From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Input/output error with Tape Drive
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 07:21:57 -0500

Jeff Borders wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Mandrake 7.1 w/ 2.2.18pre15 kernel.  I have a Sony DDS2 SDT-7000 and
> Adaptec 2910 SCSI Card.  The tape drive is the only scsi device and it
> has termination enabled.  I've loaded all the modules needed.  The
> problem is this:
>
> Whenever I try to use mt -f /dev/st0 status, I get:
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes.  Density code 0x0 (default).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (10000):
> IM_REP_EN
>
> Whenever I try any other mt command, ie.  mt -f /dev/st0 rewind, I get:
>
> /dev/st0:  Input/output error
>
> Any ideas?  TIA... -Jeff Borders

Not really, except that your status looks a bit different than mine. (Adaptec
2940/HP35480A). With no tape in drive, I get:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (4050000):
 WR_PROT DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

With tape inserted (write protected), I get:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (45010000):
 BOT WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Just a wild guess, but it looks like there might be a breakdown in communication
'tween drive and controller.  Hopefully, someone with a working combination
identical to yours will chime in.

--
Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
                -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982

  6:54am  up 10 days, 10:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Elena Miele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: old P133 - Cluster?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 12:44:17 GMT

About to change P133 tp PIII

What to do  of the old machine?
First possibility is to leave it on network,
act as a firewall or other.

Then heard about Linux clustering.
Beowulf doesnt seem easy, but what about Mosix? No need to recompile
anything I run.
Somebody knows about so small clusters?

Thanks

        Alessandro Magni

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ok this was really stupid of me
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:54:18 +0200

Actually, I'm kinda embarrassed asking this question here. Just though
you should know.

For a while now, and for fun, I've been trying to master Linux, and been
reinstalling it like everytime I messed it up to badly. Now, this time,
I was pretty convinced everything would be working at its best, since I
now had partitioned my two harddrives into no less than FIVE Linux
partitions plus one swap. So, I'm in kind of a good mood, and again, for
fun, when I start the installation (of Redhat 6.2 btw) I choose Spanish
to be 'the language to be used during the installation process'.
Surprise: 'language used during...' means like 'underlying language'.
Everything that's been translated from English to Spanish is in Spanish.
And as I am Swedish, things are somewhat messed up...

Ok, things aren't really bad, it's not that I need the swedish
translations to be able to use to the OS, but my Spanish is a little
weak ;). I had Spanish for half a year in school. Yo me llamo Patrik. :)
But that's about it.

You might have figured out my question already. Not to be mistaken: I
know how to change the language of an X session, but that's not the
problem. Almost all terminal text is in Spanish. So, finally, my
question: is there a way to change to "underlying" language of Linux
without having to reinstall it?

Yours, Patrik

PS. It's not all bad. I've picked up lots of Spanish. Besides, it's a
beautiful language. :) DS.

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to install the C compiler?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:11:57 GMT

I have RedHat Linux 7.0.
I get an error when I type "make".  It says that "make" command cannot
be found because the C compiler may not have been installed.
Originally, I chose the custome installation, and it's possible that
I did not install the compiler.  How can I install the C compiler after
installation of the operating system?
Thanks.

==========

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cable modem, ethernet, and DHCP
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:18:15 GMT

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ok this was really stupid of me
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:55:38 -0000

  root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:54:18 +0200, wrote :

r> Actually, I'm kinda embarrassed asking this question here. Just though
r> you should know.
r>
r> For a while now, and for fun, I've been trying to master Linux, and been
r> reinstalling it like everytime I messed it up to badly. Now, this time,
r> I was pretty convinced everything would be working at its best, since I
r> now had partitioned my two harddrives into no less than FIVE Linux
r> partitions plus one swap. So, I'm in kind of a good mood, and again, for
r> fun, when I start the installation (of Redhat 6.2 btw) I choose Spanish
r> to be 'the language to be used during the installation process'.
r> Surprise: 'language used during...' means like 'underlying language'.
r> Everything that's been translated from English to Spanish is in Spanish.
r> And as I am Swedish, things are somewhat messed up...
r>
r> Ok, things aren't really bad, it's not that I need the swedish
r> translations to be able to use to the OS, but my Spanish is a little
r> weak ;). I had Spanish for half a year in school. Yo me llamo Patrik. :)
r> But that's about it.
r>
r> You might have figured out my question already. Not to be mistaken: I
r> know how to change the language of an X session, but that's not the
r> problem. Almost all terminal text is in Spanish. So, finally, my
r> question: is there a way to change to "underlying" language of Linux
r> without having to reinstall it?

I think so.  Try:

localedef swedish

or

localedef POSIX

r>
r> Yours, Patrik
r>
r> PS. It's not all bad. I've picked up lots of Spanish. Besides, it's a
r> beautiful language. :) DS.
r>
r>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: J00st <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to install the C compiler?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:57:20 GMT

Arctic Storm,

Your C compiler is probably allready installed. If you don't know where it
is, do a "which cc" or "which gcc" to find out where it is installed  (it
is probably somewhere under /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin).

Once you found out where it is, you can set a CC-variable to point to your
C compiler like this:

# export CC=/usr/bin/cc  or /usr/bin/gcc (which one you prefer).
Do a echo $CC to see if is actually set now.

If you haven't got it installed, you can either download it from
http://gcc.gnu.org/  or install thr rpm from your RH7 cd.

rpm -vhU /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS/gcc*

This will install all the gcc's on your CD.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

-Joost

Remove the "AT" from the emailaddress to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: gui cdcreation software
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:50:21 GMT

Hi!

Which CDCreation software is recommended here?

I now use Xcdroast and one detail annoys me,
when I wantto pick audio files I have to type
in the full path to each and everyone. i thought
there would be some way to just mouse-click them for
choosing them? Am I missing something?

Caj Zell

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:00:23 GMT

Hi Ray, thanks for your response.  I also tried using pump (with help from the
how-to) but I was unable to find the command in any of my directories.  I even
did a "find / -name pump" and found nothing.  Where can I get this utility?

------------------------------

From: J00st <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gui cdcreation software
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:08:51 GMT

This is from the CD-writing howto:

                       2.2 Get the user software for burning CD-Rs

                       A more detailed survey of tools related to
produce CD-ROMs is available from

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdb.html.

                       Command line utilities

                       One of the following packages are required to
generate images of CD-Rs (only required for data CD-ROMs):

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/mkisofs/ (mkisofs)

                            ftp://ftp.ge.ucl.ac.uk/pub/mkhfs (mkhybrid)

                       To write images to the CD-R, you need one of the
following software packages:

                            ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/
(cdrecord)

                            http://www.ping.de/sites/daneb/cdrdao.html
(cdrdao)

                            http://www.munich-vision.de/vcd/ (mkvcdfs)

                       Don't trust the man page of old versions of
mkisofs which state you need version 1.5 of cdwrite. Just use cdrecord
                       and you are fine. Please note that newer versions
of cdrecord ship with an enhanced version of mkisofs and some
                       extra tools in the subdirectory misc/ (readcd,
isosize) not found elsewhere.

                       Graphical user interfaces (optional)

                       Front-ends are really front-ends under Linux.
That means, you still have to install the command-line utilities,
                       but you access them in a better looking manner.

                       X-CD-Roast is a program package dedicated to easy
CD creation under Linux. It combines command line tools like
                       cdrecord and mkisofs into a nice graphical user
interface.

http://www.fh-muenchen.de/home/ze/rz/services/projects/xcdroast/e_overview.html

                       BurnIT is a JAVA front-end to cdrecord, mkisofs
and cdda2wav-0.95 making it a complete package for burning CDs
                       on the Unix platform. It is available from

                            http://sunsite.auc.dk/BurnIT/

                       CD-Tux is a character based frontend for the
programs mkisofs and cdrecord. "It creates an easy to use
                       enviroment for doing almost anything to a CD in
full color through the use of the (in)famous NCURSES Library.
                       And it does all this whith an executable of under
75K."

                            http://www.datadictator.co.za/cdtux/

Regards,

- Joost

Remove the "AT" from my emailaddress to reply

------------------------------

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lm_sensors - a little help?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:16:51 GMT

> That's all well and good, and most of it looks correct, except for
> the fan  speeds, and the fact that I have NO idea what in my box
> could POSSIBLY be +208  degrees celcius! (That's a tad above the
> point where sillicon starts to melt,  n'est pas?)

   On my hardware temp3 is my Voodoo3 card (45-50C), 208
indicates your temp3 is either misconfigured, or reading nothing.

> Currently, when I run the 'wmlm' application, it tells me that my
> CPU  temperature is +208oC - obviously inaccurate! I think my CPU
> temperature is the  temp2 value, and my motherboard temperature is
> the temp1 value(s) listed above.  I might be able to tweak the wmlm
> app to display these values correctly, but it  doesn't have a
> read-out of my fan RPM. (Since lm_sensors doesn't even appear to
> see these values correctly, I think I have to look there, first).

   First off, decent cpu heatsink/fans start at $5.  The indicated
41.5C for your cpu is on the high side.  Intel cpu's can be read
from an internal diode.  My p3-450 is oc'd to 608mhz, idles at
25C, never goes over 41C. Your reading is from a thermistor (?).
A reading from a probe is a guess at best, but even if the thermistor
is well placed between the core and heatsink, a general rule of thumb
is to add at least 10C to the probe reading to get the core temp.
So your core is most likely runnin at +52C.  That's too hot for even
an extreme load (like 'cpuburn')

   Unless you've got 3 wire fans plugged into a 3 prong connector
on your motherboard, you're not gonna get fan speeds. 3 wire cpu
fans are $2 up, 3 wire case fans about $8.

    Tom

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: shutdown vs halt
Date: 08 Oct 2000 05:37:12 -0800

"J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just a quick question about the shutdown and halt commands. I used to think
>that the shutdown command did a nice, clean shutdown, but that the halt
>command did just 'halt' the system, right there on the spot, just as surely
>and deadly as if I would have unplugged the power cable. No syncing of
>disks, no stopping of services, no nuttin.
>
>At least that is the way it works on some of the commercial *nix'es I have
>worked with so far. So how come the linux 'halt' does a nice, clean shutdown
>anyways? Something to do with the distribution I am running, which is
>Mandrake? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>

>Thanks.

Read the man page.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:48:33 GMT

http://Redhat.com aught to have a pump rpm.
also
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/XByName.html
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/

Tip:  to find a file try        locate exact_case_file_name_here
if it complains about the database, as root,    updatedb

Examples:   locate pump | grep -i bin
            locate onfi | grep bin/

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:00:23 GMT, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Ray, thanks for your response.  I also tried using pump (with help from the
>how-to) but I was unable to find the command in any of my directories.  I even
>did a "find / -name pump" and found nothing.  Where can I get this utility?

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.