Linux-Misc Digest #978, Volume #18               Wed, 10 Feb 99 23:13:15 EST

Contents:
  Re: compiling kernel 2.2.0 ("Michael Ferguson")
  Re: Linux maximum O/S limits???? (Ben Russo)
  Re: printing problem: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops (Ken Witherow)
  Re: Compressed filesystem in Linux ? (Like doublespace) ("Wadels")
  Re: Cursor color (Ben Russo)
  Re: Handing a socket to an already running process???  How??? (Ben Russo)
  Re: kernel too big? ("David A. Frantz")
  Re: StarOffice 5 (Ben Russo)
  Re: UPS restores power after system is halted; will it boot? (Mike Thomas)
  Re: ld problems on Debian... (Donn Miller)
  Re: scripts or program to build kernels ("David Z. Maze")
  LILO password in Mandrake ("Greg Searle")
  Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows? (PG)
  Re: From RedHat to Slackware (Michael Powe)
  Re: world's smallest webserver (Michael Powe)
  Oracle Compile err 8.0.5 Debian Linux - libctl.so needed (Jack Varga)
  StarOffice 5.0 install problem (Bow-Yaw Wang)
  Re: Single mode startup (Darren Greer)
  Single mode startup (Robert Means)
  Re: X Apps via Telnet ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  WAS 3.02 for Linux question (Minh Giang)
  Errors Compiling 2.1.43 Kernel (Patrick Lanphier)
  Panic: Bad VFAT

From: "Michael Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: compiling kernel 2.2.0
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:08:30 -0700

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux maximum O/S limits????
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:28:53 -0500

David Sisk wrote:

> Quick question:
>
> Where would I find info on Linux maximum limits, such as:
>
> 1)  Max memory accessible to the O/S (for example, on NT, it's essentially 4
> Gb).

1024MB in pre 2.1.12?  kernels and 1024MB of Swap space in 128MB pieces
2GB in 2.2.x kernels + 2GB of Swap space in 128MB pieces

> 2)  Max memory accessible to an O/S process (on NT, it's 2Gb, on NT-Ent it's
> 3Gb).

You can use as much as you have free for a process if a hard ulimit
isn't set.

The rest I don't know off hand, but if you look through the kernel
source code
it isn't hard to figure out.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Ken Witherow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing problem: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
Date: 11 Feb 1999 01:28:43 GMT

"G. Pollack" wrote:

> I've just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.1 (on a RedHat 5.1/686 system).
> Using RedHat's printtool, ascii text prints fine, but postscript does
> not. It produces the following message on the page:
> Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
>                                                   (148) op_array(586)
> 0x819a4b8 : E
> (and perhaps some more that's gone off the page?)

Do you have it set to 8 bit b/w?

------------------------------

From: "Wadels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compressed filesystem in Linux ? (Like doublespace)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:31:28 GMT

I don't know about a compressed filesystem, but a while back when I was
looking there was something similar: zlibc. With zlibc, you could gzip
individual files, and whenever they would be accessed in any way, they would
automatically be uncompressed. So it's more like NT 4's compression, less
like Win3.1's and 95's. Of course, it is not too hard to gzip every file in
a directory. Files accessed in bootup should not be compressed.

<79p43c$s8g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cursor color
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:32:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I run RedHat V5.2.  Fvwm2 and xterm, rxvt desktops.
> Befor upgrading from V5.0 I had my cursor set to bright red block.
> Now I can't find the file to edit to change it.
> Anyone have any idea where to look ?
> Warren

Check out /home/<your-User-Name>/.Xdefaults
read the man page for Xterm and rxvt.

Cursor color is an option.
You can set it on the command line,
or in .Xdefaults

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Handing a socket to an already running process???  How???
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:38:24 -0500

David Sisk wrote:

> Say you've got a listener/dispatcher type process running (let's say an http
> server, just for familiarity's sake), and 10 "work" processes (let's say
> these are processes that are already started and already connected to a
> database, for instance).
>
> A request (say from a browser, again for familiarity's sake) appears to the
> dispatcher process (http listener), it *hands* that request to one of the
> already running work processes, and the work process then establishes a
> socket connection to the browser.  (This way you avoid the time delay and
> overhead of having to start a process, connect to a database, run a query,
> then disconnect and die for each browser request, in the normal CGI manner.)
> The dispatcher process probably talks to the work processes through pipes or
> FIFO's (probably simplest).  The work process spits info back at the browser
> rather than the listener process.  I've seen an article somewhere once that
> talked about doing something like this with CGI to avoid massive overhead
> from starting/connecting/disconnecting/stopping by lots of users.
>
> I've seen code examples to fork a new process and take the socket info with
> it.  I'm having difficulty finding any examples that show how to hand-off a
> socket connection request from a listener process to an already running work
> process.
>
> So:
>
> 1)  Does anyone know of a good book that has some understandable
> explanations and examples in C to do this?  (My C programming skills aren't
> that great, but I'm working on it.)
> 2)  Are there any examples on the web?
> 3)  Does Apache do anything similar to this by any chance?  (Or would that
> code be too darned difficult to look at for a simple example?)

Read the LPG.  A great book that I like (beginner level)
is "Beginning Linux Programming" by Wrox Press authors Neil Matthew and
Richard Stones

When a process is forked it is an identical copy of the parent, the only
thing different
is the PID.

So it already has all the Sockets that the parent had...

What you need to do is in the parent process before the fork you check
the
PID.

Then you fork.  Now you have to IDENTICAL processes.  The next step is
check the PID again and if a process notes a change in the PID then that
process knows it is the child.  The process that sees no change in the
PID knows that it is the parent.  That's it.

The parent would then close off it's sockets.  The child would keep it
and
start "spitting" stuff.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel too big?
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:29:04 -0500

Mark;

l ran into the same problem late last night, while I did change some of the
default items the too large kernel came as a surprise.   One thing I'd like
to know is how does the Build process determine if the kernel is to large?
The other thing I'm wondering about is why the limit in the first place?

If anybody has pointers to an explanation of the hows and whys of this
limitation a pointer would be very helpful.    The problem I have is that
modern hardware and optimizing compilers seem to be at odds with this size
limit.   Comments?

Dave

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice 5
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:49:40 -0500

Frank Hale wrote:

> I am trying to setup a POP3 account in StarOffice 5 and it tells me my
> username has illegal characters. My username is in the form of my email
> address and it won't let me use it. It is choking on the @ symbol in the
> username. Why is it telling me this? Netscape has no problem with it.
>
> Anyone else had the same problem?
>
> --
> From:      Frank Hale
> Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ:       7205161
> Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/
>
> "Microsoft, Just Say No"

Your user name is the part before the "@"
the Mail domain name is the part after the "@".

@ is an illegal character in user names for SMTP
e-mail.

Netscape probably wrote code to ignore what you typed in
and just snip off the part after the "@" sign.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Mike Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UPS restores power after system is halted; will it boot?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:36:21 -0500

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Anthony Christofides
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >The problem is that I halt the machine and I _don't_ unplug it; just after the
> >system has been halted, but before the battery goes out, the electric company
> >restores the power. The UPS thus never "unplugs" the system.
>
> If the machine is halted, then it needs a reset to restart it (eg power
> off and on, or a signal on the reset line). If your UPS can deliver that
> fine. If not, I guess it is up to you.

APC's UPSes have a feature that allows you to turn the UPS off from the
linux box. When power goes out the UPS signals the linux box to
shutdown. When the linux box is about to shut down, it sends a signal to
the UPS telling it to shut itself off. The UPS has a built in delay
before it actually powers down to allow the linux box to do its
shutdown. In the APC Back-UPS series, this time is fixed at 3 minutes I
think. In the Back-UPS Pro versions you can set this timeout to several
values (using DIP switches I believe).

Cheers,

        ...Mike

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ld problems on Debian...
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:14:02 -0500

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:

> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Actually, it may be a problem with my libraries...  here's me compiling
> >a test program, "test.c":
>
> You don't provide much information that might be helpful in tracking this
> problem down.

It's OK now;  I reinstalled all the development stuff, like binutils, bin86,
gcc, glibc*, etc., and the problems went away.

Donn

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scripts or program to build kernels
Date: 10 Feb 1999 21:21:57 -0500

Laszlo Vecsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
LV> Just curious if theres a known program or set of scripts available
LV> for fetching the latest kernel versions, compiling with .config's
LV> and even setting up lilo entries so things are set to boot when
LV> the need arises to try out a new kernel. Moves all the kernel
LV> compile time to the early morning too, automated and out of the
LV> way.

If you're on a Debian system, you can install the kernel-package
package.  Necessary steps here are:

-- Download and unpack the kernel source yourself (sorry).
-- Copy in your old .config, if appropriate.
-- Make *config.
-- Run make-kpkg (via at if you want, although it does demand some
   interactive input).

The net result is a set of Debian packages containing the kernel
source, documentation, C header files, and a binary package that, when
installed, drops the kernel image and modules in the correct place and
optionally runs LILO for you.  If you don't like the new kernel, you
can get rid of it with dpkg.

--
David Maze             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: LILO password in Mandrake
From: "Greg Searle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:03:42 -0700

My first time using Linux.  I installed Mandrake and get where I'm asked for
my login and password.  During setup I remember giving a password, but never
a login.  Probably a dumb question, but how are you supposed to login?  I
can't figure this one out.  Help me if you can please.  Thanks,

Greg Searle

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:59:40 +0000
From: PG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows?

So I added 1152x864 at 16 bit Color to the XF86Config mode line. It
works *but* the desktop is way<--- to the left on the  screen. Not even
the monitor controls manage to drag it back rightward enough. What-up? I
can cycle through every other resolution just fine (the screen's a
little dim at the lowest resolution).

I'm guessing I need to specify on-screen coordinates somewhere in the
XF86Config file? Any experts out there?

PG

--
By LINUX, on LINUX, through LINUX.

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: From RedHat to Slackware
Date: 10 Feb 1999 18:45:59 -0800

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: world's smallest webserver
Date: 10 Feb 1999 18:52:51 -0800

------------------------------

From: Jack Varga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.oracle.misc,linux.debian.users,comp.linux.questions,comp.database.oracle
Subject: Oracle Compile err 8.0.5 Debian Linux - libctl.so needed
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:53:59 -0700

==============09BD8881D491E7F4C3A05D5E

Installing 8.0.5 on Debain Linux x86 (kernel 2.0.34)
Getting the following while building Intelligent Agent...

Error during action 'Making Oracle Intelligent Agent (target=install)'.

Command:  make -f ins_oemagent.mk install

chmod 755 /opt/oracle/bin
Building client shared library libclntsh.so
Call script /opt/oracle/bin/genclntsh ...
/opt/oracle/bin/genclntsh
Built /opt/oracle/lib/libclntsh.so ... DONE
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libtcl.so',needed by `dbsnmp'.
Stop.

Is this a lib Debian is missing and Red Hat has possibly?

TIA,

Jack Varga
==============09BD8881D491E7F4C3A05D5E

begin:vcard
n:Varga;Jack
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Frankie's Blue Room
adr:;;;Lafayette;Colorado;80026;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note;quoted-printable:=0D=0Aswag  v. Science of database administration.  n.
Scientific wild ass guess.=0D=0A=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
tel;work:303.450.5536
fn:Varga, Jack
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bow-Yaw Wang)
Subject: StarOffice 5.0 install problem
Date: 10 Feb 1999 03:23:42 GMT

Hi,

I try to install StarOffice 5.0 on my Debian 2.0-based Linux box.
But whenever I execute setup at office50_inst/, the program
shows "setup: Window manager didn't set icon sizes - using default."
and quits. Could someone tell me what's wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Yaw

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Greer)
Subject: Re: Single mode startup
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:07:52 GMT

At the lilo boot enter

linux single

or maybe linux -single

I dont remember which.

HTH

Darren

On 11 Feb 1999 02:54:37 GMT, Robert Means <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

-->Howdy,
-->     Stupid question. I set my run level to 5 (I think). Anyway, I set
-->the level to the xdm start level. I guess my X prefs are messed up and I
-->just keep getting the server trying to start up ad nauseum... Anyway, how
-->do I start up at a lower run level to change my inittab? I think it is
-->called starting in single user mode. Any help would be great.
-->Bob
-->[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: X Apps via Telnet
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:56:06 -0500

I strongly suggest using VNC.  It can be had from www.orl.co.uk/vnc.

I just downloaded and installed it today and it works and it works
great!  The best thing is that it can be used to display Windows screens
on Linux and Linux screens on Windows.  Setup is a piece of cake. The
only problem I had was that it was looking for a font directory that I
didn't have installed.  I removed that directory from the vncserver
script and it's been working perfectly.  I also reset the default colour
depth from 8 to 16.

Been using it for several hours both on my WAN at work and my 2 PC LAN
at home and it is fantastic.  Ran the gimp, Applix and WordPerfect with
no glitches from my Win98 box.

The vncviewer and vncserver scripts take care of all the dirty work for
you.  All you have to do is run them.

Sounds like it's just what you need.  Best thing is that it's free!

HTH
Don

--
======================================
Donald E. Stidwell, RM1, USN (Ret.)

------------------------------

From: Minh Giang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WAS 3.02 for Linux question
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:12:19 -0500

Hi,

I just installed Oracle's Web Application Server for Linux with no
probem.  I started the web broker with owsctl start wrb...no problem
here.  But when I issue owsctl start admin....the listener for the admin
page.. it just hangs...

the port for web broker is 2649.
and the admin port is 8888.

All the environment is set under user oracle like
ORACLE_HOME
ORAWEB_HOME
..

Anyone has any success with WAS 3.02 for linux??

Oracle 8.05 is running and I just upgrade the Red Hat 5.2 OS to Linux
2.2.1

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Minh

------------------------------

From: Patrick Lanphier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Errors Compiling 2.1.43 Kernel
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:40:06 +0000

I am running a 2.2 kernel, however, I would like to go back and
compile a 2.1.43 kernel so that I can patch it with mlppp.  It's not as
easy as I'd hoped the 2.1.43 source errors out on the following lines,
any help would be
appreciated (gcc 2.7.2.3):

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/mm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/mm'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make all_targets
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-f
rame-pointer -D__SMP__ -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=2
-malign-
jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686 -D__SMP__  -c -o checksum.o
checksum.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__SMP__
-traditional
-c semaphore.S -o semaphore.o
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__SMP__
-traditional
-c locks.S -o locks.o
/tmp/cca24704.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cca24704.s:65: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruction
/tmp/cca24704.s:68: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruction
make[2]: *** [locks.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Thank you for your time,
Patrick Lanphier
Advanced Information Technologies
The Pennsylvania State University

------------------------------

From: nonet@chain ()
Subject: Panic: Bad VFAT
Date: 10 Feb 1999 03:29:42 GMT

Hi,

  I've had a few errors lately with a mounted VFAT.  It sometimes gets thrown into
read-only mode.  Then, I booted up and got a message: "panic"  (so I did), "Bad VFAT",
(to which I said, 'Bad VFAT, down, boy, down.  Bad VFAT.')

  Is there a tool for curing this?  I would like to try a Linux-based utility first,
and then see what chkdsk has to day.

Thanks,

nonet