying to install *that* RPM would be a
> VERY bad idea!
If downgrading the kernel is _really_ required (most probably
isn't), then I will consider Caldera's product a bad hack.

--
Troels Arvin
Copenhagen, Denmark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: interesting web page against LINUX
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:46:18 GMT

This day, i read an article written by  Mr Daniel Martin in a magazine
dedicated to computers.

Mr Martin was with no doubt against the use of Linux by companies.
As i wanted to know more about his free afirmations , i decided to surf on his
web pages.

I think he is not impartial and i advise other people who trust in Linux power
to look at Matin's pages [ http://worldserver2.oleane.com/dmartin/linux.htm ].

L. Guichard

From: "Kevin D. Snodgrass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:29:12 -0600

Steve D. Perkins wrote:
>     Does anyone know if RedHat distributions are "backwards-compatible"
> with their RPM's?  I would imagine that for the most part it wouldn't be

One of the beautiful things about the Redhat Package Manager
system is it will check dependencies for you.  If you are
trying to install a new RPM and you haven't rpm-installed
the necessary support files rpm won't let you install the
new one.  rpm keeps a database of installed rpms (type 'rpm
-qa|less' or similar to see them all) but, of course, can't
keep track of installed tarballs and the like.

> an issue... but one of the RPM's is a "patch" to bring the kernel up to
> version 2.0.35, when I belive RedHat 5.2 is already running kernel
> version 2.0.36.  I assume that trying to install *that* RPM would be a
> VERY bad idea!

And rpm won't let you unless you use the --force option.

>     Last but not least, I'm hoping that someone reading these newsgroups
> has had some exposure to Caldera's NetWare for Linux... I'm wondering if
> it's anything like the version of NetWare 4.x designed to run on top of
> OS/2.  That is... a main feature of using it being that you can use the
> machine as both a server and a client/workstation, and in effect "login
> to yourself".  This would be nice for some of the
> playing/practicing/experimentation that I'd like to do.

While I haven't gotten around to installing it yet that is
my understanding.  Your Linux box will still be a Linux box
but it runs a series of daemons that respond to IPX/NCP
packets as would a NW4.10b server.  You can still access
your Linux box as you would normally, either at the console
or via normal *nix type methods (NFS, rpc, tty, etc...).

FYI, Caldera recently released a couple of patches.  From
what I read (yesterday or day before) there have been quite
a few downloads and lots of people installing the 3 user
version.  That high useage has shown some bugs in the
original distro.

--
Kevin D. Snodgrass              | Money in Washington (D.C.)
                                | is like honey to bears,
Spam-proofed email address,     | they can't keep their paws
intelligent beings will adjust. | off of it. - Steve Forbes

------------------------------

From: "Michael M Murphree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.warez.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Trouble Starting X with correct resolution POST2
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:46:15 -0500

If I understand correctly, what you refer to as the "black screen" is the
command line, from which you start Xwindows with the 'startx' command.  Try
running 'Xconfigurator', which should leave you with several resolutions to
choose from in Xwindowing mode.

Michael

------------------------------

From: Tim Laursen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simple text processor
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:18:15 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am looking for a small and simple text processor for Linux to write letters
> and small documents with a minimal set of formatting options like underline,
> bold, paragraph numbering and table of contents.
>
> Perhaps for XFree, but perhaps something on the level of WordPerfect 4.x (of
> which there used to be a Unix version).

You can get a free trial version of Word Perfect 8, from Word Perfect's
web page, but I wouldn't use the terms "small" or "minimal" about it.

Otherwise you can get LyX from http://www.lyx.org. Paragraph numbering,
ToC and cross references is what it is about at the very core, so you'll
NOT miss those features. It goes fairly easy on the memory consumption,
even though it has quite a few more bells and whistles than you are
asking for. It takes quite a bit of getting used to, as it is not a word
processor as such, but rather a front end to the text formatting program
LaTeX (actually an add on to TeX, but never mind that). Once you get the
hang of it, you'll love it. And a bit of advice: Reading a bit about
LaTeX will make it easier to get to grips with LyX.

--

  (\        Best regards,        /)
-||||8-          Tim          -8||||-

------------------------------

From: Laszlo Vecsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scripts or program to build kernels
Date: 29 Jan 1999 04:45:39 GMT

Just curious if theres a known program or set of scripts available for fetching
the latest kernel versions, compiling with .config's and even setting up lilo entries
so things are set to boot when the need arises to try out a new kernel. Moves all the
kernel
compile time to the early morning too, automated and out of the way.

I thought I'd ask before reinventing the wheel here, however small it might be. A more
general utility might
even be useful, for dealing with other packages and version numbering schemes, etc.

--
-Laz.

------------------------------

From: Edward Nather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: From the Dell Web Page
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:47:08 -0600

Dell and Red Hat Linux
As a value-added service for our customers, Dell offers
installation of Linux at your request through our DellPlus
Server Integration program on select configurations of
PowerEdgeŽ servers. Pre-installation can save you up to
2 hours of loading time. Support for Linux is offered via
online information and through Red Hat as outlined below.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: How to change default group?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 23:22:36 GMT

David Fontes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Say I have several users that are all in the same group as defined by
>the /etc/group file, but they are all also in their own individual
>groups. How do I make it so that when one of these users creates a file,
>the file is given the main group designation, and not the individual's
>group designation?
>
>To clarify, I create a new file and it is listed as follows:
>
>-rw-rw-r--   1 dfontes  dfontes         5 Feb  9 20:51 test
>
>I want to create a new file that instead will be
>
>-rw-rw-r--   1 dfontes  mmi             5 Feb  9 20:51 test
>
>I know how to change the group designation after the fact, what I want
>to do is change what my default group would be.

newgrp mmi

(before creating the file) Check the man page for details.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Lewis)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:17:19 GMT

"Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
>>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
>>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
>That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.
>
>Boris

Thank you Boris.  Always a mature, common sense approach, and
informative, helpful insights.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup;,alt.linux;
Subject: MCSE Preparation Materials
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:05:17 GMT

I have a variety of MCSE study materials (CBT) and exam preparation tests
available for sale, $20 US each. Email me for list and information.

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting JPEG dimensions
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:51:47 -0600

I am looking for a tool that reports
the dimensions of a JPEG. I don't
what view it, or see it, I just want
to know the width and height.

I see a LOT of tools when I search
for JPEG and linux, but they don't tell
me if they have this feature.

Anybody know of one?

thanks,

tim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(remove -spam- from header)

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help configure cron
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:20:16 -0500

Lee Allen wrote:

> I've got a real basic question about configuring cron.  I am using Caldera
> Linux 1.2, with the 2.0.33 kernel.
>
> /etc/crontab as shipped by Caldera contains lots of nifty cleanup stuff.
> But I don't think they are actually running.
>
> After reading the man pages for cron and crontab, I think I am supposed
> to....
> "crontab -u root -l" to see the cron table for entries that are schedule to
> be run as root (there aren't any)
> "crontab -u root /etc/crontab" to 'load' the entries from /etc/crontab into
> the cron table
>
> After doing these steps, and then running the first command again to see
> what is in the cron table... I don't think it's right.  All of the comment
> entries in the /etc/crontab file appear in the crontab output.
>
> Am I missing something?  Or did I do it right, and crontab preserves the
> comments?
>
> -Lee Allen

crontab does preserve the comments.  The comments are good things.