Linux-Misc Digest #175, Volume #19               Thu, 25 Feb 99 12:13:13 EST

Contents:
  Re: Windows fonts on Linux? (John Garrison)
  Re: Hard disk duplication?? (Paul Sherwin)
  Re: Linux on a 486DX 33 ISA system (Edwin Johnson)
  Re: Should IBM port Visual Age for Java to Linux? (John Thompson)
  Problems installing RedHat from a hard disk with Win95 ("Ale")
  Re: Using LILO to boot Win95 of /dev/hdb1? (Mike Brown)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (John Thompson)
  Re: Booting without a keyboard (Shane Hultquist)
  Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? - quick advice needed, please!
(Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
  Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?) (BL)
  Re: linux + winpopup (Aschwin van der Woude)
  Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?) (Cooper)
  Re: Booting without a keyboard (Phil Snowdon)
  Linux on Acer (texas Instrument) Extensa 500T ("Paolo Colombini")
  Re: ICQJava Problems ("jas shultz")
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Steve O'Hara Smith)
  Re: CDPD wireless and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RH52 install hangs on SCSI detect ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support) (Christopher B. Browne)
  Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap? (Richard Rognlie)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (jedi)
  Re: Ls command (Patrick Paysant)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Zenin)

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows fonts on Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:15:25 GMT

I use a program called xfstt.  It doesn't convert the fonts it just
allows linux to read them.  Some you can get it from
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Hard disk duplication??
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:55:20 GMT

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:08:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:27:39 +0200, "Dion Burger"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to duplicate a hardisk image after the linux installation.
>>I need to set up multiple linux boxes (assume identical hardware). This will
>>save me hours of installation and configuration time.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Dion
>>
>I have been using Ghost in the lab I currently manage and it works
>pretty well.   I think it would be faster to create customized install
>scripts if possible (definitely can with slackware) which will allow
>you to install everything configured the way you want it.

The last time I used Ghost it had trouble with disks with > 1024
cylinders (i.e. > 8GB). It seems to use the BIOS for disk info.

Best regards, Paul
Paul Sherwin Consulting
22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone +44 (0)1865 721438
Fax +44 (0)1865 434331
Pager +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: Linux on a 486DX 33 ISA system
Date: 25 Feb 1999 14:22:58 GMT

You can find the 3.04 (latest of the 3x series of Netscape) under their
archives. The url to go there is:
http://home.netscape.com/download/archive/client_index2.html

...Edwin

On 25 Feb 1999 11:41:38 GMT, Walter Strong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Max Tulyev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Здраствуй, [EMAIL PROTECTED]!
>
>: At 20 Feb 99  18:29:13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to All:
>
>:  t> Your web page browser checker is broken.  It tags me as having
>:  t> 'netscape
>:  t> .36' when in fact I am running 4.5.
>:  t> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.0.36 i686)
>: BTW, is there Netscape 3.0 for Linux in the Net? 4.5 is large, slow and
>: buggy suxx, but I can't find 3.0 on any FTP/WWW site... :-(((
>
>You'll find Netscape 3.0 at any linux ftp that offers Monkey Linux.
>It'll be a tar.gz file under, I believe, a subfolder of Monkey called
>"packages".  Sunsite is where I found it before.  Here's a link that may
>or may not be out of date:
>
>ftp.spsselib.hiedu.cz/pub/linux/monkey/packages
>
>It is nice and quick on a smaller machine.

~   Edwin [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ~
~        http://www.prysm.net/~elj        ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Should IBM port Visual Age for Java to Linux?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:12:55 GMT

Steven Smolinski wrote:

> I like Java and all, but it runs...like...molasses....
>
> The people who keep telling me that "CPU speeds and cheap memory will make the
> difference between C/C++ apps and Java apps negligible" are either far too
> optimistic or are looking longer-range than is practical when considering
> buying software today (for a machine you're liable to have for a couple of
> years).

I'll agree that large apps like full-blown word processors
and office suites and such are unlikely to be usable for
Java for the forseeable future but small apps for specific
purposes are already quite usable.  Eg, I use a Java-based
app to configure and control my news server here.  It works
fine even on my 5x86/133.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Ale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problems installing RedHat from a hard disk with Win95
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:20:27 +0200

Hello,

I have downloaded all the RedHat 5.2 installation files onto a FAT16
partition
with only Windows95 installed.
I already made boot disk and supplementary disk as describe in HOW_TO.
Everything works fine including partioning of my HD.
When attempting to install RH from the first  harddrive partition I get an
err msg:
"Cannot open compnents file: No such file or directory".
Going to the system log (ALT+F4), there is a string of
<4>Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
<4>Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)

Anyone have an idea why I can't install using the above setup?

Thanks , Ale.

------------------------------

From: Mike Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using LILO to boot Win95 of /dev/hdb1?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:39:34 -0800

Joe,
        I just went thru this same sort of thing a month ago setting up a new
machine with three OSs.  In my case I was trying to get Win95, DOS, and
Linux.  I could get win95 and linux to boot no problem.  Both were on
sda1.  The problem came when trying to boot DOS off of sdb1.  Finally
found that adding the following lines in LILO I could get it to boot all
three OSs.

other = /dev/sdb1
   label = dos
   map-drive = 0x80           # make C: D:
     to = 0x81
   map-drive = 0x81           # make D: C:
     to = 0x80

This told the bios that sdb1 was really sda1.  Both win95 and DOS must
think they are booting off of the 1st drive (C:) in the system.  At
first this seemed to be the answer for me but  as it turned out it was a
crash-and-burn.  Being that I have a scsi system as soon as I loaded the
scsi device drivers on the DOS side when it rescaned the scsi devices it
reset the order to what they really were.  It would get part way thru
the config.sys file till it hit the scsi driver then it could not locate
any drives in the system after that.  This may not be a problem for you
with IDE drives.  Finally what I had to do was put both win95 and DOS on
the first physical drive and used Partition Magic to care of the
booting.
sda1 - win95  sda2 - dos  sda3 - linux
I beleive that if you put win95 and NT's boot loader on hda1 you could
have the bulk of NT on hdb.  Might be another way to go.

good luck,
        Mike

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:24:56 GMT

msb wrote:

> please post your 234 reasons why linux is better...
> tia,
> msb
>
> >   This fun to reply to. Maybe we dont have all those speacialized graphics
> > clogging up our memory, but when my software crash's, it the software. not
> > need to reboot whole system. If you want my 234 reasons why linux is better
> > than Winblows 98 just ask.

No.  Send them as email.  Or at least redirect it to
comp.os.linux.advocacy

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Shane Hultquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Booting without a keyboard
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:41:41 -0500

I guess in this case then, Linux wouldn`t be my answer.  I'll just use the crossover
between the two.  Thanks.  Now I'm off-topic so I'll head to another newsgroup.

Shane

Colin wrote:

> Shane Hultquist wrote:
> >
> > Is it better to have a hub to hook 2 computers to the linux box, or just extra
>NICs??
>
> If you're just hooking up two computers together, all you need is the two
> NIC for those two computers and a crossover cable.  Once you try and get
> three computers on your network, you must use a hub.
> --
> Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
Subject: Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? - quick advice needed, please!
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:23:25 GMT

In article <Ew8A2.5283$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.G. wrote:
Thanx for *any* input!

Hi
My  670C works great!!

--Raj

        Let me tonight look back at the span
                'Twixt dawn and dark & to my conscience say:
        "Because of some good act to beast or man,
                The world is better that I lived today."

                                        ---Ella Wheeler Wilcox

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?)
Date: 25 Feb 1999 14:45:29 GMT

: the only chips i hear of that can be is celeron but besides that.... the
: chip is not made to be over clocked..... if it was supposed to be over
: clocked it would RUN at THAT SPEED not 50-100 MHz slower

ever hear of "Marketing"?

do you think that simply marking numbers on a chip is enough for gullible
consumers to believe that that's all the chip was -designed- to do?

sometimes the markings are accurate (technically) and sometimes not.

don't accept blanket statements about o/c-ing.  it all depends on the
particular chip.  check the net first before taking such a hardline on the o/c
issue...  a lot of people can o/c the celeron, whereas other chips may
actually be at their marked limits.  it all depends.

------------------------------

From: Aschwin van der Woude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: linux + winpopup
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:52:13 +0000

Hi,

There's is a tool called Linpopup wich can send and receive popups. But
you still need samba offcourse.
Look at www.freshmeat.net

Greetz,

Aschwin

------------------------------

From: Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:50:31 -0100

Michael Creasy wrote:

> If this is the case can someone tell me why my K6-2 350 when overclocked
> to 400 crashes linux on boot, it has a huge fan on it.

Overclocking speeds up more than just the CPU. If the rest of your system such
as your memory can't cope, it still won't run.

Cooper
--
Linux: Proof of intelligent life on earth

------------------------------

From: Phil Snowdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:51:33 +0000

> Your (maybe) problem has nothing to do with keyboard.  My old 20MHz 386
> needs 4 minutes to uncompress the Debian default kernel.  It would
> improve if you use a smaller custom kernel.  If I am not mistaken, you
> need to give your machine more time not a keyboard.

With a keyboard it takes a few seconds to uncompress the kernel.  From
x86.org it _could_ be something to do with the A20 which is controlled
by the keyboard controller.  I'm guessing that only some motherboard
implementations need the keyboard there to do the switch.

The reason for this is that the only part of setup.S which waits for
anything is checking to see that A20 really *is* enabled.  This
probably explains why the boot sequence continues as soon as a keyboard
is plugged in.

Anyway I'm off on holiday now.  Plenty of time to think of a solution.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Colombini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Acer (texas Instrument) Extensa 500T
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:57:24 +0100

Hello everybody !
I am new to this kind of things and I hope to post my question to the right
place.
So if I am wrong forgive me.
I would like to know if anyone has already installed Linux on Acer Extensa
500T or if some one is planning to do.
I would appreciate any help on this because I woul like to install Linux on
mine.
My main problem is about X windows and were to get the right video
configuration.
Thanks everybody for your help.
Paolo Colombini

------------------------------

From: "jas shultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ICQJava Problems
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:53:32 -0700

Does licq work with javaICQ? what I mean is, if a person has an ICQ # with
miribalis, if I'm using licq will I know if their online?

Jas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve O'Hara Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: 25 Feb 1999 15:56:26 GMT

Timothy Murphy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: BSD was a re-invention of AT&T Unix.

    Um no.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CDPD wireless and Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:09:38 GMT

I have done some testing on the CDPD card from Compaq and we never
tested it on  Linux, however when we set it up as for dialup
networking, it was set up as though it was a modem. CDPD at this time
(summer of 97) was using SLIP so you might consider that. Try the
Sierra wireless unit.... they have a solid unit. Compaq's was
abandoned due to lack of customer interest.

I did see on the CNN that microsoft and some satelite company is
working on a GPS satelite net linkup with 1 meg up and 1 meg down
syncronous bandwidth.. the unit would port into a USB por on your unit
(laptop or desktop) and have a transceiver on top of your
house/car/rv/boat and also give you 1 analog device....
granted the cost might be kinda high but look at it this way... one
can then be a traveling geek/tech and really stay connected

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comps.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RH52 install hangs on SCSI detect
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:49:54 GMT

The AVA-1502 works OK under Windows NT, but Linux hangs during the
installation SCSI bus scan;  an AHA-2940 in the same slot installs
Linux just fine, but the SCSI drives are invisible to NT!  (With the
2940's "support for multiple LUN numbers" on, the CDRW shows up at
every scsi address during the 2940's bios boot, but I could find no
IRQ conflicts to account for that.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:34:03 GMT

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:10:44 +0000, Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> For Red Hat Software to promise other than "just-about-automated email"
>> support outside the USA with the "boxed sets" is extremely foolish, as
>> the cost of actually deploying support substantially more insightful
>> than "Read this HOWTO" is highly likely to exceed their expected
>> revenues on a given "box."
>
>Not only this but it shifts the burden of support onto distributors like
>myself who's earnings from selling Red Hat Linux is less than $10 a copy.
>It is not practical to increase the costs as there are now lots of
>companies around to undercut me without providing the support.
>
>As a result I now have to give a disclamier that we wont provide free
>support for Red Hat, SuSE, Caldera and other distributions unless you
>purchase a separate support contract from us.

Which obviously means that there's no "free" support.

>This of course does not stop people phoning me demanding that support
>and getting very upset and even abusive when I refuse to give it - in
>fact I have had to abandon our 0800 telephone number becuase the the
>abuse, both verbal and in the form of repeated silent calls, that we
>suffered on this front.

One of those unfortunate things that happen...

>The problem has gotten so bad that we are now having to evaluate
>whether we should not simply annouce that we will no longer sell
>products where the vendor either cannot or will not honour their
>support commitments.

The problem is that it's not clear that they have established a
"committment" to provide support, and people may read promises for
domestic support in the US for promises of support in places where
they have no contractual representation (e.g. - someone that can
legally promise things on their behalf).

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: Richard Rognlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:46:49 -0500

I ordered and installed a pair of Pentium II 300MMX processors back in
September.  However, at the time I ordered them, I apparently did not
*specify* that I wanted a matched pair.  As such, I got a

CPU 1:  Pentium II 300Mhz MMX Model 3 Step 3
CPU 2:  Pentium II 300Mhz MMX Model 5 Step 2

My system (Linux 2.2.1) works fine unless I go in SMP mode.  In that
case, it works for a while (18 hours or so) and then locks up tight.  At
first, I thought it was something in the Linux kernel, but recently I've
been informed that it is probably an incompatibility between the CPUs
themselves.

I've attempted to contact my vendor, but they are unable to assist since
they no longer stock any Pentium II 300 MMX CPUs.

Does Intel offer any form of a CPU swap service?

Does anyone out there have a Pentium II 300 MMX Model 5 Step 2 they'd
be willing to swap for a Pentium II 300 MMX Model 3 Step 3?  Or vice
verse?

Regards,

Richard Rognlie
Gamerz.NET Enterprises
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:28:59 -0800

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:08:51 -0800, Ryan Cumming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> > 1. Better GUI
>> > 2. More software
>> More software for large sums of money.  There is more free software for
>> UNIX systems.
>>

>> > 3. More Hardware support
>> > 4.  Better gaming platform
>> Or is  this one just: More games are avilable for Windows 98.
>
>I have to disagree here. DirectX services and much more 3D support make Windows a
>better platform for gaming.

        DirectX only makes things a little nicer on the sound programming
        end. DirectX itself did NOTHING for game quality or number of games.
        People targeted the 'market leader' before DirectX and did so after-
        wards. Infact, some of the leading innovators and many games prog-
        ramers in general merely tolerate DirectX as a necessary side effect
        of doing business in an M$ dominated area.

>> > 5. More consistency (see my previous post)
>> > 6. One word: Microkernel
>> I have to agree that the left-overs of the DOS `kernel' are small.
>
>Ha ha. Yeah, I realize that microkernel isn't a advantage in RL but I neeed 10
>reasons :)

        NT is a poor immitation of MACH. It really doesn't live up
        to the name. So it can't really be touted as a benefit, even
        if you think there is some inherent benefit wrt microkernels
        which has yet to be demonstrated.

>> > 7. No mounting
>> You can have automounting in linux. So this one doesn't count
>
>Niffty. How do you do this? Does it work for local file systems?

        Always has. Just use the solutions of other Unixen.

>> > 8. Better file locking
>> > 9. More multithreaded apps
>> Why is this an advantage?  Multithreading is just an implementation
>> detail to get some required functionality.
>
>This is an advantage because older apps (libc5) had to do horrible kludges for
>things that would be better with multithreading, and many apps want to retain
>backwards compatiblilty with libc5.

        Like what? When do I as a user or adminstrator benefit from
        an app that is multi-treaded versus a single or even multiple
        processes when Unix can handle multiple processes perfectly
        well.

        Furthermore, the need to maintain backwards compatibility
        is far overstated.

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Patrick Paysant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: Ls command
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:44:03 +0100

You can add an alias in a config file like .bash_profile, .bash_rc.
Just add :
alias ls='ls --color'

I generally add :
alias ls='ls -Al -color'

wich allows more infos to be printed.

Patrick

------------------------------

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 25 Feb 99 16:48:09 GMT

Richard Tobin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:writes:
: >Free software -- making the corporate programmer's job easier
:
: I write free software, but why on earth should I want to spend my time
: making life easier for people who earn twice as much as me?  I'm more
: concerned with making my tools available to other non-corporate
: programmers, people who program because they enjoy it, and who will
: let me use their programs on the same basis.
:
: If someone's going to take my code and make it proprietary - perhaps
: so that I can't even afford to use it myself - I'm damned if I can see
: why I should let them do it for nothing.

        You're assuming (wrongly) that the "corporate programmer" never
        gives back to the free stream of code that *you* yourself use.

        You are wrong, as even a quick look at the FreeBSD code base as well
        as Perl's CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) will show.

        Yes, that's "corporate programmers" *GIVING AWAY* tons of fantastic
        code to the world ON THERE COMPANY'S DIME, and with the FULL
        ENDORSEMENT and COST of there respective companies!

        Why the hell would we want to do such a thing without some stupid
        license forcing us to?

        Simple.  We do it for the exact same reasons GPLers do.  We like to
        code and we like to reuse code.  Unlike GPLers however, we also like
        to use our *own code* for something more then little toys we build
        at home.  Yes, some of these derived projects may never be released
        under a BSD or GPL license.  So what?

        We want to use our own code in the *real world*, but more
        importantly we want *others* to use our code in the real world too.
        Under BSD they we and they can.  Under GPL none of us can.

        Why?

        Because I can not so much as cut and paste 3 lines of GPL code into
        any work I do for my company, ever.  I must pretend any and all GPL
        code does not exist, completely.  What does this leave GPL code use?
        To little toys I make at home.  Too bad *my* most enjoyable coding
        actually happends to be *at work* (and may or may not be
        BSD/Artistic licensed).

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC